PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Jul 24, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team(in 65 reviews)

• Worked as a hotel employee for two years - great hours (usually full time hours), long shifts(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation(in 44 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department(in 38 reviews)

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great culture filled with opportunity for growth and a sense of accomplishment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEach person has a job that is critical to the success of the company
    The C-Suite is down in the trenches working side-by-side with you on current issues
    Collaborative environment
    You can bring your pet to work each Friday
    Family movie night each month

ConsThe pay is not the best, but it is on par with the industry

Low pay for being responsible of lives

Petsmart PetsHotel Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsOne on one animal interaction, connection with pet parents, unique experiences with many animals, good store flow interactions.

ConsPoop lots of weird poop, Lots of cleaning and chemicals, Low pay, Easily replaceable, Not much room for promotion, Labor not equal

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust pay according to what each area has to do in terms of labor.

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood Training, Talented People, Great perks

ConsThere are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to move around the office and visit with your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Losing its culture

Project Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNice campus
    Respectful of diversity of backgrounds
    Work life balance. (For most positions)
    Fun activities- but you are expected to make up the work

ConsPeople promoted beyond their capability making bad decisions, and surrounding themselves with yes men.
    Really poor leaders promoted until they can do no more damage
    Lack of accountability for some positions

Advice to Senior ManagementFor Director and VP, show some backbone, hold people accountable, Dont let bullys win.

Overall great company to intern with!

Intern (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWilling to fly me out to work at their corporate office as an intern, and pay for my summer housing, along with paying me hourly.

ConsNothing yet has come up.

Good place to start; not to stay

Lead Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFriendly work environment, work with animals, good chance to gain retail experience. The various departments offer a range of learning experiences and tools that can be used later on in future endeavors.

ConsSub-par pay, not enough advancement opporunities. Had to leave after I did not receive a raise that I felt I deserved after three years with the company. A 20 to 30 cent raise every 6 months just won't cut it.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are friendly enough, but should do a better job of leading by example.

PetSmart is a great place to work with immense focus on employee development and career growth

Consumables Vendor Analyst (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsPetSmart has a fast paced, high energy environment.

ConsThe biggest downside to working at PetSmart is having to live in Phoenix, which is the reason I ultimately left the company.

petcare manager

Petcare Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood company culture, good company ethics, and I get to work with pets.

Consdealing with the general public but then again that is all retail lol

Advice to Senior Managementstop paying outside hires more than internal promotions

Very few growth opportunities.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEmployees genuinely care about pets. Good work life balance. The office is empty after 5pm.

ConsPoor leadership at the Director and Vice President levels. Very few growth opportunities below the Vice President level. Senior leadership places very little value on education.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace a larger emphasis on education and career advancement.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFantastic retail. Customers want to be there. Associates want to work there. Company is dedicated to the lifetime care of pets.

ConsUsual retail nonsense. Conference calls, manage by spreadsheet.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clearer understanding for the work load in the stores

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!