PetSmart Reviews

3.2
1,381 Reviews
PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

1. Cashier/ customer service

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Kind workers that will work with you

Cons

The job is a little repetitive

2. Good Job

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

much better than other jobs i've had.

Cons

chance for advancement is low.

3. I love working with animals, so this was a great fit for me.

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Marlton, NJ
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My favorite thing about this job is the fact that I get to work so closely with animals every single day. As a pet care associate I mostly deal with pet parents that are looking for fish or small animals such as hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas, etc. I love learning new things, and this is a great job where you have to be quick on your feet with pet parents and always be willing to learn new things.
    Another major bonus is the friendly environment that my store, in particular, provides. All of my coworkers and my managers are extremely friendly and make this job so much more enjoyable.

Cons

Probably the most difficult part of working at PetSmart, especially as a pet care associate, is the fact that you have to know A LOT about animals. Much of the time you will have questions dealing with setting up a proper environment for an animal or fish, or questions about a sick pet, and what can be done about it.
    If you are willing to put in the time to learn about all the animals and all the fish (as well as the products carried in the store) you won't have a very had time, but it is A LOT to learn.
    Also, the pay is better than minimum wage, but the amount of work that this job requires does not equal the wages set by upper management.

Advice to Management

Store management (in Marlton): keep doing what you're doing, you are providing a great environment to work in. You all provide a friendly work environment where we feel like we are part of a team.

Upper management, maybe even to the corporate level: this job is not as easy as you may think. Not only is it a retail store, which in general is a stressful environment, it is also a pet store where pet parents come in daily with questions about what is best for their pet, what toys to buy, what food to get, what sort of filtration their fish tank should have, etc. We, as employees are required to either know this information, or find someone who does, and that puts a lot of responsibility on us. There is no equivalent to how a store like PetSmart is. Pet parents trust in us to make decisions and provide advice for their pets - no - their members of their family, and we get compensated just the same as any other retail job: a bit over minimum wage. This job requires a lot of knowledge, a lot of willingness to learn, and exceptional customer service. I believe, as well as I'm sure many of my coworkers do as well, that we should be compensated for this. The amount of work that we put in is worth much more than what we are getting paid.

5. PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist

Current Employee - PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are mostly positive, supportive and friendly people, as are the seniors and the managers. Everyone knows what needs to be done and are very helpful.
    They will interview outside of the company for some positions but a lot of times, they DO try to promote from within when it comes to senior and management positions. Lots of room for moving up.
    It's a really fun job! There is one hell of a learning curve while you're still learning everything, and if you're being trained during a busy season, it can be overwhelming. Stick it out for a good month or two, and nothing will phase you.
    At my store, the managers really listen a lot to feedback, both regarding the job, and regarding their decisions. If they put a dog in large dog camp that fares better in small dog camp, and you let them know that, they'll move the dog. The managers also do everything they can to make it a happy, welcoming environment. Lots of positivity and support, and complements on a job well done. If you're not doing so well, they're really good about very gently correcting you, rather than being mean like some managers can be.

Cons

The pay could be better. Much better. As PCS, you watch the dogs in the doggy day camp, which, depending on how many dogs there are, the size of said dogs, and their energy levels, can turn out to be some pretty risky work. They train you to deal with it properly, but that said, the dogs can be unpredictable and it can be super stressful. That kind of work, the way I see it, deserves better pay.

Advice to Management

This doesn't pertain to my store, but some others: if you've got PCS in camp, rotate them every hour. Keep them in for an hour, then have your floor PCS switch out with them. Rotate your PCS so every hour, someone comes in, and someone goes out. Being stuck in camp all day is miserable, but if you rotate your PCS, they'll look forward to their job a lot more.

6. boarding or daycare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holbrook, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holbrook, NY

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

love animals have ten of my own worked in this profession fifteen years

Cons

really cant just love pets

Advice to Management

very dependable able to work weekends..

7. PetSmart

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

great environment, customers are very friendly, pets are awesome, pay is very competetive

Cons

no job security, broken open door policy, absent training

Advice to Management

fix the open door policy and hold upper management accountable before you have a lawsuit on your hands for not following policy

8. Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Was a low stress reasonable paying job while in college. Got pretty good discounts while working there.

Cons

In general the only cons are same cons that working in any retail job would have: kind of low pay, hours could be unpredictable, working with some younger unprofessional employees.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The store I worked for was great! We were all like family, managers are were great and our store manager was always available when we needed anything. The operations manager was great, he really appreciated if employees would just talk to him prior to schedules being made in order to give us the hours we needed for the pay week. He was always flexible especially with my schedule since I have small children.

Cons

The company would at times cut hours this was terrible especially for those of us who relied on the extra money.

10. Best retail company I've been employed

Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive interactions, great management team, during training they focused on where I excelled, mistakes are corrected but in a respectful and educational manner, just a great team

Cons

Cons? It'd be great if there was antibacterial gel at the registers.

Advice to Management

None

11. Great company with awesome staff

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Enjoy the full time benefits

Cons

Never had a problem there