Pervasive Software

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pervasive Software President, CEO, and Director John E. Farr

John E. Farr

Great family culture prior to 2004 mngt change.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe family culture was great, lots of growth opportunities during the good times. Made a lot of money on stock options over several years.

ConsThe 2004 management change was a change for the worse. More recent change was good - John Farr was an excellent CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice.

sometimes good

Engineering Consultant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat people, great working atmosphere. Casual dress code. Flexible working schedule.

Conslack of training process, the internal training does not tailored to what we would deal with everyday on a project.
    Very high turn over rate due to inefficient project scope, project manage time line.
    Sometimes you can feel like you are stuck at this position and no advancement opportunity

Hopefully Actian changes the Pervasive culture because it's toxic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally great people work at Pervasive, but those great people are not running the company. The company hit a wall because they reward unfairly (it's about who you know not about how good you are at your job) and their revenue has been meager for a while.

If you know the right people then this job will work until you get a new manager (it will happen many times here) who knows everything about your job even though they have no background in your position or management and decide that you don't fit.

It's pretty much a roller coaster ride driven by machismo and greed.

ConsHIGH turnover, especially in Integration and IT, but pretty much all divisions. The divisions are not collaborative and tend to compete against each other more than actual competitors. They don't promote fairly - if you're not in sales and a top notch developer, forget about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management starts at the top! Don't just promote - train them to be managers AND evaluate them yearly to ensure they are growing into a good manager. Promoting someone to management doesn't stop there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great place to work....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some good and very smart people, biggest pro by far is that there are some excellent co-workers to work with and learn from, benefits are pretty good too.

ConsAvoid the integration division, bad experience overall there... I'd agree with many of the negatives posted here in other reviews.

Great place to work!

Account Executive (Former Employee)

Pros1.) Great culture
    2.) BEST team of people to work with!
    3.) Great management team-always an open door and willing to help
    4.) Lots of room for career growth and promotions-Management provides guidance, and feedback, while helping you achieve the career goals you set for yourself
    5.) Professional development options- Pervasive invests in their employee’s and encourages the teams to attend educational and professional training programs
    6.) Great work/life balance
    7.) Great benefits
    ***You get out, what you put in. If you work hard, you will be successful

ConsInternal training needs improvement
    Communication between different divisions needs improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the people who work hard, have a good attitude, and are a team player.

Jump ship!

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsIf you want to get into software - IE gain experience to go elsewhere - this is a good first stop.

ConsCons are covered in extreme detail on this site - most are very true. Consider yourself warned.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat product, but a fundamental change is needed.

Solid Management Style and Good Supportive Atmosphere

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDaily 10 minute check-up on progress of the assignments on each member of the QA group.
    Accessibility of my Supervisor, when I have question and concerns about my assignment.
    Helpfulness of all the employees

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Love this company

Customer Success Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat management, great partner focus, excellent job of enabling you to do your job and an excellent work life balance

ConsTraining programs have been lacking in the past - this is something that has changed drastically as of late however. They have implemented new hire trainings that are most effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue in the Partner focus and with Customer Centric sales.

Don't wo

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDecent benefits and some great co- workers.

ConsToo many to list. Don't work here. Especially in the Integration Division.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet someone to run the Integration Division who actually cares about employees (and not just the male ones.)

A common direction and shared goal please.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVast amounts of technilogical learning possible
    Insight into other industries (non-technology sector focused)
    Career networking possiblies with other companies
    Benefits not too bad for company size
    Physical employee resources kept up to date with latest technologies

ConsBusiness unit needs not evenly balanced
    Learn to say no, not everything needs to be a yes
    Train all employees properly on what/how/why of their role and the proper methods to perform their individual duties
    Ethics needs to be instilled at management level and transmitted to contributors
    Tends to be more focused on numbers than the people.
    Make commitments that make sense for the growth of the company beyond a number focus

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of the employees who cause more harm than good, keep the valued employees who repeatedly put 110%+ effort into the company and strive on a daily basis to improve the company, the products made, and the customer experience.

Worked for Pervasive Software? Contribute to the Community!