Pet Valu

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom McNeely

Ok for short term - managers work a LOT

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat communication from the corporate office. Average/above average employee discount. Decent holiday pay and insurance for managers in retail. Nice to support local animal rescues through a job. Bonus every quarter based on store performance.

Cons45 hours in the store while it is open per week required for management. This does not include time spent working from home on things like schedules, event planning, email, ordering, general sales reporting and personnel issues because there is just no time while in the store helping customers and resolving issues and training new staff and putting away deliveries and merchandising to devote to working on a computer. Pay is low for what the job requires in order to be successful. Often difficult to complete all required tasks. Pay for pt staff is low so sometimes hard to motivate them.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your managers more effectively. We work hard for you and without us you have no one motivating the store team to sell your product. Most of us don't take breaks. We work 10 hour days and our only relief is a 10 minute trip to make the bank deposit. We deserve a little appreciation.

Unorganized, but typical retail job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with customers who genuinely want the best for their pets. Coworkers are usually friendly, and schedules are flexible for college students.

ConsLow pay with no incentives. They require you to push monthly events (for charities or sales) and "write you up" for not meeting goals, however there's no reward for meeting or surpassing goals. Low pay with no opportunity to advance. Also, being a small company you get to know others in your district, and there's a lot of trash talking, especially among managers, of other employees. Very unprofessional. No breaks to purchase lunch or use the bathroom, and no refrigerator to bring food from home. Changes to your shift can happen with a days notice, and schedules come out 4 days in advance, so planning anything around work is difficult. Lots of young managers supervising right out of high school employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLessen your amount of monthly events (asking customers to make a donation after every purchase). The stores are small, with the same costumers coming in weekly. They get very annoyed. Also, allow for breaks with a bigger overlap in shifts (15 minutes with two people in the store is not enough). Put out schedules in a timely manner. If an employee is required to give 3 weeks notice of a request for a day off, you should give them at least a weeks notice of their upcoming schedule.

Absolutely horrible from Corp US to DM.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStaff was great customers were amazing given the good one's that shopped their.

ConsCompensation was not to par, worked a min of 50 hours no place to break, Not enough stock to keep on shelves to please customers, Low pay, bad hours, no structure of involvement or opportunities. Very little verbal communication with DM unless it was in e-mail or text format. A former DM was quoted saying " People don't quit jobs they quit bosses". Very true in this company. Turn over rate depends on if the Dm likes them if they don't they will do everything they can to get rid of you. If you want or are a manager and you want to relocate good luck, also this company has a difficult time adjusting to change and communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advise to DM's most of you are great for having to put up with the everyday madness that is petvalu for that certain special DM don't threaten people with words cause you my friend are the biggest liar and cheat of all. You expect the employees to care when all you are worried about is trivial things that has nothing to do with professionalism. Ahh that's a word that would not be in your vocabulary, If I knew know what I didn't then I would probably not taken the Job.. Note I didn't say career. because from sales associate to manager you all are expendable. Don't take the Job they will only take every bit of your passion and leave you with nothing. this review is not personal Just a observation over the years. Good luck !!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential, Good for Retail

ProsFlexible schedules, worked well with my school schedule, management was easy to talk to.There was also great co workers.

ConsLow Pay, but that's typical in retail. Sometimes the management would be a bit scattered.

Low Pay, No Benefits, no advancement opps

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) East Greenville, PA

Prosfriendly co-workers, nice customers - being able to help people purchase products for their pets

Consvery low pay, favoritism by store manager, hires part-timers only, never steady hours, no chance of ever getting advancement opps.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your supervisors/store managers about labor laws and how to deal with employees

good job for what it is.

Key Holder (Former Employee) Cherry Hill, NJ

Prosnice management and co workers

Consno way to move up. little hours

Advice to Senior Managementhire full time

Standard retail job. Not many extra benefits.

ProsFlexible. Training was taken seriously

ConsNone really as long as your understand its a standard retail job...

Pet Valu destoyed my marriage(written by spouse of employee)

Prosdiscount on merchandise, most customers are friendly

Cons12 hour working days with no overtime, once your "salary" is broken down by hours, you are paid less than minium wage. Must work at least 50 hour week but was instructed to only put down worked 45 due to labor laws. Not allowed to hire full-time employees as company does not want to pay benefits. Stores are seriously understaffed. Delivery trucks are sent at the most ridiculous times EARLY in the morning and are expected to work your scheduled shift immediately afterward for another 12 hours or more. Dont expect a paycheck on payday, many don't receive one until much much later.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some compassion for the employees of this company. They work hard but you are beating them to death. Make time to spend a day or two in each of your stores to have a true feel for day to day operations.

Dismal

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsGreat discount, shifts aren't terrible, good communication between different stores. most of the employees and lower management were willing to help out when needed.

ConsCorporate and upper/regional management is completely unaware of day to day issues. communication from upper management is poor as selling the private label brand food is top priority for them.

Advice to Senior Managementlistening to your employees about why private label food won't sell in a certain geographic location could have saved a store from closing down. listen to your employees - we are the ones who listen to the customers.

Best Retail Job! TRENTON ON

ProsFlexible hours,
    Free education and certification,
    Meet new people and pets,
    Discuss and educate people on proper and/or better care of their pets
    Never been forced to recommend a food that I know is not right for the animal due to profits
    Get to work with people who care about animals just as much if not more than I do
    Did I mention how much I have learned and am still learning? It never stops we keep learning as new studies come out!
    Bosses that actually care about you and your health (I was even given a ride when they felt it was too cold for me to walk to work)
    It's about the animals not the money

ConsSmall staff make it hard to take sick days
    No benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! I care more about my job and try harder because I know my bosses care about me. Of course I must add that from what I have been hearing other stores should be taking notes on employee care from the Trenton Store. Best retail job I have EVER had!!

Worked for Pet Valu? Contribute to the Community!