www.perkinscoie.com

Updated December 13, 2014
3.2

Perkins Coie Managing Partner Bob Giles
Bob Giles

Pros
  • Good benefits and employee perks (in 3 reviews)

• The firm had great benefits and working conditions were good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If you do all of those things, it will be THE BEST place you will ever have the pleasure of working (in 3 reviews)

• hard work was not a deciding factor or else she would not have lasted a day (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at Perkins Coie

Pros

Perkins Coie is a great law firm with top notch clients, interesting work and a truly collegial culture

Cons

Still some office politics to contend with

Great people! Relaxed environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Perkins Coie as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The office relatively laid back. The people are very nice and often friendly. Of course there are some who don't have proper manners, but overall it's a great group of people.

The company seems to offer opportunities for managers to work from home at least one day out of the week and provides flexibility to travel between offices to work.

The pay for a contract roles isn't an embarrassment. It's fair.

Cons

There are politics involved with most things. It takes time for you to prove yourself, so promotions can be few and far between.

Not sure if contracts could lead to a full-time position. It doesn't seem possible.

Create more opportunities for everyone to get to know each other. Limit the politics and listen to your employees.

Continue to do the things you do well (i.e., hiring good, intelligent people) and everything will continue to progress as you expect them to.

Great company overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great comapny culture and friendly place to work

Cons

Some inter department communications issues like in every other corporation.

worked as a temporary employee

I worked at Perkins Coie as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, excellent atmosphere, wonderful co-workers. I enjoyed my time at Perkins and hoped to be hired on permanently.

Cons

Management made me feel, as a temp, like a second rate citizen sometimes and were somewhat passive-agressive.

I was deeply depressed and miserable by the end.

Former Employee - Junior Secretary in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Junior Secretary in Portland, OR

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time

Pros

Nice location, not bad benefits, pretty good starting pay. Most lawyers were pretty nice.

Cons

-Staff could be quite mean and backstabbing for reasons that were unclear
    -Very poor communication between management and staff regarding expectations and objectives of new employee training
    -Staff management are naive to the infighting and politics that go on among secretaries
    -Office completely lacks diversity; and management, in a shallow attempt to increase firm's diversity numbers, injects as many minorities in as it can without doing anything to change office culture. As a result, such people are victims of the older staff's internalized racial biases, all of which the management is clearly untrained to spot
    -The staff manager seems to serve as the go-to HR person for grievances, which seems like a conflict of interest
    -Some of the secretaries and paralegals are petty enough to drive one insane. Instead of doing things the efficient and quick way, everyone has to have their own special way of doing things
    -Management is pretty unsympathetic to any grievances you might have. In fact, I'd often heard that they're more likely to presume that the problem is you rather than anything else
    -The Portland office is so obsessed with being the best Perkins office that they sacrifice everything for it. Three staff people left in less than a year during my time there, one of them in quite a dramatic manner. People at that office are worked like dogs and terribly unhappy, but they wouldn't dare speak up out of fear of management retribution
    -Management engaged in favoritism and ignored the complaints made about favored secretaries and Dept. Assistants
    -The review system is perfectly lopsided. You can review yourself, and your superiors (the people who train you) can review you. However, you don't get to review the quality of your superiors' training. Basically, it's their word against yours.

These remarks apply only to management in the Portland office. I can't speak for the others.
    1. You need training in privilege and spotting racial bias in the workplace. Then, you need to have your entire office undergo training in the same.
    2. You need to pay more attention to the infighting that goes on among secretaries and then do more to defuse it.
    3. Be a little more open to the possibility that your office might have deep, systemic issues that you really should address if you want to continue your success.
    4. Communicate your expectations and objectives to new staff clearly and make sure that secretaries understand those expectations and objectives and are on the same page as you.
    5. Your review system needs to be revamped completely. Subjective impressions should not be considered a part of professional feedback.
    6. In all truth, this office probably needs new management.

Department Assistant

Current Employee - Department Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Department Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, company reputation and people

Cons

compensation and limited growth

Great Firm...So Long As You Are Dripping With Kindness

Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent transparency, market or above-market salaries, partners who really care about helping associates learn and advance their careers, beyond-wonderful benefits.

Cons

If anyone, and I mean anyone, gets the idea that you aren't dripping with kindness 100% of the time, it will be immediately elevated to executive management and you will get a "talking to" along with a memo in your file stating that you are rude and do not demonstrate respect for others. Moral of the story: even a failure to smile at the paralegal you pass in the hall can get you into serious trouble. Be nice, if you have a bad day don't dare show it, and don't stand up for yourself. If you do all of those things, it will be THE BEST place you will ever have the pleasure of working.

If an accusation is levied against an employee, get that employee's side of the story before disseminating false and damaging information to the upper echelons of firm management. And if the accused employee is able to rebut the accusation, correct the false information in his file and let management know of the mistake so that his name can be cleared.

Marketing in Client Relations

Former Employee - Client Relations Administrator
    Former Employee - Client Relations Administrator

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Perkins Coie was a great place to work but experiences vary by department. Most people at the firm were nice and there are still people I consider friends there. The firm had great benefits and working conditions were good. Many in The marketing group worked hardand they cared about their work. That is the best thing I can say about the department.

Cons

Many departments in the firm are great but Client reltions was broken. Many people were unhappy while I was there. I was there for several years and had my ideas and work stolen all the time and was promoted only twice. Never to manager. I was never taken seriously and have more respect now in my new position at another firm than I ever did there.

The CMO was dismissed and also another leader right after I left. The CMO stopped caring long before his last day and relied on others far less qualified to lead the department. They should not have stopped at letting the CmO go.. Very few leadership in the department from managers to directors knew what they are doing. My manager did not do much. That did not stop her from always landing on top. hard work was not a deciding factor or else she would not have lasted a day. leaders focused on solving the wrong issues and giving power to the wrong people.

many people in the department were overworked while others left early all the time. Things were imbalanced and leadership did not do anything except pile more work on the most overworked while relieving work pressure from workers who had the most work and life balance. I left by 5 on most days and still worked at home every night until 11 most nights. There were people who spent more time getting facials than working. Many people had nervous breakdowns and health issues because they were so overworked while others spent more time traveling to other offices to go shopping with coworkers. firm leadership did not notice or did not question this. The things unqualified leaders did and allowed from their favorites was surprising. The department is full of dramatics. It was an unhealthy department to work in and I am happy to have moved on. The firm was great. Marketing was not.

Firm management should Keep its eyes open. Look at eveyone in marketing and make the tough decisions. Do something to fix client relations or keep dealing with the same issues and complaints from attorneys and staff in other departments. Many people have asked me if they should work in marketing there and I tell them no because the department environment is toxic.

Great coworkers

Current Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time

Pros

Everyone is very nice, approachable, and appreciative. Good benefits and employee perks

Cons

Would be nice to see them value staff more. Very top-heavy establishment.

Really a great place to work

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits at this firm are better than any I've ever come across. Good 401k match, good bonus, good retirement contribution. They pay for the employee's insurance and there is a paid sabbatical depending on how

Cons

When you first start as staff, unless you come in with someone who negotiates something better for you, you only get 15 days off each year.

When I was there, the HR department was in flux. I hope it has changed for the better. I do know they get rid of one of the problems in my office (Chicago) after I was gone.