Perseus Books Group

Perseus Books Group Reviews in New York City, NY

2.8

David Steinberger

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great books, colleagues, esprit de corps....and stringent budgets and growing pains

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Perseus Books Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I joined Perseus after many years at other houses, and I think a lot of people here posting disgruntled comments about "politics" and lack of opportunity, must not have a lot of experience elsewhere! I've seen many employees here grow from entry level assistants to become department heads, change departments and divisions, create their own jobs, acquire new skills, and be supported by their managers and colleagues in doing so. Relative to other companies the Perseus culture is fairly 'flat' in terms of being non-heirarchical and informal and collegial. The company is however made up of several different companies, and several different divisions, in several different locaitons, and also serves hundreds of client publishers, so I guess some people may have had different experiences in different sub-cultures. I myself have grown enormously in my job and have had wonderful mentors who encouraged me to learn and to take more and more responsibility and to learn and try new things. Innovative thinking and doing is encouraged here. And I love my colleagues-- smart, hard-working, unpretentious, collegial, devoted book people who value things other than their own career ambitions, and who try to respect each other and have a good time working together.

Cons

Perseus is very leanly staffed and has vey lean budgets. People below the corporate management level "get ahead' usually by doing more than one job, being their own assistant, working 50-60 hour weeks, and accepting that more work does not necessarily mean they will get more pay or any other external reward. Growth can be limited by the fact that there is simply no one to delegate to so you still have to do what you used to do, even when you are also doing something new . Promotions are rare and raises are skimpy, at least for the people who actually execute the quotidian tasks of editing, producing, marketing, selling, and distributing books. Systems are still a cumbersome patchwork since Perseus was borne of a merger of many different publishers and distribution companies. And there can be dysfunctional cultural divides and misunderstandings between publishers, clients, IT, production, the warehouse, customer service, etc. which are not helped by the absence of formal training programs, systems manuals, geographic splits and lack of communications involving ALL parties impacted by decisions, programs, and changes.

Perseus has a great culture, and is growing in smart ways to support the wonderful work of independent publishers. But while systems and tools are improving, work loads are rising while staff to handle it doesn't; and salaries & opportunities are static-to-worse over the last 3 years. People here used to be more positively engaged and less beleaguered and stressed and burnt out. Without some re-investment in re-energizing the people who do the work, will the culture be so great and employees so devoted next year or the year after?

Great place to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Perseus Books Group

Pros

The people here were great - the environment is supportive and is condusive to learning.

Cons

Perseus is a company that has grown a lot without the proper systems and procedures to accompany the growth. With HR in Jackson, various databases and cut costs, career growth depends more on luck than ability.

A real HR system would help grow and retain talent.

Poor management and no room for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Perseus Books Group

Pros

Flexible working hours and summer hours from Memorial Day - Labor Day weekend.

Cons

PBG hires an excessive number of consultants that pad their bills by shuffling papers and pretending to work.
    Contradicting employees policies - on some departments employees can take up to 3 weeks vacation at a time while others can only go on vacation for one week at a time.
    Absolutely no room for growth, even when the employee expresses a desire to grow with the company.

Value your hard working employees and compensate them for the hard work and dedication they put in day in and day out.

Avoid if you can

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Perseus Books Group

Pros

Some very nice, smart, and interesting people, and some of the books are good. Good work-life balance--summer Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Cons

Much of the actual workload falls on poorly-paid junior employees who are treated very poorly here. There is a revolving door for good reason. There is no room for advancement. The office is usually completely silent, which is an indicator of the isolation in which everyone works. This is a workplace best avoided, tough in this economy, but true nonetheless.

Not everyone is cut out manage others, even if they may be very good at the substantive part of the job. Don't underestimate the cost of keeping bad managers in management positions.