Perry Ellis International

Updated November 20, 2014
2.5

Perry Ellis International Chairman and CEO George Feldenkreis
George Feldenkreis

Pros
  • Great place to learn, but definitely move on quickly (in 4 reviews)

• Decent benefits (not the best) Great place to earn a salary and barely work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management refuses to approve hiring of interns, yet more and more development being throw at us (in 5 reviews)

• It's sometimes run too mom and pop for such a large organization (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Over promise, under deliver.

Former Employee - Sales Planning/Buyer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Planning/Buyer in Miami, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well reputable company to put on resume.

Cons

Over promise, under deliver. Extremely monotonous work. No social interaction in work environment. The most corporate office setting you could imagine, cubicles, clocked work times. Promises of working on big accounts, end up crunching numbers all day.

Create more of a company culture. Everything is robotic.

Everything that's wrong with Corporate America

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady pay check. Health and dental benefits. 401K. Good discount on Perry Ellis products although nothing really interesting to buy but Penguin.

Cons

Toxic environments. The higher ups are frustrated and take out their frustrations on their employees. The people that they hire are not given the opportunity to learn and have the tools they need to grow and do good for the company. They hire you to do the work that they can't do and don't expect you to stay long and they treat you as such. Its an every man for himself situation. Take this job, by all means. But keep looking. This company is not growing or evolving and will eventually sink further into irrelevancy.

None. Carry on....

They were extremely welcoming and warm. My supervisor always kept me busy but always made sure we had fun together!

Former Employee - Fabric R & D Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fabric R & D Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Perry Ellis International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They were easy to work with ,questions were always welcomed and encouraged. You are sure to learn good content . They treat their interns very well ,I did not feel any less than the other team members . Ofcourse even your attitude counts.

Cons

There were some days when I felt absolutely dead at the end of the day with energy to just go home and sleep.

Constantly changing things....

Current Employee - Designer in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Perry Ellis International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Was able to work closely with in house design staff.

Cons

Too many changes and had no clear brand direction.

Believe in what you trying to accomplish and not throw people under the bus.

Overall worst experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros would be that you have a decent job in the fashion industry in Miami.

Cons

No company values lead to a high turnover. Every single person I worked with was so unhappy with there job the place was "toxic" there is no reward or career path. If you are thinking of appying or accepting an offer I would think about looking for other options.
    I was lead to think that they like to promote from within but its not true.. Not one person in all my several years from my dept was promoted or promoted to another dept. VERY political and if you are not part of the FAMILY nothing can come out of a career here it would just be a deadend JOB with no yearly % increase (even though they say you get a yearly increase when hired).

Maybe if you valued the hard working overtime employees going above and beyond the recources provided people would stay. Thats why the company is in a finiacial rollercoaster.

Don't deny a raise and then when the person quits thats when you counter offer..

Not for creatives

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefit and stability, most of the people are good to work with.

Cons

It's great if you like to work with a lot of rules and guidelines, not for creatives. Very Sales and Merchant driven.

Think outside the box, do not only rely on reports and numbers. Take a moment to see reality and trust your team.

Great learning experience within a multimillion dollar company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Perry Ellis International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Abundant growth opportunities
    - Entertaining events and workshops for the entire office hosted on a regular basis
    - Welcoming HR staff does well to train and prepare each employee during the on-boarding process

Cons

- Not much interaction between departments
    - Personality differences sometimes make for confrontational situations
    - Since the company is so large, it's hard to gain the attention and respect of higher ups

Original Penguin is a great company to work with if you don't care to move up.

Former Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part about working at The Original Penguin was the manager. Great person and great management skills. The employees all got along which was another plus. Promotions were great which drove consumers into the store.

Cons

Challenges were the false promises from the company of bonuses. The company orients everything around driving sales and to do so they make everything a game. Which every employee reaches the goal wins a certain amount of money which never was given to us.

From what I hear all the upper management has been removed and all the unnecessary drama has disappeared which was definitely what was needed for the company.

MOVE ON FAST IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER JOB OPPORTUNITY

Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits (not the best) Great place to earn a salary and barely work!!
    Some very good employees (but unhappy)

Cons

False promises- Owners do not care about their employee and mistreat them- Non existing HR Dept- Person in charge of that Dept or others HR employees only look to the floor when walk around the company. Not even a word of greetings- Company is run by the family (Feldenkreis) and obviously they think they are God! They hire friends regardless if they do or don't what they are doing- Company only care about $$$$ not about quality of their products or designs- Very disconnected upper management- Fridays are expected with fear since is the "firing day"

Sell the company and stop been a disgrace on the textile business. Your reputation is already bad enough!

Good Luck

Former Employee - Merchandising in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandising in New York, NY

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They seem to hire qualified people with integrity and a strong work ethic. Co-workers were the best part of the job.

Cons

Owners do not care about their employees and treat them like they are disposable.

Treat your employees better and perhaps that would also reflect in your companies success.