PerkinElmer

PerkinElmer Reviews in Boston, MA

PerkinElmer Vice Chairman, President, CEO, and COO Rob Friel

Rob Friel

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I learned a great deal and progressed in my career.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThere was a broad mix of talent ranging from engineering to sales. The company was widely diversified in its markets which helped mitigate the impact of the economic downturn.

ConsA substantial amount of growth was through acquisition which meant the company was extremely fragmented in its processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a longer term strategic business approach. Managing quarter to quarter will eventually become problematic for long term growth.

Was working as a Software Developer

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsWork is really good and introduction to new technologies.

ConsDo not convert into full time.

Writing reports and presentations for supervisors and management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGood benefits, I liked and miss the people. I got the opportunity to do some interesting work there.

ConsSpending to much time writing reports and presentations. This time would be better spent working in the lab. Conflicts between instrument division and reagent division. Instrument Division wants to sell it's high margin products. Reagent division wants to sell their products. Combining instruments and reagent doesn't work well. New acquisitions watch for layoffs. Matrix management s

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Luck.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be better, but not as bad as I have experienced

Multivendor Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsIt truly is a company you can believe in, we have a great purpose and make things better not for just people who can benefit from our products but for the users as well. We do a good job and it shows.

ConsVERY unfair on treatment between co-workers. Uneven pay scale and bonuses among same job titles. The glass ceiling seems so far very low and senior management seems to pacify WAY too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and stop biting the hands that are feeding you. Also learn to recognize people a bit more and stop pacifying people and actually listen to them and act.

A good company to work for but has room for improvement

Sales (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsMost of the people I have worked with were intelligent and professional. The product brand is well known and respected in the industry. Current president of LAS is a great leader and respected within customer circles.

ConsSome people in leadership/management are stretched too thin with reporting to develop their direct reports. Many of the products sold are "me too" and were not the first to the market. Key investments are made that do not benefit all or a majority of customer markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and promote employees who deserve it. Find R&D projects that can produce a product for ALL customers big and small.

Worked for PerkinElmer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PerkinElmer reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PerkinElmer CEO Rob Friel. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by PerkinElmer employees.