PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros:
  • "Its fun to work with animals all day Helping out with the adoptions is very fun"
    in 59 reviews
  • "Excellent medical benefits for full time staff"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "They don't seem to care that you have an over full time college schedule or any other life"
    in 37 reviews
  • "I think three interviews is a little much for a pet care associates"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love of pets keep me there.

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

ProsThere is recognition when you do a good job, there are a few opportunities to move up, you get to see all kinds of wonderful animals and interact with them daily. You have to take charge and be ready. You need a positive attitude to work here!

ConsThe environment can be hostile at times. Sometimes its very noisy for several hours like when the adoption agency are there. You sometimes have to deal with rude customers who think they are right but you can not let it get to you and fuss with them.

Average Company

Dog Groomer (Current Employee)
Kannapolis, NC

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoy working with the dogs and the pay is great for only needing a high school diploma.

ConsMedical leave doesn't kick in until 2 weeks after so if you've had surgery and need to be on bed rest for only 2 weeks, you better use your vacation time because medical won't give you anything. Also, working in a fish tank such as the grooming salon, there tends to be a lot of unnecessary drama, and also the children who bang on the glass.

Advice to Senior ManagementFIX MEDICAL LEAVE!

So-so

Pesentation Management (Former Employee)
Joplin, MO

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

ProsCan be a fun place depending on management

ConsSuffer for shortcomings of other staff members.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unhappy

Associate (Former Employee)
Sand City, CA

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

ProsCompetitive pay, salon manager cared for those under her, safe environment, accommodating to schedules

ConsLittle to no cross training or job advancement. Personal growth is ignored. Time management was extremely poor and schedules were often unannounced until the end of the week. Hours were cut severely in part-time and the competent managers work overtime to make up for the ones that are not. When training new employees or old, they teach them the basics and when the employee does something wrong, they are penalized even if they were not taught how to deal with the situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to be taught how to manage time efficiently. Many problems in the store would be solved.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Generally alright if you LOVE animals but under compensated in all areas

Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to care for the animals and give pet parents the right advice so you know the pets are getting a good home.

ConsManagers are rude, plays favorites. Other employees don't care and don't do their jobs. You're under compensated for all the things you're supposed to do as part of the job, including hourly rates and recognition. Other pet care associates sometimes conflict pet advice with you to customers and make the store look bad because people aren't agreeing and are giving out false information.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to the customers and to the employees and recognize when they're doing good work and when they know their stuff.

Decent place

I have been working at PetSmart

ProsIf you like animals and helping them.

ConsManagement, hours and pay are low.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe friendly

N/A

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong foundation for leadership communication

ConsNot always truthful on job status

Pet Stylist then Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PetSmart full-time

ProsGreat benefits, program for college grads, good regional management in my area, good culture toward animals in stores, great charity programs,

Conswork-life balance non-existent, will continue to lose people to better paying jobs, management above regional can make approving needed repairs or being flexible impossible, no real incentive programs for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose big money times are holidays for employee's and their families too. Customers notice the cut corners when stores are not maintained to save money.

Great place to work, not much room for advancement.

Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee)
Plattsburgh, NY

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had great managers and coworkers that made going to work every day easy. Getting time off wasn't hard and they really work to give it to you even if it's short notice. You get to work with animals all day and meet people that love their pets as much as you love your own. The work itself is easy to pick up on and you learn very useful pet information.

ConsIt gets monotonous. You do so much of the same stuff day in and day out that it tends to burn people out. Also, the company isn't the easiest to move up in so if you're thinking of making a career out of the place good luck.

Just because we're a million/billion dollar company, doesn't mean it needs to be run like one.

Lead Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

ProsConsidering how it is a job, I don't get to play with animals all day. But, I spend a majority of my day interacting with them and teaching pet parents new things and that alone is very rewarding.
If you find the right store, you will have a huge family.

ConsThis company is sadly going downhill. I'm noticing more and more outside hires for management and less interactions with the district managers. Just because you come in once every two weeks and see it all happy and dandy, does not mean it is. Actually have one on ones with associates without a manager glaring them down and you might have a better district.
One thing that really is killing this company is how they are handling the HCA. I went from almost 40 hours a week to barely 25 a week. I'm a LEAD, that is supposed to be a full-time position. We have a lot of associates with two jobs because of this and they get yelled at for their availability, but what are they supposed to do?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting our hours. You want us to work hard, do our jobs right, and be helpful to customers? Then give us the hours for it.
Stop hiring from outside and promote within. You think someone should get a promotion but the store they are at has no open spot? Then find them a store. This is how Publix and Target runs their company and you notice how long they have been around?

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!

PetSmart Videos

PetSmart – Why Work for Us?

Company Information PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) As the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets, we employ approximately 52,000 associates and operate 1,278 stores and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PetSmart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt. All 792 reviews posted anonymously by PetSmart employees.