PetSmart Reviews

Reset
3.2
PetSmart President & CEO Michael Massey
Michael Massey

Pros
  • Working with animals care culture (in 97 reviews)

• Excellent medical benefits for full time staff (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting full time is next to impossible (in 58 reviews)

• I definitely also believe the Pet Care responsibilities are very high for the min (in 50 reviews)

1,504 Employee Reviews

Previous Focus had better Work-Life Balance

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Work with some great peers, decent pay structure, no weekends at the office, flexibility with certain bosses.

Cons

Current focus post buyout has not been on maintaining the balance between work and life outside of PetSmart driven by senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Maintain some of the key culture components that made the employees happy to go to work everyday while working hard for the company.

I loved PetSmart!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are all about team work. They help you whenever you need. If you work hard, you get a raise every few months. After a couple of years, you get promoted to either management, or a customer lead in your department (the best thing next to management). They offer the highest pay in retail so far and I've worked 4 years in retail, sales, and customer service. It has been my favorite place to work so far of any job I've had.

Cons

There were not enough full-time positions available company-wide. The hours are not set regularly. They vary from week to week if you are part time, which didn't work for me because I needed a set income based on my expenses.

3. Great company!

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people make the culture and having a sustainable business model always helped.

Cons

Questionable direction with new leadership in terms of strategy and the new culture that they may implement.

Advice to Management

Don't completely dismiss what made PetSmart great for so long and a big part of that is the people and their tribal knowledge. The business goal doesn't change so try not to reinvent the wheel, only refine it.

5. Store Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shiloh, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shiloh, IL

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PetSmart is a fun place to work. Employees and customers have a passion for pets.

Cons

Managers spend a lot of time tasking and running a cash register due to limited labor budget.

6. PetSmart

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

You get to see pets of all shapes and sizes come into the store! Pets that are ready to be bought or adopted, and pets that are brought in by their owners. Co-workers learn about the various pets and help each other understand the various pets or food that we sell to our pets. There is a training program that helps you understand a few of the the different foods that are sold in the store.

Cons

Like all stores, you have to look out for people who will be trying to steal from the company; from shop-lifting to returning stolen items. This can make you want to distrust your customers, which I don't like personally. However, if you have a big heart and are able to handle those customers, then I hope you can give some hope or light or whatever to your co-workers. Some get very frustrated and even have a grumpy attitude because of how many customer they have to deal with per day that drain their energy.

Advice to Management

My manager have been great. So I can't give them advice.

7. Stocker

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Fun place to work, especially with the animals

Cons

Can only be part time

Great job I'm thankful for.

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

You will be trained in multiple departments, get plenty of hands-on experience, and fundamental product knowledge learning skills that not only benefit you within the company. I was hired on as a Pet Care Specialist 1 year and 4 months ago. I've been trained on register, pet products(stocking), and as a bather in the grooming salon as well. Time with animals is always, well, interesting; one way or another, for lack of a better term.

Cons

Labor hours, department coverage, and any raises you do get are dependent on one thing: OSAT, our customer survey. If OSATs are crap; then hours, coverage, raises, and the like will be crap. (Admittedly through no fault of store-level management). This makes it incredibly hard to rebound from a bad week. Also, the corporate changes and price gouging don't make my job any easier.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see this company grow. It's been a pleasure working for PetSmart. That's not going to happen unless corporate gets some backbone. Customers want customer service, not limited human interaction through AOS, ISPU, and merely "offering" assistance. If I'm going to help someone, I will take my time with them. Not push them along like a conveyor belt. If a customer is impatient, that is not my fault. I am willing to devote the same amount of attention and respect to everyone, but it seems like you feel compelled to produce a method of measurement for said attention and respect. When you put a material value on immaterial interaction, that's when the system fails the customer.

Love working here!

Current Employee - Dog Trainer in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Dog Trainer in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Associates are always willing to help each other out. Super friendly and always smiling. They always point out what you're doing RIGHT on the job! And if you need to do something better, they tell you in a supportive and helpful way. It's never demanding or rude. Absolutely love working here! Sure, the customers may be a bit irritating at times, but the co-workers will always pull their weight!

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the stress that comes with any retail job. Customers aren't always respectful.

Eh, good first job

Former Employee - Pet Care Lead in Slidell, LA
    Former Employee - Pet Care Lead in Slidell, LA

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Good atmosphere of people to work with.

Cons

Cleaning. Cleaning. Cleaning. And people.

Advice to Management

Get off your butt and help out with truck because you make more then EVERY ONE busting their butts to meet your goals.

Great College Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are willing to work around school. Good environment. Very relaxed job. Satisfaction in your work

Cons

Lower pay. Management doesn't make much more than hourly employees, with store managers and ops managers being the exception. They also don't offer full time. I've known employees there for 7+ years still trying to get full time.

Showing 1,504 of 1,514 reviews