Performance Bike Shop

Updated October 18, 2014
2.5

Performance Bike Shop CEO David Pruitt
David Pruitt

Pros
  • Excellent employee discount but the pay is so low you will be hard pressed to take advantage of it (in 7 reviews)

• Good discounts on both hard and soft goods including clearance items (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Varying hours, low pay, minimum wage increases, high turn over (in 8 reviews)

• Clueless district managers constantly obsessing/whining about profit and "conversions rates" to maximize (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Sale

Former Employee - Sales in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discounts, interesting employees, ride to work perks, chances for work events and parties

Cons

Varying hours, low pay, minimum wage increases, high turn over

Better training would equal more sales

Good experience at PBS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers, many of whom are avid cyclists.
    Good way to get started in the bicycle industry.
    Access to industry discounts from many cycling and sporting goods companies.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Benefits are only decent--not an industry leader in this regard.
    With so much turnover and various marketing plans and strategies over the years, it sometimes felt like a rudderless ship.

At the time of my departure, it seemed company culture, values and the mission--at least on paper--were headed in the right direction. But execution is key, and has always been a challenge in the past.

Consider working somewhere else

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well, my co-workers were nice people, and most of the customers too. Can at times be a relaxed, enjoyable workplace.

Cons

Constant pressure to exceed last years sales numbers, constant negative feedback from District Managers. Don't expect to get any positive feedback. Corporate is only concerned about the bottom line, at the expense of the employees. I worked at a very busy store, and they ran it on a skeleton crew, there was often no time to assist customers properly and get done the required busywork. As other reviews stated, there are many tedious and menial tasks you are required to do on a daily basis.

Perhaps read your own employee handbook which talks about how valuable your employees are to the company, and start acting like they actually ARE. Consider giving employees some real incentive to continually increase sales (other than the attitude of "you get to keep your job").

Great place to get your foot in the door.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Full time benefits that are not always available at other shops.

Cons

Corporate structure. Low pay for what is expected.

Pay more for quality employees.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Discounts on products
    Family Atmosphere
    Worklife Balance

Cons

Lack of Career Development
    Very little opportunity to advance within company

Could have been better... :/

Former Employee - Bike Builder/Sales Associate in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Former Employee - Bike Builder/Sales Associate in Bloomfield Township, MI

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good co-workers, fun to sell and talk to other people who are as passionate about your sport as you are.

Cons

The manager At the Location I worked at was awful. She referenced that "We are a bike shop , but we are also a corporation. We have policies and procedure we need to follow but like the big box places. Yes we sell bikes, but we are NOT a mom and pop shop." However the only time this applied was when we were getting a visit from the DM. between visits, it was Take what you want during the week ... just remember to pay for it at the end of the week, this is so we can keep up our awesome UPT(other places its called stealing). She fired two employees while I worked there because they had other jobs and couldn't come in to help when she made coverage mistakes on the schedule calling them " not dedicated". She would bring her TWO razor back dogs into the store when she didn't have a dogsitter, they would run loose in the store with customers and pee and poop on the floor. Also, she would either leave early, OR use the companies computer to work at her other job having to do with medical billing???

To the DM, DO NOT SCHEDULE YOUR VISITS.... unannounced would benefit this company better. As a Company overall its probably a good place to be, just not the location I was at. Hoping it will be better.

Great fun staff to work with - knowledgeable of products

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

not commision-based, knowledgeable staff and customers

Cons

no input on scheduling, late hours

OK, good, neutral, fun employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Discount, nice bikes, industry discounts

Cons

Matrix driven, low level of entitlements

Focus on customers

Not too bad, easy job.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, easy job, access to products I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise, get to play with bikes all day, talk to people who also enjoy bikes and cycling.

Vacation and sick pay, access to healthcare benefits, decent 401k plan. As a manager I am guaranteed 35+ hours/week even in our slowest months, so reliable pay.

Flexible schedule.

Cons

No room for upwards movement. Management positions in the stores rarely open and there's no way to move from the stores to corporate. DMs hold their positions for decades sometimes.

Pay isn't great. It's enough for me to live on, but I'm living paycheck to paycheck as a manager.

No incentive for performance. At best, if you've got a really god store manager or DM, you'll get a pat on the back for good numbers/customer interactions.

Very little engagement in the actual cycling community. We support very few community events and it comes down to payroll. Every year in January/February corporate talks big about a new, increased community payroll and then when it comes time to put their money where their mouth was, they bail. Can't send two people to do neutral support, costs too much; no payroll. It's really about how good management is, but a lot of times it seems like corporate's mantra is "increase sales and cut payroll." Those seem counterproductive to me, but, hey, I'm not our corporate accountants.

Ancient POS system, it's so tedious to use, and considering there are something like 120 stores there is pathetically little interconnectivity. It's very difficult to find information if the customer has not shopped in your specific store. I've heard they're joining the 21st century this upcoming March, but I'm not sure how much is true.

Let the store managers run the stores with less corporate oversight. Give stores a longer leash for community outreach.

Great job to get started in the cycling industry

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room for growth
    Great employee discount
    Can work with your schedule

Cons

Hours get cut in the winter
    Low pay for starting positions

Stop running so many sales, seems to flooding customers with too many things to look at