PetSmart Reviews

Reset
3.8
PetSmart President & CEO Michael Massey
Michael Massey

Pros
  • Working with animals care culture (in 97 reviews)

• Excellent medical benefits for full time staff (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting full time is next to impossible (in 58 reviews)

• I definitely also believe the Pet Care responsibilities are very high for the min (in 50 reviews)

Nice job if you can handle all the favoritism!

Former Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist in San Marcos, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy work, especially if you are knowledgeable with pets already. Very flexible on scheduling and asking for days off. Paid vacation for full and part time employees. Good breaks when working short shifts.

Cons

Micromanaged, many of the managers are not familiar with the different reptiles' husbandry and when you try to tell them that the housing should be changed, they just want it to go by "the books" which are sent down from Corporate. District managers are a pain when doing walkthroughs because they knit-pick at habitat appearance (such as birds finishing their daily millet) and expect the petcare employees to constantly wipe the glass and replenish millet (all for looks). They need to realize that it is a pet store and when housing 15 parakeets in a cage with a glass window, it is almost impossible to keep it clean for more than 10 minutes.

Advice to Management

Many of the reptiles sold have husbandry issues and it leads to sick, stressed or dead pets. Do more research on each and every reptile sold and correct these issues. Only then will you be able to surpass your industry competitor because you will house and sell higher quality, stress free reptiles.

2. Terrible Place To Work

Former Employee - Lead Stocker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Stocker in Austin, TX

Pros

There's a refrigerator in the break room. Discounts on merchandise is a plus if you have a pet. Good place for a lazy worker.

Cons

Management is uneducated and lazy. Employees are lazy. Customers reasonably respond to the immense rudeness that is permitted by the management. Multiple Osha violations occured while I was employed there. Stresses me out just thinking about working there. Let alone making 9 an hour arriving at 3 am some mornings.

Advice to Management

Do your job like you are supposed to.

Fun,dirty educational and stressful.

Current Employee - Pet Care Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Care Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My group of employees have been great. Of course the animals is why I applied there in the first place! Most days you follow a routine and you do become a fine timed robot. Most pet parents are fabulous and you can tell they want what's best for their pet. In the petcare department there's never nothing to do and you can really get your hands dirty! They have employee of the month and do card recognitions for good work. Which is a nice mural booster. The job is very educational. Be ready and willing to take in a lot of information and do your own research on the animals you sell plus some other common pets. For example my store doesn't sell ferrets, bunnies, pond fish orange birds but everyone in my department can tell you the basic start up care, common illnesses and their care, and other random facts. You get to meet a variety of people. We had a rescue raccoon orphan baby brought in by its foster mom to get it a hammock. There seems to be opportunity for advancement and transferring locations.

Cons

Normal cons of a retail store with a few others. You will get dirty. You will go home smelling like a wildebeest. I particularly dont mind this but my roommates did. So be prepared to shower on a bi daily bases. You have to be ok with every animal In the store. The adoptive cats, snakes and crickets seem to be the most common "fear factor" pets at my store. But some do have spiders so Deffinatly look into what your chosen store sells. Very little training in certain areas. They do try to train everyone, with monthly little computer videos, meetings and games. But some things get rushed through and once you're on your own it's hard to get help even from my "help" line. The rest of the cons are basic retail. Yes you are still working with animals but it's still retail. You have plans and goals to meet every week. Each store gets graded on a score card individually and by district. This can be very stressful in the slower season when the store level is empty and corporate only sees red. You are required to sell x amount of classes/adoptions etc. You deal with really idiotic people, which happens everywhere, but the bar seems to raise when dealing with living pets that they claim to be family. You get treated like a vet, to the point where people will get mad if you don't know the answer or recommend an actual vet trip. I hear "can you guarantee it if I use this?" Unless it's a fake aquatic plant I can't gsurentee anything. I'm not a trained vet. In fact many workers are only 18! I'm amazed how many people think we can diagnose something that requires bloodwork from just looking at the pet. Communication lacks greatly. If you're a store without a vet you have to work around the vets schedule at another store. I'm sure not all vets are like this I've had very good transactions with the vets that are super far away. The one closest to me makes me work for an appointment at times. Like I'm bothering them or something.

Advice to Management

My suggestion really goes to MARS management who operates the vet clinics. Since the vets are required to see in store pets. Why is it not a requirement that every location have a specialized vet(s) or ones willing to learn the basic treatments for what the store sells? They don't have to take big pet parent clients, or gave to be there on an everyday basis. Even if it's a side vet that comes by appointment. It's very frustrating and stressful when I have a sick or wounded pet and none of the vets in a 35 mile radius (about 7 stores) sees the particular pet and I have to look outside of PetSmart for help. Most cases spending the entire afternoon in the phone. Many of those vets are confused about the situations and I have been turned down. In conclusion it would be nice to be able to get my more exotic pets cared for when required. I'm not asking for an expert in every store. But at least one vet per location that's willing to read a few books in order to 1. Do poop tests on birds and reptiles (everything with them can be determined by poop or blood) 2. Be willing to weigh a small animal, do some math and give me the required dosage of the needed medicine that they kept on hand any way. And send me on my way.

5. I had a positive experience working at PetSmart.

Former Employee - Shift Leader At Pet Hotel in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Leader At Pet Hotel in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the guest animals.

Cons

I would have preferred more training for new employees.

Advice to Management

Promotions and raises were fair.

6. Fun place to work at.

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Austin, TX

Pros

I love interacting with the dogs at checkout. I feel like I'm with family when I come in to work. Easy to move up.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like some of the staff and managers aren't proactive when there is a long line of customers at checkout. Full time hours would be nice for non-management positions.

Advice to Management

Please be proactive about helping customers at the front end.

Just OK

Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers and pets are fantastic to work with! Associates work well with each other. Employee discount is nice.

Cons

Hardly anyone to help due to labor crunches. Many tasks not focusing on the customers. Lots of turmoil from upper leadership and lacks communication

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of your customers and store associates

Good place to work, but maybe not a career

Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get benefits right away if you're full time. You don't have to wait 90 days like at most places. People are pretty friendly and willing to help. Safety for animals is really the top priority. Most schedules are pretty flexible. Extra pay for overnight shifts. Paid holidays. 2 personal days in addition to vacation and sick hours. Customer are way better than typical retail customers.

Cons

Every year. they cut hours drastically but expect double the work. Overtime is frowned upon, but Especially in critical areas like stocking, customer service and cashiering. Pay is not competitive and not worth the stress. Promotion only seems to happen if you know the right person or you suck up enough to the right person. Not sure if store issues really get rolled up to executives because every store manager wants to be a hero. Company seems to look outside to fill management positions instead of grooming/working with associates to be ready for those positions

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff!! Don't assume that things don't get done because your people are lacking, it really could be the process. Although it's a challenge because there is so much direction given, take time to develop your people. They really could be the next leader in your store.

9. Very pleasant

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you love animals, you get to interact with them all day. The work is fairly easy and the employee discount is nice.

Cons

Sometimes the work is kind of nasty, like cleaning up dog poop and pee.

Advice to Management

A little higher pay would probably make employees more loyal.

10. aquatic specialist

Former Employee - Aquatic Specialest in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Aquatic Specialest in Round Rock, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has strong leadership and a clear mission statement

Cons

management was disorganized. Sometimes it is important for management to back up floor salespersons when a customer is verbally abusive.

Advice to Management

As a manager it is important to set the standard of a model employ.

Lots of Fur, Feathers, and Scales but not much Pay

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Practically therapeutic to go to work, no matter the people drama, or school stress there just aren’t too many places you can go to work and just pick up a handful of hamsters. It’s actually policy to pet dogs! It is basic retail expectations (sales, stocking, facing) but you are compensated with kittens and chinchillas.

Cons

Pay is low for an associate, as well as management (unless you are a store manager) so really this job couldn’t be your primary means of supporting yourself. Even as a second job, it would be a stretch. There is not much in the way of growth because from my observations they do not hire from within. Also, no one was full time, except management and 1 of the trainers.

Advice to Management

Consider paying more than minimum wage, or at least promoting from within.

Showing 17 of 1,691 reviews