Perfect World Entertainment

Cool People

Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great potential. One of the leading company for F2P PC gaming industry

Cons

Lack of training for career development.

Great culture and co-workers

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time

Pros

There are many opportunities for advancement within. The environment is excellent and the co-workers are fun and personable.

Cons

Because a lot of the talent is home grown, the company could use some outside perspective to help with business practices.

Lack of collaboration and weak leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment

Pros

The people, the location, parking, nice building, good benefits

Cons

CEO and others lack emotional intelligence. There is no transparency. They can't keep good HE folks.

A Nightmare on Twin Dolphin Street

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're really lazy, you can do very little work, and get a consistent paycheck. Not everybody would consider that a pro, but I have to type at least twenty words. The benefits offered are nice. There used to be great people who worked here, but they've mostly moved on.

Cons

They will pay you as little as they possibly can, and the raises you'll receive are just as meager. You can take on additional responsibilities, but you will never be considered for promotion unless you're friends with the correct individuals. This creates a very divisive work environment, where office politics are much more important than actually working. Consequently, very little actual work gets done, except for the putting out of constant fires that the utter lack of management and direction provides. I've never worked anywhere else where this constant state of panic and disarray is considered "normal."

Perhaps you haven't found your calling.

If you insist on carrying on, then at least know this. You don't know everything. Just in case you think you might have misread:

You don't know everything.

This means that you need to listen to the people "beneath" you who work in that "cesspool." Those people look at your products all day. Some of their jobs are to find out what's wrong with them. Some of their jobs are to listen to what users have to say about them. Some of them are actually tasked with fixing them. You don't actually pay those people to be the butts of your jokes, and the targets of your ire. You have to listen to what they say, and provide them with the resources they need to succeed. You cannot just claim to have an "open door" policy, and then tell whoever steps through that "open door" to go away. The next time you find yourself yelling at somebody who could have fixed a problem, stop yelling and think about how to not get in that situation the next time. Otherwise, the same thing will go wrong again.

Oh, by the way, you should hire people that are actually qualified for the positions they apply for. I understand that you'll have to pay them an actual competitive salary, and they may not be the person you want to hang out with after work, but it will be worth it in the end. Trust me.

A nice game company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All people are nice to work with.
    You get a lot of freedom to do your own stuff and opportunities to learn new tech.

Cons

The building is really big. You can play TV games, Ping Pong in the office. There are a lot of meeting rooms with really nice names:P

All the competent people leave, only leaving the incompetent to work with

Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are passionate about the games, Most people are friendly, snacks, and Friday beer party. Great games. Great office to work in. Location is good.

Cons

You can't trust anyone. Anything you say to another person gets around to others. People complain about you to others behind your back. There are many clicks and groups that exclude others. There is favoritism in promotions and positions stay open a very long time.

Management does not communicate the business strategy and they change the business strategy all the time without communicating the change to the employees. Management is separate from the employees and everything is top down. You are told what your Performance Metrics are and told what to do. The departments are silo'd so we don't know what the other departments are doing.

The Chinese are taking over the Engineering function and they don't speak English very well. Really, you can't understand them and they always agree with you, when they don't really understand what you are saying.

The business is based on great Chinese and Cryptic Studios games. There is no real creativity at PWE. They are just a publisher.

The CEO is from China and is a poor leader and aloof. He just doesn't get how to lead or motivate employees in the US. The CEO expects everyone to work 50 or more hours a week while he leaves early.

The rest of the executive team is just as bad. Every time I spoke to an executive, they did not listen and they ended up telling me what I had to do to become a better employee. They say there is an open door policy - but all the doors are closed - literally and figuratively.

What they tell you in the interview process about the culture, the people and the work environment is just not true. All the good people leave after they have been there a year. The pay is low and I got a significant salary increase when I left.

Most of the positive reviews you read, were written by PWE management or PR.

Good luck. You really can't screw it up more than it already is. I would get a new Leadership team and create a new culture.

A lot of potential for Perfect World...

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time

Pros

Laid-back, cross-functional, friendly coworkers, benefits paid 100%, ping pong!

Cons

Needs an employee/management training program, business goals need to be defined, understaffed (but what place isn't right now?)

There is room for some great potential here as the business grows and ventures into new markets other than F2P PC gaming. Just remember that those who work here are just as important as the bottom line. People don't mind working hard, they actually would prefer it...as long as recognition in any form (even a "Great Job!" from your direct manager) is given once in awhile. Feeling like you are a part of a bigger picture is key!

It's a Free-To-Play MMO company, what else do I need to say?

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to get experience in the game industry. Even if you start at the very bottom, if you show that you are capable of taking on more responsibilities, they will very quickly be given to you.

Great people. I will really miss a lot of the people I worked with here. Good place to network, because the game industry is smaller than you think! Everyone who works here knows somebody at that company you actually want to work for.

Good medical benefits. After working at some other game companies that really skimp on the benefits, I was glad to be able to get some of my medical issues sorted out at little cost to myself. Plenty of PTO hours: I almost always had enough PTO saved up to take a full week off without making a dent in my total.

Monthly townhall meetings keep everyone well informed about the company's progress and future plans, with Q&A sessions at the end for employees to ask questions about anything not mentioned. Communication has improved a lot in the past few years.

Lots of parties (I look forward to the awesome Christmas party with its raffle prizes and open bar all year), free beer hour on Fridays, and the traditional half day (with full pay) the day before every holiday. Cryptic gets two weeks off for holidays in December, but the main PWE office does not (though practically everyone spends their PTO to take this time off anyway).

Kitchen is always well-stocked with free healthy snacks, really good coffee, a wide variety of tea, breakfast cereals and milk, instant ramen and oatmeal, and further less-healthy snacks and sodas in the vending machines nearby. Forgetting to bring my lunch to work was rarely a problem. There are free lunches every Wednesday. Monthly town hall meetings on Fridays are almost always catered as well.

Cons

Pay is way too low for the amount of work they ask you to do, and for the cost of living in that area. This has been snowballing out of control for the past couple of years. We had two rounds of layoffs a couple of years ago that forced a lot of people to take on the job duties of multiple people. Those people then realized that they could get paid more (sometimes twice as much) elsewhere, so they left. Their responsibilities are then handed to the remaining people without increasing their pay accordingly, and the cycle continues. Company loses people faster than it can replace them (sometimes more than one per week), and many of the new people don't stay more than a few months.

Little recognition of a job well done. Three people are chosen every quarter based on some very specific criteria, and they get a large bonus and some public recognition during the townhall meeting. If you're not one of those three people, there's little reason to put much effort into your tasks. Yearly metrics and bonuses are mostly determined on a company/department-wide basis, and individual employees have little control over the outcome.

The clique atmosphere and people getting promoted because they're friends with management that some other people here mentioned is much less of a problem than it used to be because so many of those people have left for greener pastures as well, but is still an issue. Company still has a 3rd floor peons vs. 4th floor management feeling.

Few people at this company care about the games they're making or have even played them. If a game is profitable, that is good enough. Text bugs are easy to fix, but all other issues are tossed in the database and left to rot indefinitely unless they have a direct effect on the game's cash flow. Emails to the overseas developers regarding issues are often ignored. If a game earns little money but has potential to be a really good game, there are few attempts to improve it; it instead receives less and less attention, causing it to perform even more poorly. New people come into the company with excitement about being in the game industry, but soon become just as jaded as the rest of us when faced with this apathy.

Few opportunities for career advancement. There used to be a program where you could shadow an employee in another department, in order to learn more about their job and get you on the path to moving into a similar position in the future, but it has been a very long time since that last happened, most likely because the HR department has more turnover than any other. Whenever someone asks about it at the townhall meetings, the response is "we're working on it". There is no reimbursement for college classes that might improve your career qualifications, nor any other kind of employee improvement programs or training for useful new skills. They will say they would like to do that if you ask them, but actually implementing them is apparently too difficult.

I hear a lot in the monthly townhall meetings about how much money the company is making; pass some of that on to the employees to hold on to your best talent before you lose the ones you have left.

Keeping employees happy with parties and booze is great, but you should put more effort into training the good people you have so that they can move forward in their careers, rather than trying to hire people from outside who have the required qualifications but have no idea how things are done here or any sense of loyalty to the company. Your employees are valuable, and many of them would like to be more useful to the company but lack the proper training to move into a more appropriate role.

Working at the company is a great learning opportunity (ramp up here), but it doesn't focus on its employees long-term.

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time

Pros

Can be tasked with new duties quickly, strong resources, and the goals set are high, a great learning opportunity overall

Cons

Very cliquish, lack of a focus on long-term retention of employees, upper management doesn't seem aware of what's going on with the lower-rungs of the company (this might be different now)

Invest in your employees, it'll pay off more in the long-run than simply squeezing work out of them based on their passion and naivety for games

I worked there for 2.5 years and ended up bitter and disgruntled.

Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Engineering department, QA department, and Customer Service departments are staffed with really nice, really knowledgeable people. There's cereal and beer fridays. Unfortunately the good people are pidgeonholed and eventually leave when they cant get promotions or what they want from their career.

Cons

Nepotism is rampant at the mid to upper management level. Infrastructure is crumbling. The QA and Customer Service department work twice as hard with half the support necessary to do their jobs correctly. Promotions are based heavily on favoritism and there's a major unwillingness to promote from within.

The first major layoff they let go of a lot of senior members of the company, many whom seemed let go due to being paid too much rather than lack of work output or talent.

The second layoff was more of the same, and came very shortly on the heels of the first one.

Company likes to spend money when it has it but has little long term goals for sustainability of business. Money is allocated heavily to marketing and PR to get new users rather than allocated to retention of users. Budget is allocated to food and tchoctke's to try to appease employees rather than raises and career advancement help.

The infrastructure is terrible. The main website that users use is at least 8 years outdated and suffers from many bugs that artificially generate work for the CS department. The engineering department continues to shrink because they cannot afford to pay for talent and the workload doubles for them with each loss.

Insane ideas and experiments are rampant amongst the senior management and directors. Case in point, while the company is crumbling, they allocate resources to creating a homegrown game management platform akin to Origin or Steam called ARC. Unfortunately, they're building a second story addition to a burning home by allocating people to this project that suffers from constant delays and issues. It's like the Aperture Sciences of the game industry.

There's a general distrust of the General Manager and those close to him but most people who have voiced displeasure when I was there are now gone from the company.

At some point they planned to outsource the entire Customer Service department. Unfortunately, they didn't provide adequate career advancement for those who would be affected so the bulk of the department ended up looking for jobs because they feared they were about to be laid off. When those plans fell through, the department had shrunk significantly and the duties that were allocated to senior leads were given to recently employed contractors.

Get rid of the general manager or move the power away from him. Anyone who is ostensibly steering a company through two layoffs and a progressively shrinking business would be fired for incompetence from another company.

Establish better practices with the parent corporation in Beijing. Fixes, updates, and improvements to the business are constantly delayed due to weeklong holidays in China which are a regular occurrence for half the year.

Pay your employees and show that you value them. I was tasked with the duties of a lead Customer Service rep about 11 months into my job. I did not receive the actual title change and pay raise until 9 months afterward, despite doing the job since January of 2013. When I did receive my title, the actual pay raise was pathetically low compared to the increase in responsibility. Others have been doing the tasks of higher level positions too and have never received a title change and appropriate pay for their position.

Promote from within. I applied to be a Community Manager, a job I held before working here, a staggering six times. Each time was after I received more training and knowledge of our products, users, etc. The last attempt was after I used a lot of social currency to pull favors to get the company 24 hour stream some traffic.

Stop kludging with workarounds and a mentality that adequate equals working. Good enough is not good enough long term for any business. Start listening heavily to QA and CS since they're bringing real issues and concerns from the users to the table.

Invest in your engineering department, they're the lifesblood of the company and when people are gone, it's months if not years before their position is filled.

Do a thorough audit of the company and identify key problems in the company, even if you don't like the results.

Perfect World Entertainment Photos