Pet Supermarket

Updated July 25, 2014
Updated July 25, 2014

2.4

Charles E. West Jr.

Pros
  • Gained a lot of friends (coworkers and customers), learned a lot about nutrition, didn't have to work out ever again (in 4 reviews)

• Free dog food, discount on product (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're in tight with management or upper management you get no respect (in 8 reviews)

• Huge store manager bonuses are earned on the back of minimum wage employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Team enviroment.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in South Lake Tahoe, CA

Pros

Pet Supermarket likes to promote from within. I like making sure that customers are well educated on caring for their current pets or new additions. There are lots of incentives like a monthly bonus if you meet your stores goals. They provide full training. Delivery day is like Christmas.

Cons

Living in a small town, you see everyone on a regular basis. Needs to reduce the turnover rate. Training for sales associates is inconsistent.

Please schedule new hires around one specific training manager. I feel like each new hire is getting trained differently and it's causing operational problems. We have a great team, just needs some polishing.

Pet Supermarket

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

-Some customers that are really great
    -Fantastic "feeding" program

Cons

-Pretty large turnover, which results in some part time employees working over 30 hours a week.
    -No training, or if there is it is very minimal.
    -Doesn't matter if an employee messes up constantly, senior management will even personally let people get away with things.
    -Horrible coupon policy that many customers are very unhappy with.
    -Management will constantly keep employees late, and then threaten to write them up for "being over hours that pay period"

Listen and invest in your non-management employees, especially since you do a lot of in house hiring. Be consistent with your reward and punishment system within the company. Don't expect everything to be done at that second, especially when only one employee is working.

Disorganized company structure

Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Very easy job. They try and give a good atmosphere for work. Great Sr V.P. is one of the few in corporate office worth keeping.

Cons

Company is miss managed from the top down. Pretty disorganized company. Way behind I company technology. Upper management is a H.R. nightmare especially when C.E.O. starts to drink. Whole company needs to step into 20th century so it can work it's way into the 21st.

Invest in hiring actual managers and invest in a good manager building program to build your company. Do not focus so much on sales sales sales.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Happiness here depends on your own beliefs.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Spending time with animals and other animal lovers, seeing customers' dogs in the store, helping animals, generally friendly coworkers, decent benefits

Cons

Super strict uniform code, long shifts with lots of physical labor, stressful truck days, poor pay, and the biggest one for me was no outstanding policy to question customers buying animals about their ability to care for the animal. Many customers think animals are just temporary toys for their kids, and I disagree with that. I would hope that the company would too. But no, many a time I would ask my managers to question a customer who clearly planned to neglect the animal they were buying and my managers would just tell me to make the sale. I lost a little bit of my soul here. :(

Loosen up on the employees. Give shorter shifts, have a more relaxed dress code, pay us at least 8 an hour.
    Be more strict towards animal buyers. I think there should be some sort of character test in place for customers buying animals, especially parents buying for their young kids. Even just a little contract, maybe team up with a local vet to give free check ups every few months. It is not right to sell a little life into absolute misery and neglect.

Eh

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

Pros

Relatively easy job, good coworkers.

Cons

Overbearing management, very little time off -offered. Monotonous tasks.

Understand that just because your life is all about Pet Supermarket, that does not mean your employees feel the same.

Too many responsibilities for the pay

Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Fun place to work when there are enough employees there to help get things done. Its fun to help work with pets and their owners.

Cons

Most stores do not get enough payroll hours to run a store of the size. There are so many tasks pilled up on everyone. Hourly employees making 8/hr do not want to be stuck there all night with just 2 people putting away thousands of items (in order my expiration date) Just to be written up the next day by management because a few items were put out and not in the correct order. Management gets harassed by upper management and so on and so on. Its a never ending issue that will NEVER be fixed when paying 8.00 an hour. Management cant be held accountable for everything when not given the resources to meet expectations.

First off, pay hourly employees more. Ever hear the expression "You get what you pay for."? Well pay them 10-12/ an hour starting pay. Not 8.00. Also pay your sales leads (key holder, supervisor, 3rd key) employees more... not just a dollar or two more than a regular employee. They should get 15-20 an hour. Management should get 55k-75k per year and be able to leave if the store is all caught up with tasks. Assistant managers should get 40-50k per year. That should produce better employees. Give stores more hours too!!!! Some stores get a lot of hours because sales are good. Others do not get anything. Just enough for 2-3 employees at a time. ALL OF THE TASKS CAN NOT BE DONE WITH 2 PEOPLE!!!! At a pet store you dont just have regular retail stuff to do, but you need to take care of all of the animals, and customers. After all of that is done there is hardly any time to do all of the task like 8 week cleaning schedules, resets, etc. A store like Pet Supermarket needs a minimum of 5-6 people working at all times to do everything the correct way. Not 2-3.

If you have an employee that's good at something, embrace it.... don't take it away from them as a punishment.

This is not a company that values the front line employees.

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

Pros

The customer base and helping to care for their furry loved ones.

Cons

Poor senior management, unfair and dishonest HR leader, horrible company culture, unrealistic expectations that costs them good employees.

Start taking better care of your field employees. This does not necessarily mean pay more. It simply means, have realistic expectations, create a better culture, show appreciation and re-visit some of the individuals you have placed in senior leadership roles.

High School

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

You have a chance to receive monthly bonuses if you beat store sales goals. Free dog/cat food every month.

Cons

A lot of favoritism and seniority. Even has someone with years of more experience and qualifications, walking in you can expect to be stuck on a register will little chance to get promotions. The pay is low and the atmosphere is very high school. A lot of rumors and drama. If you're friends with the managers, ie: go out drinking with them, expect a promotion. If you keep it strictly business, expect nothing.

Great people

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

You get to work with a lot of interesting but really great people. The company cares about you and your well being.

Cons

Stock days can be rough on the body from lifting 40 pound bags of dog food. You get a ton of pallets and they can be a pain to load and unload. Promotions can be tough to get as well if you're not full time.

Gotta work hard

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bradenton, FL

Pros

I have been with Pam for over 10 years. I absolutely love it. It is hard work, but it is worth it. They promote from within. Everyone is so hard on upper management, that is because they probably weren't doing their job. Our vp once said "people work for people", this is a quote that has stuck with me. I love our corporate team. A company where our president knows us by name? How awesome. Our regional manager actually calls the store to ask what he can do to make our life easier. Our dm will wear jeans and get dirty alongside us. The good definitely outweighs the bad in this company. Will everybody love it? No. Such is life. Certain people are not cut out for retail and the pressure that goes along with it.... So move on.

Cons

Management works a lot of hours. And we aren't off when we clock out, lol. That's how you know you love your job.

Keep up the good work. Don't lose touch with the everyday struggles of being in a store :)

Worked for Pet Supermarket? Contribute to the Community!