PetSmart

3.2
1,218 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Associate

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Great people, good management, flexible with student schedules, good discounts

Cons

Retail- late hours for holidays, cleaning up after pets

Listen to staff and assist with issues in store

Horrible Place To Work

Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Houston, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Got to work hands on with dogs, fun ride while it lasted.

Cons

If you notice.....they are always hiring members of management...hmm...I wonder why??? This place when I left was literally under water. Poor lack of management, lack of leadership, way too much gossiping going around and I can honestly go on and on about how horrible my last few years were there. I don't recommend this particular store at all. Maybe at a different location things may be better and different.

Learn to appreciate your employees and value them as people....not as NUMBERS!! Corporate spends way too much time concentrating on simply just quotas and crunching numbers. Take some time out of your "busy" schedule to get to know your employees and form a great mutual bond. Cuz at the end of the day those employees are the ones who push the company foward....not your fancy tablets and laptops.

Enjoyable, easy to learn and repetitive.

Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Humble, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to meet new people each day. These people bring in some interesting animals from time to time. Meeting others with the same pet interests as you is always a fun experience. Also the exchange of knowledge about pets from the customers can be valuable not only to help other customers but yourself with your own pets.

Cons

There are too many grey areas inside some of the policy's that gives managers a change to favor or punish employees depending on your relationship with them. Scheduling is the biggest problem that I have heard about from most stores including the one I was at. They never seem to get that right. Because of this many shifts seem to be understaffed which makes working very difficult when you have to get something finished by a certain time. This also leads to why the turnover rate at the stores are so bad.

Corporate seems to have things going correctly. In my experience when corporate officials arrived things got done. The problem seems to be with the people they hire to manage their stores they don't care as much about the store as corporate does. With the pay difference I can see why. My only advice would be the management needs to separate trying to be buddy buddy with associates and being their manager. Things get too comfortable and then things don't get done.

Great place to work, but not forever

Current Employee - Cashier in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at PetSmart (more than a year)

Pros

Easy to learn duties, pretty easy to pick up shifts. Great atmosphere, easy job to get. Work with your schedule for school or other jobs. Decent starting pay, regular raises. Closed on most holidays. Awesome job for anyone who loves animals.

Cons

Not easy to move up within the company, or become full time. Tend to do a lot more duties than what you should have to in regards to what your pay is.

Favoritism is the word

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Getting to talk to associates and pet parents that share the same interests and passions as you do is a win-win for both you and them. It's different than most companies in that you actually build a relationship with a lot of the pet parents and they look forward to seeing you when they come in, the pets especially look forward to seeing you, and you look forward to seeing them.

Cons

Leadership is preached to the management staff but is not followed by the "leadership". They say they "CARE" about the associates but if you stray from the plan or the vision you get pushed out. District managers, as much as they try and deny it, have their favorite stores and favorite managers, and it is readily apparent during meetings and conference calls. Payroll is cut to the bone such that daily essential tasks barely get done and there is no one available on the sales floor to assist customers.

Awesome!!!!

Current Employee - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This job is the best job I ever had. I work in the pethotel and if you love dogs this is the job to have everyone is very nice I love my co-workers and my managers. There is never any kind of hostility in the work environment.

Cons

The only con is that the pay is not that much starting out, but if your willing to work its not that hard to get promoted.

Fun work but not always enough support from company

Former Employee - Bather in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bather in Houston, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is fun working with the animals (dogs only at the salon that I was at) and communicating with the pet parents. Great experience because it teaches you to manage your time, as you are expected to have dogs ready within a certain amount of time.

Cons

They are becoming more strict about following new, very specific company policies which make the job more difficult to do and do not seem to make a positive difference. Also, groomers and bathers must purchase a lot of their own tools (especially if you want them to be quality). Have to be careful working with animals as they can become violent or aggressive even if the pet parent does not mention this when asked.

Support those working in the salon and allow some flexibility, also provide more tools so that bathers do not have to purchase their own tools. Ask for suggestions from salon staff and try to work to accommodate that, as it is hard to understand the challenges of working in the salon if you never have before and some frustrating decisions are made by upper level management at times.

Was Great!!!

Former Employee - Bather in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Bather in Pearland, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice employees, managers, actually cared, clean store, I loved working with the animals. The customers were nice and the pay was ok.

Cons

The training was to long, not enough hours for good paycheck. I really don't have anything bad to say about them.

Overall good experience

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really friendly environment. The jobs were organized well and completed efficiently

Cons

Sometimes they would leave you alone up at the front with 10 customers waiting in line, and no one would respond when you called for assistance.

Don't leave new employees alone to deal with so many customers. Also, try and figure out an issue before you get mad at the people around you.

Great job but don't become friends with anyone you work with.

Former Employee - Pet Care Manager in Alvin, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Care Manager in Alvin, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on supplies, grooming and training. Great benefits.

Cons

Morning shifts start at 530am. Company policy is no fraternization between employees. Dismissed after 3 years of service for socializing with another employee in a different department from mine.

Rethink your policies, becoming friends with coworkers stengthens the team and improves customer service as a whole. Too much red tape to cut through when determining what you can and cant do.