PetSmart Reviews

3.3
1,029 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 83 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Still a retail job, hard to get to full time if you aren't a groomer or manager (in 50 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work while an undergrad

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

You'll have a blast working here if you work with the right people, plus taking care of animals is always fun especially if you're an animal lover

Cons

Sometimes have to do cart runs under the rain

If you love connecting with pet lovers and their pets, this is the place for you!

Current Employee - Petshotel Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Petshotel Assistant Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As Assistant Manager in the PetsHotel, I can honestly say that I look forward to going to work every day. How could I not love taking care of people's dogs and cats? Developing relationships with "regulars" who bring their dogs to daycamp a few times a week is rewarding. It is extremely gratifying when people trust you with the care of their beloved pets--especially when they've been coming to the PetsHotel/Doggie Daycamp for years. When they recommend your business to their friends, you really feel like you're doing something right.

If you work hard, don't cut corners, and always try to "do the right thing" for customers and their pets, you will be rewarded and supported by your managers. PetSmart's open door policy makes it easy to feel comfortable bringing any concerns you may have to management.

Additionally, PetSmart has a history of taking care of its employees with excellent benefit programs. Hopefully, this will continue, despite the recent Wall Street machinations of activist investor Jana Funds.

Cons

In management, it is preferred that you have open availability, and this means you don't enjoy a set weekly schedule. Because of this, planning ahead in other areas of your life can be difficult.

Also, recent pressure from activist investor Jana Funds to increase shareholder payout makes me concerned that our company (which has always treated its employees well and upheld a high level of integrity) may end up sacrificing the long term strength of this company (and the good of its employees)--for the sake of short term financial gain for shareholders. A "quick buck" for certain investors may cause the degradation of a steadily growing, reputable, debt-free company. I worry about how this will affect employees at store level.

If at all possible, don't sell out your ideals for the sake of a quick buck for activist shareholders. Maintain a view for the future.

Should and could be inspiring, but not

Former Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pet parents and their pets really do come first. You can make a real difference to pets' and peoples' lives every day. There's a true commitment to giving back to the community on many levels and they're finally tooting their own horn about it. Great colleagues and good benefits. The senior team is great.

Cons

There are so many layers of management and each layer has to make its mark. Lots of micromanaging people. Little recognition for lots of effort. Seems to be getting worse. Hard to move from one area of the business to another.

Trim out a few layers of middle managers. Ensure middle managers walk the walk and talk the talk. Give individual contributors more responsibility and recognition.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company to work for!

Former Employee - Pet Trainer Instructor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Pet Trainer Instructor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart as a contractor

Pros

It's fun to work for a company that has friendly, helpful people and has great leadership. Bringing your pet to work is fun and inspiring.

Cons

Working at PetSmart was a very positive experience. The stores are clean and well organized. The managers are focused on providing a great experience for customers and pets.

The company should add smaller stores in smaller markets to better compete with the specialty pet stores that are popping up all over the place.

I loved working for a company that I felt good about.

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

PetSmart Charities.
    Good management. It seems as if the right people are being promoted to management (at least in my area)
    Working with pets every day

Cons

Low pay. They also move management from store to store frequently with little regard for their personal preferences. No pay offered for high mileage to work

Keep it up with PetSmart Charities. Very admirable

The staff was very friendly and I enjoyed working there.

Current Employee - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate  in  Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate in Whittier, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team members, Fair hours and pay, working with animals

Cons

Picking up dog poop and pee but if you have pets this shouldn't be a problem.

Sales Assosiate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very fun job, cute animals, very flexible, good co workers

Cons

Not a lot of hours

Spend more money, communacation.

Nice

Former Employee - Pet Products Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Pet Products Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management and employees get along.

Cons

They need to give more hours.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Bather  in  Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Bather in Evanston, IL

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits Took safety of animals seriously.

Cons

Corporate rules. Grooming salon is very catty.

Environment is nice to work if you love animals and want to learn more about them.

Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist  in  Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company does help give you growth for your income and occasional chances at moving up in the company. There are always new products being introduced at the company that are some of the best pet products you can buy. The job itself keeps you busy, and time to interact with your coworkers and customers.

Cons

There is usually gossip going around the store, giving the impression of people being too nosy. Customers can get pushy and frustrated if you can't help them with their problems. The cat food and dog food is subpar compared to products that are available at other pet stores.

Make more incentives for employees to want to get ahead. Hiring younger employees tends to breed pettiness and unreliability often times. Seek out better options for nutrition and supplies for the animals.

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!