Perot Systems Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

2.9

Michael S. Dell
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work Life balance in some projects; (in 10 reviews)

• Based on the project you are given work from home (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • dell legacy and dell services are differentiated by the senior management (in 6 reviews)

• With the great pay came long hours, and the work would sometimes be stressful (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

No scope for growth. Not ready to take initiative

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Perot Systems

Pros

Good work life balance in the organization

Cons

No scope for growth in the career

Take the issues by the neck. Have a vision

It's a job, not a career. Software as commodity.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Perot Systems

Pros

Perot Systems aka Dell Services, does practically all the IT for Harvard Pilgrim, whose business is very very solid. The pay check will not bounce. There is not much separation between the Harvard Pilgrim people, the Dell people, and the contractors. I was a contractor. The company is very parent friendly, and has a much larger fraction of technical women and technical members of minorities (such as Black and from India) than other places I have worked. Colleagues are very friendly and help one another.

Cons

The commute to Wellesley is stall-and-crawl almost every day. Most people I interacted with were contractors and the change in personnel was rapid and ongoing. It's a job, not a career. Computer software was viewed very much as a commodity. Knowledge of any particular system was not valued. Rules for health insurance are made difficult and complex for no good reason I could determine. If I were a doctor trying to comply with what insurance would support it would drive me nuts. Security was managed as an impediment. People usually were not given the access they needed to do their jobs, for many months and years. The software was archaeic. Windows XP in 2011! The machines locked up multiple times a day, possibly due to some of the disk encryption software. Lots of essential knowledge was never written down. You had to know the right person to ask, and often had to ask them more than once in different ways before they would admit to knowing what you needed to find out.. Since most people expected to be laid off, having exclusive knowledge might save a person's job, but that made it hard on anyone else who needed to know.

Upgrade to a newer version of Windows, or better yet, move entirely to Linux. Solve the problem of PCs that freeze up.

Don't hire someone pretending you want them long term when you only want them short term. Be honest on that.

These people who keep adding security impediments should be forced to have their cell-phone number used all night all year including week-ends and their vacations, to be the on-call person for the problems this impeding causes. When they have been woken up in the middle of the night or interrupted in the middle of a meeting or a thought for the umpteenth time, they might decide that not allowing people the access they need to do their jobs is a bad way to run things. When someone requests access and it is appropriate to give them access, you need to debug the system that gives them access, not bury them in incomprehensible questions. There needs to be a way to appeal to a more senior person when the current level appears unable to understand what access is wanted or how to provide it.

Force the "Center of Excellence" to answer questions with a 2 week time limit. Having the answer 6 months after it is relevant is not a good use of resources and tends to lead to solutions nobody uses.

Reward people for writing down what they know, and not by laying them off.

Rethink employee retention. It is cheaper not to retrain a new person every 3 months. I would only recommend working for your company if someone needed a job for 6 months of less and had other plans after that.

Don't do it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Perot Systems

Pros

Health benefits are competitive; work-life balance is good

Cons

Been here 3 years and no one in the department has received a raise

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fantastic company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Perot Systems

Pros

A compancy that understands that its people are centric to its success!! Wow, in this day and age, that is awesome.

Cons

Like most companies (I think), once you're in the dorr, the compensation/rewards become static and changes very little. However, the culture, environment and people compensate.

Worst experience of my professional career

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Perot Systems

Pros

The campus is nice and conveniently located
    My co-workers were friendly and competent but they were usually overworked and exhausted

Cons

Encouraged to be dishonest with customer
    Far too much work, too many hours, too much travel for one person to do
    Not enough support from management and other departments to do a job we were contractually obligated to complete

The financial success of the company was based on a name and was probably a lot of dumb luck. I hope the Dell purchase improves conditions for some really good people.

It had its financial ups and downs.

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant  in  Canton, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Canton, MA

I worked at Perot Systems

Pros

Good people and working with todays technology.

Cons

They needed more cash flow

They did it and are nows part of Dell

The company has poor communication and finger pointing seems to be more relevant than problem solving.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Perot Systems

Pros

The company offers good opportunities for growth.

Cons

There are better opportunites in the Plano, TX headquarters.

Sr Design Specialist

Former Employee - Senior Design Specialist  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Design Specialist in Plano, TX

I worked at Perot Systems

Pros

Work life balance is great. We have a world class gym on site. The opportunities for various projects which helps one gain experience is great.

Cons

The salary raises is not that constant and great. Perot pays lower than most of its competitors. Their benefits are great though.

Benchmark yourself with other competitors so you can retain great talent. There is so much competiotion out there for outstanding individuals.

It was a great place

Former Employee - Desktop Support Specialist  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Specialist in Boise, ID

I worked at Perot Systems

Pros

I worked as a desktop support for Perot to a local company. I believe my wages were fair and my boss was great.

Cons

I felt that there was zero chance of COL raises or even raises due to performance.

COL raises are always nice. You can't keep paying people the same amount even after working there for a while and providing excellent work. That just makes people leave.

Worked for Perot Systems? Contribute to the Community!