Perfect Sense Digital

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Gang

Love collaborating with smart, dedicated people

I have been working at Perfect Sense Digital

ProsCollaboration and teamwork are always encouraged, producing good ideas and great work.
People are experienced, talented and smart.

The company contributes a significant amount of work-in-kind to charities and causes every year.

Great clients with a lot of variety in the work. Projects are are fun, challenging, and rewarding.

Beautiful, bright office space in the Reston Town Center.

Lots of perks including monthly company lunches, gym membership, sports tickets, company-wide vacation during the week between Christmas and New Years.

ConsProject timelines are sometimes compressed due to the fast-paced environment.

Talented engineers, fun work environment, great location, and awesome clients!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Perfect Sense Digital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPerfect Sense Digital is a great company. They work hard for their clients. It's clients were were high-profile (Foodnetwork, Coca-Cola, etc...). The challenges were many but nothing was too difficult or challenging for it's wide-array of talented engineers.

Perfect Sense Digital was a breeding ground for advanced web-technology. Spawning some individuals who are arguably considered 'visionaries' in a variety of opensource communities.

Tooling was often built in-house thus making non-client work an option to engineers seeking variety.

Scrum was at practice for a number of projects. Leadership was well-communicated and on task nearly ALL the time.

ConsExhausting. Worked to 'death' as some would say. Taken advantage of. Lots of blatant yells and screams when projects fell short of deadlines (deadlines that were made without engineering input).

Not enough reward, if any. Leadership never asked for feedback.

The people at Perfect Sense are "group" oriented. Like a high school cafeteria. It had its share of the different types of crowds. More so than you'd find at most companies. This may have been because of Perfect Sense's roots in AOL.

Personal growth was impossible. If you were a valuable engineer then there is likely no-chance (even after communicating) for a career move or role change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people like people and not 'wrenches'. Be strict about how long your engineer's should work. Don't pile work on anyone. Don't yell or scream like children when stuff hits the fan.

It's 2014, learn to talk to people who make your company what it is.

Great Location, Terrible Company

I worked at Perfect Sense Digital

ProsReston Town Center and the office are both beautiful.

ConsManagement is terrible, you can only succeed if you're part of the "in-crowd" and the turnover rate is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people to manage your company, it's a sinking ship.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging and creative environment

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Perfect Sense Digital full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat environment where everyone is willing to help each other out.
Flat structure is nice, the CEO gets to know everyone personally.
Solid benefits, gym membership is a nice perk.
Some flexibility to work from home when needed.

ConsSome lack of project diversity, most projects are built using the company product.
Annual performance reviews - somewhat non-existent.
Working towards tight deadlines can be demanding - occasional weekend work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has a lot of potential for growth. Keep hiring great developers, and open up the company to new product opportunities.

Don't Waste Your Time and Energy

I worked at Perfect Sense Digital

ProsThey've got a fairly nice office and okay health benefits.

ConsFrom the outside it looks like a pretty decent place, but once you get in the grim reality is that the place is toxic. Senior management is overbearing, chauvinistic, and tyrannical. You will be dropped into an impossible situation, then made to feel incompetent, then told to work harder and longer to bail the owners out of their mess. It's really a terrible place, so do yourself a favor and don't waste your time and emotional energy.

Also, management clearly writes multiple false Glassdoor reviews. Just look at the dichotomy of the reviews. It doesn't take a lot of thinking to realize the good ones are fake.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe decent to people. You can't just throw money at people and expect them to just take emotional and verbal beatings day in and day out.

Utter disregard for employees, blatant favoritism

I worked at Perfect Sense Digital full-time for less than a year

ProsGood location, Benefits, Nice office

ConsBlatant favoritism of a select few
Utter disregard for employees unless you are part of the clique.
Expected to work long hours to make unrealistic schedules
Sweatshop with high turnover
Most are fired or leave before 1 year
Indiscriminate firing that makes no sense
Slave hours without a single word of thanks from Sr. Management
Employees are squeezed to make profit for Sr. Management
Routine berating, public humiliation
Talked down by Sr. Management like you are an idiot
Vague directions and you are expected to read Sr. Management's mind. Yelled and humiliated when you don't get it right.
Fired over vaguest thing

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to chill, trust your employees
Stop blatant favoritism of select few who aren't even great
Don't treat employees like slaves
Take the time to recognize hard work by those who do the work
Forget the clique in the club. Don't play favorites with your yes monkeys over the efforts of everyone else in the company

Worst experience of my career

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Perfect Sense Digital full-time for less than a year

ProsNice location, nice office, lots of perks like great free coffee and free baseball tickets, Mac-based, company willing to spend money for new equipment and software. Interesting an innovative work. Talented people.

ConsLots of favoritism. Very high turnover. There is an "old boys club" there among management and early employees. Management berates and mistreats employees. Company does not provide clear expectations of employees, which results in misunderstanding and miscommunication that usually leads to someone being fired. Long hours, you will be paid for 40 hours and expected to work 60. Like a lot of agencies, they stay afloat by bringing in new business and piling it on top of the existing work, which results in an ever-increasing workload for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a reason your turnover is so high, and if you're wondering what it is, look in the mirror. You may have your expectations met more frequently if you would make them clear from the beginning, and work to correct problems rather than just firing people.

Devoid of respect or praise for your work

ProsShort commute from northern VA
Interesting product ideas
Talented developers

ConsMicro-managed due to lack of trust in their employees.

Senior Management is disrespectful to the staff – talking down to you, talking behind backs, diminishing your skills or opinions till you "learn" you don't have any.

Project progress is often stifled through lack of communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and they will respect you back.

Only for the Desperate.

I worked at Perfect Sense Digital full-time for more than a year

ProsThey have a great business model, the work is new, refreshing and top notch clients. Their platform is good and they hire great talent. The office is beautiful and well located in Reston Town Center. Good medical and matching benefits.

ConsThe Sr. Management of this company do not care about their employees. Yelling and berating employees, firing without cause and withholding bonuses is a typical day at the office. You are expected to work weekends. The attrition rate is 30%. That's people leaving on their own. There are a few teacher's pets that can do no wrong and don't help others.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax and respect your employees.

This is NOT a good place to work

I worked at Perfect Sense Digital full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some nice people amongst the rank and file, a few good clients, decent benefits

ConsBe careful with this place. They have a very slick pitch, making the company sound like a wonderful place to work with a great atmosphere.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Top management has a severe anger problem. Routine berating and humiliation in front of other and in front of clients is common. It is very common for very vague direction to be given, and then more berating when you don't get the task exactly right. If you're liked there, you're treated with little respect. If you're unknown or not "in the club", you're treated with utter disrespect. People generally don't last very long there.

Please, save yourself the trouble stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect.

Worked for Perfect Sense Digital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Perfect Sense Digital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Perfect Sense Digital CEO David Gang. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Perfect Sense Digital employees.