Pet Supplies Plus Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
CEO

Pros
  • Great place to learn customer service skills (in 5 reviews)

• Learned a lot about different pets and worked with people who had a general passion for pets (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Started at minimum wage, left over a year later at (in 14 reviews)

• no benefits for part time employees (in 8 reviews)

1. Management

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus part-time

Pros

Friendly staff. Working with animals and other pets is also a nice thing, especially if you enjoy working with animals.

Cons

Management is poor. Unreachable goals affect morale. Not a job for someone who does not like instability in the management or poor organization.

Advice to Management

Management has a store to run, not to sit around all day and to not get involved with the workplace outside their office. If you are a GM and live right down the street from your store, there is no need to ignore other managers when they are having issues at the store.

Team Member

Current Employee - Team Member in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of animal interaction (dogs, animals, fish, small mammals)
    Great animal-handling experience
    Good customer service experience
    Opens doors to many other jobs (you get experience as stocker, cashier, salesman/saleswoman and animal care taker)

Cons

Low wage for amount of work done (it's a lot)
    No annual raises--or any raise of any kind, for that matter.
    Very stingy with their benefits and how many hours they give.
    Horrible management.

3. Management

Former Employee - Stocker in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Stocker in Naperville, IL

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus

Pros

Friendly staff
    Work with animals
    Laid back store atmosphere (depends on store and GM though)

Cons

Inconstant scheduleing
    Low pay for amount of work you do... It's a lot!
    Management acts as if it's above helping anyone.
    Getting time off is very hard and depends on who you are really.
    Next to no training and then get in trouble because of that.
    Asked to know about nearly everything in the store but not trained about it.
    No raises what so ever or at ridiculous number of time spent at the store.
    Not very friendly toward college students or at least my store wasn't.

Advice to Management

If you actually train people then there won't be so many problems. Also lead by example don't just hide in your office away from everyone else. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Have real raises and acknowledge the amount of work people do for the company. Make people actually want to come to work. Not I have to go to work. And don't make it next to impossible to get time off. People do have lives outside of work you know that right.

5. Decent job for high school or college students

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Columbus, OH

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with small animals and the environment at the store is laid back. When training is provided it is thorough.

Cons

Store inventory is poorly organized and inconsistent scheduling. Also training new employees is sporadic and many staff members do not know very much about the products they are selling or proper care for all animals.

Jun 18, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are concerned to hear that training is inconsistent at this store. Our goal is to properly educate and encourage our team members, so we ... More

6. Always in my heart

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus part-time

Pros

Great team. Great idea. Stand out

Cons

Corporate changed it a bit to less family like

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do and working so hard for us

Jun 18, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Wow, thank you for the heartfelt review! We feel so honored to have worked with someone who had such a passion for the cause. Please don't hesitate to stop by and say hi if you're ever in the area!

Cashier?

Current Employee - Cashier in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

District Manager, Craig, is really great

Cons

They didn't really tell me my job. Sometimes I work with animals, sometimes I'm at the register, sometimes I'm stocking shelves.

Jun 18, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for the review! We can't wait to tell Craig that he is appreciated. We are grateful for your feedback and would love to be able to have a conversation about your role at Pet Supplies Plus ... More

Shift Leader

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Columbus, OH

I worked at Pet Supplies Plus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You really do make a difference to the people that come into your store if you learn from a good manager and present them with options but let them decide what to try. There is a very generous return policy in place to eliminate the fear of buying something they may not want and it builds immense trust with the store.

Cons

Depending on the location a lot can go wrong. I helped build and open a store which was fantastic, great management, superb team, and wonderful customers (though we call them neighbors, because we are a neighborhood pet center). After about 9 months our management team was dismantled and sent to other stores which needed "help." The location I went to, this was an understatement. I won't go into the details but there were definitely a lot of them. I managed to turn more than half of it around but there is still a long road to go to be up to corporate standards. Just because we are surpassing our sales budget does NOT mean we are doing things right.

Advice to Management

Get out of the military mentality and learn to care for and train your employees. There were only two occasions in which my assistant manager offered to teach me something, 99% of the time he would deflect the responsibility onto the other shift leader, and both times he acted as if I was someone who came in off the street with no experience whatsoever.

And for the record; NEVER tell your shift leader that they "need to be more mean" in order to lead. If your team needs an aggressive, in your face style of leadership YOU HAVE THE WRONG TEAM MEMBERS! Can them and hire the RIGHT people!

Jun 18, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your service to Pet Supplies Plus and the candidness with which you reviewed your time with us. We certainly value all of your hard work and your commitment to helping us improve the ... More

9. awesome awesome awesome place to work great employees cool animals and nice pay

Current Employee - Ast Manager in New Albany, OH
    Current Employee - Ast Manager in New Albany, OH

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

competitive wages nice people and good leadership

Cons

don't really have any cons except for we close at 9 o'clock sometimes working late sucks

Advice to Management

I would say just keep doing what you're doing we are just moving on up up up and away

Jun 5, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for a great review! We're happy to have you as a part of the team.

Team Member

Current Employee - Team Member in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Medford, MA

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great overall learning experience with customer engagement/service. Good learning experience with pet foods and other products. Majority of customers "neighbors" are very friendly and keep you motivated.

Cons

Very laboring for a minimum wage job ($9.00). No health benefits or compensation. No fair raises and no bonuses. There are a lot of very unprofessional managers/team members. Pressuring job with no structure at all. This is a high school job, no one should stick around at a laboring minimum wage job with no benefits and structure.

Advice to Management

Before you assume, know facts. Do not bring your personal problems and bad moods onto team members, it only makes the work environment awkward. Be more considerate of hours requested. Have a better point system in regards to tardiness and unavailability to work due to sickness. No favoritism. Have frequent team meetings in order to listen to team members, as well as inform of new changes. Provide better structure!

Jun 18, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We will be in touch with the team leaders at your store to ensure management is leading in a thoughtful, healthy and encouraging manner. Would you mind sharing your ... More

11. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Akron, OH

I have been working at Pet Supplies Plus (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people I work with

Cons

Long hours and open all but 2 holidays.

May 19, 2015Senior Vice President - Human Resources

We love hearing from the strong team in Akron! Thank you for being an integral part of making our store and our business a success!

RSS Feed </> Embed