PetSmart

3.2
1,280 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Great part time job while going to school

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay, get to learn about different animals and see dogs all day

Cons

My biggest frustration was working with people who didn't care about the job and would call in constantly and management wouldn't do anything about it.

Great place to work if you are looking for a good atmosphere and exciting brand

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Attracts good people. Fun brand.

Cons

Comp plans are probably below industry average.

Nothing but the BEST

Current Employee - Presentation Manager in Waynesboro, VA
    Current Employee - Presentation Manager in Waynesboro, VA

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

True open door policy with management. A company that believes and lives the hype. Not hard to be passionate about animals. Tons of room for upward mobility and capacity to cross train in multiple departments. Very fun work environment.

Cons

Training: they provide the tools to do the job, but not the time. Lack of consistency between management.

Wish part-time associates could take part in the bonuses it may help improve their performance and help drive sales.

Good

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Good environment, fun job also.

Cons

Customers, some are very irritating at times

Higher pay.

Really good experience

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

You get to learn about everything, I knew nothing when I started 6 months ago now I know almost everything that has to do with pet care , register & now I'm a bather too . It's really an awesome job and my coworkers are great too .

Cons

Rude customers , very rarely though . & the work load can sometimes be a bit much. Some managers literally don't do anything when the boss isn't there which is frustrating but if that's my biggest complaint with my job I'm happy !

Scheduling needs to be better , there's no one on the schedule when we need back up, but 2 people for each part of the store when we don't need back up

Love What I Do For This Company

Current Employee - Certified Dog Trainer in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Certified Dog Trainer in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love Working With Animals

Cons

Needs a Better Salary Rate

The only job I've ever had where I love being at work.

Current Employee - Cashier in Johnston, RI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Johnston, RI

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Seeing puppies everyday, getting involved with adoption events, fostering dogs, discount

Cons

Small discount, constantly moves management around, never enough hours

Petsmart and it's employees are great, their benefits package is very helpful.

Current Employee - Bather in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Bather in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are friendly and genuinely enjoy their job

Cons

Customers uneducated in basic animal care and tend to believe they know better without hesitation

Doing great!

Great Culture=Great Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart (less than a year)

Pros

Interns are respected, work on core aspects of the business, and are only given to departments that have specific objectives. This criteria ensures that the work and mentorship is present and meaningful. The culture is one of teamwork, face-to-face interaction, and information sharing. If you ask for a meeting with anyone, or just stop by their desk, most people will drop what they are doing to help you, or refer you to the right people. All employees are particularly receptive to their summer interns and love doing informational interviews. The internship program also plans a community service event through partners of PetSmart Charities, social events outside of work, workshops for professional development, a lunch with the CEO, and weekly lunches with the whole cohort.

Average tenure for employees is between 5-10 years. Many have also worked in retail previously and are therefore humble and understand all aspects of how the business works on the front and back end. If your team has a great experience with you, then they will likely make you a full time offer.

Also, puppies. Seriously, the company let's you bring your pets to the office and people bring their foster puppies everyday!

Cons

For interns coming from out of town, know that it's a full time 40hr work week for 10 weeks during the hottest time of the year in a desert city. Pack/plan accordingly. That being said, you will be inside all the time and will be able to wear jeans and a nice shirt in the office without melting. Out-of-towners will also need a reliable/cheap place to stay and a car. The company does not provide any of those things for you. Try to find another out-of-state intern who is also looking for a roommate. One intern last year had a great experience doing an extended stay through AirBnB.

The summer after I concluded my internship, PetSmart was bought by a private group and will now experience changes in their organizational structure. This might mean less jobs for outside applicants, but there will also be more opportunities available to younger team members if you're hired out of the intern pool. Despite what the critics say, PetSmart is still the largest player in the one of the most promising industries. They will always need good people with fresh ideas.

Thanks for showing your support for the interns by attending the final presentations! It was a great confidence booster to know you were in the audience sharing your time.

It is great working here

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Lots of interaction with animals, good management

Cons

Some of the customers in the area that I worked in just wanted to complain, would not accept customer service or any help given to them

Treat your employees like people and not numbers!