Pet Valu Reviews

Tom McNeely

Ok for short term - managers work a LOT

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pet Valu full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great communication from the corporate office. Average/above average employee discount. Decent holiday pay and insurance for managers in retail. Nice to support local animal rescues through a job. Bonus every quarter based on store performance.

Cons

45 hours in the store while it is open per week required for management. This does not include time spent working from home on things like schedules, event planning, email, ordering, general sales reporting and personnel issues because there is just no time while in the store helping customers and resolving issues and training new staff and putting away deliveries and merchandising to devote to working on a computer. Pay is low for what the job requires in order to be successful. Often difficult to complete all required tasks. Pay for pt staff is low so sometimes hard to motivate them.

Reward your managers more effectively. We work hard for you and without us you have no one motivating the store team to sell your product. Most of us don't take breaks. We work 10 hour days and our only relief is a 10 minute trip to make the bank deposit. We deserve a little appreciation.

High standards with no appreciation

Current Employee - Keyholder  in  Ellicott City, MD
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at Pet Valu part-time

Pros

Getting to interact with different animals is fun. Being able to help customers find products that make them and their pets happy is always rewarding.

Cons

Part time means no more than 25 hours because they do not want to pay benefits. Managers want requests off at least 3 weeks ahead of time, but no more that 2 months out. This only leaves you a 5 week period to make requests. This is inconvenient for making any major plans, and for part time staff pet valu is not a career. Managers also wait to make the schedule until a fews days or even the night before the week starts, so it is impossible to make any plans until the last minute.

If you expect that requests for days off be at least 3 weeks prior, then schedules should be made and available for part time staff to see at least 2 weeks out. If you want pt staff to not have a high turn over rate, then you need to increase pay rates when training is completed.

Unorganized, but typical retail job

I worked at Pet Valu part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with customers who genuinely want the best for their pets. Coworkers are usually friendly, and schedules are flexible for college students.

Cons

Low pay with no incentives. They require you to push monthly events (for charities or sales) and "write you up" for not meeting goals, however there's no reward for meeting or surpassing goals. Low pay with no opportunity to advance. Also, being a small company you get to know others in your district, and there's a lot of trash talking, especially among managers, of other employees. Very unprofessional. No breaks to purchase lunch or use the bathroom, and no refrigerator to bring food from home. Changes to your shift can happen with a days notice, and schedules come out 4 days in advance, so planning anything around work is difficult. Lots of young managers supervising right out of high school employees.

Lessen your amount of monthly events (asking customers to make a donation after every purchase). The stores are small, with the same costumers coming in weekly. They get very annoyed. Also, allow for breaks with a bigger overlap in shifts (15 minutes with two people in the store is not enough). Put out schedules in a timely manner. If an employee is required to give 3 weeks notice of a request for a day off, you should give them at least a weeks notice of their upcoming schedule.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Absolutely horrible from Corp US to DM.

I worked at Pet Valu full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Staff was great customers were amazing given the good one's that shopped their.

Cons

Compensation was not to par, worked a min of 50 hours no place to break, Not enough stock to keep on shelves to please customers, Low pay, bad hours, no structure of involvement or opportunities. Very little verbal communication with DM unless it was in e-mail or text format. A former DM was quoted saying " People don't quit jobs they quit bosses". Very true in this company. Turn over rate depends on if the Dm likes them if they don't they will do everything they can to get rid of you. If you want or are a manager and you want to relocate good luck, also this company has a difficult time adjusting to change and communication.

My advise to DM's most of you are great for having to put up with the everyday madness that is petvalu for that certain special DM don't threaten people with words cause you my friend are the biggest liar and cheat of all. You expect the employees to care when all you are worried about is trivial things that has nothing to do with professionalism. Ahh that's a word that would not be in your vocabulary, If I knew know what I didn't then I would probably not taken the Job.. Note I didn't say career. because from sales associate to manager you all are expendable. Don't take the Job they will only take every bit of your passion and leave you with nothing. this review is not personal Just a observation over the years. Good luck !!

Potential, Good for Retail

I have been working at Pet Valu part-time

Pros

Flexible schedules, worked well with my school schedule, management was easy to talk to.There was also great co workers.

Cons

Low Pay, but that's typical in retail. Sometimes the management would be a bit scattered.

Low Pay, No Benefits, no advancement opps

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  East Greenville, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in East Greenville, PA

I worked at Pet Valu part-time for more than a year

Pros

friendly co-workers, nice customers - being able to help people purchase products for their pets

Cons

very low pay, favoritism by store manager, hires part-timers only, never steady hours, no chance of ever getting advancement opps.

train your supervisors/store managers about labor laws and how to deal with employees

good job for what it is.

Former Employee - Key Holder  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Pet Valu part-time for less than a year

Pros

nice management and co workers

Cons

no way to move up. little hours

hire full time

Standard retail job. Not many extra benefits.

I have been working at Pet Valu

Pros

Flexible. Training was taken seriously

Cons

None really as long as your understand its a standard retail job...

Pet Valu destoyed my marriage(written by spouse of employee)

I have been working at Pet Valu full-time

Pros

discount on merchandise, most customers are friendly

Cons

12 hour working days with no overtime, once your "salary" is broken down by hours, you are paid less than minium wage. Must work at least 50 hour week but was instructed to only put down worked 45 due to labor laws. Not allowed to hire full-time employees as company does not want to pay benefits. Stores are seriously understaffed. Delivery trucks are sent at the most ridiculous times EARLY in the morning and are expected to work your scheduled shift immediately afterward for another 12 hours or more. Dont expect a paycheck on payday, many don't receive one until much much later.

Have some compassion for the employees of this company. They work hard but you are beating them to death. Make time to spend a day or two in each of your stores to have a true feel for day to day operations.

Dismal

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, PA

I worked at Pet Valu

Pros

Great discount, shifts aren't terrible, good communication between different stores. most of the employees and lower management were willing to help out when needed.

Cons

Corporate and upper/regional management is completely unaware of day to day issues. communication from upper management is poor as selling the private label brand food is top priority for them.

listening to your employees about why private label food won't sell in a certain geographic location could have saved a store from closing down. listen to your employees - we are the ones who listen to the customers.

Worked for Pet Valu? Contribute to the Community!