Perkins Restaurant and Bakery

Updated November 29, 2014
Updated November 29, 2014
3.2

Joseph Trungale

Pros
  • There are always some great people in every company and Perkins has plenty of them (in 5 reviews)

• Good tips,Fun and fast paced,certain managment excellent, (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • unstable upper management in the company (in 5 reviews)

• Long hours to achieve yearly salary (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Management was not good

Former Employee - Hostess in Collierville, TN
    Former Employee - Hostess in Collierville, TN

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like working with people.

Cons

The manager that was there @ that time would change the schedule with out notifying you, she got mad @ someone she would not put them on the schedule, and if she did them on the schedule it was only a day or 2 that week.

Good for a first job, but not something I wanted to stick around for

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started out as a hostess at Perkins as my first job. It was rough, as I was not used to the hustle and bustle of busy Sunday mornings, but once I got the hang of it, I learned how to multitask and think on my feet, skills that I first practiced in this job. There is some career advancement depending on your location; I became a server about a year after I first got my hostessing job. I was fortunate that I had some great supervisors who were willing to work around schedules and let me go home if I was waiting on one final table for the night to finally leave.

Cons

Working at Perkins became more frustrating when we changed general managers. Our new GM often did not understand what was going on. And while many servers did have the tendency to call out last-minute, he misdirected his frustration at me one morning when I caught a stomach bug and had to call out of work for the day. Our store was also quite dirty.

Listen to servers and hosts/hostesses who are dissatisfied and give them ways to feel like they're valued.

good

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

hours, co managers and room to advance

Cons

greedy servers, no choice in hours

loose the dead weight. and focus on new ideals to keep the position fresh

give an inch they take a mile

Current Employee - FPM in Nowhere, OK
    Current Employee - FPM in Nowhere, OK

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some co-workers are great to work with

Cons

Expectations of some salaried manager( the least paid of the three) are great. Corporate (meaning franchise) upper management make demands that seem to be unrealistic

they wouldn't listen anyways

Former server - Perkins in NJ

Former Employee - Server in Flemington, NJ
    Former Employee - Server in Flemington, NJ

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with my school schedule, good way to make money if you're a student, good coworkers. Any of the cons listed below really only apply to the individual and not the company as a whole.

Cons

If you aren't good at serving and aren't a people-person, you won't make as much money or get the good shifts. Sometimes they'll take advantage of you if you have free time; live close by; and are a hard worker. It's hard, but you have to learn to say "No."

Ugh

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time

Pros

You get to figure things out for yourself, lots of hands on learning

Cons

training and development is a joke

Figure out who you are........

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Midwest City, OK
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Midwest City, OK

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are always some great people in every company and Perkins has plenty of them. Proud of Perkins partnership and commitment to "Give Kids the World".

Cons

bankruptcy was a very demoralizing event- dealing with vendors and customers and the perception that it carries. Also the reality of not being able to maintain or improve the facilities to keep up with customer expectations. Hopefully the new owners have the bankroll and the patience to work it out and get it right.

Figure out what Perkins market is - or is going to be and execute to it. The Perkins ship has sailed to too many different winds over the years.

Poorly treated

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was better than some. That's honestly about it. Nothing else I can say.

Cons

Poor treatment. They say they're all about respect, but honestly that is a complete lie.

Stop poorly treating workers just because they're new.

Decent pay, work isn't too difficult, for the most part it's not a bad job.

Current Employee - Baker in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Baker in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay isn't bad. Work is easy enough. Usually good management and coworkers. Usually good hours are given if you do the job well, and want them of course.

Cons

Early workday - 5am! Didn't see a raise until after already working there for 2 years. While the work is easy, sometimes the workload is too much (holidays and weekends) and it seems that not enough time is given to complete all your tasks "on time." Sometimes I had to pick up the slack of certain coworkers too. I saw lots of double standards as well (for instance, certain coworkers showing up 40 minutes late on a daily basis, management never saying a word, while I walk in 1-5 minutes late occasionally and something is said... and we weren't even open yet). Not much room to advance it seems. Was also hired as "full-time" but was always being rushed out the door, once the holiday season was over I never received more than 20 hours.

Understand that it takes more than 3-4 hours to complete all tasks unless it's a very easy day. Stop with the double standards. Understand that it's an extremely early morning shift - people are bound to be a couple minutes late that early - better late than never.

Bus person

Former Employee - Bus Person in Willmar, MN
    Former Employee - Bus Person in Willmar, MN

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get 50% of while u work

Cons

Everything else, supervisors for morning shifts very rude, food is expensive even with 50% off, and had me work every weekend even those I requested off... Plus u are not allowed to request any holidays or prom off