Perkins Coie

Perkins Coie Managing Partner Bob Giles

Bob Giles

Something is missing

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFairly safe, unchallenging environment; attempts at team building-mostly through food.

ConsManagement is similar to high school, very little joy in performing well, lots of management from the home office, PTO is below average with accommodation focused on child-based time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnyone who has been in the business for a substantial period of time likes what they do and does not need prodding to do a good job - management needs to recognize the accomplishments and professionalism of employees other than attorneys. Lots of lip service but little follow-through.

Dysfunctional, disengaged and demeaning sweat shop

Associate (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree drinks, some of the attorneys and staff are truely nice and helpful

ConsHeavy workload, management, both local and Seattle. Short-sighted micro-managers and partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo work-life balance for associates. Centrallized management does not work. Seattle needs to listen to the local offices more, especially the IT managers. Quit trying to push retarded concepts like ticket quotas on your already stressed-out staff. Seriously, 75 tickets a week? Why?? We lost a valued IT person due to Seattle management and their bloated egos.

Friendly people in a rigid large corporate environment.

Legal Assistant (Current Employee)
Boise, ID

I have been working at Perkins Coie for more than a year

ProsGreat corporate resources such as the online library, online training programs,community involvement and great networking among all the offices.

ConsRigid environment, low pay. Need to trust your senior adult staff and not micro manage them.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people shine and don't micromanage their every move.

Amazing coworkers, terrible upper management.

Conflicts Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for more than a year

ProsMost people in my department were really interesting folks and always willing to lend a hand. There were constant free lunches and happy hours. The yearly bonus is 5% of your annual salary.

ConsThe people running the show in my department were completely disengaged and had poor judgment. They didn't seem like they respected anyone who didn't have a JD. Little possibility to move to other positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. In lieu of that, be a bit more democratic about decision-making. Forcing your employees to use terrible software to do their jobs is not going to endear them to you.

Learned a lot but worked too hard for no reason

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Perkins Coie

ProsI had the opportunity to learn a lot. Made some good friends.

ConsNo opportunities for advancement. Too many useless rules that got in the way. Compensation was not competitive. No recognition or support from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and maybe your turnover rates will drop.

Do Your Homework

Manageemnt (Former Employee)

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBase salary is adequate. Physical office space is nice (Seattle

ConsI spent a number of years at the firm on the staff side. This review is regarding that part of the firm. Anyone who has worked at a law firm knows how attorneys treat staff and Perkins is no different in its poor treatment. Having a Partner/Chief/Manager scream at you for the most minor of things makes them look ridiculous and is pretty pathetic and juvenile and gets tiresome. You can either live with that of not, for me, after a number of years it got old and I left of my own accord.The environment is highly politically charged and staff treat each other very poorly. Politics happen at a workplace, but here it was often petty and very pointless.

Benefits are really poor, medical coverage for a family is outrageous. If you are in the position of providing medical coverage for your spouse and children it will hurt your paycheck and you are better off with an independent plan, or at least now worse. When I told people about what I paid up front for my medical coverage they were shocked.

The ‘C’ suite consists of mediocre leaders (at best) punching their cards until retirement, so don’t expect great leadership or support. This has become even more apparent since the previous COO left who knew how to get work done.

It definitely has a small firm mentality, it doesn’t want to invest resources in both supporting and pushing new projects/technologies. This results in burnout. The good people leave and the not so great stay. A LOT of people have parked their careers here, especially in the technology group. Don’t expect a great abundance of talent, it isn’t there. They know how to avoid responsibility and accountability and are experts at flying under the radar. They will leave you hanging out to dry as punishment for having pride in your work and wanting to achieve something.

In general most managers talk a good game but when it comes down to execution they are woefully inadequate. They like to spend time on pet projects or their own career development instead.

Since leaving I have realized how toxic that environment was. As a temporary or short term place of employment it would be fine, unless you have a JD I wouldn’t expect a long term career to be satisfying. Really do your homework before accepting a position here.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement (on the legal side) need to clean house on the staff side. Not one of your leaders are worth saving. Even the leaders that talk a good talk are mostly unqualified to do the job. You are being short changed.

Pay is not competitive and management is poor!

Legal Secretary (Current Employee)

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice cafeteria and some perks

ConsVERY short staffed at all times. Secretarial staff is much smaller than it should be for the amount of attorneys per each desk. Experienced and knowledgeable secretaries are leaving left and right and poor management leaves you feeling unappreciated. This is not one of the best places to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake necessary changes to keep experienced secretaries onboard. Give your employees the tools they need to do their jobs and show some appreciation on a case by case basis. Your reputation as an employer remains poor.

Great attorneys, wholly incompetent administration

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReasonably good benefits for employee (not dependents), pretty attorney offices and conference rooms (Orwellian, cramped offices in "headquarters"), some incredibly smart people

ConsUnless you are a timekeeper, it will be abundantly clear that you are a second class citizen. As this firm grows by acquisition, the culture has shifted for the worse. Most of the firm's administrative leaders are checked-out, merely riding on the coattails of the firm's success. And, these are folks who, even if they gave "110%", would be fairly ineffective. There are some incredibly smart people in the middle management pool, however, most of these "doers" are completely disgruntled due to the pervasive, tacit understanding that their managers are getting paid to do nothing. In short, it's a toxic, Kafkaesque environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm is thankfully run by an executive committee powered by attorneys. This will contribute to the success of the firm. If managerial decisions were left to the staff chiefs, the firm would have failed years ago. My advice to the attorneys: Unshackle yourselves from the egregious overhead costs of an ineffective management team. Start over from scratch. Develop a team of strategic, proactive thinkers. Lose the deadweight of bureaucratic administrators who have their own best interests in mind.

Decent internship, learned alot, great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Perkins Coie

ProsLearned about law, new opportunities. Great summer internship to get my foot in the door and get something on my resume about the industry.

ConsOnly one area, worked alone a lot. Didn't get to participate in the key parts of deals/hear about them, but then again, I was just a paralegal.

Extremely regimented atmosphere with more rules and obstacles than you can imagine

IT Engineer (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for less than a year

ProsHigh compensation but long hours, and little if any appreciation or upward mobility.

ConsConstant emergency situations and being asked to perform the impossible by whoever the highest earning attorney of the month at the firm happens to be. Low budgets, with highest expectations, unreasonable ones. Discriminates against employees with disabilities, refusing even slightest reasonable accommodation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssign higher budgets to IT, and allow IT professionals to do their jobs without micromanaging by attorneys who know nothing about technology. Allow CIO to be empowered to make decisions and not be at mercy of a different rabid attorney every week, with each new attorney switching directions for IT

Worked for Perkins Coie? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Perkins Coie reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Perkins Coie CEO Bob Giles. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Perkins Coie employees.