Performance Bike Shop

Be The First To
Add Photos

Performance Bike Shop CEO David Pruitt

David Pruitt

Pros:
  • "Excellent employee discount but the pay is so low you will be hard pressed to take advantage of it"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Good discounts on both hard and soft goods including clearance items"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Varying hours, low pay, minimum wage increases, high turn over"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Clueless district managers constantly obsessing/whining about profit and "conversions rates" to maximize"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very Corporate

Chapel Hill, NC

ProsGreat products, fair prices with some great lower level management. I would say this was a great job for someone who needs a part-time job to get them through college.

ConsEverything we did as sales associates was dictated by our corporate office who put 100% attention on sales, sacrificing good customer service and sincerity.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about helping someone, rather than selling them as much as you absolutely can. People respect you more for that and are more likely to come back.

Seasonal Employee

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFellow Employees were fun to work with. Low pressure environment for the most part. Manager was a nice guy who tried his best to make it fun and keep a positive atmosphere within the corporate framework. The mechanics were very good. I got to stay in the shop for the most part. Overall I enjoyed it as a laid back summer job, but would never go back.

ConsVERY Corporate. Performance is the antithesis of what a bike shop should be. The company was founded out of a passion for money, not a passion for bicycles. Always had "sales" on major holidays and weekends so all employees had to be on deck. We had no choice over what we sold, thus I had to sell products I did not believe in. I had to swallow most of my opinions and support many customers in buying crappy bikes. The door had a counter on it and would keep track of how many customers were in the store. Overall, the company sells inferior products.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it fun.

Personal Life?? Family Life?? Really??

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with some great people both employee's and customers. Watching staff grow and become successful at what they wanted to achieve.

ConsYear in year out knowing that the cycling industry was on a downward trend company found that conversion was the reason why it wasn't doing well. How about looking at your marketing plan and taking some blame on your failures. Spent 7 years watching the company try and reinvent the wheel. How's that working out now. Company will never listen to the foot soldiers in the field, instead they look at ideas from thier DM'S that are just corporate puppets anyway and just stroke their egos. Pay scale for the store staff is low and very inconsistent across markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at your precious metrix numbers and focus on your marketing plan. Emails won't get you the money your losing monthly. Your DM's are heartless puppets that have no real cycling experience and probably could even change a tire. You preach about having a outside personal life for the staff? Please that is a joke. You don't care about the people on the front lines. While they work every Holiday you all are spending time with your family's. Then have the nerve to pick apart results? How about working weekends and Holidays like you make the stores do. You think visiting stores once a year does something. You only have 100 or so stores. How about taking more time to see what the store mangers think or feel about the direction of the company. Your town hall meetings should be used as a open forum to discuss this but isn't. You don't want to hear it. This is why you will continue to lose good people and close more stores in the near future. Lastly stop selling empty promises to everyone.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sale

Sales (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsGood discounts, interesting employees, ride to work perks, chances for work events and parties

ConsVarying hours, low pay, minimum wage increases, high turn over

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training would equal more sales

Good experience at PBS

Chapel Hill, NC

ProsFun coworkers, many of whom are avid cyclists.
    Good way to get started in the bicycle industry.
    Access to industry discounts from many cycling and sporting goods companies.
    Decent benefits.

ConsBenefits are only decent--not an industry leader in this regard.
    With so much turnover and various marketing plans and strategies over the years, it sometimes felt like a rudderless ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the time of my departure, it seemed company culture, values and the mission--at least on paper--were headed in the right direction. But execution is key, and has always been a challenge in the past.

Consider working somewhere else

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsWell, my co-workers were nice people, and most of the customers too. Can at times be a relaxed, enjoyable workplace.

ConsConstant pressure to exceed last years sales numbers, constant negative feedback from District Managers. Don't expect to get any positive feedback. Corporate is only concerned about the bottom line, at the expense of the employees. I worked at a very busy store, and they ran it on a skeleton crew, there was often no time to assist customers properly and get done the required busywork. As other reviews stated, there are many tedious and menial tasks you are required to do on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps read your own employee handbook which talks about how valuable your employees are to the company, and start acting like they actually ARE. Consider giving employees some real incentive to continually increase sales (other than the attitude of "you get to keep your job").

Great place to get your foot in the door.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFull time benefits that are not always available at other shops.

ConsCorporate structure. Low pay for what is expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more for quality employees.

Could have been better... :/

Bike Builder/Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Bloomfield Township, MI

ProsGood co-workers, fun to sell and talk to other people who are as passionate about your sport as you are.

ConsThe manager At the Location I worked at was awful. She referenced that "We are a bike shop , but we are also a corporation. We have policies and procedure we need to follow but like the big box places. Yes we sell bikes, but we are NOT a mom and pop shop." However the only time this applied was when we were getting a visit from the DM. between visits, it was Take what you want during the week ... just remember to pay for it at the end of the week, this is so we can keep up our awesome UPT(other places its called stealing). She fired two employees while I worked there because they had other jobs and couldn't come in to help when she made coverage mistakes on the schedule calling them " not dedicated". She would bring her TWO razor back dogs into the store when she didn't have a dogsitter, they would run loose in the store with customers and pee and poop on the floor. Also, she would either leave early, OR use the companies computer to work at her other job having to do with medical billing???

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the DM, DO NOT SCHEDULE YOUR VISITS.... unannounced would benefit this company better. As a Company overall its probably a good place to be, just not the location I was at. Hoping it will be better.

Great Place to work

ProsGreat Discounts on products
    Family Atmosphere
    Worklife Balance

ConsLack of Career Development
    Very little opportunity to advance within company

OK, good, neutral, fun employees

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsGood Discount, nice bikes, industry discounts

ConsMatrix driven, low level of entitlements

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on customers

Worked for Performance Bike Shop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Performance Bike Shop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Performance Bike Shop CEO David Pruitt. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Performance Bike Shop employees.