PetSmart Reviews

Reset
3.2
PetSmart President & CEO Michael Massey
Michael Massey

Pros
  • Working with animals care culture (in 97 reviews)

• Excellent medical benefits for full time staff (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting full time is next to impossible (in 58 reviews)

• I definitely also believe the Pet Care responsibilities are very high for the min (in 50 reviews)

1,511 Employee Reviews

Previous Focus had better Work-Life Balance

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Work with some great peers, decent pay structure, no weekends at the office, flexibility with certain bosses.

Cons

Current focus post buyout has not been on maintaining the balance between work and life outside of PetSmart driven by senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Maintain some of the key culture components that made the employees happy to go to work everyday while working hard for the company.

I loved PetSmart!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are all about team work. They help you whenever you need. If you work hard, you get a raise every few months. After a couple of years, you get promoted to either management, or a customer lead in your department (the best thing next to management). They offer the highest pay in retail so far and I've worked 4 years in retail, sales, and customer service. It has been my favorite place to work so far of any job I've had.

Cons

There were not enough full-time positions available company-wide. The hours are not set regularly. They vary from week to week if you are part time, which didn't work for me because I needed a set income based on my expenses.

3. Grooming associate

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Flexible hours, steady appointments, overall store support, grooming equipment discounts when purchased at your store, nice shop equipment and grooming tables.

Cons

Overstaffed, much competition to fill your appointments with walk in grooms (95% the shop business is walk in) shop management discouraged "preferred groomers" for repeat customers, lack of training for new groomers, very little quality control, no customer follow up.

Advice to Management

Increase the training for new groomers, standardize the groom quality from store to store, random quality control surveys to customers, encourage groomers to leave the shop when they are slow and engage customers in the store.

5. Pretty Decent Career Opportunity for Retail

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the store, management is pretty decent, at least where I was working. I was encouraged to cross-train in all departments which kept it interesting. Co-workers were all pretty great and the focus on sales, while important, wasn't particularly high-pressure which actually makes me personally more effective. This was all true at the time I was employed with PetSmart. I can attest to those on my level getting promoted, and I could tell it was possible to happen to me with additional hard work.

I enjoyed my employment at PetSmart; it was certainly one of the best retail positions I've held.

Cons

Sometimes I felt like there was a disconnect between stores and corporate. I felt like there was little effort or coordination in terms of making benefits easily accessible, understandable, or even known for the employees. Additionally, while I had no problem with randomly scheduled shifts, it was impossible to pay my bills on 28 hours a week because I couldn't reasonably expect to hold down a second job. This is what eventually forced me to leave. Sadly, I did not leave on the best of terms due to this and it makes me sad, but I didn't want my car to get repossessed either.

Advice to Management

Please consider set hours for part-timers with occasional flexibility on their part so that work-life balance can be achieved. I believe you would be able to get phenomenal customer service out of everyone, even those who get closer to minimum wage.

Stocker

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Fun place to work, especially with the animals

Cons

Can only be part time

7. AWESOME!

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Fair and competitive pay
    Great management
    Fun place to work
    Great hours to work

Cons

The customers can be a little needy

8. Great company!

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people make the culture and having a sustainable business model always helped.

Cons

Questionable direction with new leadership in terms of strategy and the new culture that they may implement.

Advice to Management

Don't completely dismiss what made PetSmart great for so long and a big part of that is the people and their tribal knowledge. The business goal doesn't change so try not to reinvent the wheel, only refine it.

9. Store Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shiloh, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shiloh, IL

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PetSmart is a fun place to work. Employees and customers have a passion for pets.

Cons

Managers spend a lot of time tasking and running a cash register due to limited labor budget.

10. PetSmart

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

You get to see pets of all shapes and sizes come into the store! Pets that are ready to be bought or adopted, and pets that are brought in by their owners. Co-workers learn about the various pets and help each other understand the various pets or food that we sell to our pets. There is a training program that helps you understand a few of the the different foods that are sold in the store.

Cons

Like all stores, you have to look out for people who will be trying to steal from the company; from shop-lifting to returning stolen items. This can make you want to distrust your customers, which I don't like personally. However, if you have a big heart and are able to handle those customers, then I hope you can give some hope or light or whatever to your co-workers. Some get very frustrated and even have a grumpy attitude because of how many customer they have to deal with per day that drain their energy.

Advice to Management

My manager have been great. So I can't give them advice.

Great job I'm thankful for.

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

You will be trained in multiple departments, get plenty of hands-on experience, and fundamental product knowledge learning skills that not only benefit you within the company. I was hired on as a Pet Care Specialist 1 year and 4 months ago. I've been trained on register, pet products(stocking), and as a bather in the grooming salon as well. Time with animals is always, well, interesting; one way or another, for lack of a better term.

Cons

Labor hours, department coverage, and any raises you do get are dependent on one thing: OSAT, our customer survey. If OSATs are crap; then hours, coverage, raises, and the like will be crap. (Admittedly through no fault of store-level management). This makes it incredibly hard to rebound from a bad week. Also, the corporate changes and price gouging don't make my job any easier.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see this company grow. It's been a pleasure working for PetSmart. That's not going to happen unless corporate gets some backbone. Customers want customer service, not limited human interaction through AOS, ISPU, and merely "offering" assistance. If I'm going to help someone, I will take my time with them. Not push them along like a conveyor belt. If a customer is impatient, that is not my fault. I am willing to devote the same amount of attention and respect to everyone, but it seems like you feel compelled to produce a method of measurement for said attention and respect. When you put a material value on immaterial interaction, that's when the system fails the customer.

Showing 1,511 of 1,521 reviews