PetSmart Reviews

Reset
3.2
PetSmart President & CEO Michael Massey
Michael Massey

Pros
  • Working with animals care culture (in 97 reviews)

• Excellent medical benefits for full time staff (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting full time is next to impossible (in 58 reviews)

• I definitely also believe the Pet Care responsibilities are very high for the min (in 50 reviews)

1,582 Employee Reviews

1. Awesome Employer

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Easy to work for, great management team. Flexible hours, able to get as many hours as I needed/wanted.

Cons

Sometimes didn't get as many hours as I'd like but easy to resolve.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

HR

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Was a good culture. The animals add a different dimension that most retail does not share. The associates and customers are passionate and generally happy to work or shop there.

Cons

Recent acquisition is changing the dynamic and eliminating a number of positions and the entire set of upper management has been replaced by Pay Less shoe managers. Shoes and animals--not quite the same thing

3. Cashier

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't know if it's just the great staff at the store I work at, but I love going to work! The customers and the animals make every day a good day at work. It helps to have a basic knowledge of product background (such as the pros and cons of the different food brands, what types of toys are for what type of dog, etc) or just be willing to ask questions and do research. It's not required at all but it's good to know what you're talking about and it feels good to be knowledgable with customers! The pay starts above minimum wage and the hours aren't so bad. I'm part time and some days are 5 hour days, others are 8 hour days. Ultimately if you have a passion for animals and are a people person, I definitely recommend PetSmart as your employer!

Cons

Standing for 8 hours (minus two breaks and a lunch) can be very tough on your legs/feet, so opt for very comfortable/supportive shoes!

5. Dog Groomer/"Pet Stylist"

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Conway, AR

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid 50% commission OR hourly, whichever is higher. Having a bad week here won't mean you can't pay your light bill. Paid vacation, discretionary, and sick time.

Cons

Working practically every holiday. Petsmart closes for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas day, but be prepared to work Christmas eve, Black Friday, Easter, Memorial Day, the 4th of July... Doesn't allow for much family time around the holidays. Blackout dates from mid-November through December don't even allow associates to use their vacation time around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Advice to Management

Give employees more incentive to meet your sales goals. We don't get a bonuses from corporate like you do. We don't get anything.

6. Amazing place to work

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

- I had amazing coworkers - There were opportunities for advancement - Working with animals and pet parents - Great management - Flexible scheduling - You can have as many or as few hours as you want

Cons

- Working different hours, different days every week - The occasional irate customer - Grooming salon was high stress and high drama; much preferred the PetsHotel

Advice to Management

More consistency in employee's schedules so people can balance work and life better. Starting pay at above minimum wage with more frequent reviews (opportunity for raises.)

7. Cashier

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

worked with great people and enjoyed working there

Cons

scheduling was a problem at times

8. Great Environment!

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

My coworkers are awesome. They are always supportive and outgoing. The management makes workers better by focusing on their positive features instead of highlighting the negatives.

Cons

I cant think of any.

9. PetCare Associate

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- There are dogs pretty much everywhere - You generally work with a fun group - You get to share your knowledge of animals - The work itself is simple

Cons

- If you don't really love animals it's not going to be worth it - A lot of the set tasking times are too short for the work to be done in - Animals get sick, it happens, but it's sometimes sad or contagious - Terrible customers who basically want you to tell them abusing their animal is okay - A lot of the chance at moving up has been taken away by recent changes

Advice to Management

Try actually upholding the right to refuse sales. Understand that customers take time and the reason a task might not be done is because of a particularly long customer interaction. If you've never been in pet care, know that we have actual work we have to do daily and don't always have time when you assign us outside tasking.

10. I am a lead cashier, but I also work stock, pet care and I also volunteer with the cat adoption center in the store.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warminster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warminster, PA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love being around animals. Most times, you get to see a lot of the rescue animals that come in.

Cons

For the most part, I love working at Petsmart. Sometimes, though you get some of the younger workers who don't seem to have a very good work ethic - calling out a lot, showing up late, etc.

11. Store Manager

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Great place to work. Great benefits and salary.

Cons

Not enough support from upper management.

Advice to Management

Follow through on all tasks and always communicate with upper management.

Showing 1,582 of 1,584 reviews