Perry Ellis International Reviews

85 reviews filtered by
2.4
Perry Ellis International Chairman and CEO George Feldenkreis
George Feldenkreis

Pros
  • Great place to learn, but definitely move on quickly (in 4 reviews)

• Decent benefits (not the best) Great place to earn a salary and barely work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management refuses to approve hiring of interns, yet more and more development being throw at us (in 5 reviews)

• It's sometimes run too mom and pop for such a large organization (in 3 reviews)

Great opportunity if you make the most of it...broken policies at the core.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some very passionate and talented individuals.

Cons

Upper management is completely impenetrable - also unethical.
    Salary and benefits are not competitive.
    All of the good employees end up leaving for better opportunities.

Advice to Management

It is very obvious that you do not have your employees' best interests in mind. You are slowly but surely losing your best assets - the dedicated employees that help you run and work tirelessly.

2. Great place to work but lots of turn around in the Commerce Office.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

I worked at Perry Ellis International

Pros

great benefits, vacation, 401k, some good employees

Cons

no one last.. either they get laid off or people quit. Too many Cooks in the kitchen. Moral is really bad there.

Advice to Management

quit letting go the all the good employees

Overworked, Underpaid, & Disrespected

I have been working at Perry Ellis International

Pros

- a select few individuals who are genuine and forthcoming with mentoring new employees and are committed to the company success as a whole. I can also name them all on one hand.

Cons

No room for growth. The entire company works in silos, there is minimal communication or direction, and there is a disconnect between upper management and the back bone of the company the worker bees.

Advice to Management

Figure out who you are designing for, is it for a customer? or for your own lazy sales team? Its hard to promote productivity and internal growth among your divisions, when no one knows what the objective is. Time off is limited and frowned upon, work hours are 9+. Human resources department is a joke, minimal help in regard to work and team issues, and completely mishandles any concerns when they deal with upper management.

5. Really like it here so far

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Perry Ellis International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers are very nice and the people i work with are amazing. They are the reason i love my job so much. There are times when we can mess around but we all know when things need to be done. My schedule is pretty flexible too as far as hours go. It's a fun place to work at.

Cons

*It can get so busy its hard to keep up
    *Hours are usually all over
    *got no formal training. Learned from watching other people and learning from other employees

Weird vibe, unclear expectations

Former Contractor - Technical Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Technical Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Perry Ellis International as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

People work 8 hours on the dot, no more, no less. The office is EMPTY by 6:05 PM, but don't you dare walk in later than 9:00 AM. Free coffee. Ample parking.

Cons

People are unfriendly and do not talk to each other, not even to say good morning. You can hold open a door for someone and they will walk right through, ignoring you. I had one--yes, one--person introduce themselves to me and make small talk. Definitely NOT an office for extroverts or warm/friendly people. Despite repeatedly asking how the work I was doing fit into the big picture, my supervisor kept telling me "not to worry." A separate person informed me one of my supervisors was "talking smack" (if you will) about my work quality; when I asked this person how I could improve and correct it, they told me "I already finished redoing everything." Very unhelpful. Not sure what it was I even did wrong. I've been in this industry more than a few years and could not understand how Perry Ellis's process worked or how they got things done on time. The fact that people leave at 6 PM on the dot, yet complain about being "sooooo busy" is a mystery to me (good for work/life balance, at least). My supervisor was fanatical about break times and making sure their employees were not talking among themselves or on their cell phones except during scheduled 10-minute breaks. Interestingly enough, I noticed they had no problem ignoring and not confronting non-performers. I watched other employees text on their phone and sit and stare into the distance and not get reprimanded at all. Seems like if you give them low expectations of your work quality, you can do nothing all day and get away with it. Definitely NOT a results-driven company--they seem more to care about if you're in your seat, in front of your computer, rather than your actual work output.

Advice to Management

Focus more of people's results, rather than work hours logged. You'll see who the performers are, and who is truly wasting your company's time and money. Not sure how to improve the frosty office relations, though.

Uninspired

Former Employee - Technical Designer in Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Designer in Commerce, CA

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are quite a few talented people who work here, and it is possible to make good friends. However, it is likely to bond over general dissatisfaction about the company culture than actual team bonding.

Cons

Job security is non-existent. Entire departments may be dismissed in a day without warning. Overall work atmosphere feels uninspired and does not feel like a creative environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a more refined brand portfolio, don't spread yourself too thin by acquiring too many mediocre or has-been brands. Grow your current product base by promoting talent from within.

Bad but not completely horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since they refuse to hire help or fill positions of those who leave, you are forced to do the job of 3 people and therefore you tend learn quite a bit. The people who do the actual work, the worker bees, are great people to work with.

Cons

Family first - not your family though. Family and friends are put in positions where they have no actual knowledge or education for said position. Board members children given salaries for "jobs" they don't actually do. Money is spent on failed children's attempt at a clothing line. Travel agency are family friends, health insurance company are family friends. At least two SVP and VPs retain their positions because they are family friends even though numerous employees have quit because said higher up is abusive and lacks any real talent or knowledge except doing favors for the family.

This company has lost LOTS of talented people to other companies because they continue to work in what's in their personal best interest and not that of the company.

Advice to Management

Let's people do the jobs they were hired to do. Remember that respected employees are in turn happy employees and will do more for you.

9. Perry Ellis

I have been working at Perry Ellis International

Pros

Easy job to work at.

Cons

There is not room to move up in the company at all.

10. Perry Ellis helped in the development in customer service.

I worked at Perry Ellis International

Pros

Personally the best part of working with this company was its loyal customers.

Cons

The location I was placed had a horrible team and its management team was just as awful.

11. working for the blind

I have been working at Perry Ellis International

Pros

Wonderful Co-workers. Very nice staff.

Cons

No incentives, no ability to grow. All upper management at not going anywheres so there is no one place for anyone to grow. The company is static.