Performance Bike Shop

Updated September 12, 2014
2.5

Performance Bike Shop CEO David Pruitt
David Pruitt

Pros
  • Excellent employee discount but the pay is so low you will be hard pressed to take advantage of it (in 7 reviews)

• Good discounts on both hard and soft goods including clearance items (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Varying hours, low pay, minimum wage increases, high turn over (in 8 reviews)

• Clueless district managers constantly obsessing/whining about profit and "conversions rates" to maximize (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Consider working somewhere else

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well, my co-workers were nice people, and most of the customers too. Can at times be a relaxed, enjoyable workplace.

Cons

Constant pressure to exceed last years sales numbers, constant negative feedback from District Managers. Don't expect to get any positive feedback. Corporate is only concerned about the bottom line, at the expense of the employees. I worked at a very busy store, and they ran it on a skeleton crew, there was often no time to assist customers properly and get done the required busywork. As other reviews stated, there are many tedious and menial tasks you are required to do on a daily basis.

Perhaps read your own employee handbook which talks about how valuable your employees are to the company, and start acting like they actually ARE. Consider giving employees some real incentive to continually increase sales (other than the attitude of "you get to keep your job").

Great place to get your foot in the door.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Full time benefits that are not always available at other shops.

Cons

Corporate structure. Low pay for what is expected.

Pay more for quality employees.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Discounts on products
    Family Atmosphere
    Worklife Balance

Cons

Lack of Career Development
    Very little opportunity to advance within company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could have been better... :/

Former Employee - Bike Builder/Sales Associate  in  Bloomfield Township, MI
    Former Employee - Bike Builder/Sales Associate in Bloomfield Township, MI

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good co-workers, fun to sell and talk to other people who are as passionate about your sport as you are.

Cons

The manager At the Location I worked at was awful. She referenced that "We are a bike shop , but we are also a corporation. We have policies and procedure we need to follow but like the big box places. Yes we sell bikes, but we are NOT a mom and pop shop." However the only time this applied was when we were getting a visit from the DM. between visits, it was Take what you want during the week ... just remember to pay for it at the end of the week, this is so we can keep up our awesome UPT(other places its called stealing). She fired two employees while I worked there because they had other jobs and couldn't come in to help when she made coverage mistakes on the schedule calling them " not dedicated". She would bring her TWO razor back dogs into the store when she didn't have a dogsitter, they would run loose in the store with customers and pee and poop on the floor. Also, she would either leave early, OR use the companies computer to work at her other job having to do with medical billing???

To the DM, DO NOT SCHEDULE YOUR VISITS.... unannounced would benefit this company better. As a Company overall its probably a good place to be, just not the location I was at. Hoping it will be better.

OK, good, neutral, fun employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Discount, nice bikes, industry discounts

Cons

Matrix driven, low level of entitlements

Focus on customers

Great fun staff to work with - knowledgeable of products

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

not commision-based, knowledgeable staff and customers

Cons

no input on scheduling, late hours

Not too bad, easy job.

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people to work with, easy job, access to products I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise, get to play with bikes all day, talk to people who also enjoy bikes and cycling.

Vacation and sick pay, access to healthcare benefits, decent 401k plan. As a manager I am guaranteed 35+ hours/week even in our slowest months, so reliable pay.

Flexible schedule.

Cons

No room for upwards movement. Management positions in the stores rarely open and there's no way to move from the stores to corporate. DMs hold their positions for decades sometimes.

Pay isn't great. It's enough for me to live on, but I'm living paycheck to paycheck as a manager.

No incentive for performance. At best, if you've got a really god store manager or DM, you'll get a pat on the back for good numbers/customer interactions.

Very little engagement in the actual cycling community. We support very few community events and it comes down to payroll. Every year in January/February corporate talks big about a new, increased community payroll and then when it comes time to put their money where their mouth was, they bail. Can't send two people to do neutral support, costs too much; no payroll. It's really about how good management is, but a lot of times it seems like corporate's mantra is "increase sales and cut payroll." Those seem counterproductive to me, but, hey, I'm not our corporate accountants.

Ancient POS system, it's so tedious to use, and considering there are something like 120 stores there is pathetically little interconnectivity. It's very difficult to find information if the customer has not shopped in your specific store. I've heard they're joining the 21st century this upcoming March, but I'm not sure how much is true.

Let the store managers run the stores with less corporate oversight. Give stores a longer leash for community outreach.

Great job to get started in the cycling industry

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Room for growth
    Great employee discount
    Can work with your schedule

Cons

Hours get cut in the winter
    Low pay for starting positions

Stop running so many sales, seems to flooding customers with too many things to look at

Treats product like a commodity by varying the price and employees are expendable unless you are in the "crew"

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time

Pros

Working around bikes, discounts are much better than in other industries, coworkers can be great.

Cons

Micromanaged to the point of counting customers, setting goals at near impossible levels (those that achieve the goal had to be "creative" to mask what was really going on.) The companies that sell the metric equipment state that people would be superstars by achieving half of what is expected here. There are two cultures, the one in the handbook and reality.

Nothing to add, they wouldn't take it the advice anyway...unless they decided it was their thought from the beginning. God forbid they listen to what a subordinate has to say.

Tedious

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Camp Springs, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Camp Springs, MD

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent discounts, direct information towards the cycling industry, easy to break into the sport.

Cons

Management is constantly under the hammer, worried for their jobs. There are hundreds of menial tasks that must be completed daily, divided between three managers, and delegated to part-timers. The DM is always looking for ways to use incomplete tasks as fodder for possible replacement, rather than praising an efficient manager, creating undue stress. Store Manager positions are viewed as a goal, but many SM's are very worried about comping last year sales that their outlook towards their mgmt staff is often favored towards sales, rather than following those hundreds of menial tasks. That you can be fired for not doing. In essence, there is no job security with this company, at least not in the MD/VA region. I do not recommend anything to do with this company, unless you have a solid job elsewhere and do not expect a wage that is worth your talent. This is a great place to score huge discounts on product, but also a great place to destroy your passion in cycling.

Cut down on the monthly sales, cut down on the need for more and more sales, selling product that doesn't meet the need of the customer, rather than the need of the company.

Worked for Performance Bike Shop? Contribute to the Community!