Performance Friction Brakes

1. so far so good

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Clover, SC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Clover, SC

I have been working at Performance Friction Brakes

Pros

laid back, good management, lots of help, great coworkers

Cons

none as of so far

Advice to Management

n/a

2. Ownership - True crazyness

I worked at Performance Friction Brakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are the maker of the worlds best product - Braking and friction products

Cons

I worked closely with the owner and while he can be charming, he is also very volatile. He had a saying, "Listen to what they say, but watch what they do" - he needs to follow his own advice. Very quirky, mean, hostile work environment. They cycle through talent and clients are very reluctant to work with him due to changing conditions. Just as a thought, under different leadership this would be the worlds largest and primary brake manufacture, but the owner needs to oversee all aspects of the business which limits its growth.

Advice to Management

Prepare the succession plan so that if Don departs (of gets ill), somebody can lead this business)

Dantes Inferno!

Former Employee - Engineer in Clover, SC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Clover, SC

I worked at Performance Friction Brakes full-time

Pros

Not much to say about this company that hasn't already been brought-up in the other reviews. The company has been sued and lost for abusing employees for trying to organize a union, which for all honesty is needed for their protection.

Cons

Dirty working environment (hint - brake pads are inherently dirty), abusive working environment, lack of respect, and run by a dysfunctional owner. There are many better places to work and if money is the main driver take less and go somewhere else. I have actually seen Don Burgoon throw brake pads at members of the engineering team.

Other reviews mention PTSD, I now understand what they are referring to. One day I took a drive around the plant after leaving for a better opportunity, and felt physically sick.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like Joseph Stalin! The only people who work there are the ones who have no other alternatives.

Now I know why they always are hiring.

I have been working at Performance Friction Brakes

Pros

Paycheck, somewhere to go for a short time

Cons

Place is a joke. I'm surprised it's still operating. Anyone hired are high paid "assistants", only to function to what 2 people there say to do. Apparently no experience in any field is necessary, because all you have to do is exactly what owner says. No one there wants to be there. They screw everyone out of any raise, benefits, bonus.

Advice to Management

Relax some. Let these people do there jobs and what they're getting paid to do. Look for some decent experienced people. Value your loyal employees. Bullying people will get you nothing. No one likes OR appreciates a bully. You have to EARN respect. Not demand it. No one wants to work some where they aren't respected, or have any respect for their supervisors, management, or coworker. Take a chill pill. please! Stop being a control freak. Learn how to talk to your fellow human beings. Most people you talk to there are smarter than you. You aren't better than others just because you have money. Stop acting like it. Recognize your followers that are brown nosers. That go along with everything you do. They are your worse enemies. Honest, smart people, that aren't afraid to challenge you, should be who you surround yourself with. Not high paid imbelsils, who can't think for theirselves. Your company might do better.

Meat Grinder

I worked at Performance Friction Brakes

Pros

If you like a challenge, by all means, take the plunge. Co-workers were great. Decent Benefits.

Cons

Never would have thought a job could cause PTSD - Find a friend fast to show you the ropes. Keep your head down - Don't make direct eye contact or you may anger the beast. Develop quick reflexes to dodge flying obstacles.

Advice to Management

Try working as a team vs spending your days blaming other departments to save your own bottom side.

Beware

Former Employee - Worker in Clover, SC
    Former Employee - Worker in Clover, SC

I worked at Performance Friction Brakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive about working for this company. Boy what a joke to work for. The owner told his staff to put good comments on this site. In one year I have seen over 200 people leave because of the way they were treated. i left because I am not willing to work in such conditions.

Cons

Violent owner, hard to work for. Verbally abusive. Physically abusive. Looks for ways to reduce your pay rate. I have seen the owner and have physical altercations with other employees. I have seen him be little and curse other coworkers. This happens every day.

Advice to Management

LEAVE NOW

Not for everybody

I have been working at Performance Friction Brakes

Pros

The people I work around

Cons

upper-management and being treated like you are a child and or stupid. Micro managing runs the show.

Advice to Management

Give your employees some respect and STOP micro managing us.

The good ones love it, the lazy ones hate it

Current Employee - Production in Clover, SC
    Current Employee - Production in Clover, SC

I have been working at Performance Friction Brakes

Pros

I learn something new every day. I've gained 10 years of knowledge in 4 years at PFC. The environment is for a certain type of person though. They definitely weed the weak ones out in their first year. Which for the highly motivated and hard working individual, it's great because you get to work with some great people. That's one of PFC's strengths. There is a lot of very knowledgable and very talented individuals in the building. All of which I'm lucky to work with every day.

Cons

Not for everyone. They are a world class manufacturing facility that serves high profile customers in a very competitive industry. Therefore it isn't the most forgiving environment for people who aren't giving 100% each day. You have to show up with your A game every day.

This company will give you PTSD.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Performance Friction Brakes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I always got paid and I did make some friends while I was there.

Cons

It takes a very special person to work there. Must be thick skinned, low self-esteem helps since you're verbally abused on a daily basis, regardless of who you are or what position you hold. Career advancement and raises are non-existent. Those who stay learn to "play the game", which just means they agree with whatever the owner's rant of the day is...even if it's 180° opposite from what it was yesterday. Don't expect to be able to actually affect change within the company because it's all talk.

Advice to Management

Perhaps therapy or counseling might help senior management.

Positive review likely fake... Don't torture youself

Former Employee - Purchasing
    Former Employee - Purchasing

I worked at Performance Friction Brakes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Every other company you work for will look like heaven

Cons

Management, abusive environment, PTSD takes a while to get over

RSS Feed </> Embed