Performance Matters Associates

2.5
Steven M. Stecher
1 Rating

1. No leads all cold door knocking

Pros

Some people were great to work with and very good training. Definitely had potential to make good money.

Cons

All commission job with a lot of travel expenses (food, hotel, gas, etc.) some management would lie a lot to try to motivate you hold you to there standard without making themselves accountable for themselves because they made money off what you sell.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to keep manager accountable. Quit playing favorites and help the ones that are truly hard working even if they aren't producing as much.

Still hopeful I made a good decision.....

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Performance Matters Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a commission only independent contractor sales position. Flexible schedule and no restriction on income. Partial commissions are advanced and paid very quickly. Given the reductions in most employer-sponsored health plans - supplemental plans are gaining traction with individual consumers which should bode well for future sales.

Cons

Training consists of learning canned sales pitches. Find it difficult to get management to be accountable. Apparently due to high sales force turnover those promoted to management often have little management or business experience. Quite a bit of upfront and ongoing expense to consider. The primary insurance company needs to get into the 21st century regarding their computer programs capability. Typical IMO mentality - who you are is what you've sold, period.

Advice to Management

Like most IMO's senior management, they presume they've done and/or seen it all. To be fair many of their policies reflect some very sound sales philosophy however CDs were best before the IPod came along.

3. Independent Contractor

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Dallas, TX

Pros

Backed by experienced insurance company. Very quick paid commissions on sales. Home Office training is good. Free marketing brochures and flyers

Cons

Luck of the draw with respect to local management. Most managers have little or no managemeent experience. Poor administration system especially for newer people. Requires purchase of cheap gifts as a way to entice worksite employees to hear presentations - I believe this demeans the product.

Advice to Management

Invest more in training new hires and new managers, unless of course the high turnover fits your business model, it appears that it does.

5. Billing

I have been working at Performance Matters Associates full-time

Pros

You feel a sense of fulfillment while on the job. There is a friendly working ambience among both staff and supervisors.

Cons

I dont really have any downside experience yet because i have enjoyed working in this company till date.

Advice to Management

They should keep up the good work. They should also work on staff salary.

Great potential but the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Former Employee - Agent, District Manager
    Former Employee - Agent, District Manager

I worked at Performance Matters Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best things that PMAUSA has to offer are the exclusivity of a great supplemental health product and the fantastic residual income potential.

Cons

The worst thing about PMAUSA is their varying degree of sales support and training. If you are new to the business, be prepared to fight to survive. Decent management is few and far between. The second to worst aspect of PMAUSA (and a very close second) is their claim of "self employment." Although you are contracted as a 1099 agent, it is a far cry from independence. If you don't play their games and follow their rules that change every other day, anticipate nothing but resistance from the top down. They can't fire you but it will feel like you have been "blacklisted" and at the point you are on an island all by yourself.

Very Deceptive

Former Employee - Independent Agent
    Former Employee - Independent Agent

I worked at Performance Matters Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Commission Rates Friendly Co-Workers Nothing More...

Cons

This job is a great way to get into debt. I worked for this company for 7 months and was the #1 agent for a while and on my way to becoming district manager. Management constantly reminds you that you are "your own boss". This is far from the truth. My mother became ill and I had to take a couple weeks off of work. After letting my boss know of the incident I had left and 1 week later I received a bill for $1000 in the mail claiming that I owed them money because I "quit". Do not take this job. All the good sales are cherry picked by the management and people are recruited with deceptive strategies. Trust me, there's only a 0.1% chance that you'll actually make more than $50,000 with this job.

Advice to Management

Study proper business ethics.

Performance Matters Associates are great folks to works with

I have been working at Performance Matters Associates full-time

Pros

Products are outstanding, company is continually growing, training is in depth. The people at the head office in Dallas are working very hard to grow this company and support the field agents.

Cons

Must be ready to put the work in and realize that your performance matters. Sales are a tough job and the opportunity is there, but not handed to you on a silver platter. Do not consider working there if you are looking for easy money.

Advice to Management

keep building, keep bringing in new talent.

It's been good. It depends though who your district and regional managers are.

Current Employee - Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Agent in Dallas, TX

Pros

Flexibility. Unlimited income if you're good a sales. One of the better supplemental health insurance groups. Products are good.

Cons

It's a constant, daily grind of finding clients, selling the product, putting up with cancellations. No health benefits. Competition is high. Commission only. Dry spells of no income.

Advice to Management

Could have a more in depth training program. Perhaps a 1 or 2 day orientation for each "region" or a state if it is a small state.

Oh What a Tangled Web We Weaver...

Current Employee - Independent Agent
    Current Employee - Independent Agent

Pros

Good bonus program (IF you can achieve sells goals). Decent Commission rates. Less leg-work than similar companies. Interesting C.E.O.

Cons

Recruiting process is deceptive. You are %100 self-funded in your ambitions. Commissions is paid on an advanced basis and recouped if employment is terminated. Supplies must be paid for on a secondary debit account with a high interest rate. Working EARLY and long hours, many times for no pay (depending on your success at the location.) This job is a great way to get into debt.

Advice to Management

Tell your state managers to explain the hazards and down-sides in the recruiting process instead of making it appear that $60,000 earnings your first year is almost guaranteed.

Biggest mistake of my life

Current Employee - Consumer Salesman in Montana (Bulgaria)
    Current Employee - Consumer Salesman in Montana (Bulgaria)

I have been working at Performance Matters Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent commissions and bonuses if you can get them.

Cons

Management lies to its sale force - told I would have a client database to use as leads, but the clients were contacted a short time prior by "favored employees", Sent out to work depressed areas. The system they use traps sales force workers to continually owing money to the company.

Advice to Management

Don't let management (State Manager) date their subordinates, and favor them over rest of employees, Insist that state managers give out the bonuses promised.

RSS Feed </> Embed