Performance Food Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
George L. Holm

Pros
  • My experience with PFG was extremely positive (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This job is extremely Hard work (in 3 reviews)

• From a marketing perspective PFG might be a little to quick to imitate rather than innovate (in 3 reviews)

1. Business /Data Analyst

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at Performance Food Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the company ,people and also like to work closely with food industry as it is very important parts of our lives. Provides lot of insight to food we consume.

Cons

Easy access to lot of food

2. Area Manager

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Performance Food Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Administration Team, good co-workers

Cons

Female discrimination, poor management team, unprofessional

3. Great Experience at PFG

Former Intern - Graphic Design and Web in Richmond, VA
    Former Intern - Graphic Design and Web in Richmond, VA

I worked at Performance Food Group as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Marketing team is smart, hard-working and fun to be around. They are constantly trying to create better content and experiences for the PFG customers and associates. As an intern, I was treated like an associate and received real work to think through and produce, my opinions and ideas were valued, and I was brought into meetings at all levels. The team was also very flexible with my schedule while I was in school.

Cons

In a corporate environment, some things take longer to go through approval, and it wasn't any different at PFG.

5. IT Sr. Project Manager

Former Employee - IT Project Manager Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager Consultant in Richmond, VA

Pros

Close to home and great lunches. Flexible hours.

Cons

A very disjointed resource management process utilizing an understaffed resource technical staff both on-shore and off-shore making it very difficult to hit project schedules and deadlines.

Advice to Management

Hire on-site technical resources, beefing up their numbers, and decrease the number of managers in IT, and/or replace them with fresh talent.

More directors and managers than staff. Overlapping responsibilities with other managers.

Former Employee - Corporate Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Corporate Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Performance Food Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great subsidized lunches and food discounts. Potential for good bonuses. Able to work from home occasionally. Serene location.

Cons

Too much "leadership" and very poor communication. Negativity and backstabbing rewarded handsomely.

Advice to Management

Right-size management to staffing ratio. Promote mandatory ethics training. Draw clear lines of responsibility and encourage teamwork. Eliminate prima donnas who rise up by criticizing everybody and everything.

Over worked!

Former Employee - Facility Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Facility Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Performance Food Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Special price in for purchasing food which save lots of money. Met lots of new people, always something to do. Learned a lot about costumer service.

Cons

Cut throat environment with management. Lots of chest pounding but no accountibility when mistakes are made (the blame game). Some management have no clue what they are doing.

Decent Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Performance Food Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management teams listens and they are flexible. Management is knowledge about the company and care for their employees. Cheap lunch that is great. A lot of employee engagement activities. One on One review with manager. If they have concerns, they will let you know upfront in a mature way. Co-workers are kind and everyone respects each other. Policies are clear as well.

Cons

Learning and promotion opportunities are slow for some and fast for others. There are some in office “cliques” and everyone always does not feel included.

9. Behind The Ball

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Richmond, VA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at Performance Food Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, Great pay!

Cons

Tedious work. No innovation and Catty workplace. Older employees

Customer-centric and empowering, Great for Independent Restaurants

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Performance Food Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience with PFG was extremely positive. The company is made up of a lot of people that have left the corporate top-down food distributors At it's core are a number of employees from legacy companies that were the original founding companies of PFG. Employees are hardworking, dedicated, and committed to taking care of customers. Management is supportive and developing an excellence culture that is received well by employees and customers. No frills approach to getting the job done and deliver the cases. Salesforce is not encumbered with excessive reporting. Each operating division acts autonomously, focus is on taking care of customers and developing employees to take care of the customer.

Cons

They are still learning to be nimble in the marketplace. Working on systems and processes that enhance the customer experience is key. From a marketing perspective PFG might be a little to quick to imitate rather than innovate.

Advice to Management

Let operating companies run, this is a customer by customer process and operating companies can make nimble decisions. Continue to invest in technology that enables operating companies to streamline customer functions and provide timely and accurate deliveries. . Great opportunity to set yourselves apart from the mega players in the space. Focus on delivering those boxes quickly and efficiently and most importantly, continue to invest in quality people.

It was a great company until it got too big for its britches

Former Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA

Pros

The medical and 401(k) benefits were decent. The salary was comparable to the Richmond, VA market and the severance package was decent. Two weeks vacation after 1 year, 6 paid holidays and 4 paid personal days.

Cons

IT service and support has taken a hit due to IT outsourcing. Privately owned company looking to go public at the expense of employees and American jobs.

Advice to Management

Thanks for letting me go, I needed a paid break. Good luck with the IT outsourcing.

RSS Feed </> Embed