Perfect World Entertainment Reviews

2.9
Perfect World Entertainment CEO Robert Hong Xiao
Robert Hong Xiao

IT network engieer

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Always action - get to travel - good learning opportunity

Cons

- do not pay well - a lot of overtime - benefit is not good

2. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can demonstrate your ability to accept more responsibilities, you will get the chance to do something you really are interested in.

Cons

Departments are lack of communication and collaboration. To finish a project you need to do lots of follow ups to get things done.

Advice to Management

Management should have an open door policy and listen to their employees. Also to attract more talents, company should willing to provide more flexible work schedule.

In decline

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The individuals are great. The people that work there (or did at the time I was there) were quality people.

Cons

Management seems adrift. No clear direction and no visionaries to move them to a better place The hours were ridiculous - in that they required employees to work from 10AM to 7PM. Great for singles, but for folks that have family it was a nightmare (say hello to your kids on the weekend).

Advice to Management

Hire an executive staff that has vision and can execute on that vision. Run the company like a Silicon Valley company - just because some senior staff need to be available for conference calls to China does not mean the entire staff does.

Incompetent management. Rampant office politicsmanagement

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great benefits, 401K, good people

Cons

Unless you are Sr. Management, your work will be undervalued and not appreciated - you are nothing but a commodity in here. Poor career growth opportunities/zero mentorship - only those good at politics survive. Horrible salaries - Considering amount of work load, you make less than the minimum hourly wages.

Good People, Bad Management

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people there are cool - laid back and easy to work with. I've made some good friends there. The benefits are outstanding - free health, dental, and vision insurance, good 401k matching, and other perks

Cons

Base salary is on the low side, even for a game company. Communication between different departments tends to be pretty poor, and there is no strong management to bring it all together. Projects are started on with little regard to requirements or how they will affect other departments. The technology is mostly years out of date and poorly used besides - on top of that, management is unwilling or unable to keep skilled technical people on staff. Every time someone quits or is let go, the burden becomes worse on those left. Suggestions for improvements tend to be ignored. Advancement opportunities are practically nonexistent, unless you're buddies with someone higher up.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more and stop keeping "yes-men" around. You are bleeding talent right now.

good for new graduates who need to enter the gaming industry

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- most co-workers are passionate and young professionals who love what they are doing; - fast paced and fun work environment; - good benefits

Cons

- pay is below industry standard - lack of transparency from the management level - turnover rate is high

Poor salary and lack of good management

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool people on the team, great benefits

Cons

Odd hours (10am to 7pm)...what happened to silicon valley flexibility? No telecommuting policy, so forget working from home luxury (for most departments) Takes over a year if not more to promote from hourly or from associate title (and you're still not guaranteed the promotion or the well-deserved raise) Lack of management across all departments, no clear vision and no career growth/training Very poor salary range if compared to current industry standards Outdated tools and old technology, company is 10 years behind High turnover rates, people always coming and going Too many green kids or recent grads, nobody to learn from, no mentors

Advice to Management

Provide more training and mentoring to your subordinates! Establish a clear vision and execute it properly! Upgrade technologies and tools to 21 century

Dour company run on inertia with no real direction.

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time

Pros

Fantastic healthcare and okay 401k. Good starting off position to break into the industry or a place to keep checks coming in while you look for better work. Additionally, all the people actually making stuff happen were great to work with. While most people didn't really care much about the games, they work really hard to make the best with what they have (little to no department financial resources, checked-out upper management, disingenuous team leaders). The admins there were so nice, and everyone with a human bone in their body were really such a treat to work with. Once you get used to the 10-7 hours, it's actually not so bad, and the location is pretty solid on the peninsula. Sometimes the parties are kinda fun, the bi-annual movie is nice, the snacks were nice. It's not something like Facebook, but they did try to make being there a little more home-like.

Cons

You're seeing a company deeply focused on making money (which, duh) but treats their employees as a resource in a way that is wildly out of line with comparable companies. You are to be used up and pushed out, and don't for a second think you're not expendable. Expect to be underpaid while half your team over works and the other half has little to do, then see some of the best team members leave or get pushed out or laid off. They had three HR directors come in and out within a year. Maybe four depending on how you count. The most senior at the company are disengaged from their employees, and do expect to go six months to a year to see a replacement manager for your department as roles and titles are shifted around willy-nilly. Find that many managers to have more than a fair share of poor interpersonal skills and just learn how to deal with the bizarre quirks that quickly manifest as something much more antagonistic to your day to day work life. I've had bald-faced lies said to me by management, and work evaluations come months late. Don't expect much by learning or growth or promotions or incentives to become a better employee. I worked on the third floor and the cultural tension between us down there and those on the fourth floor were palpable. It was more than weird. But really? Some of the most frustrating situations aren't even based in the actions of the senior staff; it's the parent company in China. Focus is placed on poorly matched products for the NA and EU markets, which even with the full push of everyone from engineering, product management, community, marcom, the whole of PWE, those products do terribly, and it's PWE's fault. For everyone from CEO Alan Chen to the lowest QA person, that's a terrible situation to be in, and one I would hardly call fair. Finally, an employee at PWE is seen as a representative of a very negative brand by consumers, and even interactions between members within PWE or developer Cryptic is always seen with distrust. It's not fun. I wouldn't say many people there are really happy. All the nicest people leave within a very short period of time, and the company has a stunning approach towards churn. For a place that once had loads of folks with 3-5 years under their belt, in a year's time whole departments were being soft-led by junior to mid-level employees who were willing to step up to the plate for the extra responsibilities for a possible promotion, with little to no training or push for improvement. They often end up being the focal point of criticism for their leadership roles, even though they get no promotion, no raise, nothing. I wouldn't recommend taking a job here. If you do, don't offer this place an inch of loyalty, and be like the most successful and use it as a jumping off point to something better.

Advice to Management

To the management, I would advise they take a step back and look at what they plan on doing for the next five years. What does PWE want to be and how can it get there without destroying the employees that work there. I would recommend that managers match the standards and norms of their subordinates. Be at work on time. Stay till 7. Actually show up to the parties the company throws. Engage with your team members. Be a human being. Set the standard as opposed to being an exception to it. Product-wise, I hope PWE can line something up that fits the needs of players in NA and EU. F2P games aren't evil, and I would love to see PWE be on the forefront of creative, exciting, monetizable games without relying on the same old procedures. It sucks when really great products are ignored because players can't get past that F2P stigma, and I recommend they work to figure out how to do F2P in a way that might be seen as almost ethical. Ultimately, I think there needs to be a cultural shift at PWE. Try to find it.

10. Growing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy coming in to work everyday. Everyone that I work with is professional, the company has good benefits and they have nice events throughout the week.

Cons

The pay is below the industry standard, so there is a lot of turnover. Even though most of them really like the company and people, they can make so much more elsewhere it's not really enough to keep them.

I have been working for about a year, full-time.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's clean on the inside of the building. They pay good benefits when game sales are on the rise. Customers open their wallets and that's a good thing for business.

Cons

The Community Managers do not communicate with teams. They are out most of the time 'running their errands' and almost unavailable. Just recently a new Executive was hired and there is still no communication with the rest of the team. A mistake was made recently in a game and best they could do was extend an event. Players deserve more than that. I used to play the game before recent changes have been made because of the Executive decisions. The player-base have submitted their results of particular game-play and have continuously been ignored. This isn't a good way to run a company. Making a paycheck while all the above is going on is very tough.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to do your job. Listen to the team and the players. Stick around instead of 'running errands'. Do all the above and the company will be a success. If the company wants to keep losing customers, keep doing what you are doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed