PetSmart Reviews in Austin, TX

3.2
1,073 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 90 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • They are eliminating many full-time positions to avoid paying vacations and healthcare (in 53 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very pleasant

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you love animals, you get to interact with them all day. The work is fairly easy and the employee discount is nice.

Cons

Sometimes the work is kind of nasty, like cleaning up dog poop and pee.

A little higher pay would probably make employees more loyal.

aquatic specialist

Former Employee - Aquatic Specialest in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Aquatic Specialest in Round Rock, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company has strong leadership and a clear mission statement

Cons

management was disorganized. Sometimes it is important for management to back up floor salespersons when a customer is verbally abusive.

As a manager it is important to set the standard of a model employ.

Lots of Fur, Feathers, and Scales but not much Pay

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Practically therapeutic to go to work, no matter the people drama, or school stress there just aren’t too many places you can go to work and just pick up a handful of hamsters. It’s actually policy to pet dogs! It is basic retail expectations (sales, stocking, facing) but you are compensated with kittens and chinchillas.

Cons

Pay is low for an associate, as well as management (unless you are a store manager) so really this job couldn’t be your primary means of supporting yourself. Even as a second job, it would be a stretch. There is not much in the way of growth because from my observations they do not hire from within. Also, no one was full time, except management and 1 of the trainers.

Consider paying more than minimum wage, or at least promoting from within.

Good experience for a college kid just wanted to do something fun

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learned quite a bit about business strategy as well as taking care of animals. Never meant to be a long term situation but worth the time spent.

Cons

Pay was obviously minimum wage which is never fun.
    Cleaning up poop is cleaning up poop

Never planned on staying, but should be transparent about what is offered if someone wants to move into management... meaning if there is a great employee, make it understood very clearly why they should take the bet on moving up if they have other opportunities elsewhere.

Bather

Current Employee - Bather in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Bather in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like dogs and bathing them is the only positive part of this job.

Cons

It pretty much sucks. There is mold on the bathing area, customers are flippant, and we are expected to pander to 100% of the jerks.

Stop blaming employees immediately and listen.

Horrible experience. Bad even for Retail.

Former Employee - Support Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Support Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the staff are very Animal Centric and would do anything for the pets that frequent the store. They have long been open to domestic partner insurance and benefit programs (especially for management).

Cons

The management and corporate edicts seemed geared towards preventing the associates from earning benefits. Their definition of Part-time is less than 36 hrs a week, so they are told to attempt to schedule each associate for 35.5 hrs, expect them to be flexible on the hours they are available, and won't post a schedule until every Friday. It was expected for the employees to call in on Fridays and Saturdays to get their schedules for Sunday through saturday (NOT a week in advance, meaning that at most you had two days knowledge of whether you worked on a Sunday and what hours.) They pay is very noncompetitive in the larger cities but decent in the small towns. Frequent abuses by management in multiple locations across the country including animal abuses, sexual harassment abuses, and hostile workplace environments. I've worked in Retail Management in several places and locations, and PetSmart seemed to foster a culture of treating the entry-level associates as worthless peons. Profit Profit Profit. Pretend you love Animals! It Sells Better!

Pay attention to your employee feedback surveys and provide a safer more anonymous means for the associate to give their opinions. I've been there listening to employees complain about fear of reprisal since they have to use their Employee Logins to put in any comments. And take action swiftly, not over a year later, when a member, or members, of management (especially district management, Training stores, etc) has multiple complaints of the same nature.

Overall a great company to work for within the retail environment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management and training structure was well defined and efficient- contributing to a knowledgeable and happy staff and customer base.

Cons

The company culture can be lacking at times. They would do well do facilitate bonding and growth through more employee interaction.

Change store layouts/signage/goods depending upon the geographic area, to make them more appealing to the customers- helps them create a better bond with the store as a brand.

I love working at Petsmart.

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love seeing dogs all the time. My management team is awesome.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Keep it up!

Not terrible but not great

Former Employee - Cashier in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Marcos, TX

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Seeing all of the pets is always fun, overall nice co-workers, new cash registers at all locations (just after I left)

Cons

They give you hardly any hours if you have to take a couple of nights per week off, if you don't ask for it you will almost certainly be scheduled to work a Saturday, Sunday or both, the store manager was straight up fired after working for the company for 20+ years based on the fact that customers didn't want to take the company surveys.

The managers don't really have a reason to work hard because they are severely underpaid. While the cashiers/stockers are paid what I would expect, PetSmart is not a place I would want to make a career of because of poor management compensation. Also, GET BETTER QUALITY FOODS. Only one or two brands are top notch, most of the rest are decent at best.

Ok place to work but not worth the pay

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Animals are fun to take care of and to be around. Learning about all the different products was fun. Learning about so many different animals was interesting.

Cons

Pay is WAY too low for the amount of work one has to do. Long hours on your feet. Have to work weekends.

Increase pay.