PerkinElmer

PerkinElmer Vice Chairman, President, CEO, and COO Rob Friel

Rob Friel

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unfortunate.

Kept Changing, Typical (Former Employee)

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI did have some good supervisors, but they are all gone now.

ConsLayoffs every quarter (I assume to stay below the radar). Everyone is running scared. No teamwork. Can't blame them.

However, it does leave a company full of :"yes" men. Poor souls, they are all too scared to raise even a slightly different viewpoint.

Continue to decline

Applications Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUsed to have good reputation (not any more)

Conspoor compensation; poor management;

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not know what they can do to reverse the trend.

Hardworking, great experience working with intelligent people and learning new skills

Senior Systems Quality Assurance Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgreat people to work with and ability to grow and learn new things. ISO 9000 certified and ability to learn new things in different departments as chemist and ISO 9000 auditor

Consnot being able to telecommute when the weather is bad

I did everything and was paid nothing

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros18 PTO days to start vested from day one.

ConsHealth insurance stunk, I paid almost 1000 a month for my family of 3 for medical vision and dental. Company reoganized every 6 months, so mangement was constantly changing. They threaten moving several times over the last 10 years, it seems they are going to be moving out of Shelton location in the next 14 months when the lease is up. Raises came once a year in April and they were average of 3-5 percent. When moving up within the company they hold you at caps normally 5-10% and you will still be under market min. HR STINKS! They are called the revolving door, no one ever stays long enough to be of any help.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together, stop lay offs in the start of the 4th quarter because you had a bad Q3 and you want to fudge the EOY results.

Started good, then lost its way

Tech Support Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGREAT people. Lack of oversight allowed for self management. If you worked, great acquired skills

ConsCompany went too lean. Slow to the punch with new technology. AWFUL leadership. Bad acquisitions. No path. Awful compensation. No path for a raise. Average benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. Friel is awful. Tenney is awful. Just a very poorly run place

Sad Shell of a Company

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPerkinElmer got to keep the name. But the technology went with Sciex. The technology is super old and cannot compete. Sorry, putting old technology in a new box doesn't cut it.

ConsPE keeps playing games to boost its numbers like selling its site in Turku and renting it back to show a "profit".

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the future. Not to the current products of your competitors.

Stay Away!

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some good non-manager people in this organization.

ConsAllow me to paint a picture.

Imagine a Gong Show hybrid LOTR scenario in which each and every month the President holds a meeting in which all managers have to present updates on the status of their departments and products (called MOR). This is against a back drop of continuous rounds of layoffs, severe understaffing and no employee development, Now these managers entire existence revolves around making sure the MOR goes well and will create all sorts of fiction, misdirection, songs and dances so that the gong does not go off on them while under the Eye of Sauron. If you do not paint a rosy picture during the MOR.....Gong! Employees just disappear around here at an astonishing rate....Now you see them now you don't!

Underscoring this is the fact that the company is so internally screwed up. Outdated SAP system, that has been so jerry rigged over the years that today the only thing keeping it from collapsing is rubber bands and bubble gum.

Internal processes are not mapped SOPs do not exist.

Job descriptions do not exist.

Organizational Chart does not exist.

Additionally:

Senior Management as other people have noted is a good 'ol boys club employees input not welcome. In fact employees are not valued at all.

Senior Management managing for the next quarter to boost the stock as much as they can. No long term goals no appreciation for science or creating good products.

Low salarys. No opportunities for advancement.

A completely demoralized work force who's main career goals (besides leaving for a better company) are to avoid the next round of layoffs. Like the board game Survivor.

I apologize that my picture is so ugly and negative.

All of us working here wish someone would have painted us this picture so that we could of avoided working for Perkinelmer.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat's the point?

Resume padding, but no growth

I have been working at PerkinElmer

Pros*Professional courses
*Chance to learn and study
*Great people to work with
*Travel
*Flexible time options
*Ok benefits
*Exposure to many scientific disciplines

ConsPerkinElmer quarterly lays off a good portion of work force. Company morale is desperately low. There is no set direction from leadership. The only plan is the 3 month plan. Short term monetary gains are encouraged at the expense of long term. Senior management has no idea about the product offerings of the company. Executive yell to mask ignorance. Company is over extended. Does not have expertise or manpower to cover what it says it does. Too many bean counters. No structure to financially compensate career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the little things. Pay your workforce. Do something, anything well. Follow through with plans. Take a hard look at who is leading and what they bring to the table. Remove the tired faces and ideas.

Horrible managers.

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at PerkinElmer

ProsIt used to have a proud history of making great products

ConsNot anymore. Management is a huge problem. Everyone is a "leader". The environment is super political with all its associated back biting and dirty tricks.
Management is interested only in making sure they are looked at favorably by their managers. They are not interested in building good product, like the PE of old.
They do not listen nor care about their people. In one meeting, where they explained a lay off it was said that "we have good news and bad news: the bad news is that we had to lay four people off but the good news is that we were able to hire six people in Singapore". People are sandbagged, blamed for problems that are caused by management's incompetence.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave.

Not the PerkinElmer it once was

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at PerkinElmer

ProsName recognition is good. Most people know who PE is.

ConsManagment is very poor. Very political company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive not reactive to market

Worked for PerkinElmer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PerkinElmer reviews and ratings in Shelton, CT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PerkinElmer CEO Rob Friel. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by PerkinElmer employees.