PetSmart Reviews

3.2
1,354 Reviews
PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

pet stylist

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Benifits, great people that love animals

Cons

No music in store any more

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

friendly staff and customers, safe environment, clean, overall no complaints

Cons

not enough hours and wage is minimum, not much room for growth

3. It was good

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Working with animals is great. I was happy to be a part of the PetsMart team. Get a job at petsmart!

Cons

There weren't many bad things about working here. Upper level management could have been better, but it is a large company, so these things are expected.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

5. boarding or daycare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holbrook, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holbrook, NY

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

love animals have ten of my own worked in this profession fifteen years

Cons

really cant just love pets

Advice to Management

very dependable able to work weekends..

6. PetSmart

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

great environment, customers are very friendly, pets are awesome, pay is very competetive

Cons

no job security, broken open door policy, absent training

Advice to Management

fix the open door policy and hold upper management accountable before you have a lawsuit on your hands for not following policy

7. Must love animals and be able to deal with customers

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Great coworkers, animals help make your day.

Cons

Customers are usually hard to deal with.

8. Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Was a low stress reasonable paying job while in college. Got pretty good discounts while working there.

Cons

In general the only cons are same cons that working in any retail job would have: kind of low pay, hours could be unpredictable, working with some younger unprofessional employees.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The store I worked for was great! We were all like family, managers are were great and our store manager was always available when we needed anything. The operations manager was great, he really appreciated if employees would just talk to him prior to schedules being made in order to give us the hours we needed for the pay week. He was always flexible especially with my schedule since I have small children.

Cons

The company would at times cut hours this was terrible especially for those of us who relied on the extra money.

10. Cashier/pet care associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Willing to work with schedule and always looking for help

Cons

Managers hardly ever get in trouble even if they're in the wrong

Advice to Management

Make the managers more responsible for their actions and get rid of people who cause problems

11. Great for animal lovers

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for retail. The people who work there are generally nice and upbeat and people who aren't weed themselves out quickly. I love everyone I work with. There were a couple of people when I started that were pretty pessimistic or didn't like animals, but they left quickly.
    If you love animals and need a part-time or retail job, this is a great place to work.
    If you do well you get periodic reviews and can get a raise and if you let them know you want to move up in the company, they will start working with you immediately.
    The animals are well taken care of in the store.
    I've listed a few cons, but I believe the pros outweigh them. I was surprised how much I enjoy working for this company. I expected working in retail to be terrible, but it's been an enjoyable experience for me. Obviously this can vary from store to store based on the management.

Cons

Corporate bureaucracy. As with any job that's for a big, for-profit company there are some things that you are required to do for profit reasons that you may not agree with.
    Although they pay well for a retail company, if you work part-time you can only get up to 28 hours per week, which you really can't live off of, so if you can't get full-time it is best as a supplemental/temporary job unless you let them know you want to advance and they can move you into a position as a lead or assistant manager.
    Initial training is not very thorough for Pet Care Associates. Most of your knowledge of animal care and species will come slowly over time through work and other employees.
    Customers will come in and purchase animals that they are clearly unprepared or unwilling to care for properly and you cannot refuse to sell an animal to them. The only time you can refuse is if you know they will be buying a non-feeder animal for the purposes of feeding (ex: a live mouse cannot be sold to feed to a snake, only comet goldfish, rosy minnows, and crickets can be sold for live feeding). I know I have been unable to refuse to sell fish and a couple of small animals to people when I knew the tanks or habitats they had were inadequate and could be bad for the animal's health or happiness (or death in the case of fish in an inadequately sized aquarium). We do, however do our best to discourage these people from buying the animals or give other options, but often people do not take our warnings seriously.
    Since the company was sold recently, there have been some changes for the purposes of "efficiency" some are good and some are not so good, like having less staff on shifts to perform greater amounts of work, but this generally comes with any company being sold that way.

Advice to Management

Allow more hours for part-time employees. You have a great company environment and it would be easier to retain your good employees by letting them earn more money. A good employee can really only use this as a stepping stone to a better position and is likely to be able to find another full-time position quickly and leave the company if they can't make a living.