Performance Bike Shop

Updated September 12, 2014
2.4

Performance Bike Shop CEO David Pruitt
David Pruitt

Pros
  • Excellent employee discount but the pay is so low you will be hard pressed to take advantage of it (in 7 reviews)

• Good discounts on both hard and soft goods including clearance items (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Varying hours, low pay, minimum wage increases, high turn over (in 8 reviews)

• Clueless district managers constantly obsessing/whining about profit and "conversions rates" to maximize (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

An incredibly challenging and rewarding employment experience.

Current Employee - Director of Materials  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Director of Materials in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced, high growth, open minded, market leader, beautiful corporate facilities, excellent salary and compensation packages.

Cons

Challenges with working with family members of the founder. Entitlement issues by blood. Sometimes difficult to avoid the obstacles inherent in those circumstances.

No issue with compensation or benefits. Give more latitude to seasoned executives to meet or achieve their goals without interference. Keep pace with the industry trends in all components of SCM.

Great People mediocre products

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Paoli, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paoli, PA

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

inexpensive, the walmart of bike shops

Cons

corporate atmosphere, no control over products being sold, average quality throughout store

keep it fun!

Former manager of a retail store

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will be around bicycles all day and get to work with many interesting people. I have made some great friends here from both coworkers and customers alike. The pay is low, but full-time employees get excellent and inexpensive benefits, which helps with the low pay.

Cons

The company is a meat grinder. Turnover for managers is quite high and problematic hourly employees are frequently impossible to correct due to their backwards disciplinary system. Despite management's claims of having a new agey non-disciplinary style, you will be chastised for the most arbitrary nonsense out there. I met every major goal set before me (and so did my staff) and still all I ever got were complaints. There is also a severe lack of understanding that cycling is a seasonal weather-dependent sport.

Change the day to day sales goal system - In a business where a passing thunderstorm can turn an all hands on deck busy day into being completely devoid of customers, these serve no useful purpose. Track the stores by their weekly or monthly sales instead. Your store management crews are on the same team as you, don't treat us like we're enemies. Finally, stick to your core values.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's OK when you work there and love bikes!

Current Employee - Bike Builder/Sales Associate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Bike Builder/Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount Discount Discount, trust me the perf brand is just as good if you're commuting by bike. Cheap tires!!! 3piontfive is awesome!! If you don't take advantage of that I have winter stuff for a good time when its cold . Do your training and work a day a week to buy good stuff. BUY EVERYTHING CHEAP AND USE THE COMMUTER CARD.

Cons

Pay is bad but it's retail so......They will kick you to the the curb as soon as Sept 2nd gets here .cut hours BIG TIME!!!!!!!. ...... keep in touch and you can keep a flowing a discount.

Store management are just following orders. Corporate: go ride a bike and get out there! Oh wait you,re all numbers . I love working there but stop being the Walmart of bikes. Walmart sell S#!* .We are suppose to be a bike shop. Lets keep our standards and quality something reliable.

Seasonal Employee

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fellow Employees were fun to work with. Low pressure environment for the most part. Manager was a nice guy who tried his best to make it fun and keep a positive atmosphere within the corporate framework. The mechanics were very good. I got to stay in the shop for the most part. Overall I enjoyed it as a laid back summer job, but would never go back.

Cons

VERY Corporate. Performance is the antithesis of what a bike shop should be. The company was founded out of a passion for money, not a passion for bicycles. Always had "sales" on major holidays and weekends so all employees had to be on deck. We had no choice over what we sold, thus I had to sell products I did not believe in. I had to swallow most of my opinions and support many customers in buying crappy bikes. The door had a counter on it and would keep track of how many customers were in the store. Overall, the company sells inferior products.

Keep it fun.

Very Corporate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great products, fair prices with some great lower level management. I would say this was a great job for someone who needs a part-time job to get them through college.

Cons

Everything we did as sales associates was dictated by our corporate office who put 100% attention on sales, sacrificing good customer service and sincerity.

Care more about helping someone, rather than selling them as much as you absolutely can. People respect you more for that and are more likely to come back.

Conflicting

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop

Pros

Discount,the workload isnt too bad and the employees who were also mechanics were people you could actually talk to.

Cons

Store manager is an idiot,asks you to do one thing,then contradicts himself the next minute telling you to do something else.

Terrible pay

Pay your employees more!We work every holiday besides christmas day and give to the community by continuously helping out regular customers and newbies while we make minumum wage.

You're a multimillion dollar corporation and pay minimum wage to show how greedy you scumbags are.

Personal Life?? Family Life?? Really??

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with some great people both employee's and customers. Watching staff grow and become successful at what they wanted to achieve.

Cons

Year in year out knowing that the cycling industry was on a downward trend company found that conversion was the reason why it wasn't doing well. How about looking at your marketing plan and taking some blame on your failures. Spent 7 years watching the company try and reinvent the wheel. How's that working out now. Company will never listen to the foot soldiers in the field, instead they look at ideas from thier DM'S that are just corporate puppets anyway and just stroke their egos. Pay scale for the store staff is low and very inconsistent across markets.

Stop looking at your precious metrix numbers and focus on your marketing plan. Emails won't get you the money your losing monthly. Your DM's are heartless puppets that have no real cycling experience and probably could even change a tire. You preach about having a outside personal life for the staff? Please that is a joke. You don't care about the people on the front lines. While they work every Holiday you all are spending time with your family's. Then have the nerve to pick apart results? How about working weekends and Holidays like you make the stores do. You think visiting stores once a year does something. You only have 100 or so stores. How about taking more time to see what the store mangers think or feel about the direction of the company. Your town hall meetings should be used as a open forum to discuss this but isn't. You don't want to hear it. This is why you will continue to lose good people and close more stores in the near future. Lastly stop selling empty promises to everyone.

Sale

Former Employee - Sales  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discounts, interesting employees, ride to work perks, chances for work events and parties

Cons

Varying hours, low pay, minimum wage increases, high turn over

Better training would equal more sales

Good experience at PBS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun coworkers, many of whom are avid cyclists.
    Good way to get started in the bicycle industry.
    Access to industry discounts from many cycling and sporting goods companies.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Benefits are only decent--not an industry leader in this regard.
    With so much turnover and various marketing plans and strategies over the years, it sometimes felt like a rudderless ship.

At the time of my departure, it seemed company culture, values and the mission--at least on paper--were headed in the right direction. But execution is key, and has always been a challenge in the past.

Worked for Performance Bike Shop? Contribute to the Community!