Perficient Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

If you are looking for a body shop, work here!

I have been working at Perficient full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent project work. Decent pay.

Cons

You are a number.
    Zero employee appreciation.
    No clear path for success.
    Management needs anger management classes.

Advice to Management

Learn that the most successful companies take care of their employees.

2. Great

I worked at Perficient

Pros

Awesome culture, super talented employees, autonomy

Cons

Employees who work closely with founders are the ones who get promoted to senior positions quicker than those who work equally hard but have a lower profile.

Advice to Management

See above.

Decent Employer but no room for growth in SBU's

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant

I worked at Perficient full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent Salaries, knowledge sharing among the divisions.

Cons

Poor Career development methodology. People have a better chance of moving up by going out rather than within the organisation.

Advice to Management

Improve HR.

Give up your life.

I worked at Perficient

Pros

Learn lots of stuff quickly

Cons

No work life balance and constantly changing requirements. Job Shop and travel all the time.

Advice to Management

None

In my opinion, their IT Management is weak, as is my ability to trust the company, generally.

Former Employee - Human Resources/Payroll Support in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources/Payroll Support in Plano, TX

I worked at Perficient full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honesty I can't think of any reason that a qualified individual would choose, if there were ANY other opportunities, to work, or in other words used their hard earned skills, at Perficient.

Cons

There is generally a lack of communications from top management down. Perficient is engaged in a "wild" (undisciplined) acquisition strategy, and their IT management is totally unprepared to manage qualified people with a management style that is best characterized as managing with anger and with little facts.

Advice to Management

Change your IT leadership.

Ok company

I have been working at Perficient

Pros

Good company for gaining experience.

Cons

Management seems to be a bit chaotic.

IT heavyweight but lacks vision for the future in Healthcare

I worked at Perficient full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bright, hardworking consultants who passionately believe in their work

Cons

Lack of vision for Healthcare, mostly dependent upon those who have little working knowledge of the Healthcare space but believe they have all of the answers. Lack of working organizational structure which changes with a whim

Advice to Management

Find a Healthcare leader who will drive your vision and provide structure

Sleazy Culture

Former Employee - Solution Architect in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Solution Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at Perficient

Pros

Have Nothing positive to say

Cons

I was sold a bill of goods during the interview, the advertised position and the actual role were completely different. I left a very major prestigious software company where I worked for over a decade to come here and I knew I had made a terrible mistake by my second day. I was hired to "Build the Practice" but I had absoutely no such opportunity. I was just another delivery resource in the end. And I was very clear that I did not want to be a delivery consultant.

I can't speak for the rest of the company, but the Oracle Tech practice is vapor. This company in my opinion is nothing more than a glorified body shop. They sell themselves as a Soutions Consulting Company but they do not hire to the bench, which is to say they do not have any substantive technical resources on the payroll. My direct experience was that they would sell expertise which they do not have in house and in the event that they sold the engagement, they would then try to find the expertise off of the street, basically hiring on demand. Management was incompetent with no Oracle experience whatsoever.

I felt I was being compelled to lie everytime I was asked to write a Statement of Work, knowing that we did not have the expertise in house. Many conversations with sales revolved around how we convey to the customer that we actually had experience in some particular technology when in fact we did not.

I would get a request from a sales person for a statement of work, (usually I never even got to speak with the customer in order to perform a proper discovery). I would write the SOW, then send the skills requirments to the recruiter. The recruiter would initiate a search to find people with the skills that matched the requirements in the SOW, and then string along the candidates while they tried to sell the solution to the customer.

The other laughable aspect is that everyone was an Architect irrespective of experience. I personally worked with someone being billed out as an Oracle SOA Architect when they had absolutely no experiene with Java, SOA Architectures, Jdeveloper, Oracle Middleware, SQL, etc. The minimal Oracle knowledge was aquired while employed there installing a demo system.

The culture is creepy. I felt isoslated, there was no sense of teamwork, it felt more like I was working at a car dealership. Everything revolved around making the quarterly numbers.

Finally I had enough, and when I gave 2 weeks notice I was informed that day was my last and got jipped out of my final 2 weeks notice pay. So even though I can say I took the high road, this action speaks volumes about the integrity of this company. I was ignored by HR and upper management. No one ever returned any of my emails. They demand 2 weeks notice, but don't expect to get paid for it. Many people just quit. Now I understand why.

Final note, Don't beleive the positive reviews here. I made the same mistake and only read the first few. There seems to be a concerted effort by management to post a bunch of positive reviews to push the bad ones back a few pages. Read all of them, I did after the fact, and regreted ever working for this horrible place.

Advice to Management

Not worth my time.

Want to be a number on the P&L?

I have been working at Perficient full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pockets of technical excellence. Values hard work and dedication -- billable hours. Bonus program rewards billable time. Fairly good offering of IBM training.

Cons

Over 4 years with 1 performance evaluation and 0 salary reviews/increases! No career development program. Can be 80-100% travel. "Vision" is to be a bigger company -- not very inspiring to staff consultants. Horrible internal systems designed and implemented with assumption that users will be based in a Perficient office. No training on internal systems. EBS implementation is embarrassing.

Advice to Management

You really need to develop an overall vision to inspire -- something like, be technology leaders. Then follow through. Right now you guys are in it for the money and in many cases let that drive the client engagements in lieu of providing excellence of delivery. Human Resources policies are from the dark ages -- start providing annual salary reviews and reward productive employees. Restrictions on vacation are constraining.

Perficient: Where your career is what you make it

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Perficient full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full disclosure: As I write this, I'm currently a Director in Perficient's Microsoft National Business Unit and I'm generally happy with my time at Perficient. I've seen a number of posts on here that make me want to set the record straight. We have our warts, as every company does, but in general it's good place to grow a career. The positives are many, from my perspective:

Freedom to Choose Your Path. In our Microsoft business unit specifically, your career is what you make of it. Perficient is a company of entrepreneurs. I joined the company after being away from consulting for several years, and was a bit unsure of what I wanted to do or where I would fit in. It took me a couple months to find my niche, but once I did, I pursued it and had the full support of my leadership team to win new business in it, deliver my own projects, and build not just a career for myself but a team around the need I initially identified on joining the company.

A Strong Team. I have not always had the luxury of working with technical experts whom I could trust to figure out problems that I could not. Now I do. Everyone here is an expert in something, and everyone here has something they can teach someone else. That's an incredible advantage over other firms I've worked for.

Open Communication with Leadership. Our leaders here are very open to feedback, all the way up to the C-suite. Even when I came on board as a consulting architect, I knew I could reach out to my VP at any time (and often did). Our COO is very open to meeting and talking with people, too-- I speak from experience. Today, I have strong relationships not just with the people above in my direct chain, but with several of their peers in other business units too. If you work or worked for Perficient and claim leadership is inaccessible or confused, in my mind, it's on you for not taking the time to reach out and talk with them. They've always been very accessible for me and they've always hung their shingles out for others to reach out as well.

Casual Culture. This isn't the Big Four (or however many "Big" firms there are nowadays). While we have better definition of processes and a more professional attitude than you might have found at the various startups we all have in our DNA, we aren't walking about the office in a phalanx of blue blazers and tan khakis either. We have an interesting mix of young go-getters and seasoned consultants.

Onboarding. There has been an ongoing effort from leadership to focus on and improve Acquisition Onboarding. While we are more focused on organic growth than ever before, Perficient still fills gaps in its portfolio via acquisition and I can say from experience that we've gotten tremendously better at it over the last three years. The attention that's been paid to making sure new employees-- organic or acquired-- have a "great start" is significant.

Yammer. We have a very active Yammer network that ties our separate offices and remote consultants-- who are a significant population themselves-- together. This is especially true in the Microsoft business unit where I work.

Internal Partners. We have a really slick in-house design agency that delivers fantastic UI, mobile and customer experiences on top of our technology platforms. It's a huge relief to be connected to large SharePoint or Sitecore projects and know that you don't have to outsource the branding or experience design, and your clients NEVER have to settle for an OOB SharePoint experience. Too, I feel like this arrangement gives us more depth both from a technical and design standpoint than the small boutique SI's that we often see competing with us for similar projects.

Channel and Relationships. Our partnership with Microsoft is the envy of many of our competitors. I'm an ex-Microsoft employee myself and I will honestly say that I'd have a hard time working for another partner simply because very, very few partner SI's understand better how to work with Redmond and the Field at all levels of both their organization and ours.

Cons

I mentioned that Perficient is a company of entrepreneurs. That has its downsides; in several cases some entrepreneurs who build smaller systems integrators and then sold them to Perficient are still around. Some are great for the business, but others would be better served by cutting ties and heading back to create more startups. They sometimes serve as legacies of the siloed thinking that comes from a small business mentality, and we are not a small business.

Related to this are the Post-Acquisition Blues. Many of our offices have their roots in a one-time acquisition and there is a certain post-acquisition cycle to those offices coming on board. We've made tremendous strides in this department (as noted above) but those who prefer a small, privately-owned company will probably leave eventually. We are not that, even though many of our local offices do retain that spirit. It is a fine line between a strong local spirit and an "us against the world" mentality that some (always eventually unsuccessful) teams have adopted, though. To succeed as part of a larger team, you need to be a team player. Happily, most of the bad apples seem to have moved on, from our business unit at least.

I've had to let a few people go over the last two years, and some of them were very solid professionals. All of them were very good people. These situations ALWAYS suck, for everyone involved. Unfortunately, the other thing they had in common was that their skills were very hard to sell in a pro services organization focused on the platforms and projects we focus on. You have to make hard choices in running a business and sometimes that includes focusing on your core service lines to the exclusion of smaller, less profitable sidelines-- things you could indulge in a private company but not when you are accountable to shareholders.

Advice to Management

Well, as I mentioned above, we have very open lines of communication to management, and I also happen to be an advocate of open and honest communication. Our management probably already receives more advice from me than they really need. ;)

RSS Feed </> Embed