Permanent General Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
18 reviews filtered by
2.7
Randy Parker

1. I always enjoyed getting up and going to work and giving my best to this company. You wanted to give your all for my sup

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at Permanent General

Pros

Benefits and it felt like a family

Cons

Can't think of anything that was a con.

Never let a good employee go.

2. Disappointing

Former Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Permanent General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, co-workers are good people, perks are available in an attempt to keep employee morale at a decent level.

Cons

Upper management makes decisions without relevant facts

Talk to your employees, focus on training not disciplinary actions.

3. Great work environment

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Permanent General

Pros

Understandable and professional management, organized workforce, etc.

Cons

Can be a high stress job, not equity for everyone.

Better marketing and branding is really needed to grow the company.

Now just a dead end call center

I have been working at Permanent General full-time

Pros

Pay is ok, immediate supervisors and coworkers are great. The benefits are pretty comparable to other companies in the area.

Cons

Things have gone downhill over the past year. Upper management keeps implementing changes that make it harder to sell policies and stress out the agents. Would you want to work ten days in a row without a day off? Someone thinks that's a good idea so now we are.

It doesn't have to be like this, what are you doing?

6. Don't hold your breath

Current Employee - Claims in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Claims in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Permanent General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are in the same sinking ship as you.
    They try to not make you work weekends, but workload kinda kills that.
    Benefits are ok, though the company 401k match doesn't go into 100% effect until 10 years, 5 for 50%.

Cons

Don't ever work at your best, you will not be rewarded for it and you will always be expected to be at those levels. Other people on the team can perform far below you, with no ramifications. People pass the buck on their workload.

Internal promotion is a joke, you will not be interviewed if you meet the requirements. Job promotion revolves around an external circle joke of who you know, all the way up the ladder.

You'll be force fed time after time again that pay and compensation is on par with other "nonstandard" insurance companies, but in reality you're bottom of the barrel, with bottom of the barrel customers. As someone else mentioned, United Way is rammed down your throat to always contribute, when you're surviving paycheck to paycheck.

Technology is severely outdated, training is nonexistent. You'll have things figured out on your own by the time any training is offered.

Hold onto your pants until American Family moves all the jobs to one of their branches.

Feel like a hamster running on a treadmill, knowing at the end I'm totally expendable just like everyone else.

I have been working at Permanent General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The health care benefits and vacation time are on par with other companies. The people in human resources explain the benefits.

Cons

The office culture is built on favorites, better be one and work overtime with no pay to get to the next level. They will hound you to donate to the United Way, but can never quite doing anything for you without a catch of some kind. There is no work-life balance. A lot of adjusters work on the weekends in the office or bring home a laptop computer. No chance at real personal growth. Training comes after being given a full claims load. The only company value is to write policies in as many states as possible.

Stop throwing new (yet they have a lot of experience from other companies) adjusters into the fire, and then a month later throw them in useless training classes for a week. If your company value is to write in as many states as possible, employ enough adjusters to handle the work so they are not working overtime for no pay. Most of all, eliminate your obsession with metrics and the hunt group phone system because it is harming adjusters who are held accountable as well for their own work and everyone else's. And for once, have a heart. We're human beings doing the best we can, we're not just some silly statistic on yet another sillier spread sheet to show the shareholders all is fine and dandy.

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Claims in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Claims in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Permanent General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, bonuses, work independence

Cons

Unprofessional work environment with bad attitudes, lack of strategic and product direction, cronyism rampant and obvious, extremely "cheap" on capital assets like offices and computers.

Metrics do not apply to everything as a measure of success. Quit hiring outside and promote from within FIRST. Make your Product and Marketing a priority. Take risks instead of paying everything.

Keep your head down and work...

I have been working at Permanent General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with, everyone is in the same boat...to hurry

Cons

Too much work for one person, systems are outdated and too many processes to get one thing done. Not efficient

Get away from the "good ole' boys" day and update your systems and process. The more efficient we the more we can get done.

10. Great opportunity for growth.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Permanent General full-time

Pros

Great employees to work with and plenty of autonomy.

Cons

Pay is on the low side.

Offer more incentives for performance.

11. It is everything YOU Make of it

Current Employee - Service in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Service in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Permanent General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at The General for several years now and this is the best company I have ever worked for. Yes... it has its ups and downs and somethings can be difficult or the customers can be extremely frustrating -- but isn't that everywhere??? The people that complain about this place are the ones that don't work hard and want to find excuses for every little thing. Some work items are a little strict but nowhere near as strict as other places. Overall this company is relaxed, caring and even fun - you just have to have a decent head on your shoulders, use common sense, show up and put some effort into your work and care about your work ethic - I dont think that is anything different from any other job. You can have a comfortable job and excel with this company.

Cons

I can't think of any real Cons with this company - I love it and plan on staying here til retirement....which is a long, long ways away.

Thank you for always looking to give more to the employees - its nice to feel like your company cares about you.