PetEdge

www.petedge.com

PetEdge Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Great Company - Great Location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPetEdge truly believes in continuous improvement. They have invested a great deal in systems and training in order to improve process and the customer experience.
    I was able to experience great professional growth while with the company.
    They make a point to recognize employee's who go above and beyond.

ConsThe cost of healthcare was higher than I have seen in other jobs.

Revolving Door

Employee (Former Employee) Beverly, MA

Pros• Convenient location free parking and/or close to commuter rail - Cummings Center has everything you need from doctors, dentists, post office, restaurants, etc.
    • Some PetEdge employees are really nice to work with
    • If you love pets - it's a good place to work

Cons• Culture is terrible
    • Benefits are terrible - medical insurance is very expensive and vacation time is non-existent
    • Bonuses are never paid out and you never get recognized for going above and beyond
    • Managers in certain departments are down right belittling

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better management

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Solid workplace if you are here to work

Associate (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsGood work-life balance. The location is very convenient. The managers, supervisors are willing to help and share knowledge which is a huge plus (it is not always the case with other companies - I worked at a place where they taught you to "push back" instead of helping). There is growth opportunity for sure.

ConsPay could be a bit more.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going, you are on the right track. Maybe re-look at some of the options, policies for clients that cost the company too much money.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic, growing company with unlimited opportunities...

NTM (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsVery dynamic company... I was drawn to the manufacturing capabilities, vast product selections and cutting edge category trends. The management team truly cares about your success and and is great about providing the proper tools to help you be successful. My main draw to joining PetEdge was my instant comfort level with Trina and her management style. The inside account managers are very knowledgeable and supportive in growing accounts together.

ConsIt was a bit challenging at first to learn where/who to go to for information or assistance on project needs. The new computer system took time to learn to navigate, as well as the other networks but it came pretty quickly once I started applying it to real needs. I was a bit surprised that several customers were unhappy with or had quit buying from PetEdge, which required some damage control that I wasn't expecting.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule less general meet-and-greets and much more focused meetings with key personnel such as inventory management, merchandising etc... These are the people I really need to successfull manage my customers and I don't recall any time with them during my training...I could have missed it though, it was a fast week!

Okay

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Peabody, MA

ProsIf you love animals and pets then it's hard to find a better company to do customer service for, they give most people their own mini-cubicle so you're not sharing equipment like in other call-centers, currently improving their system to help customers better and is easier for employees to use, great access to their product listing to help customers, and an actual mock store in the office so employees can see the products they're selling.

Conshigh turn-around in the call center portion, 10 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch is non-negotiable unless you're higher up, they're still developing a good training process.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more flexibility with lunches and breaks, I found it hard to relax or use the bathroom under 15 minutes. Work with employees and contractors on issues rather then terminating them over inconsequential issues.

Not A Bad Place To Work

Associate (Former Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsSenior Management tries really hard to do the right things. Small family-owned business environment. Hard-working employees who give it their all every day.

ConsBenefits are terrible. Micro-management down to the smallest detail. There is lack of recognition for the hard working employees and there are no incentives for them to keep going above and beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying - you will get there.

Enjoyed my time at PetEdge and learned a lot

Marketing (Former Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsMet a lot of nice people. Learned a ton. Employee discount was a nice perk. I had to leave for personal reasons, I would have liked to have stayed.

ConsCommute was bad. Pay could have been better.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall OK. Get rid of some of those negative people.

Challenging and interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsChallenging and trying at time.

ConsBenefits are really bad at this company and need to be drastically updated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPetedge needs to have more trust in the employees who have worked hard to make Petedge the company it is today.

Poorly Managed Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsTalented, smart, nice group of people. Nice office environment. Huge potential to do great things.

ConsManagement has shot itself in the foot over and over again recently. This has lead to a tremendous loss in sales and customers. It also caused the recent layoffs that will likely continue thru 2014.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop. Think. Think again. Then take the next best step.

Once you have set the direction, stay the course.

Don't "re-think" and change mid-stream.

It's difficult to place blame on one person or department. This is very much a joint management screw-up that will take months if not years to recover from.

Let employees know that you value them (I know you do). They are the ones on the phones apologizing over and over to customers for mistakes that they had absolutely nothing to do with. You need them as much as they need their jobs. Acknowledge that fact.

Confusing and frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsSome of the people are wonderful, special and truly good. Extremely talented people in every department. There is lots of room to dabble in whatever interests you to gain experience. When I first started at PetEdge I had high hopes and was treated wonderfully.

ConsTo be fair, this company has deteriorated very fast from a place that was actually pretty good. I'm also writing this at a time of what appears to be a great turnover. For the past 2 years it has been very tough to work at PetEdge.
    The HR recruiter who hired me said to me while I was signing my contract: 'This isn't a forever job for you... I wouldn't stay here longer then a couple years if you can help it.' I should have listened. This is a privately owned company and although the owner seems nice and kind; he clearly has an agenda that pushes all the usual rules of business out the door. The managers at this company micro-manage small projects and are obsessed over keeping face rather then making the company money, creating a good product, or growing the business.
    Managers will even complain and gossip loudly about other managers. It can be incredibly frustrating for those of us in the middle.
    Managers tend to run around with their hair on fire because of a tiny little detail that the owner requires while huge issues fester.
    Bonus are non existent although they are used in negotiation as part of your salary. No more then 3 weeks off a year is all you can ever hope for (1 week your first 2 years). Most employees are forced to work weekends and take work home. No exit interviews seem to be happening during this great turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have an incredible staff that is very capable. Let them do the job you hired them for. Obsessing over tiny details and playing 'Yes Man' to the owner are costing this company a fortune. Lastly, please stop lying to the employees. It is creating gossip and panic. It saddens me to write this review because I feel so defeated. This company had so much potential.

Worked for PetEdge? Contribute to the Community!