Pet Supplies Plus Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
111 reviews filtered by
2.7
CEO

Pros
  • We are known for having the best customer service out of all the stores (in 5 reviews)

• Learned a lot about different pets and worked with people who had a general passion for pets (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You get paid minimum wage with no raises and their is a lot asked of their employees who get paid so little (in 14 reviews)

• Some of the downsides of working at Pet Supplies Plus is that you get No Benefits (in 8 reviews)

1. Great Job

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

Positive work environment, easy to get raises if you want them, wonderful managers, opportunities for advancement and education

Cons

District Manager very disagreeable, corporate policies, high turnover of employees

2. Positive environment, low pay, not enough investment in animal care

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management was usually positive, good place to learn about pets and pet care, plenty of opportunities for advanced training, moving up in the company is relatively easy for those who are interested

Cons

(keep in mind this is based on experience in a corporate-owned store, not a franchise location)
    Hourly employees are grossly underpaid, raises are all but impossible to come by without promotions (you start at minimum wage and must complete an entire binder's worth of "training" in order to get a twenty-five cent raise), employees are intentionally kept below 30 hours/wk to avoid earning benefits like health care, store policies inhibit employees' ability to properly care for animals (e.g. it is store policy to feed rats and mice only the left over birdseed spilled from the bulk bins-- completely unacceptable!).

Treat low level employees and animals with the respect and compassion you would like to receive. Reward strong employees with hours necessary to earn healthcare and benefits in order to: reduce turnover, increase employee satisfaction, and maintain strong employee-customer relations. Make pay for hourly employees commensurate with knowledge and experience gained on the job according to manager's evaluation rather than the number of hoops jumped through for corporate

Mar 6, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience. If you wouldn't mind emailing us at onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com, it would be helpful to know which of our corporate locations you are referring to. You ... More

3. Start-up with expected hiccups

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

quick reaction time to serious issues

Cons

No stability and few long-term goals that aren't constantly changing

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Cashier in Stow, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Stow, OH

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved working here. My manager worked harder than anybody else in the store. The atmosphere was very positive.

Cons

Corporate sucks. I watched them dwindle the store hours down until it was nearly impossible to run the store correctly. My manager was put under so much stress he quit. Not only did the low hours affect us, the animal couldn't possibly get the proper care they needed when you only had two people working a shift. not to mention, the condition they were shipped in.

Think more about quality and atmosphere. The high turnover for in-store management leads to horrible inconsistency and horrible new management.

Mar 6, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your review. It is very troubling to hear your account of the working environment at your Pet Supplies Plus, but it is with feedback such as yours that we can work together to improve ... More

6. It has been a fun place to work for several months up until now with the unfair treatment by the owner to the manager

Current Employee - Employee in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Employee in Athens, GA

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the pros were being able to learn information from other employees and the store manager. He was strict, but only in the sense that he expected you to do work. It's a low paying job, minimum wage with a raise after a year, but everyone working there has made it worthwhile. Lots of fun customers to interact with. Oh, and the manager always tried to have an employee party every month!

Cons

well, in what seems to be a very unfair and unprofessional circumstance, the owner let the store manager go. I won't go into details, but what the owner is accusing him of is absurd. Not only that, but all the employees were interrogated by the owner in a way that i felt pressured to say untrue things just to keep my job. I even heard the owner showed up at the managers house, who does that? I think the biggest con to working here is that we don't get to learn from that store manager anymore, he knew everything about every product. I know a few of us that will be leaving soon just based on principle and lack of professionalism by the owner and new store manager.

professionalism in handling situations. Clearly the higher ups are lacking.
    offer rewards to employees, the turnover rate is high here because of the lack of recognition.

Mar 25, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Other than the recent shifts in management, we're happy to hear Pet Supplies Plus has been a challenging, fulfilling and fun place to work. We're thankful, though, that ... More

7. A very positive experience when permitted to perform my job properly and professionally.

Former Employee - Pet Groomer in Willowick, OH
    Former Employee - Pet Groomer in Willowick, OH

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

The opportunity to help others and positive co- workers.

Cons

No room for advancement upward or lateral. The fact one must learn as they go often important aspects of the job regarding POLICY. The fact I was often lied to.

Just listen please. Be HONEST follow through on your empty promises Cease duplication of effort.

Feb 19, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your service to Pet Supplies Plus. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share your comments with the management team in Willowick.

8. Great animals, poor employees

Former Employee - Animal Room Customer Service Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Animal Room Customer Service Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

I got the opportunity to work in the animal room with all the animals. I love that part of my job. The animals were never judgmental of me as long as I gave them love and kept their cages clean.

Cons

The biggest challenge of working at Pet Supply plus was the other employees. I don't feel that they took their job seriously enough. I understand that we're a pet supply store but we did have living creatures depending on us for their quality of life.

When hiring employees make sure they have pets of their own so that they'll take the responsibility of caring for living creatures seriously.

Feb 19, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback on our Ann Arbor, MI store. The care and safety of our animals is always number one. We appreciate your service to Pet Supplies Plus and we will be sharing your ... More

9. Absolutely love working here !

Current Employee - Cashier; Livestock; Customer Service in Goshen, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier; Livestock; Customer Service in Goshen, IN

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

Pet supplies plus in Goshen, IN is the best job I've ever had. I've been there just over a year and have made so many new friends, not just in coworkers but neighbors as well. Management is great at the store I work at and we work together as a team to strive to be the store our neighbors love. I'm still young, but I know for a fact I would stay at PSP for as long as I can, because if you love what you're doing you never work a day in your life, right ? (Plus working with animals, who couldn't be happy !)

Cons

I would have to say the only cons are the pay.. which while it could be better still provides opportunities for raise..

Feb 19, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you so much for your glowing review of our Goshen, IN store. We are so glad that you have had an excellent experience with us. Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your continued service ... More

10. Great starter job to gain experience

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Canton, OH

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

Good benefits for family and pets, great starting job especially for management experience

Cons

Not a lot of care for animal department, raises based on training complete not actual performance

Feb 19, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

We appreciate your comments on our Canton, OH store and for taking the time to share your experience with future team members. We also thank you for your contunued service to Pet Supplies Plus.

11. Good work, bad atmosphere

Current Employee - Animal Care Specialist in Hermitage, PA
    Current Employee - Animal Care Specialist in Hermitage, PA

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have to be honest, I love the work I do at my store, being the animal care specialist, as well as my districts CDL. You get to interact freely with your neighbors, both new and regular, as well as care for the animals in your pet center, and surrounding centers.

Cons

I understand that there is drama in every workplace, but the fighting and attitudes and childish behavior and lying and gossip in my store is beyond ridiculous. Our new assistant manager was recently chased away due to the mean Barbie cashiers. Also, no raises. I do everything in my job description as animal care, plus the cat room, plus nail trims because we have no groomers, plus this CDL work, and all I have to show for it is $7.50/hr. It's so much work, and so little money or even acknowledgement.

Guys, pay attention to your employees. I'm trying my damndest to make this work. I like our company, and I think it has the potential to grow into something wonderful, but not unless you credit the people that are actually there, on the sales floor, engaging with neighbors, and doing the work.

Feb 3, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your honest feedback. We want you to know that it is because of you that we're able to serve neighbors to the highest standard. We appreciate all of your hard work, and want you to know ... More

Pet Supplies Plus Photos