PetSmart

Updated August 21, 2014

3.4

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 67 reviews)

• Worked as a hotel employee for two years - great hours (usually full time hours), long shifts (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation (in 44 reviews)

• There are not enough employees there during the day at anytime, especially in the Pet Care department (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Petsmart

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

It's a great place to work. You get to see doggies everyday.

Cons

Pay isn't that great. Sometimes annoying customers come in.

Be nice to your employees.

Wonderful opportunities, wonderful experience.

Current Employee - Pet Care Manager  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Pet Care Manager in Reno, NV

Pros

Great coworkers, pay, and benefits. I started off as a stocker. I worked hard and gave it all I had. Within five months I moved on up to support manager, now I'm a Pet Care Manager. I appreciate my coworkers and the management team whom have helped me to grow.

Cons

Only con is that the holidays - from Black Friday through New Year's Day - are all black out days. So be prepared to not be able to travel during the holiday season.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good benefits and fun place to work if you love animals. weekly pay check is always good! Fun to help customers with their new pets and explaining how to care for them. Growth is there..

Cons

Laziness from management. No team work from employees. Pay is poor. the open door policy basically means employees are more worried about your home life verse your performance at work. Too much focus on sales which can be stressful. The schedule is never the same week to week to it is almost impossible to plan anything outside of work! Overworked and underpaid!! if you work hard and take on other responsibilities it will become part of your job without extra pay.

Take control. Come out of the office and offer assistance. Stop sitting at the computer all day. Take blame for your wrongs instead of throwing each other under the bus.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Current Employee - Petcare Specialist  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Petcare Specialist in Fairfax, VA

Pros

- Great manager all 4 years I have worked here
    - Great pay for a first/college job
    - Fun coworkers
    - You get 30% off coupons 4 times a year up to like a 300$ purchase, stock up

Cons

- Hard work (don't expect an easy job)
    - In the Petshotel you have to work holidays/ no way to get holidays off
    - After Obama care I couldn't do as many hours because they didn't want to give me benefits, but I don't want benefits, I was fine working 40 + hours with only part time benefits (which includes a stock plan)...this is more of an Obamacare issue though.

Lots of Fur, Feathers, and Scales but not much Pay

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Practically therapeutic to go to work, no matter the people drama, or school stress there just aren’t too many places you can go to work and just pick up a handful of hamsters. It’s actually policy to pet dogs! It is basic retail expectations (sales, stocking, facing) but you are compensated with kittens and chinchillas.

Cons

Pay is low for an associate, as well as management (unless you are a store manager) so really this job couldn’t be your primary means of supporting yourself. Even as a second job, it would be a stretch. There is not much in the way of growth because from my observations they do not hire from within. Also, no one was full time, except management and 1 of the trainers.

Consider paying more than minimum wage, or at least promoting from within.

Would recommend if you are a true animal lover, and are incredibly patient with both pets and people.

Current Employee - Dog Bather
    Current Employee - Dog Bather

Pros

Having the opportunity to work directly with pets is perhaps the best perk to working in the services part of PetSmart (grooming, hotel, reptiles and fish). Management is always willing to work with my schedule, as I work part-time at both PetSmart and another, and I am also a full time college student, so my schedule is usually fairly crazy. The team at my store is awesome, and highly supportive of each other. If you want to become dog groomer, being a dog bather is the first step to being sent off to academy. Dog groomers make relativity good money for the educational requirements and experience required (50% commission off of all services performed by groomer, can see weekly paycheck of $800+ working full time during busy periods)

Cons

A large part of working here is working directly with customers (customer service), which comes with all the challenges commonly associated with it. 98% of the customers you will meet are awesome and wonderful people, the other 2% will ruin your day. Working with the pets is also a challenge in of its self, some dogs will give you problems when it comes to performing the services you need to do with them. Working in the grooming salon can be incredibly stressful at times, as a dog bather you will be required to balance bathing your dogs, performing walk in services (nail trims, ear cleanings, anal gland expressions), answering the phones, and helping out other grooming staff members, it is easy to get behind and hard to catch back up. The pay for dog bathers sucks compared to your dog grooming co workers, don't expect to be making more than a $0.50/hour more from your starting wage if you stick with the company for year and don't move up into grooming.

Pay your service employees more! They are the bread and butter of a large portion of the company, and bring in customers that not only use our services, but also purchase products from the store. I personally have witnessed a large degree of turnover within these departments due to all the stresses of the positions, but also the low pay for the effort required. The most important investment a company can make for its future is in its employees.

It was a fun store environment.

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist  in  Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Macon, GA

Pros

they had very flexible work hours

Cons

they only paid minimum wage with no guarantee of hours

Pretty good company but lots of micromanagement

Former Employee - Groomer  in  High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Groomer in High Point, NC

Pros

Great coworkers, being with animals, good benefits, room of growth in the company and many different positions and locations

Cons

Micromanaging every detail by a heirarchy of bosses that would make surprise visits and fire people on the spot for minor infractions. Some heavy "who you know" drama in company. Pay was ok, but man you reallly had to bust your butt for it.

Calm down folks! Intimidation and lack of common sense and basic understanding LOWERS the respect for you and overworked employees desire to go above and beyond for you.

Great place to start: not exactly the place to stay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you love animals this is the best place for you to work at. I work in the Pets Hotel so I see hundreds of dogs a month and I love each of them. The animals that are left in our care are generally the nicest most loving pets around.

Cons

Well the cons are the Pay isn't all that great. I know managers that have been with the company for years that can barely afford to live in the city on a single jobs paycheck. Leadership is kind of hit or miss I can't speak about the Core side but I hear different things from different People.

Playing with puppies helps make the worst days a little better.

Current Employee - Presentation Manager  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Presentation Manager in Albany, NY

Pros

You get paid to play with puppies. The pay, particularly for management is well above average for retail.

Cons

Company is making some poor decisions and is forcing employees to keep doing the same amount of work with fewer and fewer employees and hours. Have to work many extreme hours including overnights and extremely early hours.

Employees can't give good customer service if there aren't any employees on the floor to help the customers.

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!