Pershing Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
2.8

Ron DeCicco

Pros
  • Work life balance, Environment ,Nature of Job (in 10 reviews)

• Great Place to work & Less Pressure to work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Unrealistic expectations, no work life balance and poor leadership (in 6 reviews)

• Congratulations to Pershing senior management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Slow movement up

Former Employee - Customer Processing Associate in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Processing Associate in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Pershing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy Job, 9 to 5 work hours.

Cons

Salaries are a mystery... Growth is slow

Pay your employees

Great people, but too much focus on short-term, tactical efforts.

I worked at Pershing full-time

Pros

I met and worked with some great people during my time at Pershing. Also had the opportunity to work on varied and interesting projects. Great transparency and communication from C-level down thru Sr. Management

Cons

Very tactically focused. Difficult to drive change and innovation.

Pershing, a Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Pershing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pershing offers extensive and ongoing training as well as the opportunity to grow outside of your area of hire. Pershing is an excellent place to work for the high achiever looking to be recognized for a job well done. Diligent and consistent work ethic will be awarded with fair compensation and bonus levels. If you are a steady performer and not looking for raises every year that is fine as well. Pershing also values employees who are committed to producing for the firm and are willing to commit to their daily processing areas as long as the customer is held as the number one priority.

Cons

As is customary with most financial firms your work and life balance will likely degrade as your compensation and status within the firm increase. Be prepared to be unsettled in your role if your are not consistently over achieving as the firm is in the process of shipping jobs overseas.

In the midst of outsourcing, do more to assure top performers of their value to the firm. Compensation is not always required, however reassurance in job security may go a long way.

Beyond Challenging

Former Employee - Vice President - Development Manager in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President - Development Manager in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at Pershing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, very challenging work, very fast pace, fair compensation.

Cons

Due to continual "downsizing" and "outsourcing" the workload has really become unrealistic on both the business and technology teams. Being able to "do more with less" eventually hits a wall and it becomes very difficult to grow new business, properly attend to new customers, and also meet the regulatory deadline crunches.

Your people are your greatest assets. Treat them as you would treat your customers - give them the tools and resources to do their job.

20th Century Technology, Hierarchy, Process and People

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Pershing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Industry Leader, Stable Parent Company, Professional Setting, Professional Staff, Good Training, Challenging Work

Cons

Antiquated Organizational Hierarchy, Bloated Process Bureaucracy, Entrenched Career Incumbents, Acute Risk-adversion, Unimaginative and Uninspiring Ethos

Execute on the promise of a more agile and innovative ‘technology’ organization. Take action to deliver on the strategy set-forth in town halls and external speeches. The senior directors directly below the C-levels are mostly aging 'lifers' who have never worked outside the company or have never had to compete in an innovative environment. My observation is that most of the directors have never initiated and executed new solutions to meet new business problems and opportunities (i.e. - Innovation). They are good, however, at requiring staff to create endless one-off administrative spreadsheets, paper-based forms, un-needed project artifacts, arbitrary directives, circular sign-off requirements and defending the "we don't do that here" mantra. In addition to cleaning the obsolescence at the directorship level, liberate your IT department to innovate. Not just with the obligatory ‘innovation’ contests, look to create of culture of innovation. Take a page from silicon valley based companies and flatten the IT org structure, adopt agile software processes, eliminate needless middle-men and paperwork, empower and reward the creators of the technology. Take steps to mold the culture into a 'real' technology company --for example relax the Jos. A. Bank attire for IT staff and upgrade the drab-grey, 1970’s cubies equipped with a single 17” inch monitor with twenty-first century workstations, collaboration tools, eWhiteboards, webcams, etc.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Client Service in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Client Service in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Pershing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salaries for business roles

Cons

Too few resources chasing too much work

Live within your means and do right by your clients.

Customer Processing Associate

I have been working at Pershing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours and awesome coworkers!

Cons

Limited growth and advancement opportunities and weak raises

Great place to work if you just want to show up and get payed.

I have been working at Pershing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is easy after a year and low stress. Low work hours.

Cons

Slow growth and little to no raises/bonuses.

Have some level of advancement path for those who want to work hard and advance there careers.

Nothing is good about Pershing/BNY Mellon

I worked at Pershing

Pros

Paychecks did not bounce
    Did not have to do any work

Cons

Where to start...
    When our company was bought by Pershing and then smashed together with our competitor we all felt a little sick. Its been 3 years later and the company is still not integrated. Senior leadership shut down all development, started outsourcing all of its technologies and refused to commit to any major decision. After about a year our clients started to complain so in order to keep the company running we had to cut all of our pricing significantly. This meant horrible raises and bonuses for years. Even though BNY Mellon was making billions of dollars in profit per quarter we kept getting emails saying that "times were tough" and that raises would be cut again.

The technology was a joke, especially considering we were supposedly a "technology" company. Our infrastructure was embarrassing. Tech support was ridiculous and BNY made it very clear that it was not changing anything anytime soon.

The company is an utter failure and all of the senior leadership should be fired. The technology team is filled with people that know nothing about technology. The COO (initials TM) is despised by everything she works with, and with good reason. I refused to work with her because of the way that she talked to me and my coworkers.

Its a shame because companies like this have put other companies out of business, not because it offers a decent product but rather that it has the backing of a mammoth of a company (BNY). Again, this merged company failed. Completely failed.

I left the company about 2 years after Pershing acquired us. It did not take us long to realize that it was about to get a lot worse after the acquisition. At this point all of the people that have any skills have left. I understand that 1 of our 4 remaining presidents is resigning. Instead of walking away with who knows how much money in severance, he should be walked around the office so all 300 people can say, to his face, how much working for him has been a waste of a career.

Its a shame. As a small business we were successful and happy. This is what happens when a huge bank takes over. They should be ashamed of themselves. One moment that I will never forget was the day that we got an email from the CEO asking that we each donate to the BNY Super Pack. He says it was important that the government did not do anything that would harm financial institutions in any way. I'm one of those crazy people that can't stand the power that big banks have. The truth is that if Pershing would go away as a company the world would be better off. The employees would be happier elsewhere and the clients would absolutely be better off.

Congratulations to Pershing senior management. You've accomplished nothing except make 300 people miserable. You ruined 2 successful companies and you left the company in such bad shape that I'm not sure how it will recover.

Find another career

Worst company in Wall Street

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Pershing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good commute
    Good work from home facility
    Good to relax if you dont want to do any work.

Cons

Full of politics
    You can advance only if your manager likes you.
    HR is a big joke.
    Pathetic technology - i bet you won't get a job outside.
    Too many lifers in the company who doesn't let anybody to work

God Bless Pershing