Pet Supermarket

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles E. West Jr.

Pros:
  • "Great co-workers and managers, flexibility, seeing different breed of dogs and sometimes the customers"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Good pay, customers are regular, it's like a family environment at the store level"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Huge store manager bonuses are earned on the back of minimum wage employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Unless you're in tight with management or upper management you get no respect"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible management, upper management and they could care less about the animals

Third Key (Former Employee)
Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Pet Supermarket full-time for less than a year

ProsCustomers are great and the animals are so sweet

ConsUnless you're in tight with management or upper management you get no respect. I was a 3rdkey and was"stepping on toes" when I went to my district manager after policies by a store manager were totally disregarded and cases of canned dog food were thrown on top of bags, crushing it. Also after working hours that did not coincide with my 8 year old daughters schedule (I'm a single mom and was told when I was hired I would be off on everyother weekend and evenings that I had her) I was told they couldn't change my hours, but students schedules' were worked around

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horses and pay attention to your employees

Employee Retention Is Not A Priority

Store Manager (Former Employee)
North Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pet Supermarket full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked for this company for four years and moved my way up through the ranks to management rather quickly. My hard work was recognized.

ConsThe pay is horrible for the amount of work you have to do on any level. By it being a smaller company, a lot of times they lack consistency with policies and it becomes a situation where it's all about who you know. The communication between the corporate office and the stores are horrible. The new DM's lack a lot of structure and consistency. The DM's are very critical and do very little to make a difference if there is an issue. Everyone in this company is replaceable no matter how many years you put in, they'll replace you and make up a policy to justify it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your employees. Increase the wages so that more qualified employees can be hired.

Overworked and underpaid

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pet Supermarket full-time for more than a year

ProsGained a lot of friends (coworkers and customers), learned a lot about nutrition, didn't have to work out ever again

ConsForced to constantly harass customers about more and more items just to meet goal, not paid enough for the amount of work, really high tensions between management and staff, customers get mad when we follow policies and then corporate gets mad when the customer calls and goes against policy just to make a return customer undermining associates that are just trying to follow the rules, expected to get everything done in an 8 hour shift (cleaning rotation, customer service, sanitation of cages, truck, etc) and when it's not done, being belittled usually in front of customers

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your associates more. Don't put so much pressure to make a sale but more on taking care of the customer. Realize that we can't do everything and help out more. Put more effort to educate people not stick them with a $30 10 year commitment rabbit just because it'll make a buck.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Other reviews are right!

Key Holder (Former Employee)
Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Pet Supermarket full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI enjoyed meeting some really nice people who I still keep in contact after leaving this company. Was an 'okay' job while being in school. Free dog food, discount on product.

ConsI'm not sure where to start this..... having worked for Pet Supermarket for over 7 years you see a very high turnover in store management, they like to hire outside of the company, these people they hire have no idea about the company or animals.

If you try to follow corporate policy the customer will be angry and call... corporate then calls and wonders why the customer is upset and allows the customer to go around the policy!

Overall.... I would only recommend this job if there absolutely isn't anything else available.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis isn't high school anymore.... oh wait your mentality is because that is all this job attracts... immature adults.

Just about the worst company to work for in the pet industry

I have been working at Pet Supermarket full-time

ProsYou make friends with co-workers and customers and their pets.

Consover worked underpaid no respect from upper management from dm level and up.You might as well show us all the open positions at one time instead of changing it every week we already realize how bad it is.might as well be truthful about it, after all it is deceptive by design.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look around in the real world and get a grasp as to why your employees and management are leaving in droves. You really need to replace your HR department.

Overworked and underpaid

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Pet Supermarket full-time for more than a year

ProsLearned a lot about nutrition, and animal care, made friends out of returning customers.

ConsStressful environment, tension between management and staff, unreasonable health insurance plans, poor pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about caring more for the welfare of employees and customers and less about corporate greed, the pay rate for the amount of work we do is unreasonable and barely enough to cover basic needs. Stop treating customers like a number, the customer service provided through corporate in Sunrise Florida is a joke. They are rude and uncaring and push customers away.

Highschool for adults

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Pet Supermarket full-time for less than a year

ProsI learned things I needed to know about myself from the pi test. working with the public is also good because you get to learn whats in and what people are buying at that time

ConsI was promised by the assistant manager that it would be no problem to advance in this company. that's what drew me in and 9 months later I was still a sales associate, working for one of the worst wages ive ever worked for. it wouldn't be a problem cleaning animal messes and dealing with customers that are pissed about why their animals are not getting better, while no taking them to the vet, if you could at leat make 9.00 an hr. as soon as I got into the store things changed. the management vetoed everything I to suggested for the betterment of the company and I don't know but I felt there was this cliché of high school bullies mentality thing happening there. Im an adult and act as follows they should have too.

Advice to Senior Managementthe personal bond that the managers have with some of their staff is ridiculous and in my opinion it really turns new employees away. Before I left the company I documented at least 20+ cases of this problem in effect and I tried to voice these concerns with my manager. the manager seemed like she took it but then became very defensive, but at the same time attacking me and saying that she had a laundry list of my faults. I asked her to show me these detailed accounts like I had, she couldn't. not very professional. im no peach but if you were stuck in a position where you felt like you were being swept under the rug for someone that had a more personal connection to your manager and was just a horrible worker wouldn't you try to solve the problem? I debated for 4 months before I addressed this and it killed me to do it but It also made me realize that petsupermarket was not right for me.

start with the worst company to know the better companies when you see them.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
Winter Park, FL

I worked at Pet Supermarket full-time for more than a year

Proscustomer relations tend to be good.

Consthey offer the worst benefits i've ever seen, they are below the standard of pay for what is required youre hired on at seven fifty regardless of past work, the management never listens to what pt or ft workers have to say unless your management which is also impossible to get into unless you have some kind of friend relationship outside of work. they promote butt kissers over hard workers, if you show any type of disagreement toward anything they do they will hate you and try vigorously to get you fired by making everyday hell. oh and if you are PT dont expect to get another job on the side cause your are expected to be fully open availability and they wont work with you on time schedules if you do get a side job. this is not just at my store its at several over the orlando areas.

Advice to Senior Managementget new management tactics, your staff does not need you, you need your staff. if it wasn't for the staff you would not have a job.

Has its ups and downs

I have been working at Pet Supermarket

ProsHelping pets, helping people with their pets, learn a lot about a variety of subjects

ConsDealing with stubborn people, shoppers reports, stress from management's visits, very stressful, high demand placed on employees, company sets you up to fail and rarely gives any thanks for jobs well done

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more

Not for animal lovers

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pet Supermarket full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to work with animals and some nice customers. There is an employee discount.

ConsVery low standards for animal care, low pay, bad management at high levels. They claim to care about pets but they order animals from mill breeder sunpet, which often sends us sick, deformed or dying animals. They never see a vet. Even the sm doesn't have the power to change anything, the dm has all the power. Upper (DM and above) management is horrible to employyes and the entire work environment is controlling and demanding. My dm doesn't use our names when barking orders despite the tags we wear. I don't think we are people to him.

This is a high-pressure sales job at the minimum wage. You have script with customers or you will be punished. Don't expect decent raises or promotions. They seem to prefer hiring management from outside the company. The store is always understaffed due to high turnover so part-time employees are constantly working full-time hours without benefits. Managers (salary) are expected to work 5-15 hours over the40 they are paid for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people and your animals like living beings.

Worked for Pet Supermarket? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pet Supermarket reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pet Supermarket CEO Charles E. West Jr. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Pet Supermarket employees.