Pet Valu

Add Photos

Tom McNeely

Potential, Good for Retail

I have been working at Pet Valu part-time

ProsFlexible schedules, worked well with my school schedule, management was easy to talk to.There was also great co workers.

ConsLow Pay, but that's typical in retail. Sometimes the management would be a bit scattered.

good job for what it is.

Key Holder (Former Employee)
Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Pet Valu part-time for less than a year

Prosnice management and co workers

Consno way to move up. little hours

Advice to Senior Managementhire full time

Standard retail job. Not many extra benefits.

I have been working at Pet Valu

ProsFlexible. Training was taken seriously

ConsNone really as long as your understand its a standard retail job...

Pet Valu destoyed my marriage(written by spouse of employee)

I have been working at Pet Valu full-time

Prosdiscount on merchandise, most customers are friendly

Cons12 hour working days with no overtime, once your "salary" is broken down by hours, you are paid less than minium wage. Must work at least 50 hour week but was instructed to only put down worked 45 due to labor laws. Not allowed to hire full-time employees as company does not want to pay benefits. Stores are seriously understaffed. Delivery trucks are sent at the most ridiculous times EARLY in the morning and are expected to work your scheduled shift immediately afterward for another 12 hours or more. Dont expect a paycheck on payday, many don't receive one until much much later.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some compassion for the employees of this company. They work hard but you are beating them to death. Make time to spend a day or two in each of your stores to have a true feel for day to day operations.

Dismal

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Wayne, PA

I worked at Pet Valu

ProsGreat discount, shifts aren't terrible, good communication between different stores. most of the employees and lower management were willing to help out when needed.

ConsCorporate and upper/regional management is completely unaware of day to day issues. communication from upper management is poor as selling the private label brand food is top priority for them.

Advice to Senior Managementlistening to your employees about why private label food won't sell in a certain geographic location could have saved a store from closing down. listen to your employees - we are the ones who listen to the customers.

Time to move into the Tech age

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pet Valu full-time for less than a year

ProsOperations Manager was amazing, she had a great way of dealing with the day to day organization of the senior mgmt

ConsPoor Processes and no real vision or plan for growth. Its all over the map and put on the Field Team

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better long team plan t sustain growth and not burn out Team

Being ill will not be tolerated!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at Pet Valu part-time for less than a year

Pros-Get discounts on pet supplies and food
-Get to interact with pets on a daily basis
-Very easy to sell as customers are all looking to buy something unlike clothing and or other retailers with a lot of lookers but no 'takers'.

Cons-Not paid for training they expect you to train more than 30 hours of pet training on your own time through an online website.
-HORRIBLE training process in store...the management I worked with did not explain clearly the more complicated processes of product intake. The computer system was so simplistic when it came to cashing customers out but as for product inventory there are a million menus and submenus and codes and management expect you to learn it instantly.
-Not rewarded for sales as individual sales are not tracked
-Management gives absolutely no guidance as to tasks that they wish to be completed on slow days...Personally I would clean and neaten things in the store and then be ridiculed.
-They expect you to never get a break and if you are ever terribly ill (even hospitalization) they will fire you with no explanation despite explaining that it was perfectly alright to have time off to get better.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees if ill to have time off to naturally get better, especially if severally ill.
-Pay for all training
-Explain store policies and procedures and expectations when hired.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Pet Valu part-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get beneficial experience.

Get to meet new people and pets.

Somewhat flexible hours.

ConsMinimum wage - no raises.

No benefits.

Family get the best hours.

STRESS and DRAMA.

No promotions due to franchise.

Franchise owners are very unprofessional.

Expected to work for free.

No breaks, always working alone. Can't even use the washroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a place where you can speak with franchise employees. We're not treated equal.

Sigh

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Pet Valu full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-overall the LMS training is in-depth and informative (though some sections like the small animal, reptile etc. are laughable at best...you learn more from Wikipedia); with some stores managers do NOT pay for this training time which is unfortunate
-great if you enjoy animals and working with shelters for events
-can make some friends (possibly, although many stores have lots of internal conflict)
-ability to do different things everyday (not just being a cashier - merchandising, putting out orders, customer service etc)
-keeps you fit - on your feet all day, lifting bags of dog food and litter all the time

Cons-upper management - DMs, FBCs, VPs, other acronyms etc. - there is no unified vision as to what Pet Valu as a company is or should be, and no long term goals - everything is "in the moment" and reactionary - one month you are doing things this way, then next month another way because Very Important Person X saw it at a competitor or at some trade show
-horrid micromanagement for all tasks - managers are coddled and treated like children
-if you like to "take ownership of your business" this is not the company for you
-increasingly rigid guidelines for everything - soon there will probably be company policies on bathroom break lengths
-no incentives for meeting sales for majority of the staff (unless you count mugs and Tim Hortons $10 cards, some of which never even get given out)
-at the end of the day, sales and selling private label food are more important than well-being of pets
-low wages and no raises- from part timers to managers, your wage will likely stay the same for your entire time at PV (or go up in increments of 50 cents in best case scenarios)
-often times, the manager or other employees work extra unpaid hours (i.e. horrid work/life balance) to finish and maintain stores at the standards asked for - any OT needs to be approved and is highly frowned upon
To summarize, if you are a person with a few years management experience, look for other companies unless you have no other options. The poor pay, stress, and limitations in actually performing a managing role are not worth the trouble. For someone coming from an assistant manager role, could be a good gig for a year or so (then get outta there!)

Advice to Senior ManagementMost upper management appears to be impervious to any sort of advice from people at the store level. No matter how many times managers and employees complain, you generally have to "deal with it" or leave...most people, especially the best employees, end up leaving due to this rigid, unclear, and unhealthy company culture.

Extremely disappointed by Pet Valu's tacky and patronizing corporate culture.

Retail Associate (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Pet Valu full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat online LMS training, good in-store staff, franchise stores seem nice

ConsPatronizing and condescending corporate management, company unwilling to absorb cost of business, no overtime, enforced sales targets (with no incentive to reach them), no opportunity for advancement, dishonest policies for dealing with charities, no contributions to communities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPet Valu's employment policy requires staff to be at least 18 years old; hence, we are all adults. Attempting to motivate stores with childish "Motivational Boards" and $15 gift cards (that's $15 to be shared amongst the entire store staff) is ineffective and demeaning — try commission pay or performance reviews with rewards.

Without being able to work overtime, many corporate managers work dozens of unpaid hours in order to get work done that PV mandates by deadlines PV sets — they have to hire more staff or allow them to get overtime. I have worked many days without lunch and washroom breaks in order to help out or because there was no additional staff coverage. Not only is this unfair to staff, this is against the law; an audit of my attendance will reveal clear violations of the Ontario Employment Standards act.

Not only that, but managers are forced to absorb many costs associated with running corporate stores. Example: PV is unwilling to pay back managers for cleaning products and cleaning equipment (like vacuums).

Our store raised the most donated cash in our district for a spay and neuter clinic, but PV sent us gift cards valued to that amount instead... until we carry scalpel blades and betadine, a gift card to Pet Valu is useless to them. This is dishonest to customers who donated money believing that it would go directly to the organization; instead, it goes straight back to the company. Sneaky.

Upper management from head office likes to make regular visits to stores. This is all fine, except for the fact that there is a clear disconnect between members of upper management. One day the VP of Operations comes in and tells us to arrange the store one way... the next day, the District Sales Manager tells us to arrange it another way... then another higher up manager tells us something else. This continues to occur time and time again — they do not understand the time it takes to re-merch a high-traffic store, especially when we have sales quotas to meet as well. Please stop playing games with us, and talk to other upper management staff to compromise and send us one, unified plan that we can all agree on.

Pet Valu also recently sent a memo to all stores to stop giving discounts to shelters immediately because "...we already help them enough...". This is shameful and embarrassing. The community around us has been gracious enough to give us discounts and deals simply for being in the area, but we have nothing to offer back.

If you have a conscience, you won't feel comfortable working for this company. If you're looking to advance in an organization, skip Pet Valu, because you won't see a 5 cent raise in 100 years, even if you're a manager. And if you're interested in investing in Pet Valu, I'd back away, because many of the company's actions suggest looming financial woes.

Worked for Pet Valu? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pet Valu reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pet Valu CEO Tom McNeely. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Pet Valu employees.