Perfumania Holdings

Updated Mar 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael W. Katz

A great stepping stone...

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsManager bonuses, Loss prevention bonuses, yearly meetings, fair commission rate on top of base salary. District and regional managers are very helpful in training you to be the best sales person you can be.

ConsNot much room for advancement once you hit store manager. Long work hours. 44 hrs a week not including breaks...so you're at 48hrs a week now.

Few resources and benefits for employees

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsStarted very quickly, good managers. A good company for entry level.

ConsAlmost no testers, no fragrances/products training for new or old employees. Poor salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop enterprise culture and more trainings

Hard work goes unnoticed with this company

Store Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Rehoboth Beach, DE

ProsGreat relationship with District Managers, they go above and beyond for their workers. The pay is partial commission, so if you are motivated by sales, the sky is the limit in the commission you can earn. Offer bonuses and incentives

ConsCorporate is so far removed from the stores. They request that Store Managers work a minimum of 44 hrs/week during the regular season, and 48-50 hrs/week during the holiday season on a salaried pay. They go out of their way to figure out how to not pay their employees. Many weeks where payroll made a "mistake" and our earnings would be incorrect, or not paid out. Bonuses were paid out sometimes 6 months after promised. After leaving the company, it took 3 months to get my final earnings paid out.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork one week in your stores and see all the hard work that goes on even after you mess up their pay checks.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK Company. Decent work atmosphere!

Director (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsGreat peers to work with.

ConsUnderpay. Limited promotion opportunities. High turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within more and pay employees a competitive salary

Great retail job, must have a good nose.

Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Vacaville, CA

ProsGreat coworkers, easy going yet challenging with sales.

ConsSo many perfumes you end up smelling like you swam in a sea of cologne!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what your doing. Rewarding you employees and keeping things challenging by commission sales.

Excellent Company

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Sunrise, FL

ProsEasy going supervisors that really care about you. Comfortable work environment. Stable income.

ConsRepetitive work and customers can be high maintenence

It was an overall enjoyment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsThe coworkers were great at store level

Conssome of management above store level were unorganized

Over 2 yrs with a pay freeze, insurance copays outrageous, and no room for advancement...its time to move on.

Strongsville, OH

ProsCommissions are ok. Great camaraderie among managers within a district. Upper management and corporate make their way to visit the stores so you get to meet who's in charge. Corporate big guys are very friendly and down to earth.

ConsSelling the Spa lotion. Everyone has to sell the spa lotion or you may receive a written warning or worse. Lack of hours allotted per store leaves store managers working longer hours; small staff.

Retail job

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsGreat seasonal job. Good commision programmes for sales people at all times.

ConsFollow up your paycheck, mistakes happened in big scales. 2008 tax forms were a mess. They had to correct and resend it all over. Not even to mention how inaccurate the checks were during 2008 holidays. They changed two of the 3 manager bonuses to be paid annually. You have to stick around 2 more months after year end and you might get your total last year`s manager bonus. People should be paid before their sweat dries off. The salaries are frozen and capped. You cant get a raise over a certain amount, and now, you cant even get a raise at all. And also forget about open door policy. District manager are trying to steal each others employees. Just all the way wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Trust in their voice. You might be suprised what you can learn from them. You are loosing your good people. So much time and money is invested in these people. Just so sad to see all these people running away.

Perfumania is great at times

ProsThe products are great. My DM is wonderful. The pay is good for a college student. Good envirnoment. Great retail job.

ConsThey don't listen to lower level employees (Asst. Manager/ 3rd Key) about ideas. Hard to inform DM about Boss wrongful doings without being penalized. DM needs to know that every store is different and you can treat them the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you guys to split bonuses that is only given to managers between the staff. I think that (well in my store) the staff works just as hard if not harder than managers. I think we need to know what's going on with our raises. Please stop telling DM's to give employees the spill that if we sell more that we make more money, we know that but sells always there. I really think that lower level employees need to know more about what they are doing good than what they can improve because they are not getting any bonus so why should they work harder?

Worked for Perfumania Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Perfumania Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Perfumania Holdings CEO Michael W. Katz. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Perfumania Holdings employees.