PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros:
  • "Its fun to work with animals all day Helping out with the adoptions is very fun"
    in 55 reviews
  • "The benefits for full-time hourly employees are quite good for retail"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation"
    in 35 reviews
  • "They hold their Store Managers accountable in theory but don't look down the chain to see what's really going on"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Generally alright if you LOVE animals but under compensated in all areas

Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to care for the animals and give pet parents the right advice so you know the pets are getting a good home.

ConsManagers are rude, plays favorites. Other employees don't care and don't do their jobs. You're under compensated for all the things you're supposed to do as part of the job, including hourly rates and recognition. Other pet care associates sometimes conflict pet advice with you to customers and make the store look bad because people aren't agreeing and are giving out false information.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to the customers and to the employees and recognize when they're doing good work and when they know their stuff.

Decent place

I have been working at PetSmart

ProsIf you like animals and helping them.

ConsManagement, hours and pay are low.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe friendly

N/A

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong foundation for leadership communication

ConsNot always truthful on job status

Pet Stylist then Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PetSmart full-time

ProsGreat benefits, program for college grads, good regional management in my area, good culture toward animals in stores, great charity programs,

Conswork-life balance non-existent, will continue to lose people to better paying jobs, management above regional can make approving needed repairs or being flexible impossible, no real incentive programs for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose big money times are holidays for employee's and their families too. Customers notice the cut corners when stores are not maintained to save money.

Great place to work, not much room for advancement.

Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee)
Plattsburgh, NY

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had great managers and coworkers that made going to work every day easy. Getting time off wasn't hard and they really work to give it to you even if it's short notice. You get to work with animals all day and meet people that love their pets as much as you love your own. The work itself is easy to pick up on and you learn very useful pet information.

ConsIt gets monotonous. You do so much of the same stuff day in and day out that it tends to burn people out. Also, the company isn't the easiest to move up in so if you're thinking of making a career out of the place good luck.

Just because we're a million/billion dollar company, doesn't mean it needs to be run like one.

Lead Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

ProsConsidering how it is a job, I don't get to play with animals all day. But, I spend a majority of my day interacting with them and teaching pet parents new things and that alone is very rewarding.
If you find the right store, you will have a huge family.

ConsThis company is sadly going downhill. I'm noticing more and more outside hires for management and less interactions with the district managers. Just because you come in once every two weeks and see it all happy and dandy, does not mean it is. Actually have one on ones with associates without a manager glaring them down and you might have a better district.
One thing that really is killing this company is how they are handling the HCA. I went from almost 40 hours a week to barely 25 a week. I'm a LEAD, that is supposed to be a full-time position. We have a lot of associates with two jobs because of this and they get yelled at for their availability, but what are they supposed to do?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting our hours. You want us to work hard, do our jobs right, and be helpful to customers? Then give us the hours for it.
Stop hiring from outside and promote within. You think someone should get a promotion but the store they are at has no open spot? Then find them a store. This is how Publix and Target runs their company and you notice how long they have been around?

It was an okay experience...

Cashier/Customer Service/PetCare (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

ProsThe Store Manager was very understanding in all aspects of business. He truly cared about his employees, although, in my particular store the lower management was insufficient, careless, and lazy. Working with animals was not only fun, but also a learning experience. Great job for college students, high school grads, pet enthusiasts, and PetSmart is well known for creating opportunity.

ConsTerrible lower management as noted above, taking care of sick animals although you were not told (or showed) how to properly nourish them leaving a sense of guiltiness. May have just been my individual store, but the environment was slightly hostile and passive aggressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe assertive...It is very simple. If lower management is not meeting (or even coming close) to their' required workload and responsibilities, the Store Manager needs to confront the guilty individual. I witnessed much passive aggressiveness towards lower management when a simple, "Do your job" was all that needed to be stated.

Cuddling puppies all day is not what you do

I have been working at PetSmart

ProsGood pay. As a groomer. Holidays off and benefits

ConsYou will break your back doing the job. Its not easy

Great job but don't become friends with anyone you work with.

Pet Care Manager (Former Employee)
Alvin, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDiscounts on supplies, grooming and training. Great benefits.

ConsMorning shifts start at 530am. Company policy is no fraternization between employees. Dismissed after 3 years of service for socializing with another employee in a different department from mine.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your policies, becoming friends with coworkers stengthens the team and improves customer service as a whole. Too much red tape to cut through when determining what you can and cant do.

It's a different world store to store

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PetSmart

ProsWorking with all the animals within the store and that come in to the stores make the job fun! Also, working with Petsmart Charities is a positive. I felt they were flexible with scheduling.

ConsThe pay wasn't the best and they expect so much more out of you for the pay. Also stiff with benefits, having you constantly work just below full time so you don't gain benefits but work almost as much.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot the brightest for management level

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!

PetSmart Videos

PetSmart – Why Work for Us?

Company Information PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) As the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets, we employ approximately 52,000 associates and operate 1,278 stores and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PetSmart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt. All 786 reviews posted anonymously by PetSmart employees.