Perkins Eastman

Solid Job Security

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Perkins Eastman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are okay, job security is relatively good, people were great in general

Cons

Boring, office, no comp time for overtime

Good company

I have been working at Perkins Eastman

Pros

Overall great coworkers and working environment

Cons

Some frustrations with upper management.

Run!

I have been working at Perkins Eastman

Pros

Free water, ice and coffee

Cons

I don't want to waste my time writing cons, will take forever

I liked it

Former Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Perkins Eastman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of resources and knowledgeable people

Cons

average pay / mediocre design / corporate office views you as a worker bee

none

Scratching my head

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Perkins Eastman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Brad Perkins is an amazing friendly, down to earth likeable guy but I don't understand how he chose the folks he surrounds himself with. I have a fantastic studio leader and really like my coworkers. The NY office's culture is a good one, very friendly vibes within the studios but many of us fear being moved to different ones.

Cons

many of the executive group do not even acknowledge those of us that are senior associates and work late into the night to get their designs just right. The president, David Hoglund, will walk right past you quite briskly while looking at you as if you don't even exist, it's quite obvious he has no friends here nor does he want any and even when he presents to us, it's without any passion for our work . It's very degrading to work as hard as we do only to be ignored by those that we are working so hard to please. This company has so much potential if they would just find good leadership. MaryJean Eastman is very friendly with the staff but she's also a very emotionally charged person who has very obvious favorites in studio 6, the studio those of us in other studio refer to as her "golden children" I have been here over 7 yrs and just keep hoping for change. Will hang on for a bit longer in hopes that a new management will be put in place.

change up your board of directors, many of us sit up on 6 and are constantly amazed to never see new younger faces and more designers

Worst place ever! Stay away.

Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Perkins Eastman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best reason to work here is only if you want to be treated poorly by management; if you want to work like a slave, while management siphons off the profits and leaves the crumbs for those that really do the work..... best reason to work here if you want to work for a firm that claims to be the best, but has way too many low paid technicaly illiterate staff, many who do not know how to build a dog house... best reason to work here if you want to work where management lacks really project manatgement skill. best place to work if you like to produce mediocre product. best place to work if you like to work for a place where if you drop dead at the your desk they will sweep you aside to make room for their next drone. PATHETIC COMPANY......

Cons

JUST READ ALL THE EMPLOYEE REVIEWS, THERE ARE SO MANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS FROM CURRENT EMPLOYEES, ITS SAD! They treat their staff poorly because they are greedy and do not understand basic project management skills. Project management consists of maximum profits without any regard to quality. Quality controls and technical expertise is almost nonexistant...staff overworked because top principals are taking home 160k and up and the project fees can not support their bloats salaries, thus staff has to work like dogs to keep projects uprofitable.... pathetic..

Advice to management, go study project management concepts and implement them. Reduce your bloated salaries so projects can be profitable and sttr ff can be treated with respect and dignity. Bietter yet QUIT

Client-focused, high pay, great teamwork

I have been working at Perkins Eastman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People collaborate across all disciplines, client types, and office locations
    Commitment to clients is reinforced at all levels - I've learned very innovative ways to understand the user experience of the clients we are designing for
    Excellent technology and knowledge management system
    Focused on evidence-based design
    Excellent compensation package

Cons

Our own work environment is not a good expression of our values

Continue to encourage collaboration at all levels

PE (S9): lackluster...

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Perkins Eastman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is one of the largest architecture firms based in New York, and there is job security: the company is seemingly a place where one could work for the remainder of a career. I believe most employees stay for this reason in addition to inertia. There are also many studios at Perkins Eastman and transition from one to another may help your experience. The hours can be very reasonable.

Cons

Low budgets are the driving force of projects as well the driving force for an employee's experience of the office. Employees are not rewarded on merit. Very small bonuses, no in-house printshop (therefore cannot be used unless specifically commissioned), sad, banal office culture and parties/events... There is a general lack of design intent on projects. Managers control projects (under the tight scrutiny of the senior managers who have to enforce strict hours due to low billing, which results in usually less-than-mediocre work); designers are Photoshop-ers. There is a very high turnover rate at S9.

Many upper management personnel work counter-productively. It would be difficult to take in this slack, especially since the hiring process brings in so many unsuitable replacements.

Lost Culture

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Perkins Eastman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PE has many opportunities for a variety of practitioners. They are financially very successful and capable of providing state of the art infrastructure allowing one to communicate and collaborate very effectively. The work space is spacious and comfortable. Marketing and management are very strong and is what PE does best. Diverse practice areas is what has made them so successful but it is also at the root of their weakness. Their designers appear to be working well also. Some of the partners are approachable and personable with a gift for bringing out your best effort. Salaries and bonuses are good.

Cons

PE needs to find a brand, they are so diverse with a top heavy staff , many with inflated egos. Too many of the principals are only interestedin personal advancement that they tend to overlook quality of services being provided. The approach in design does not allow for attention to detail. They deliver mostly conceptual designs. This may be cost effective but their approach and results have failed to yield a recognizable brand.

PE also needs to shed the appearance of race and gender favoritism. Many of the titled positions are held by white males, this really needs to change.

Continue to be profitable and carve a select group of leaders, designers and technicians' provide them with the necessary support so as to find and develop a firm-wide method that may result in a brand recognized in the design community. The design committee is not appropriately staffed as not many have ever built a project.

Next year try not to promote only white males.

Mega architecture firm

Current Employee - Senior Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Perkins Eastman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great place to meet good people, and exposed to awesome projects

Cons

too big to achieve personal goal if you are not an opportunist.

firm became too big that not many principals are care about basic fundamental of team work. It's the personal connection that bring out the best of each employees to do their best performance, not the efficient management by seniors.