www.performdev.com

Updated April 16, 2015
11 reviews filtered by
2.9
David Manning

Interesting work, great co-workers, but expect high turnover and burnout

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Performance Development Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, for great clients, with super smart co-workers (while they last). Flexibility of work place is a real strength, as long as employees hired have the temperament to be productive without direct supervision. Good compensation as long as you're consistently billable.

Cons

There's little to no evidence of career path options for upward mobility. Being billable at a high rate of utilization is primarily what matters. There's high turnover of employees and a sense that job security is as close to zero as it gets for full-time employees. Good people lose their jobs on a moment's notice when not billable.

People are commodities

I worked at Performance Development Group full-time

Pros

Very professional and capable workforce. Competent and committed to providing the best to their clients every time.

Cons

People are viewed as widgets. Old boys network. Senior leaders dictate don't lead. Sales are declining because they can't figure out how to grow. Keep rearranging chairs on deck.

Advice to Management

How to you teach people to value people?

3. Beware of taking a job with PDG, especially roles at their contracted sites

I worked at Performance Development Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at client sites seem to all be very friendly. I'll be honest, there isn't much positive I can say about working here.

Cons

I was hired on with several other project managers, most if not all of us had left positions elsewhere to come work for one of their clients. However, within a month 3 of us were let go because they had accidentally not projected the work correctly. During my time there, I learned from other employees how despised PDG was by their own employees. From questionable HR practices by told to lie on time cards, to how callous their corporate employees treat contractors, to how many project managers had been let go or had left the company in the last year. If I had known all these things before, I would have never taken a position with them. So I will say, beware when taking any position.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like cattle. Or if you choose to, don't lie and pretend to care about them. The corporate office seems very out of touch with how their employees really feel.

Questionable practices lead to constant employee turnover and poor job stability

I have been working at Performance Development Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provides an opportunity for contractors to meet folks at client sites and possibly transition to jobs at the companies.

Cons

No room or opportunity for professional development and growth. Poor benefits. Home office staff does not connect well with staff working at client sites. Leadership does not have good understanding of client site needs.

Company has employed questionable HR tactics to save money internally. For example, full-time salaried folks at PDG client sites only have the option of using PTO or taking unpaid leave during client holidays even if all (or excess) hours for the year have been billed for the site- PDG chooses to treat salaried folks like a 1099. Employees can only achieve maximum bonuses if excess hours are billed to the client- however there are hour limits to billing that have been previously negotiated with the client contracts- thus impossible to achieve these bonuses!

Advice to Management

Top-heavy organization leadership that does not connect with client sites; thus have lost many business opportunities. Treat contractors with more care as they pull in the majority of profit; constant turnover costs money and does not make the company look good.

Great to get experience. Then move on

I have been working at Performance Development Group

Pros

Hire you with limited experience. Good PTO

Cons

No real way to move up. There's most definitely a ceiling. Pay is great for some and terrible for others.

Advice to Management

Pay all employees fairly. Offer real career growth instead of only speaking about it

7. My experience with PDG has been nothing but positive. Great executive management!

I have been working at Performance Development Group

Pros

Great on-boarding program, open and accessible executive management staff.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Many broken promises, they don't value their employees at all

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Performance Development Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a client site is great. Their clients more often treat their employees better than PDG does. Working with other PDG employees is really great as well.

Cons

Employees are consistently made promises of professional development and training as well as advancement that is not delivered. We are promised all these career tracks and development opportunities that are not delivered. We are given training budget to develop ourselves, however most of those requests are more often denied, if ever allowed accepted. It's to the point where employees know not to submit any requests since they'll be rejected. Employees at client sites are also underpaid and raises have been unfairly given. We are given the impression that we're being listened to but nothing ever happens or changes.

Advice to Management

Please deliver on your promises or don't make these promises at all. Or just be realistic about what an employee should expect. Also, leadership should listen to their employees concerns. I also suspect leadership is often shielded of discontentment and concerns from middle management.

Enjoy being creative before you burn out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Amazing talent, you get to work with great people, the projects are usually very interesting and occasionally cutting edge, 90% telecommuting, fair salaries, diversity of clients

Cons

Extremely stressful, unrealistic deadlines and timetables, clients definitely come before employees, you are made to feel very replaceable and not valued--even bad about yourself despite when you're doing well, rigid procedures that don't always make sense, no place for advancement and very little personal development

Advice to Management

You need to value the staff more and let them feel good about themselves. Everyone at PDG works around the clock and are ridiculously talented but everyone regularly feels beat up. There are small incentives here and there but it can sometimes feel pretty disingenuous. Do whatever you can to keep your best talent -- they are worth keeping!

10. A good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Performance Development Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Performance Development Group or PDG is a good place to work to develop new skills. They are a growing company and as such, I have had opportunities to add new skills in my field where at a larger more static organization there might just be one person doing a specific task. Here there are opportunities to try new things and the support to feel comfortable trying them.

Cons

Because it is growing company, I have been given responsibilities in new areas, this can be challenging at times, but I feel that am expanding my knowledge.

A really fun place to work yourself to death.

Former Employee - Programmer in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Malvern, PA

I worked at Performance Development Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Phenomenal creative team. Very cool, media-rich projects. Able to work from home most days. Very flexible hours.

Cons

Working from home means you're ALWAYS at work. Co-workers expect you to be checking and responding to emails all day and all night. Ridiculous deadlines that require tons of overtime with no extra compensation. No respect for work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Allow the programming/creative teams to set deadlines and add plenty of buffer time for unexpected delays.

Performance Development Group Photos