Pet Food Express Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

3.4

Michael Levy & Mark Witriol

Compassionate company who cares, often misguided

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Pet Food Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working here is great, you get to meet many amazing people who are passionate about their pets. Generally, my co workers were great as well.

Cons

Management can be out of touch, and often don't do their fair share of the work. Yes, their job is to manage, but when many of them are upstairs playing on the computer while pretending to be productive, it can be frustrating and trying at times.

Senior management, stop making it extremely difficult to transition from sales associate to lead or assistant manager. It's ridiculous. Many of the managers that you hire don't reflect the values of your company. Hire someone who is enthusiastic and will happily work for the terrible pay. Many of your sales associates also starve working for you. Remember who is increasing your bottom line on a daily basis. Many of them go above and beyond what you pay them for, while your managers are in their offices playing on the computer.

Pet Food is a very great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Pet Food Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are not that many retail employers who pay over min wage, this company does.

Cons

The turn over can be high because the lack of management experience hiring good employees.

Great company to work for, wish compensation was higher.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Pet Food Express full-time

Pros

The company is very people oriented. Every level of employee can talk to the owners any time they want and everyone is made to feel like they have value. You can bring your pet to work. Great discount program. Staff is very well trained.

Cons

At the store level wage compensations rise as you are promoted to the level of store manager. Area manager and higher positions do not follow this same structure, and sometimes result in pay decreases. Insurance is great for the employee, very expensive for dependents/, partners, and family members.

Re-evaluation of compensation for higher positions and insurance premiums for non-employees could greatly increase moral of some employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

These guys are doing it right

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Pet Food Express full-time

Pros

It's not just about how much money they can make, this company is all about helping animals. The owners and upper mgmnt regularly visit all of their stores and the COO knows the name of practically every employee. They make a huge effort to educate the employees working in the stores about the products they sell. They also throw a Holiday Party that is off the hook.

Cons

Working in retail is not easy. Long 8 hour shifts where you are on your feet the whole time, running around a store, lifting heavy 40 lb bags of cat litter, trying to satisfy the customer who can not be satisfied... it can be tough at times. But such is life.

Very low pay for the hours and effort put into a management position.

I worked at Pet Food Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great products. Not bad if you don't need to support yourself and want to work in a nice environment and interact with and discuss pets.

Cons

Just not a living wage for the areas in which their stores operate.

i left after a few months

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fremont, CA

I worked at Pet Food Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Making friends at work and helping customers find everything they need for their new pets.

Cons

Managment acts like they care. They really don't.

step up and work with your employees. Don't just hide in the office and do paperwork all day.

Lack of support from management makes this place a nightmare

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Pet Food Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

* VERY rewarding. Usual customers are appreciative of all your help, as well as new faces who have never been met with exceeding customer service in a pet store
    * Great bonuses... adds towards your paycheck!
    * Amazing discounts
    * Extensive training to help you more knowledgeable
    * You get to work with pets all day!
    * Have a strong trust base with your customers

Cons

* Be ready to get down and dirty... literally. Cleaning up animal waste and the pet washes can be gross
    * Non-flexible work schedules. Often had times where schedules were changed without any notice.
    * LOTS of manual labor, especially if you're a sales associate. Managers do not do as much heavy lifting
    * Mostly female oriented... resulting in lots of gossip
    * This company is very into your personal life to the point where it is almost offensive

* Listen to your feedback. The sales associates always reflect on the feedback we are given, but the management team has barely made any progress
    * STOP CHANGING THE SCHEDULE IF YOU CANNOT PERSONALLY TELL THE EMPLOYEES ABOUT THEM. Many have been late because of this
    * Acknowledge your team and how much they do for the store
    * If you want the sales associates to be more "happy," be happy yourself. Too much negative energy

Best job of my life (so far)!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Pet Food Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and there's always something to do. You learn a lot on the job about things important to both retail jobs in general, and pet health.

Cons

It can take a while to learn all of the finer details of working this job. They're very strict about staying on task and being honest, but that's a good thing.

Great place to work if you only have dogs or cats.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pet Food Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome employee discount, chances to meet lots of cool dogs and thier owners. Promotions can come easily, if the right person likes you. Flexible schedules, hourly plus bonuses. Free pet washes for employees.

Cons

Promoting people just because they are liked by management even though they are grossly un-qualified for the position they are applying to. Do as I say not as I do mentailty. Very poor medical benefits package. The people who should be promoted are never promoted and often end up leaving for better paying more fullfilling jobs. Constantly changing company policy. Upper mangement not on the same page. Looks for employees who don't care about pay or benefits, most employess including management upper and lower does not understand the pay system and how they are getting paid. Store managers are not required to do P&L, and have know idea what they are this includes general managers.

Get on the same page, hire people based on thier exp. & merit not just because you enjoy like them, or "they give you a good feeling" as one District manager stated. Listen to your employees they have good ideas and finally get better benefits some of us a family member who is not four legged. Teach everyone how they earn they pay checks. Lower your prices are you will continue to lose customers, raising prices because you are losing customers is not good business.

A horrible job!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Pet Food Express

Pros

Some of the co-worker were ok. And they help with animals that are in need of some help. Did I mention my co-workers?

Cons

The entire company is horrible. The pay is horrible. I worked here a long time, I was a loyal employee that was shown the door for trying to give feed back to managers. The managers. GM, DM do not care about the employee they hire. At all. You are just a body, and remember you are replaceable at any moment. Some of the people are brownosers and backstabbers so be careful what you say to people. They promote from within, but you gotta be willing to kiss butt to get ahead. Oh, and they don't give raises.. .20 cents is not a raise when you are working for slave wages. Plus, the upper management is always going on vacation, then they come and tell you about it, while I haven't been able to afford that in 5 years. Find other work.

Listen to you employees, not just managers. The sales associates hate working here. Why? Because you treat them like kids and the pay is an embarrassment. How can you raise prices every Friday, and not kick some of that extra money down to employees? Stop being greedy, and back your employees not the customers. They aren't always right. You just want more money. Mark and Michael need to spend more time in the store and WORK in the stores, because they are out of touch. I had the owner come in ( Michael ) and not even say hello to me or shake my hand. Oh, $5 bucks is not enough to buy lunch in the Bay Area or anywhere for that matter. Stop making employee have meeting on OFF DAYS. Please post this review...people need to be warned before they make a huge mistake. Thank you Glassdoor.

Worked for Pet Food Express? Contribute to the Community!