Performance Development Group

Updated September 4, 2014
3.6

David Manning
1 Rating

My experience with PDG has been nothing but positive. Great executive management!

I have been working at Performance Development Group

Pros

Great on-boarding program, open and accessible executive management staff.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Interesting work, great co-workers, but expect high turnover and burnout

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Performance Development Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, for great clients, with super smart co-workers (while they last). Flexibility of work place is a real strength, as long as employees hired have the temperament to be productive without direct supervision. Good compensation as long as you're consistently billable.

Cons

There's little to no evidence of career path options for upward mobility. Being billable at a high rate of utilization is primarily what matters. There's high turnover of employees and a sense that job security is as close to zero as it gets for full-time employees. Good people lose their jobs on a moment's notice when not billable.

Many broken promises, they don't value their employees at all

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Performance Development Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a client site is great. Their clients more often treat their employees better than PDG does. Working with other PDG employees is really great as well.

Cons

Employees are consistently made promises of professional development and training as well as advancement that is not delivered. We are promised all these career tracks and development opportunities that are not delivered. We are given training budget to develop ourselves, however most of those requests are more often denied, if ever allowed accepted. It's to the point where employees know not to submit any requests since they'll be rejected. Employees at client sites are also underpaid and raises have been unfairly given. We are given the impression that we're being listened to but nothing ever happens or changes.

Please deliver on your promises or don't make these promises at all. Or just be realistic about what an employee should expect. Also, leadership should listen to their employees concerns. I also suspect leadership is often shielded of discontentment and concerns from middle management.

Enjoy being creative before you burn out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Amazing talent, you get to work with great people, the projects are usually very interesting and occasionally cutting edge, 90% telecommuting, fair salaries, diversity of clients

Cons

Extremely stressful, unrealistic deadlines and timetables, clients definitely come before employees, you are made to feel very replaceable and not valued--even bad about yourself despite when you're doing well, rigid procedures that don't always make sense, no place for advancement and very little personal development

You need to value the staff more and let them feel good about themselves. Everyone at PDG works around the clock and are ridiculously talented but everyone regularly feels beat up. There are small incentives here and there but it can sometimes feel pretty disingenuous. Do whatever you can to keep your best talent -- they are worth keeping!

A good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Performance Development Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Performance Development Group or PDG is a good place to work to develop new skills. They are a growing company and as such, I have had opportunities to add new skills in my field where at a larger more static organization there might just be one person doing a specific task. Here there are opportunities to try new things and the support to feel comfortable trying them.

Cons

Because it is growing company, I have been given responsibilities in new areas, this can be challenging at times, but I feel that am expanding my knowledge.

A really fun place to work yourself to death.

Former Employee - Programmer in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Malvern, PA

I worked at Performance Development Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Phenomenal creative team. Very cool, media-rich projects. Able to work from home most days. Very flexible hours.

Cons

Working from home means you're ALWAYS at work. Co-workers expect you to be checking and responding to emails all day and all night. Ridiculous deadlines that require tons of overtime with no extra compensation. No respect for work/life balance.

Allow the programming/creative teams to set deadlines and add plenty of buffer time for unexpected delays.

The work was intense, the schedule was grueling, but ultimately satisfying.

I worked at Performance Development Group

Pros

They really have a talented, if overworked, staff who are doing amazing things developing cutting edge tools for learning and development in the modern era.

Cons

The company pushes employees to their limits, and forsakes the employees for the clients. Ultimately, this is a long term recipe for disaster.

Management would do well to look for greater diversity in the leadership team, to acknowledge and better handle dissenting viewpoints.