Performance Software Reviews

Timothy A. Bigelow

Positive PSW Reviews NOT Solicited

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Performance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There have been multiple reviews on this site about the CEO trying to coerce positive reviews from people. Clearly these people are part of the problem we have at the company. Here is the email verbatim, you can decide for yourself: What I’d like to request is that you all please take the time to post your own Glassdoor review of PSW • To be clear, I am not asking for anyone to post a review they don’t stand behind. Give PSW a good or bad review – it is totally up to you • What I am asking for is that you all make a special effort to participate (it would be great if we could achieve a 75% participation rate as we do when we are annually nominated for “Best Places to Work”) so that the public perception of PSW is more balanced

Cons

Apparently we have some people in our company with extremely poor reading comprehension skills. My experience tells me that the people that are undercompensated are the underperformers. I think people need to be more honest with themselves about their abilities.

A company built by engineers for engineers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Performance Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company leaders exhibit genuine caring for employees and for the workplace culture. Great people throughout. Problems are discussed openly, without the usual workplace politics. Ability is recognized, and provides opportunities for growth and career development.

Cons

Not a place you can hide if you are a low-performer. Not a lot of patience for workplace drama, and for those who have an "us vs them" mentality.

Advice to Management

Make the necessary changes to foster and sustain growth, without losing sight of our roots and where we came from.

Powerful cliques and their negative aspects

I have been working at Performance Software

Pros

Lol, it's funny that most of these reviews mention free snacks. Ask yourself honestly if a free snack a day would keep you at a company and if that is true, then where are your expectations! The schedule is flexible, that is the greatest benefit.

Cons

Most of the 'negative' reviews talk about the 'cliques' in Phoenix. The 'old timers' are powerful and untouchable. Even the 'positive' reviews show how forceful and in power they are by asking the CEO to stand aside and basically let them take control of the company. That would be a big mistake. At some point in time those same 'cliques' stand in the way of any new blood or ideas coming into the company. But at this time you must report and be held accountable to those 'cliques' because there is no independent HR dept reporting to the CEO.

Advice to Management

Tim, you will never be able to grow the company with the current structure in Phoenix.

Recent reviews are NOT coerced!

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer

I have been working at Performance Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a current employee, I wanted to mention that a previous review here saying Management encouraged positive reviews is patently false. Management did encourage participation in the anonymous reviews, but specifically mentioned to every employee to be completely honest and let the chips fall where they may, confident that many would be generally positive. And they look upon negative reviews as a growth opportunity. This can be easily seen by the fact that there are some recent critical, but constructive reviews. And we certainly have NOT been in the Red any year ever discrediting that review further. This is the place to work if a positive culture and great people relationships. It's a very flat organization with great transparency through the management chain. There are great opportunities for advancement on the technical path...you're not forced into management if that's not your thing. There are event teams which organize fun things every month, and free pop/snack/food are a nice touch. If you've never worked for a larger company, you may feel you are missing out on "sexy" work, but it's telling that we get a lot of "boomerang" employees that find the grass isn't always greener. Except as mentioned below, the management team is well connected with the employees and, for the most part, seem to care.

Cons

The work we get tends to be not the newest greatest stuff, although employees are encouraged to find better ways to do things, particularly automating tasks with tools. If you are the type of individual that just wants to be told what to do and to mindlessly do it, you'll be frustrated. If you enjoy more freedom than many large companies give in terms of thinking outside the box, then you'll thrive. There is some (unpaid) OT occasionally, but I'd say it's generally less than industry average. Many of our customers are on mandatory 48's or 54's of 60's, but we generally stay out of that wide paintbrush mandatory OT requirement. HR could do a better job of connecting with and being organized regarding potential recruits...If you make it to an interview, I guarantee that you will be far more impressed with the engineering staff than HR.

Advice to Management

To reiterate other's opinions, the Chairman (former CEO) needs to stay out of the day to day running. He is not well connected to what's going on and often makes decisions that aren't appropriate, causes stress and causes upper management to scramble, roll their eyes and not have ownership. He needs to empower his management team the same way he encourages others to empower theirs. He should define the desired results he wants, not specify the method to achieve them. IOW, practice what he preaches. And Upper Management need to push back more when they think an iffy decision is being made rather than say "it's his company", Because it's really not. He may own it, but it really is "our" company if we all take ownership.

Genuine Personal Company with Flaws

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Performance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule Outstanding work/life balance Excellent hiring standards and quality of people Still personal concern for employees (changing, unfortunately) Ability to relocate to at least 4 diverse areas of the country. Latitude to do our jobs "right" and learn while we do it. Flexibility, open office, and culture let employees help and lean on each other. Benefits are good and management is aggressive in keeping them affordable. Management responsive to concerns.

Cons

Management often TOO responsive - problem is generally put on employees. Deterioration of concern for employees lately, probably because of new "big company" HR [liability]. Compensation: Well under median pay (10% or more under). Raises well under industry average. Bonuses highly variable, all except one of mine has been under 0.5%. Direction: Management indecisive and unfocused. Career path and training: First-line Management can't direct career path for individual employees -- there is micromanagement and consensus from "the top" for this -- that is, if you are not a 'blessed' employee, you are not getting opportunity. This cliquishness runs from "the top" down. Work load: Generally boring work load (except clique). There is not much to do about this, we work legacy systems here. Lack of hiring focus: The company stresses skill sets like it's competing with Google for top software design talent while the true ideal employee based on the work is a motivated EE/CS double major with experience in QA or Process Engineering.

Advice to Management

RE: Too cliquish. You (executive management) must listen to input and accept that YOU need to change. Remember, nearly every review on this site says that we (coworkers) are generally VERY capable and dedicated. Look in the mirror for the problems to solve first, before slamming us with more things to do and making us feel like the problems are our fault. If you're serious about improving morale, spread REAL opportunity (workload and responsibility) around. RE: Management lack of focus: Your message seems to change every meeting, changing topics based on the chairman's opinion. None of these topics are fully investigated, there are no answers, and they're either debated FOREVER or they disappear completely with no action! Pick some strong things to chase down and do them. Spend a little money, get some real management training or coursework. And estimation, and innovation,... Hiring: If you are asking us to refer people (friends), tell us why we won't be light on work and benching people within a year or two. Be realistic in who you can get for what you can pay. Especially be realistic about the work you have and the skills needed for it! SUMMARY: The company still feels very opinion-driven. It's still formulated as the garage project of one person. If someone disagrees with that person, she or he won't have a great experience.

Performance Software - a great environment to work in!

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Performance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, flexible and flexible! Senior management is extremely in tuned with the company morale, attitude and needs. They promote/demand a culture geared toward the employee. From town hall meetings, to surveys, travel bonuses, to inspiring innovation to Culture Clubs etc - you get the point. The work load can be tough at times but even then management wants to ensure your family life doesn't suffer. The company is built of superior engineers and at times will have projects to challenge and projects that are far less challenging - which I personally appreciate because occasionally it is nice to be in a down mode. The management is mostly built of software engineers, so they have a good understanding of the work force they employ. To sum it up, there is a reason why Performance Software has work many workplace rewards!

Cons

This is barely a con but while they have many regional offices, they also support several engineers who work from home of which I am one. The ONLY down side to this is I miss the collaboration with the fellow engineers - the hallway chats of sharing knowledge. To compensate for this, several local employees who work from home meet occasionally for lunch and in this regard, the company is fostering work relationships! - Plus we have tools for communicating with each other quite readily.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I am totally confident that management is out to make the right decisions for the company!

The management asked for a review here it is

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Performance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good if you just want a paycheck, because you are never going to better your skills here.

Cons

Favoritism and nepotism are the most important aspects of working here. You need to be a high quality net worker to thrive here. If you know how to work the system you can get better quality work, except if you are female, then forget it, your treatment will be different.

Advice to Management

The new re-branding to "Performance" will be a complete failure. Who ever came up with such a ubiquitous meaningless name? Lazy and completely lacking in imagination for a company that is supposedly looking for A-type workers.

Technical Program Manager

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Performance Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PSW provides the ability to work on many different types of programs. Engineering staff is top notch and management maintains a focus to keep it that way. PSW has a work hard, play hard culture where your value is consistently recognized and rewarded. Great place to work!

Cons

As with any growing company there will be growth pains. PSW in the recent past has changed it's management structure several times trying to achieve a "best of both worlds" situation.. small company culture with big company stability and benefits. In addition these changes were necessary to ensure continued competitive cost structures for our customers. Those these changes were and can be cumbersome at the time, I have a strong belief PSW will find the right balance!

Excellent personal growth opportunity

Current Employee - Project Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Performance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about software engineering with emphasis on embedded systems in avionics. Friendly, close-knit atmosphere. Good compensation.

Cons

The office is very small, so there is limited senior knowledge. Often solutions must be sought on your own. Somebody who is not independent may struggle in this atmosphere.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Performance Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of very talented engineers that enjoy solving problems and getting the job done. Engineers at PSW are simply driven and focused on delivering the highest quality on every program. It's great to work with such passionate peers. PSW leadership is focused on providing the best work environment possible and really care about you as as a person. The culture at Performance Software is definitely one of the best I have ever experienced.

Cons

The company is growing and is adapting to the growth. This is challenging because organizational changes are required to allow for successful growth. There are bumps in the road that require flexibility and patience.

Advice to Management

Stay the course with the direction of the business. Continue the open and honest communication across the entire organization; continue to appreciate the employees; continue to grow leaders.

RSS Feed </> Embed