PetSmart

3.2
1,276 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, lots of politics

Current Employee - Marketer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonuses yearly
    Amazing Work life balance (I've never worked for a company that cared so much about making sure you have a life outside the office)
    Jeans everyday
    Pets allowed everyday
    Onsite daycare (not free though)
    Onsite fitness center (not free though)
    Onsite cafeteria and starbucks coffee cart
    Mentoring
    Embraces diversity
    Ability to work from home
    Yearly reviews with raises

Cons

Very political in some departments
    Little room for growth
    Ever changing processes
    Lots of passing the blame
    No training
    Medical benefit plan is awful.

Strategies should be sent in place before the end of a project. Processes should be allowed to grow before trying to create new ones after the first go round. Teams need to align better on all levels

Good

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Good environment, fun job also.

Cons

Customers, some are very irritating at times

Higher pay.

Really good experience

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

You get to learn about everything, I knew nothing when I started 6 months ago now I know almost everything that has to do with pet care , register & now I'm a bather too . It's really an awesome job and my coworkers are great too .

Cons

Rude customers , very rarely though . & the work load can sometimes be a bit much. Some managers literally don't do anything when the boss isn't there which is frustrating but if that's my biggest complaint with my job I'm happy !

Scheduling needs to be better , there's no one on the schedule when we need back up, but 2 people for each part of the store when we don't need back up

Love What I Do For This Company

Current Employee - Certified Dog Trainer in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Certified Dog Trainer in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love Working With Animals

Cons

Needs a Better Salary Rate

The only job I've ever had where I love being at work.

Current Employee - Cashier in Johnston, RI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Johnston, RI

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Seeing puppies everyday, getting involved with adoption events, fostering dogs, discount

Cons

Small discount, constantly moves management around, never enough hours

Petsmart and it's employees are great, their benefits package is very helpful.

Current Employee - Bather in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Bather in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are friendly and genuinely enjoy their job

Cons

Customers uneducated in basic animal care and tend to believe they know better without hesitation

Doing great!

Great Culture=Great Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart (less than a year)

Pros

Interns are respected, work on core aspects of the business, and are only given to departments that have specific objectives. This criteria ensures that the work and mentorship is present and meaningful. The culture is one of teamwork, face-to-face interaction, and information sharing. If you ask for a meeting with anyone, or just stop by their desk, most people will drop what they are doing to help you, or refer you to the right people. All employees are particularly receptive to their summer interns and love doing informational interviews. The internship program also plans a community service event through partners of PetSmart Charities, social events outside of work, workshops for professional development, a lunch with the CEO, and weekly lunches with the whole cohort.

Average tenure for employees is between 5-10 years. Many have also worked in retail previously and are therefore humble and understand all aspects of how the business works on the front and back end. If your team has a great experience with you, then they will likely make you a full time offer.

Also, puppies. Seriously, the company let's you bring your pets to the office and people bring their foster puppies everyday!

Cons

For interns coming from out of town, know that it's a full time 40hr work week for 10 weeks during the hottest time of the year in a desert city. Pack/plan accordingly. That being said, you will be inside all the time and will be able to wear jeans and a nice shirt in the office without melting. Out-of-towners will also need a reliable/cheap place to stay and a car. The company does not provide any of those things for you. Try to find another out-of-state intern who is also looking for a roommate. One intern last year had a great experience doing an extended stay through AirBnB.

The summer after I concluded my internship, PetSmart was bought by a private group and will now experience changes in their organizational structure. This might mean less jobs for outside applicants, but there will also be more opportunities available to younger team members if you're hired out of the intern pool. Despite what the critics say, PetSmart is still the largest player in the one of the most promising industries. They will always need good people with fresh ideas.

Thanks for showing your support for the interns by attending the final presentations! It was a great confidence booster to know you were in the audience sharing your time.

It is great working here

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Lots of interaction with animals, good management

Cons

Some of the customers in the area that I worked in just wanted to complain, would not accept customer service or any help given to them

Treat your employees like people and not numbers!

Great college job! lots of fun

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great hours and coworkers. A perfect job for somebody trying to work their way through college. Would recommend to friends.

Cons

I would say that there aren't many cons. Sometimes it's hard to get time off, especially during the holidays. Plan on working hard.

Good Starter Job

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Baltimore, MD

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay
    Great co-workers
    Customer Service centered
    While I was there I basically did everything but worked in the salon and dog training. There were a lot of jobs available (at the time I was employed)
    I was attending college at the time of employment, they worked with my school schedule and often my social schedule.

Cons

Upper management was not always fair or willing to give praise when it was needed.
    Long hours (not always a bad thing)
    The customers were often rude, but it's retail so it was expected.