Perdue

Jim Perdue

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hard Work, Long Hours, Short Fuses

I worked at Perdue as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsLearn plenty. Team oriented. Involved in many projects simultaneously. Smart people. Customer focus

ConsUrgency nature of a perishable product. Always a non controllable crisis ~ weather, grain costs, etc.
Very long hours.

Not for everyone!

I worked at Perdue full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and the locations are easy to get to without having to commute from very far. They have allot of luncheons which is nice but not very health oriented.

ConsManagement is unprofessional at some of the Perdue offices. It really does depend on what location you are working at. Corporate is a totally different world from the plants and the transportation departments at Perdue.The Corporate office seems to have a much better grip on professionalism.
 Mid level Managers are beyond unprofessional and have accepted the standard answer for all situations as "It is what it is". Because people work in open environments and the management staff tends to stir trouble and fuel back biting the attitudes at Perdue are like cancer. Most of the management have never worked anywhere except Perdue and as a result they have no experiences to pull from.
terrible communication across the board! Policies that were very important to your daily job tasks would take place and my manager would literally say, "OH! I guess I forgot to tell you guys". And I am serious!
Most of the people at Perdue are good people who are just trying to earn a decent wage to feed their families. The wages are decent but nothing to get excited about. The only people who make a good wage are salaried employees and that is nothing to strive for because once you are salaried, Perdue will get 60-70 hours out of you a week. Once you do the math your not getting paid very much to be working on your laptop at your kids birthday party or wedding.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pitting your employees against one another. Encourage TEAM attitudes. Listen to your employees and nip negativity in the bud from the get go.
But here is the biggest advice of all.....COMMUNICATE! It is basic business practice taught to second year business students to communicate with employees. If you want your employees to work hard for you then make them happy! Something as simple as keeping open lines of communication can make the biggest difference. When I worked at Perdue it was common practice for a policy change to take place with no notification and when it was brought to our attention it was treated like no big deal unless it put a manager in the HOT seat.

For the most part very good. Very political. Not a large sense of empowerment, especially in IT.

I worked at Perdue full-time

ProsThere for a number of years. Good projects for the most part until the industry ran into hard times - high grain prices.

ConsPolitics is very big at Perdue. I was asked to bribe a vendor and not pay invoices by my supervisor. When I went to his boss and to HR, no one wanted to listen. Had to leave, cant work for a company like that.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your associates. Let associates do there jobs without fear. You say you are ethical, but your actions don't follow that up.

Great Brand, Dysfunctional organization

I have been working at Perdue full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLargest Corporate Employer in the area. Attempting to become more consumer packaged goods oriented.

ConsNo career path or employee development. Recently reorganized but the new leaders do not embody the values espoused by the organization. Very poor communication between Executives and associates and little regard for associates - typical of having too many Ex Conagra people in leadership. Associates feel trapped because it is the only major employer in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue associates. Provide tools and resources to associates needed for them to be successful. Don't promote people into leadership who don't exhibit the values of the organization.

depends on the manager

I have been working at Perdue full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood friendly people, open work environment. Great pay for the area. Strong business which is repostioning itself to be less commodity driven which means it will less impacted less by significant changes is prices of corn, grain, etc

ConsPerdue is still stuck in a very "Eastern Shore" way of thinking. Talent is being brought in from other geographical areas and they are making a major difference in the company

Advice to Senior Managementclosely scrutinize middle to lower level management. I have had experiences with all levels of management, and management styles and effectiveness range from poor to excellent, but the ineffective managers are allowed to continue to be poor leaders as long as they have a friend at least one level up in the organization.

Horrifying

I worked at Perdue

ProsThey role out the red carpet when they hire you on and relocate you if necessary. It was close to home, but the area isn't very nice.

ConsThere are days that many employees literally dread coming to work. The management style is management by fear and intrepidation. I personnally knew of coworkers who had to go on anti-anxiety medication as a result of working there. I knew of one small pocket of satisfied employees, but the vast majority were and are very dissatisfied. Stay far away from this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and start over. The old style of management that seems to be typical on the Eastern Shore does not work, and the company is suffering for it.

This is a good place to work.

I worked at Perdue

ProsPerdue provides many learning and advancement opportunities. Compensation is above average making it one of the highest paying employers in the area.

ConsThe good pay comes with very high performance expectations and workload. The company culture is extremely political. Long hours and high stress are part of the package.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should become aware that much time and effort is wasted performing near meaningless tasks to gain recognition for phony achievements to play the game. The "game" has gotten out of hand.

Need work release from prison?

Plant Superintendent (Current Employee)
Salisbury, MD

I have been working at Perdue

ProsAt the corporate level, respect and hard work are appreciated.

ConsAt the plant level be prepared to operate the the 60's mentality with continuous violations of Labor Laws

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better management skills and more knowledge of the federal labor laws

Good company that is demanding but well rewards those who contribute.

Live Accounting Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Perdue

ProsIs a privately own company and is on the third generation of family management. Very secure company financially. Has always shown a sense of loyalty to its associates. Has always had an open door policy all the way to the top. Jim Perdue is like his father and grandfather in that all are people of high moral character and really care about the welfare of their employees.

ConsThe industry is highly competitive and is always much cost cutting. In the past 10 years there has been numerous times of downsizing of the workforce. It is a very demanding company. Best quantified as not what you did for me yesterday but what are you going to do for me today. Is not a company that you can sit back and go along for the ride. If you do not make a noticable difference then you probably will not find a long term career there.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrank Perdue was a person of great innovation. This seems to be lacking since his son Jim took over the company. Now it seems that is no innovation but just cost cutting. That type of thinking is never going to grow the company as happened under the management of Frank Perdue. Frank Perdue was very involved in the day to day operation of the company but Jim Perdue is not. That type of participation by Jim is not going to advance the company as it did under the management of his father Frank Perdue. No matter how good of management is hired is no one that is going to have the interest of the company at heart more then the owner. Jim needs to be more active in setting the direction of the company. I do not feel that is enough demanded of top management.

Worked for Perdue? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Perdue reviews and ratings in Salisbury, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Perdue CEO Jim Perdue. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Perdue employees.