Perry Ellis International

Be The First To
Add Photos

Perry Ellis International Chairman and CEO George Feldenkreis

George Feldenkreis

Pros
  • This is a great place to learn from all aspect of design and production (in 3 reviews)

• great place to learn, you have to wear many hats because of the limited amount of resources (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's sometimes run too mom and pop for such a large organization (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management like the gossip and like to micro manage (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

MOVE ON FAST IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER JOB OPPORTUNITY

Director (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsDecent benefits (not the best) Great place to earn a salary and barely work!!
    Some very good employees (but unhappy)

ConsFalse promises- Owners do not care about their employee and mistreat them- Non existing HR Dept- Person in charge of that Dept or others HR employees only look to the floor when walk around the company. Not even a word of greetings- Company is run by the family (Feldenkreis) and obviously they think they are God! They hire friends regardless if they do or don't what they are doing- Company only care about $$$$ not about quality of their products or designs- Very disconnected upper management- Fridays are expected with fear since is the "firing day"

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company and stop been a disgrace on the textile business. Your reputation is already bad enough!

If you have any other job opportunities, then choose your other option and stay away from this company

Senior Manager/Director (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsNice company name to have on your resume. Nice people around you that try hard to do a good job and try to be dedicated but would like to be appreciated and recognized. Pay level is average. Growth opportunities are average. All depends on the specific office,location and position you are in.

ConsExecutive and top Senior level management do not recognize and appropriately reward your efforts. One Senior VP who had been there since the beginning of the company (30+ years) once said " They never appreciate anything" . You are always considered expendable and there is zero job security. There is no Human Resources department to protect your rights as an employee. Knee-jerk reactions to stock prices which causes lay-offs and reductions in force. Your career is a roller-coaster ride based on very subjective data..

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard work and efforts of your employees. Without them, you could not have your stable of expensive cars, planes and mansions. Get a real HR department. It could have long term benefits to support company growth rather than short-sighted decisions.

Like working in a fish bowl

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Commerce, CA

ProsSteady paycheck and great if you are a hamster who enjoys running full speed in the wheel with no family or friends to get in the way of working non-stop.

ConsMicromanagement and an overall distrust of everyone and their abilities to do their job. Nepotism, and a constant "fire drill"

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a decision, stick with it, and own it no matter what the consequences. And stop pawning off bad decisions on those who didn't make them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Are you looking to have a used car salesman as a boss?

Senior Designer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAs the title suggests, this is a great place to work for a family (Feldenkreis) that couldn't care less about their employees, product quality, or corporate atmosphere. Everyone from the directors to the interns feel the dread when working here so at least you can commiserate with absolutely everyone. But do you want to work in a place like that?

ConsDistrust of employees from the start (they must have been screwed over before because the level of distrust is extreme), extremely underqualified friends and family (Feldenkreis) members are put in high level positions which makes working here look like a day at the DMV, stingy benefits (I have many stories of how they have tried to get out of paying health benefits from their amazing FLORIDA based health insurance, FLORIDA based, absolute lack of quality in fabrics and factories (they have some tie with factories in China that are great at looking at your designs and deciding to send their own designs), absolutely zero brand integrity, etc, etc, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're sinking Original Penguin and doing a disservice to Perry Ellis' name. Sell those two companies and stick to selling Cubavera shirts. Building a brand is not your forte.

Potential many years ago. Soon to be gone.

Executive (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsMany good team members, if they are left to execute on their own. Decent pay, decent discount on many brands. If you have a manager to buffer the ranting and bad decisions and directions of the top execs, you are lucky

ConsCEO, COO, Treasurer run the company like a dictator state. They think they are still in Cuba. Bad decision makers. Prejudice, favoritism, and nepotism run rampant. Raises are given by the top execs, not performance. HR is non existent because it is run by the family. Every decision is made by the family. Shareholders beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Do't listen, think they know everything. Stuck in the 60's.

Railroaded by HR

Retail Planner (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDepending on the team you would be lucky to get a group that is fun and open to ideas for simplicity,as there are many systems to track and gather information from.

ConsHR staff is very disconnected and not helpful in fact they try their best to make matters worse, they do not try to help rectify or give you solutions to rectify instances they past blame rather than hear out the situation, I felt as thou I was just another employee and not a part of a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into processes or put processes in place that makes your employees feel their self worth

Worst company to work with!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearn how to work with stupid management and non existing HR Dept.

ConsSenior managers (owners) are vey volatile, no respect toward good employees. They do not want to hear the truth of anything . Family/ friends members working with the company should be pay a salary to stay home. They are hurting the company!

Advice to Senior ManagementNot worth it to give any advice, Let them sink the company by firing all the good people and keeping only the worst employee.

Worst job of my 30+ yearcareer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was not bad.

ConsSociopaths at the Executive level. Inconsistent application of rules. Abusive perosnalities. I would rate zero if I could.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice becassue people like that do not change.

Not a good place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat team members, friendly co-workers

ConsCEO uses scare tactics to run the company, constantly threatening people's jobs. Very tense environment especially when he's in the office. Pay is not great and there are no bonuses. Little to no advancement from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild up morale and stop threatening employee's livelihoods.

Poor management

Production and Operations Manager (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsBeacuase you work in your own you have the opportunity of learn a lot. Met some excellent people

ConsYou are not recognize for a good job
    HR Dept do not represent the employees but only the owners
    Senior management like the gossip and like to micro manage
    In order to keep your job you must be a puppet on the owners hand. They dont like to hear the true of any situation.
    This is clearly a public company run by family. They hire only their family and friend even if they have no knowledge of the job.
    Security Dept is run by a person that think he is in a concentration camp. They hide cameras all around. E mails are screen as well as phone calls.
    There is no loyalty with the employees that have worked for many eyars. Recently they request for all over 60 years old to leave the company only to hire young, unexperience cheaper labor.,
    Employees are requested to work over 40 hrs hours a week without compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some good people in high position, they should be empower.
    Teach senior managers in how to treat employees with respect
    Do not hire more family friends, they are killing the company

Worked for Perry Ellis International? Contribute to the Community!