Pet Supplies Plus

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

CEO

Pros
  • We are known for having the best customer service out of all the stores (in 5 reviews)

• Learned a lot about different pets and worked with people who had a general passion for pets (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You get paid minimum wage with no raises and their is a lot asked of their employees who get paid so little (in 14 reviews)

• Some of the downsides of working at Pet Supplies Plus is that you get No Benefits (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent job for High School Students

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Detroit, MI

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    Adorable animals
    Great events and animal rescues
    Flexible hours

Cons

Long hours and no breaks :(

Dec 17, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your service to our Detroit Pet Supplies Plus. We appreciate your feedback, and wish you well on your future endeavors.

Its a fun place to work, as long as you don't dig too deep. Manager in the Southeast.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pro's: Its a great chance to work with a variety of people who share a common goal, a love for pets. Being able to work with customers (neighbors) and knowing that they're going home with the right products is a great feeling.

Cons

Depends on what store and who you work for. Franchisee's are different across the board. Some pay well, some don't pay worth anything. Some take care of their employees, and others you're just a number on payroll. No benefits with franchise stores, you'd be lucky to find anything worth looking at.

Advertising is very minimal. More focus on current customers and hardly any outreach to new potential customers. Competing against PetSmart and seem's like that's an opportunity for some aggressive advertising. Petsmart has the advertising and makes it easy to find. Some simple advertising in regions would be huge for business. Can't make money unless you spend money.

Corporate has gotten much better over the course of the last year. It was great about 5 years ago, fell into some deep ruts, but have managed to come out ahead. I think if the corporate office's took a little control over how franchisee's treated their employees it would go a lot further. Though franchisee's have control over it, the employees there are still a face to the overall company.

Registers and office technology is way out of date. Rumors of new systems coming out next year, so we'll see.

Corporate should look into some of the franchise stores for advice and possible promotions into the corporate offices. Lots of great insight could come from this. Not sure what the policy is on recruiting from franchisee's, but it seems like that could be a boost for morale within the company on the franchise side.

Dec 17, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We value both your insights and suggestions for improvement. If you would feel comfortable, we would like to discuss in greater detail, so that we're able to ... More

Great growing company with many opportunities

Current Employee - Store Manager/Team Leader in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager/Team Leader in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work in a diverse environment from your interactions with customers and pets, along with growing a team, and working with corporate executives to aid in company growth.

Cons

Growing companies sometimes have growing pains, ensuring that management teams have a proper balanced work load.

I am in management and my advice is just for our company to continue to strengthen our growth strategies and never lose focus of our vision!

Dec 3, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Wow, thank you for the great review and feedback! We're so happy to have you as an integral part of our team.

Opportunities

Current Employee - Cashier in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good hours for the most part

Cons

Owners is terrible she is mean and yells alot

Holidays off treat employees better

Dec 17, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are very troubled to hear that there is unproductive conduct occurring at our Jackson store. Would you mind emailing us at ... More

It was a fun first job

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

Lots of friendly workers

Cons

Co workers would take about everyone pay always low days were long

Stop Asking for too much

Nov 10, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for leaving a review on your first job at Pet Supplies Plus! We're glad it's with us! We appreciate your feedback.

Started off really good then got worse

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Clinton, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Clinton, MI

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

Small business, Few regulation, All you have to do is do the minimum to get by.

Cons

There is no drive to do well at your job and when you do a really good job it just becomes expected and comes with no additional money or acknowledgment.

Needs extensive training.

Dec 17, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

We thank you for your review and for your service to Pet Supplies Plus. We appreciate your feedback and will be working with management to ensure that proper team member management is taking place.

Working for a corporate company with a franchise mentality and completely outdated.

Former Employee - Store Manager/Team Leader in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager/Team Leader in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The variety of items that could be ordered in. Also a great brand they are trying to execute.

Cons

The corporate office does not support the stores. They do not have a sense of urgency for store support. There are only 3 people in the IT department for over 300 stores and they do not answer the phone.

The corporate office is VERY DETACHED from supporting the stores that generate their paychecks. All corporate employees should work in a store for a week to understand the challenges they put upon their employees.

Dec 17, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your experience at our Short Hills Pet Supplies Plus. We appreciate your honesty, and want to assure you that we will be passing your comments and ... More

Good for teenagers who need a few bucks a week.

Former Employee - Team Member in Maspeth, NY
    Former Employee - Team Member in Maspeth, NY

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus part-time

Pros

Discounts were pretty good. I got to meet interesting customers every now and then, plus handle the cute (small) selection of animals.

Cons

Where to start.... Hours were horrible. Had I known I would only get a maximum of 18 (or less) hours per week, I would have passed on this job offer. Management never mentioned during the interview process or orientation how small the pay and hours were, especially for a "top" store in New York.
    The worst part is, you will be expected to do EVERYTHING in that store, which can be physically/mentally draining, for minimum wage.
    I also experienced favoritism with management (the short end of it). If you're not a favorite, you can expect a lot of huffing and puffing when you need something from the managers, and during closing you'll be cleaning up the bathroom (won't hire a janitor) and taking out the trash while the others are in the sitting in the office chatting.
     This one manager in particular, whose name I will omit, was the WORST. She was extremely unorganized with leading, assigning and completing tasks, which resulted in staying past 10 at night (no overtime pay!). Her favorites would be in the office of course, while everyone else closes down the store. It gets better...She actually suggested I was stupid on a few occasions, yelled at me once, and had a very condescending attitude... which was both frustrating yet amusing coming from someone who resembles a menopausal guinea pig.
     I've worked in retail soooo many years and have never come across a company with this type of management. She had a negative attitude with customers as well, which was extremely awkward while being on register.
    Anyway, the register systems are definitely not up to date, so that was also a hassle, especially when you have a long line and impatient "neighbors". You are expected to do a lot, plus answer phones while ringing people up, which doesn't go over well with paying customers. But it's either multitask or deal with menopausal managers.
    Honestly, this job is something for someone who's never worked before and wants a few bucks every week, and to make a few new friends. As an adult, this job will make you wonder about where you are in life...and hopefully strive for something much, much better.

I think I've said enough. Petco associates are a bit happier, maybe ask them advice :)

Dec 3, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We'll be investigating your claims to make sure that the well-being of our team members and our neighbors comes first.

Decent for Retail

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent as are the benefits, 45 hour work week with an hour for lunches. Culture is positive and you get to interact with pets and have fun things like pet parades and ice cream socials for pets.

Cons

Company is not on to date with their company computer systems, takes lots of extra time due to outdated technology. They put to much on the store management teams. They want an extreme amount of tasks done as well as day to day operations as well as an intense customer service presence. It is impossible and very frustrating, they want excellent customer service, but have no payroll budget to back it up.

Decide what goals you actually want and don't be so all over the place with them. If you want excellent customer service suck it up and put enough payroll hours out there to have the floor coverage you need for your goals.

Nov 10, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback about working as an assistant store team leader at Pet Supplies Plus. We value your honesty, and sincerely appreciate the time you took to share your experience. We will ... More

Ok

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

Good pay. Good hours. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Almost never hired from within. Never gave me a raise in the year and a half i worked there.

Nov 10, 2014Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your review of Pet Supplies Plus. We appreciate your candid feedback and will be taking it into account as we improve our employment program. Thank you again for being a part of the PSP ... More

Pet Supplies Plus Photos