Percussion Software

www.percussion.com

Percussion Software Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Mark Somol

Great company culture and work environment

Customer Success Coach (Current Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsGreat co-workers and working environment

ConsUnder paid and job security is an issue

The best job I've ever had!

ProsThis is a great company to work for. Management is open and lets the entire company what is going on with product and the direction that the company is going in. Co-workers are positive about their jobs and happy to be here. There is a great work/home balance. Hard work is defiantly appreciated and rewarded! Management encourages growth and development of personal skills. We are provided with complimentary soda's; and who can resist the espresso machine! The benefits are great and HR is approachable if you have any questions. This is a great place to work and I look forward to coming to work every day.

ConsThe cafeteria in building is average

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! Appreciating employee's goes a long way!

Better than expected in every way

Manager (Current Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsAwesome culture, collaborative with emphasis on transparency and communication
    Credit always given where it's due, and kudos are always very public
    Management team makes people feel appreciated and recognized
    Many opportunities to contribute and learn about areas outside your skill set
    Has been steadily growing, and morale and confidence have been growing as well
    Amazing, interesting, talented people to work with
    Flexible hours and ability to work from home
    Loads of free parking
    Free snacks, beverages, occasional lunch or outing
    Management team does not play politics and leads in a unified fashion
    No need to compete with Boston commuters
    Clear vision and strategy and a new level of focus
    Truly outstanding product that it's easy to get behind
    Fun, energetic environment
    Good compensation package and benefits
    None of the sexist behavior that seems commonplace in tech industry

ConsHard work is expected, and if you don't pull your own weight, that won't be tolerated
    Long hours can be inevitable sometimes
    No good public transit access
    Would love more vacation time
    Very fast pace at times
    Woburn isn't super exciting to commute to

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier to define career advancement paths for people you want to retain

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Percussion

Senior Technical Consultant (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsNice location. Upper management were friendly,

ConsChaotic. I worked there for a few months. Their CMS product is hard to use. Some work was supposed to be handed over to me, but the person supposedly doing this left me with broken code, and the comment that he was billing clients in his first 2 weeks. The week long training was a joke no one was listening to the presenter. Since they to gave us so many excersizes,The middle level management seemed bored unconcerned, and directionless.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have too many managers doing very little and they have not much inclination to look at long term structural problems.

Opportunities but can be herky jerky

Manager (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsFocus is on opportunity, so if you (think you) know how to excel, you will not be limited by management.
    When business is growing, you will be rewarded.
    Generally a positive and open culture, not too much politics.

ConsNot much in the way of guided career development.
    Goes from "hot" to "cold" very quickly. One good quarter and the complaint is "why are we not scaling faster?" Then one bad quarter and the complaint switches instantly to "you scaled up too fast."

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more balanced and strategic approach to growth. A strategy that changes twice a year is not a strategy.

What a Huge Change!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsThe one thing that you need to know is that everything has changed. An organization that used to be fragmented and confused has really come together. The departments are close, and work together toward common success, and there is a huge amount of camaraderie... and a desire to do the right thing. On the Engineering side we employ an Agile methodology, Test Driven Development, Daily Stand-ups, and vigorously collect data to evaluate our performance as a group daily. We have a killer Sales team, an awesome Customer Services / Support Group, and a great Finance Team.

ConsIf it was a con... I would say that hard work and responsibility is expected. That being said the expectations are reasonable and targeted. We like to get things done and be responsible for our work individually and collectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, the amount of change in the last six months has been inspiring.

Had such promise...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsThe advantage of working here was actually the result of one of the "cons" listed below. The company lacked any real order, strategy or direction and because of that individuals had the ability to step up and be exposed to all aspects of the business.

ConsThe "help" that was brought in led to the near demise of the organization. Odd behavior, horrible leadership and training created an environment for finger pointing, every man for themselves-type culture and ultimately failure in just about every aspect of the business. Extremely unprofessional behavior from leadership roles developed a frat-house atmosphere with crude language as the norm. Company changed directions on a weekly basis sometimes with no real reason other than someone yelling about something.

The company had such promise at one point and there was a sense of a real team being developed which was abruptly cut with the "help" mentioned above.

Perhaps things have changed now these people have left.

Account Manager

Account Executive (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsGreat fun and fast paced work environment
    Great sales training from people who have built successful software companies
    I really felt like management had a stake in my personal success and development (not just a number)
    They reward for success, my salary accelerated quickly

ConsBe ready to work hard

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Not a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPleasant office space. Convenient location at 128/93. Nice coworkers (most have been laid off however). Product had potential, but company let go all the people with the ability to pull it out of the rut.

ConsOverly political. Some on exec and management team would happily throw others under the bus for their own gain, did so on a regular basis, and were rewarded for it. Series of bad business decisions resulted in low revenue and never being able to pull themselves up. Immature sales team and sales management, with very poor interpersonal and management skills. The loudest talkers and sycophants were rewarded, regardless of actual productivity.

Company went from great to bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen I started the salary and comp plan were great. The people in the company were great, easy to work with, smart, fun and very helpful. I have learned a great deal about the Content Management and from the people I worked with. Everybody worked hard and played hard. It was just a good work culture. I made some great friends.

ConsLack of direction. No body knew where the company is going. I think the politics spoiled the success the company was having and good people started to leave. Suddenly the main product was thrown away for a simpler, cheaper and with minimum functionality. Management started throwing employees under the bus to cover up their mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with some respect and have some integrity.

Worked for Percussion Software? Contribute to the Community!