PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team(in 67 reviews)

• Worked as a hotel employee for two years - great hours (usually full time hours), long shifts(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation(in 44 reviews)

• There are not enough employees there during the day at anytime, especially in the Pet Care department(in 38 reviews)

Awesome

Pet Trainer (Current Employee) Brighton, CO

ProsI love the hours that we are open. It rocks to get off work around 7PM every sunday if not earlier. I love many of my managers and co workers. I get to play with puppies all day and train them. I enjoy watching the dogs and humans grow and create that bond they did not have before. I also like playing with the adoption animals. Helping pet parents get educated about products is awesome

ConsMany of my co workers should have been fired to due how they treat customers other co workers and animals. In my store we also do not say no to returns no matter if we know the stuff was stolen or the training classes were past they return date.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay no to customers trying to return stole goods, and training classes past the return date. That would make many things far less stressful!

its fine.

Prosthe dogs are definatly a plus

Consthe pay/hours are low there were times when i thought it wasnt worth it.

Advice to Senior Managementorganisation is key.

PetSmart GREAT PLACE TO WORK but...

Pet Care Associate (Current Employee)

Prosgreat people to work with. Everyone loves retail and animals and it is a positive environment. The philosophy of the company is a positive one and they do a lot of work towards rescuing animals. Management is friendly and caring for the most part and the environment is always caring and friendly and positive. Compensation is the only draw back. They only hire part time and the pay is awful compared to the expectations they demand.

ConsPay is awful. If the company cared as much about the living conditions of its associate as they do about animals it would be the best company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight for better pay for associates

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place ever!

Bather (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsGreat team, attitude, and ect. all bad is out weighed by the face that you can move up soooo quickly.

Conssmall space, some young kids who dont care.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe kids at the register dont need to be on there phones....come on guys!

Great mission and good people

Middle Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCollaborative environment, less political than other companies I've worked for.

ConsCan be too collaborative at times making innovation and growth slower than it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on growing the business and agility.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat customers, nice working environment and management willing to work with me to establish a consistent part time schedule.

ConsNo health care for part time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many coupons - a customer should get no more than one coupon per transaction based on their purchse history. You have the information with the Petperks data. Use it.

I have never been happier.

Salon Manager (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsPetSmart is an amazing company to be a part of. You have the ability to really grow and become someone you can be proud of. Being surrounded by pets and pet parents all day..... where else can you do that :)

ConsSalon managers really should be salaried managers.

If you get a store with good people, it's a great retail job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Ocean, NJ

ProsI'm sure it varies widely, but my experience was that Petsmart was a company where a good employee can work their way from cashier to management, or branch off into other departments like grooming or training that could lead to better opportunities.

ConsTypical corporate retail nonsense to work around, but if you have managers who are supportive and will advocate for you, it's great.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore management: Be supportive of your employees and give them opportunities to advance and succeed when they're willing to work for it. Corporate management, don't be so micromanaging that it makes it impossible for employees to do the enjoyable parts of their jobs (taking care of animals, sharing knowledge and advice with pet parents) just to hit certain numbers that it's impossible for the average employee to really influence anyway.

PetSmart

Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) Parker, CO

Prosworking with animals everyday, talking the adoption dogs on walks and playine with the adoption cats. its nice to interact with people that enjoy animals.

Conshire mainly part time associates. sometimes we do not have enough staff on hand when the store would get really busy because they can can only hire so many people

Laid back atmosphere, amazing management.

Lead Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsGetting to play with animals all day makes any stressful day easier.

ConsCorporate sets stupid goals that don't work on store level.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions that actually work on the store level. The people who make these decisions cannot be sitting behind a desk all day.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!