Performance Bike Shop

Updated March 6, 2015
78 reviews filtered by

1. Warehouse-worker

I worked at Performance Bike Shop

Pros

There's usually always something to be done, plus you get an hour lunch break.

Cons

No benefits and can be hard manual labor at times.

Fun employees, tough, short-sided corporate

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great industry discounts, great people to work with, benefits are okay (they recently changed health care providers), 401k match, they have good career advancement up-to Store Manager if you are wiling to work at a different location and work hard (Don't expect to go above that unless you are a Man)

Cons

Tough to gain momentum if you are a female, very high demands on managers, usually short-staffed, corporate consistently requires payroll cuts that hinder sales when busy, corporate has very high metric goals that are near impossible to obtain

Advice to Management

Make sure your District Managers don't call female Store Managers "Sugar Mama's" - it is inappropriate and so wrong. Equal opportunity for females - don't tell someone they will be interviewed for a position when you know for sure you have already picked a candidate and never followed-up with the interview that you promised.

3. Better than no job, but not much.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good deal of camraderie & collaboration within individual departments. Good group of active people to work with if you're interested in cycling.

Cons

Really bleak work environment with plenty of layoffs, pay cuts and subpar benefits. Also, the management of the company is anti-progress, really old-fashioned in their approaches.

5. hostile work environment

Current Employee - For Fear of Retribution I'll Leave This Blank in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - For Fear of Retribution I'll Leave This Blank in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you get to work with and on bikes. you have some good customers that you can have good conversations with and educate them.

Cons

The metrics that they grade store performance on are in direct contradiction to the way the store is run. for example, they count every customer that walks in the door, but one of our core selling strategies is to get customers on bike test rides outside. so you get 3 customers that test ride 4 carbon bikes to make sure they're getting the right bike and there goes that and you get an angry call from the DM. DMs are unsupportive and the so called open door policy is a joke. if you express any concerns, rather than take them seriously, you will be chastised and told that you are a bad employee that just isn't working hard enough. They also run stores at below minimum staffing and then get angry when the store isn't run how they would like. go look at any other bike shop in the areas that there is a performance, they are all staffed by at least double... and they all are more successful.

the pay is terrible, the upper management is terrible, it's a company that has lost itself and fallen prey to a consulting firm that shoves numbers up their you know what's and tells them they understand the business.

Advice to Management

if you keep running like this, you're hurting your own profit margins and customer base. I've already seen loyal customers of years stop coming and go elsewhere because of how you guys are trying to run things. those reviews coming in telling you that the stores are understaffed? listen to them. you need to be in the stores more too. and I don't mean come for a visit and sit in the back, I mean you guys should all try working in the stores for just two weeks and actually listen to your employees instead of treating us like ignorant garbage.

6. An incredibly challenging and rewarding employment experience.

Current Employee - Director of Materials in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Director of Materials in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, high growth, open minded, market leader, beautiful corporate facilities, excellent salary and compensation packages.

Cons

Challenges with working with family members of the founder. Entitlement issues by blood. Sometimes difficult to avoid the obstacles inherent in those circumstances.

Advice to Management

No issue with compensation or benefits. Give more latitude to seasoned executives to meet or achieve their goals without interference. Keep pace with the industry trends in all components of SCM.

7. Former manager of a retail store

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will be around bicycles all day and get to work with many interesting people. I have made some great friends here from both coworkers and customers alike. The pay is low, but full-time employees get excellent and inexpensive benefits, which helps with the low pay.

Cons

The company is a meat grinder. Turnover for managers is quite high and problematic hourly employees are frequently impossible to correct due to their backwards disciplinary system. Despite management's claims of having a new agey non-disciplinary style, you will be chastised for the most arbitrary nonsense out there. I met every major goal set before me (and so did my staff) and still all I ever got were complaints. There is also a severe lack of understanding that cycling is a seasonal weather-dependent sport.

Advice to Management

Change the day to day sales goal system - In a business where a passing thunderstorm can turn an all hands on deck busy day into being completely devoid of customers, these serve no useful purpose. Track the stores by their weekly or monthly sales instead. Your store management crews are on the same team as you, don't treat us like we're enemies. Finally, stick to your core values.

8. It's OK when you work there and love bikes!

Current Employee - Bike Builder/Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Bike Builder/Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount Discount Discount, trust me the perf brand is just as good if you're commuting by bike. Cheap tires!!! 3piontfive is awesome!! If you don't take advantage of that I have winter stuff for a good time when its cold . Do your training and work a day a week to buy good stuff. BUY EVERYTHING CHEAP AND USE THE COMMUTER CARD.

Cons

Pay is bad but it's retail so......They will kick you to the the curb as soon as Sept 2nd gets here .cut hours BIG TIME!!!!!!!. ...... keep in touch and you can keep a flowing a discount.

Advice to Management

Store management are just following orders. Corporate: go ride a bike and get out there! Oh wait you,re all numbers . I love working there but stop being the Walmart of bikes. Walmart sell S#!* .We are suppose to be a bike shop. Lets keep our standards and quality something reliable.

9. Very Corporate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Performance Bike Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, fair prices with some great lower level management. I would say this was a great job for someone who needs a part-time job to get them through college.

Cons

Everything we did as sales associates was dictated by our corporate office who put 100% attention on sales, sacrificing good customer service and sincerity.

Advice to Management

Care more about helping someone, rather than selling them as much as you absolutely can. People respect you more for that and are more likely to come back.

10. Conflicting

I have been working at Performance Bike Shop

Pros

Discount,the workload isnt too bad and the employees who were also mechanics were people you could actually talk to.

Cons

Store manager is an idiot,asks you to do one thing,then contradicts himself the next minute telling you to do something else.

Terrible pay

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more!We work every holiday besides christmas day and give to the community by continuously helping out regular customers and newbies while we make minumum wage.

You're a multimillion dollar corporation and pay minimum wage to show how greedy you scumbags are.

11. Good experience at PBS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Performance Bike Shop full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers, many of whom are avid cyclists.
    Good way to get started in the bicycle industry.
    Access to industry discounts from many cycling and sporting goods companies.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Benefits are only decent--not an industry leader in this regard.
    With so much turnover and various marketing plans and strategies over the years, it sometimes felt like a rudderless ship.

Advice to Management

At the time of my departure, it seemed company culture, values and the mission--at least on paper--were headed in the right direction. But execution is key, and has always been a challenge in the past.