PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros:
  • "Its fun to work with animals all day Helping out with the adoptions is very fun"
    in 59 reviews
  • "Excellent medical benefits for full time staff"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "They don't seem to care that you have an over full time college schedule or any other life"
    in 37 reviews
  • "I think three interviews is a little much for a pet care associates"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Family-style Workplace

Cashier Lead (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pets are a driving factor in the positive attitudes within the company. My store in particular has a very close family vibe that I am going to miss greatly when I move on to new professional endeavors.

ConsThe customers and the pay are the only two things that can be complained about. My managers have done what they can to get me the best wages possible, but in a retail setting you cannot expect much in regards to salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to learn to be a bit more aggressive in their coaching. The laidback management style tends to lead to a lot of issues that gradually escalate and could have been prevented.

Great experience, great people, and amazing animals

Petsmart Petshotel Associate (Former Employee)
Tustin, CA

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

ProsIf you love animals and animal lovers, petsmart is for you. The environment is great, everyone's super friendly, and it was amazing to get to work with the animals

ConsNot much safety with chemicals, masks are provided but not required. Also not much safety with the dogs, there were a few people that were injured by bites because they let in aggressive dogs

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the workers to see how to improve the environment

Management

Manager (Former Employee)
Tacoma, WA

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, employees, and Store Management. Best part was assisting and helping all the Pet Parents and working with their pets

ConsConstant Senior management change. Never following policy, just what they felt policy should be

Advice to Senior ManagementGet DM's and above on the same sheet of music

Groomer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PetSmart

ProsThe dogs and the enjoyment of working with the different breeds.

ConsYou dont get respect from management and not worth the pay

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

Love the Guest and the Animals, but you can not trust any District Managers!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe guest and working with the animals were great. The benefits kept me there far longer than I should of stayed.

ConsMy District Manager would come in and say one thing and then come in and say something else. He could never give positive feedback, it was ALWAYS negative feedback. I always felt like he was very unhappy with his job so he was going to make everyone else very unhappy with their work. I have been in retail for sometime and I have never worked for a company where I felt so heavyhearted everyday coming home. There was never anything to look forward to when coming to work. It is all about the numbers and about what the upper management wanted yet when they come in the store they have no clue what it take to run a store. Would not recommend working for a company that would rather give negative feedback then try and encourage and to show their employees that they are a very valuable part of the company, instead of being no better than garbage that can be tossed away and can bring in someone else. Eventually they will run out of people that don't want to be treated like garbage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your management staff like you would want to be treated. There are companies out there that know how to treat their employees with respect, take a page from their book. Just because you are in the retail business does not give you the right to treat anyone with disrespect. You want your customers to be treated with respect and act like they matter, then start at the top with how you treat your employees and maybe it will trickle down to your guest. OSAT numbers lie, that is not really how people think, get out behind your desk, put on some real close and actually go out into the stores and work and you will see how hard it really is too please every single guest. You have no clue what it is like to work in a store with a negative district manager and to try and stay positive. When making changes that don't effect you, but effect the stores, then go out to the stores and try them out for your self and make sure they work before you expect others to do them and then reprimand them when they don't. At one time, I assume, you worked in retail go back to that time and know what it feels like. How did it feel l to work 50-60 hours a week, to miss out on your kids activities, be late for dinner, never sleep. Then to come to work every single day to someone that can not say one positive thing to you. Really makes your job not worth it, and I can honestly say that at one time I thought working at PetSmart would be my dream job but I am so glad I am no longer there.

It was very disappointing.

EARLY MORNING STOCKER (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

ProsOnce someone learns a routine, he/she will be set for the duration of time worked in his/her position.

ConsFor the amount of work put in, the pay does not reciprocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLifting employees up, instead of beating them down, can improve work flow and bring a positive influence into the working environment.

current worker that is fed up.

Bather (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Prossometimes ican leave early.and associates are actually really nice.

Conswhat a terrible place to work. do not EVER apply for the bathing position in harlem location,unless of course u like working with rude,lazy,vulgar sneaky snakes for coworkers. and also if u love picking up everyones slack and being a maid,this is the job for you. its perfect if u want to work ur ass off and have little to no aknowledgment.

Advice to Senior Managementbe professional. ive been called names, ive been cursed at,ive been talked down to in a "joking" manner. if i called corporate u would all be fired.

Not the most secure job.

Petshotel Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

ProsFun environment, a lot of trust and space to manager the hotel without much oversight.

ConsA bad or lazy hotel manager can completely ruin the job. Company has surprisingly high turnover for retail managers. Last 9 managers hired in district came from outside the company, including myself, so not much room for growth. You are on call 24/7/365 with this job (overnight employees)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of toxic managers

Loved my work not my compensation!

Department Manager (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLoved every thing I did at Pet Smart Customer Service, Pets, Inventory, Stocking, Care of Pets, Associates, Customer Issues, and the list goes on.

ConsPet Smart did not pay associates or managers enough to live on for what the company expects out of them. Everyone lives pay check to pay check except the store manager and above.
Pet Smart was hiring Store managers from outside the company, that had no idea what they were doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring head managers from outside and promote from within.

low paying, bad hours, poor management

Dog Groomer (Former Employee)

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Prosbeing around animals can be fun

Consmin. wage
poor work/life balance
high turnover
lots of drama

Advice to Senior Managementreward the people who work hard and listen when there is a person who is causing serious problems with more than one employee. Part timers should not work 7 days in a row and not get full time hours

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!

PetSmart Videos

PetSmart – Why Work for Us?

Company Information PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) As the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets, we employ approximately 52,000 associates and operate 1,278 stores and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PetSmart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt. All 787 reviews posted anonymously by PetSmart employees.