Performance Friction Brakes

Updated May 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Don Burgoon

If the work culture from top down were improved, you would have a superb company with smart, dedicated people.

ProsI felt like I used my degree for practical application, was able to appreciate automotive standards and powerful software capabilities, and learned that just simply being nice to each other is one of the most effective ways to facilitate getting stuff done. Camaraderie is at an all-time high when you have an overbearing force to unite against. It is the only thing that keeps you sane, but it also creates a micro-environment in which to cooperate and learn with your fellow employees (whether the top notices/cares/provides encouragement or not). Working here helped me see the potential in humanity that you don't typically notice in workplaces that are more subtly able to hide their negative undercurrents.

ConsI, along with other fellow employees, suffered burnout quickly due to an immensely (and unnecessarily) stressful environment. There was shouting, regular derogatory remarks based on culture/gender/sexual orientation, an HR department that had no resources to empower it, and an unhealthy rapport between different departments. On multiple occasions I experienced chest pain and panic attacks during work, mostly from having to listen to the yelling around me, but sometimes during hostile meetings in which conversations became personal attacks. Unfortunately, these behaviors were not always isolated to upper management--because it was okay for them to do it, it opened up the floor for anyone to behave this way if they chose. Fortunately, the majority of my colleagues acted with dignity and were not afraid to uphold what they believed was right in the face of this environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of your time, effort, and energy (and therefore money) is being wasted on suppressing your employees' talent through intimidation and plain ugliness. Take a step back and let them do what they do best, and show some genuine appreciation for them as human beings, not just through words, but through every action you make. Start small, face your insecurities; you have the power to change, you can do it if you really want.

Don't waste your time!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid Move (Former Employee)
    Clover, SC

ProsSorry found no pros there. Don't have to think...........the crazy owner does it all.

ConsEntire place is micro managed by the crazy owner. Managers can't do a thing until the owner tells them. New people coming and going every week. Don't know how HR can keep up with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive it up.............let the people you hire to do their jobs. You are not always right and losing many good people because you think you are GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roller Coaster

Meteorology Engineer (Current Employee)
    Clover, SC

ProsA lot to learn, co-workers (some)

ConsNo training system, no raises, no morals

Advice to Senior ManagementFind Jesus!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great experience, very demanding and fast paced

Supervision (Former Employee)
    Clover, SC

Prosgreat learning experience and PFC increased multitasking skills

Consrollercoaster ride, not knowing what's around the next corner

Advice to Senior Managementappreciate experience and dedication

This is the most inhumane,miserable, and frustrating company to work for.

ProsThe fact that you do receive your paycheck on-time gives this company one star.

ConsThis company expects you to use paid time off when the plant is shutdown over Fourth of July(one week) and Christmas Break ( two weeks) so you actually are forced to take days off without pay. Management is the worst I have ever seen from any employer. I have actually heard stories about the owner making people run laps around the building for no reason at all. Very difficult working environment to deal with in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a psychological evaluation from a Doctor. The environment you create is a part of your bi-polar behavior and unethical treatment of your employees. You are extremely lucky some people need a paycheck and are willing to put up with your abusive behavior. Most of your employees are dedicated and hard working but are tarnished by your negative outlook and insecurities.

They make it seem optimistic, but it's all really disappointing.

Clover, SC

ProsThey will generally give out a few things here and there. On a good day, if you have the few people that can subtly manage at least decently, they will give you a prop. Maybe an ipad or a cell phone. They're good at giving those things out.

ConsThe management here is terrible. They do not appreciate the good people that work for them. And no, I don't even mean myself--I see other people work harder than most others, and they get no appreciation for it. It's a family run company, and there are family disputes openly out for their employees to view. It's a negative environment with yelling, and no means to appreciate the truly good people at this company. There's no motivation at all. Management doesn't pat people on the back for doing a good job--they yell at people for not being good enough at anything. There's absolutely no way you will ever be good enough for the person that runs this company. Micromanaging every second of the day only backtracks improvement. There's no room to go forward here. They also say that they pay for most of your health insurance--this is untrue. They do not pay for any of it and the rates are extremely high. There is racism, sexism, and overall immoral values throughout the top management. There are good people here that get tossed around and are very unappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare some dignity and respect and enjoy the people that work for you. Pat people on the back every once and awhile. We are, after all, all human beings. Encouragement helps us to become better. Tell people when they are doing something wrong, but give people the encouragement and gratitude that they deserve.

Verbally Abusive Environment

Third Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Clover, SC

ProsCompany will pay for you education

Cons- Verbally abusive administration
    - Expected to work 6+ days a week at 10+ hours per day
    - Culture of fear of making mistakes rather than promoting advancement
    - Overly punish employees for mistakes
    - Quick to terminate employees
    - Lack of engineering on production floor
    - Poorly maintained equipment
    - Dark Dingy work environment
    - Owner treats all employees as they are inferior to him and this trickles down to other staff members
    - 2 weeks vacation per year and have to be used for company shut down for Christmas and 4th of July weeks
    - lack of training for employees
    - Very poor health care (costs approximately $600/month)
    - Owner wants "world class" but will not even spend to buy necessary tooling for production
    - 3rd Shift runs from Monday night through Friday night and will run most Saturday nights as well
    - Lack of production planning results in extra hours for production floor
    - Young inexperienced engineering staff

Advice to Senior ManagementBurnout is a real thing, consider work / life balance for your employees

Operated by a mad man

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

Prosyou can do nothing for extended periods of time. a fellow employee of mine did nothing for 6 months. literally, he watched you tube and talked about how he hasn't done any work for months. it was hilarious after 4 months. at 6 months it was getting sad. odd thing was, that wasn't the reason he got fired lol

Consthere are 200 employees and they are all micro managed by one man. he flips out and fires people regularly 90% of the time without any reason. actually I take that back he will fire you because he thinks you are out to get him. if you actualy do is not based in any kind of logic. He will have you running in so many directions you wont get anything done. so you might as well just sit there and watch you tube.

Advice to Senior Managementhow are you still in business? its really amazing.

Vibrant Dynamic, Something new everyday, High Turnover = opportunities for advancement

Product Engineer (Former Employee)
    Clover, SC

ProsLearning how to work effectively with difficult coworkers is a valuable skill to have and there are many opportunities to polish this skill.

ConsIt is not a publicly owned company, maximum vacation is only 3 weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to keep top talent, try to empower your employees to a higher level.

Worst company to work for

Prosnone, none, none, none and none

ConsHigh turn-over. Unless you hate yourself do not go there.

Worked for Performance Friction Brakes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Performance Friction Brakes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Performance Friction Brakes CEO Don Burgoon. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Performance Friction Brakes employees.