Perforce Software

Perforce Software CEO Christopher Seiwald
Christopher Seiwald

Great place to work

I have been working at Perforce Software

Pros

They take care of their employees and value expertise

Cons

Not a lot of equity upside

Keep up the good work

Profitable but stagnant

I have been working at Perforce Software

Pros

Stable, cushy working hours, low expectations.

Cons

Most senior execs only show up at the office 3 days a week. Engineering architects are hard to work with.

Be realistic about your situation. You could trim 40% of the employees and not hurt revenue.

Software behemoth in a start-up shell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I worked at Perforce Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible benefits including monthly massage, great working space, very little red-tape, paid christmas furlough, company trips, etc.

Cons

not much room for advance in management. They have a core product and they aren't trying to innovate in the right direction. instead they are banking on some specific areas to bolster their ability to stay in the black.

its okay to be good at one thing, but you need to make sure that you're not spreading your resources out in unreasonable directions... especially in direct competition with your own client base that does it 100% better with 200% more people. you're too small to act like that.

Great product, many good people. Trying to hit the bigger time, management not uniform.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alameda, CA

I worked at Perforce Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

P4 product well accepted, widely used, solidly built. Engineer-makes-good, grows-his-own-company success story. Serious focus on customer satisfaction & profitable business.
    Smart, competent, professional co-workers, world wide engineering, sales and support generally excellent.
    Quirky and interesting people and culture.
    A lot of heart.

Cons

Good engineers aren't always good judges of non-engineering talent. May be better now.
    Mysterious, melodramatic turbulence in IT, 2011.
    Improbable, hard to understand holdovers from small company era. May be better now.
    Dis-functional pocket I experienced seemed to be in a different company from happy and productive majority.

Good engineering, good engineering management and good company management are three different professions.

Smart, dedicated people who respect each other and get stuff done quickly

Current Employee - Software Development in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Perforce Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, filled with smart people, most of whom are able and willing to do what it takes to get good work done, quickly. Innovating in new areas based on deep expertise in its core area. Remarkably respectful culture that people at all levels take seriously. Most technical managers do "real work" too, which keeps communication flowing and expertise current.

Cons

Some silos still between engineering and marketing, but this is getting better as people step up. Some tension between (most) people working hard to evolve and make new things, and (a few) people complaining about why it can't be like it was in The Old Days. Not much of a con, though - there are always complainers in any company.

Hard to imagine a better fit

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Perforce Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are terrific, especially the monthly-day-off. Good fit for system software folks. Everyone seems to work well with each other. No obvious politics, but then it is a small company so you wouldn't expect that much anyway. Great place for people in East Bay: very technical work, both challenging and rewarding, and short commute! Yay! Processes are pretty lightweight (agile-like, kanban) so you are mostly doing real work instead of having meetings. Upper management is pretty transparent about what's going on, which is refreshing.

Cons

My personal experience has been great. I have heard that some folks can have a strong opinion about things and might take it too far, but that shows they are passionate about their work, so I see it as a good thing. Again, it's a small company so some people might be a bit squeamish when it comes to confrontations.

Keep doing what you're doing, it seems to be working.

A medium sized company in transition

I have been working at Perforce Software

Pros

The company culture of Perforce is very software engineering oriented, which makes it a very comfortable place to just sit back and code. The culture also feels "direct"; there are a few procedural hoops, but nothing resembling TPS reports.

There is exceptional reinforcement of work-life balance; while the occasional pressure situation arises, there is definite sensitivity and pressure from managers to avoid a constant "world of stress".

Cons

The engineering-oriented culture of the company doesn't quite know how to handle good product design. If you've used the client applications, you'll know what I'm talking about; they tend to feel like an extensive API instead of an elegant interface.

Clear communication is also not a specialty of, well, practically anyone you'll work with - you won't get any slick presentations.

The company is also a one-trick pony; there's one real product, and then a whole bunch of, well, loss-leaders, supporting that product. There isn't real experience making money in other ways.

Perforce is also transitioning to a more mature market. This can feel "old" when compared to what's going on in the valley.

Sometimes the teams that build new products shouldn't be organized like the military-style hierarchy you'd use for a mature product; design, QA, engineering, tech pubs don't need managers if the product is still small. A smaller, multi-dimensional group (i.e., not just engineers) with one directly active leader (product owner, whomever) with one responsibility *should* be able to make changes quickly.

It would be nice to feel more "trust" in our own decisions, instead of having to try everything out in the market.

Golden Handcuffs

I have been working at Perforce Software

Pros

Awesome benefits, 2 weeks PTO accrued annually plus one personal day a month, (read 12 extra days a year), plus recognized holidays, one weeks paid furlough during Christmas, plus 80 hours of sick leave, profit sharing AND bonuses. Oh and did I mention if you work at perforce for at least 10 years you get a sabbatical? an additional four week paid vacation in addition to all of your existing time off?

Plus there is a monthly massage, weekly tea's, hot meals, fresh fruits, and Monday bagels.

other benefits include a company train trip to tahoe - all costs covered by the company, and lots of cool shwag.

Extremely good pay - well above the regions medians. Should you apply or decide to work here - ask for 2x's what you think you're worth and they'll likely give it to you.

Cons

The handcuffs are golden indeed, but it still can't hide the flaws that run rife through the company.

Mid-level management is promoted from within, and in many cases isn't prepared, or trained appropriately to take the positions. In many cases they were simply in the position for so long that the next logical step was to promote them because there was no where else to go. They are also hiring to fill the executive positions and are getting top-heavy with executive management.

Plus there is an unstated 'don't fire anyone' policy. HR doesn't deal with personnel problems hoping that it will get better with time. They've been expanding too quickly without clearly defining what they want to do both as a company and for the future. There is a plan - but its not clearly defined for the individual contributor. There is 'freedom' when working and then there is nothing. Perforce falls on the nothing side of the scale with an organized chaos form of freedom - there aren't any rules - do what it takes to get it done, and don't worry about who you hurt on the way.

Problematically its an outdated program that is although integral to much of Silicon Valley it won't be long before its made irrelevant by more agile and more solid programs.

Don't be afraid to fire someone if they suck, their direct reports tell you they suck, and they aren't contributing.

Plus don't simply promote because the employee's been there and you don't know what else to do with them. Take a hard look at your org chart and see if it makes sense to be so top-heavy. There isn't anything wrong with being bottom heavy. You're a bloody software company for god's sake. Otherwise keep the awesome benefits coming. I don't mind this gilded cage at all.

What a great place to work!

I have been working at Perforce Software

Pros

I was so happy when I landed a job here. Most people that work here are pretty friendly and it's a great atmosphere. Management respects their employees and have the attitude; our employees are what make this company, so let's show them that we care. They promote a healthy work/life balance. Management is awesome in my particular department I work in ... I was doubting I would ever be able to say that in my lifetime.

Cons

Not much room for career advancement ... can't think of anything else.

Make sure you reward your employees that preform well. Don't except medicore employee performance even if they have been here for a while or they are managers, they can drag a whole department down.

Great place to work if you're with the in-crowd

I worked at Perforce Software

Pros

If you're good friends with one of the senior managers, or worked with them at Ingres, you're treated very well and will likely earn a salary far beyond what you could make somewhere else based solely on your skills. Be prepared to repeat the company line that Perforce is the best place to work, whether you believe it or not.

Cons

Senior management is dysfunctional. They don't like each other and don't work well together. The CEO changes his philosophy seemingly on a whim and announces it at an all-hands meeting to confused employees. One year it's "we can pick and choose what we want to work on, and make a lot of money as a niche player," and the next year it's "we will be Number One (but we'll let you decide what Number One means to you)."

Management believes the company's low turnover rate is evidence of a superior work environment. It's really due to the fact that the company makes a lot of money and overpays employees, with large profit-sharing bonuses. If you want to make a lot of money, this is the place for you. Just be sure you can ignore the long-term dead wood that is likely making even more than you, while doing less. And pity them because they can't get a job somewhere else and still make their house payments.

Ask yourself: Looking at their skills and background, but ignoring their title, could your employees make this much money somewhere else? Could you? If the answer is No, how do you sleep at night?

Perforce Software Photos