PetSmart Reviews

3.2
1,090 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 92 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • They are eliminating many full-time positions to avoid paying vacations and healthcare (in 53 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful place to work!

Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for PetSmart for about three years and really enjoy working there! They were absolutely wonderful about working around my school schedule while I was in college and my schedule was crazy! I've worked at two different stores in the three years I've been with the company, and have found that both stores are different, mainly because of the different managers and their management styles. I have really enjoyed working with the pets as well as the pet parents! PetSmart does give a 15% discount to employees, which I have found extremely helpful since I have a dog and now a fish. Everyone is willing to pitch in and help out, especially when the registers get backed up!

Cons

The biggest challenge I have found working there is the speed which you have to be able to work. It is a bit faster than I am comfortable working, but I have managed to do well there. I wish I had regular hours, but since it is a retail job, I understand that's not possible.

Okay place

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

If you love working with animals

Cons

Better pay would be nice

Easy easy easy

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

PetSmart is just like any other corporate company. I worked in the pet hotel. Their training is simple enough and the employees there seem to enjoy their job.

Cons

Getting full time is next to impossible. I literally had to bug my manager to tears to even consider full time. Benefits are only for full timers, and I needed them. They would rather hire two part timers rather than a full timer. Typical corporate policies. They act like they care about the employees, but when it comes down to it, your just as replaceable as a cracked fish tank.

Great place to work.

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Ability for dog lovers to work exclusively with dogs and management is employee-friendly; great benefits; can move into management if so desire.

Cons

Positions are limited and little room for expanding compensation in certain areas. Huge corporation, so limited a bit by company policy and procedure.

Good company that has a heart.

Current Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are exceptionally nice and make every effort to work together in a collaborative manner.

Cons

Company is working hard to catch up in all the technology spaces and is experiencing significant pressure from the investment community.

Be bold and stick to the plan.

Current associate

Current Employee - Support Manager in McCarran, NV
    Current Employee - Support Manager in McCarran, NV

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is truly been one of the best cultures I've ever worked in. There is a lot of emphasis on engagement and connecting with the team. There are bonuses and rewards such as safety lunches and family barbecues. The company goes a long way to ensure that all associates are appreciated from entry-level up through senior leaders.

Cons

The distribution center is far from conveniences such as restaurants and shops. So if you have to do errands, do not plan on doing them at lunch. The work environment can be physical, but associates applying for this role do you understand this as they apply.

I enjoyed working there but left for money they can't match.

Former Employee - Cashier/Petcare Associate
    Former Employee - Cashier/Petcare Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is room to move up, pretty flexible about time off as long as you tell them more than two weeks advance, animals are always treated well and even if corporate's policies were dumb associates did their best to make sure all animals were well taken care of. Fun place to work, still have friends there.

Cons

Don't pay well enough to keep store associates, takes a little while to move up, longer than I wanted to wait. I was only part time so no benefits.

This is more of a corporate issue but they need to PAY BETTER. I made $9 an hour and that was more than any other associate at that store except for a couple who had worked there for 5-7 years and made $9 and change... Managers need to get their heads out of their butts and realize when an employee needs recognition! Some of the managers were great, but the upper management not so much.

I like the atmosphere of work place and people in that store, work is fun get to play with pets and share your experience with customers.

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

You get to work with animals, and the manager in the store won't push people to make sale, it's commission free.

Cons

You don't pay that much, if you are pet care you need to clean cages. However, it would be bad for someone left stuff from their shift and you have to clean while you were on duty.
    Also bad if you have allergy to fur, dust or other things in air.

Talk to the manager if you have any problem with job or people, they will happy to help you out but depends.

Store Manager, CA

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture of support, family first, top talent, excellent training and onboarding experience. There's an extremely strong team environment at PetSmart. Current managers were supported during their early start up days so they continue the team culture by offering help and guidance to new managers. In fact, if as a new manager you aren't asking others questions, they will reach out to you and ask why not. Great company.

Cons

Typical retail challenges of staffing hours, call outs, late and early shifts.

Increase marketing especially for new store openings.

Good company who cares about you

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Queen Creek, AZ
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Queen Creek, AZ

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employers seem like they actually care about you. They allow time off and a flexible schedule. They give good training and help you if you are struggling understanding something. They are patient and understanding with any issues you may have. You are able to interact with pets, which is always a pro.

Cons

They had bad hours, part time was about less than 20 hours a week. The pay was low as well. I would have stayed if I didn't like my other job better (airline employee).