Perkins Restaurant and Bakery

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015
3.5

Joseph Trungale

Pros
  • There are always some great people in every company and Perkins has plenty of them (in 5 reviews)

• Good tips,Fun and fast paced,certain managment excellent, (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • unstable upper management in the company (in 5 reviews)

• Long hours to achieve yearly salary (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Figure out who you are........

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Midwest City, OK
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Midwest City, OK

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are always some great people in every company and Perkins has plenty of them. Proud of Perkins partnership and commitment to "Give Kids the World".

Cons

bankruptcy was a very demoralizing event- dealing with vendors and customers and the perception that it carries. Also the reality of not being able to maintain or improve the facilities to keep up with customer expectations. Hopefully the new owners have the bankroll and the patience to work it out and get it right.

Figure out what Perkins market is - or is going to be and execute to it. The Perkins ship has sailed to too many different winds over the years.

Poorly treated

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was better than some. That's honestly about it. Nothing else I can say.

Cons

Poor treatment. They say they're all about respect, but honestly that is a complete lie.

Stop poorly treating workers just because they're new.

Bus person

Former Employee - Bus Person in Willmar, MN
    Former Employee - Bus Person in Willmar, MN

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get 50% of while u work

Cons

Everything else, supervisors for morning shifts very rude, food is expensive even with 50% off, and had me work every weekend even those I requested off... Plus u are not allowed to request any holidays or prom off

Decent pay, work isn't too difficult, for the most part it's not a bad job.

Current Employee - Baker in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Baker in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay isn't bad. Work is easy enough. Usually good management and coworkers. Usually good hours are given if you do the job well, and want them of course.

Cons

Early workday - 5am! Didn't see a raise until after already working there for 2 years. While the work is easy, sometimes the workload is too much (holidays and weekends) and it seems that not enough time is given to complete all your tasks "on time." Sometimes I had to pick up the slack of certain coworkers too. I saw lots of double standards as well (for instance, certain coworkers showing up 40 minutes late on a daily basis, management never saying a word, while I walk in 1-5 minutes late occasionally and something is said... and we weren't even open yet). Not much room to advance it seems. Was also hired as "full-time" but was always being rushed out the door, once the holiday season was over I never received more than 20 hours.

Understand that it takes more than 3-4 hours to complete all tasks unless it's a very easy day. Stop with the double standards. Understand that it's an extremely early morning shift - people are bound to be a couple minutes late that early - better late than never.

Horrible Disgusting Kitchen & Upper Staff

Current Employee - Line Cook in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Line Cook in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (less than a year)

Pros

*Good Pay
    *Nice People
    *Strong Feeling Of Relief After Going Home

Cons

*Pay Not Worth Work Effort
    *Horrible Kitchen Environment. (Sickening Smell, Extreme Heat, etc..)
    *There Are Obviously Many Dead Animals In The Building.
    *Forced To Do Other People's Jobs. (Such As Things The Waiter/Waitresses Should Do Themselves)
    *Very Mean, Rude Managers.
    *Overtime Everyday. No One Leaves Even If You Are Dying. You Will Never Get Out When You're Supposed To.
    *NO BREAKS EVER!
    *Understaffed
    *No Insurance, Benefits, Or Sick Days (You Can Get Fired For Calling In Sick With Out Going To The Hospital First)

Server/Expediter/Host

Current Employee - Waiter in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Waiter in San Jose, CA

Pros

Ability to move around in the company, upward mobility, employee has a strong influence on scheduling, most MC's restaurants have young cohesive employees who get along in and out of work

Cons

Have to work every holiday, no wage raises, they strongly hassle you for being sick even if its one time in five years, poor training program, bureaucratic, outdated, just not a place that one would be proud to say they work at, there is no table limit you can be seated upwards of 12 parties at once.

Audit cash reconciliations, Most store managers are too young and are not prepared to manage, Increase the companies training for all positions, rewards your employees instead of only threatening them as a way of motivation.

Job or Career

Former Employee - Associate Manager
    Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery

Pros

Good atmosphere. Easy to keep your job. Relatively easy work. Flexible schedules. Food discounts while working. Not a high pressure environment.

Cons

No real training program. No support for employees wanting to move up in the company. If you already know the job....you are good to go! If you need to be trained...go somewhere else where the employees count and are considered an asset to the company not just a warm body to fill in the scedule gaps.

Invest in your people. Provide a training program for those interested in advancement. Insist that your GM's invest time in hourly and management employees looking to advance their careers. Tell your GM's to be interested in helping everyone, not just the pretty young girls. I currently work for another company and God has blessed me with a very good career where I am positively impacting the growth of my new company. With a little effort I would probably have stayed with your company.

Ok place to work no job security, the bottom line is most important

Current Employee - Certified Food Server Trainer in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Food Server Trainer in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

reasonable prices, cool promotions that bring in customers

Cons

asking customers to contribute to charities, people get this enough in other aspects of life.

Consider how price increases affect the servers and ask the people interacting with the public on advice before implementing something for the serve staff to do.

Not bad, but not great.

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time

Pros

Great working environment. The other servers I worked with were friendly and for the most part worked together to get through each shift. Managers could get a little frustrated at times, welcome to working in the food industry.

Cons

Dealing with irate customers who expect everything from you, but offer nothing in return. Tips were usually minimal and expectancy of service was usually pretty high.

Streamline the whole process with better training for those helping the servers.

Unprofessional management

Former Employee - Server

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers
    The work was easy
    Easy to get time off if needed

Cons

Management played favorites to an extreme.
    The amount of side work was insane.

Just because you don't like someone on a personal level doesn't make them bad at their jobs. If someone is a hard worker, good at what they do, and dependable then they deserve to be treated like it.