PetSmart

3.2
1,164 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Not good with employees

Current Employee - Stocker in Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Stocker in Covina, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the fact that we get to work with animals.

Cons

Very low pay. They expect you to work only a certain number of hours a week and don't want you getting a 2nd job to live.

Learn to pay more, give more hours, stop treating the employees unfairly.

Terrible experience and potentially destroyed lives

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers and some of the coworkers are good people but for the most part you will work for terrible lazy people in management.

Cons

Salon is a mill and weekly injuries of animals occur and salon associates are drama filled people that don't care about the dogs the give care to.
    Management is lazy and untrustworthy
    The hours are minimal and you will be expected to sell sell sell while being chained to the register
    You will be lulled into security and fired as if you are nothing.
    They cut the hours yet give iPads to every store and you will be expected to get ipad sales with minimal help.
    Animals in care for sale are treated as if they are disposable with no regard to constant sickness.
    Field management will treat you as if you are disposable. Rude hateful people will be promoted ahead of good people.

I was GM and fired without warning, no second chance. Find employment elsewhere. This is a pathetic company that will lie to you and support pathetic excuses for managers and let good people go. You will be forced to work with minimal hours and e pelted to deliver sales growth with less people than ever. They are going downhill.

In Store Management Issues

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Eagan, MN

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Part time PTO
    Part time health care
    Fun place to work
    Pay based on experience
    Good training for position

Cons

Management Training lacking
    A lot of experiences with unethical people
    Leadership lacks
    Hiring and promotion to a management positions are done carelessly

Don't promise promotions to people with no intention of following through. Be more careful on who you hire or promote to management positions. Verbal harassment is never okay. Never let an employee leave disgruntled.

Former dog/ cat groomer

Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and steady work. Had a chance for advancement until I turned a man in for dog abuse. So if you keep your head down and don't make waves you can be a manager!

Cons

Terrible management... a man at my store was turned in multiple times for animal abuse and it wasn't just by employees, customers too! This man still works there as a groomer. Pathetic.

Get it together... you're in the business of keeping pets healthy.

PetSmart couldn't care less about the employees it hired

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Get to meet great people and customers are usually willing to chat and hear suggestions
    Pets! If you don't love seeing different types of animals, this is not the place for you
    Management did uphold company policies and would defend them- very little undermining in front of customers

Cons

Managers are not very empathetic
    Will hire you only for part time with a very large fluctuation in hours (work 5 hrs one week, 32 hrs the next week) if you are not in the Salon or aren't a manager
    Expect you to revolve your life around working there, I've been guilt tripped into working more hours when I've had prior engagements (if they just scheduled me then things would be easier to accommodate)
    Management gets really pissy when people have other jobs that need accommodation
    Managers act like they are doing you a favor when they give you an extra 3 hour shift in your week
    Very little positive feedback, most people there do not get regular positive feedback from management, only directly from customers
    If you offend management, they will cut your hours in retaliation
    Forget about having issues resolved by going to the DM or HR. They do not care about store issues and will not resolve them if your managers fail to. They only care about harassment and abuse, embezzlement, and stealing. They will NOT help you with any other store issues (i.e. managers cutting your hours in retaliation)

The company is trying to create more money for shareholders by cutting down employee hours and removing positions. They are trying to do WAY more with WAY less. This is a part time job for those in college/university but do not expect to ever get a full time position unless you are in the Salon. If you want to make money, aim for being a groomer. During profitable seasons, some of the groomers are taking in more than the managers. If you want a part time position aim for cashier, pet trainer, pet care, or stocker.

The only reason I'm still here is because I genuinely adore the customers and their pets.

Actually try to understand your employees

I was Wronged!

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Saginaw, MI

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the job, best job ever.

Cons

A LOT of information in the Care Sheets is incorrect.
    My store cared more about selling animals than actual care. They sold guinea pigs that were tested positive for ringworm. I was also illegally fired. Called caresmart, no one did anything.
    When I moved to cashier I found out that they were NOT training new Pet Care members properly, Managers were very rude and my store had a lot of Illegal activity!!!

My store had a lot of illegal activity in higher management. I also suggest that you redo your care sheets to be more up to date and accurate. Also, in my store at least, no one knew anything at all that was correct about ferrets. The food we sell for ferrets is very unhealthy for them, and the treats we sell can actually kill them. I suggest more information about ferrets, and a larger ferret section. Also, I suggest that it be 100% mandatory that they do complete system treatments for Ick on a regular basis...

Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers who bring in their pets
    Some of the employees in the stores are great people

Cons

Cold company demeanor.
    Long hours and work on days off.
    The number of sickly animals arriving too young or with over breeding ailments.
    Learning that the business is strictly about the profit.

Listen to your employees on the front lines

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with animals & pay

Cons

Micromanaging from upper management. Lack of leadership among District Managers.

Just a number

Current Employee - Groomer
    Current Employee - Groomer

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like a few of my co-workers.
    I love working with dogs.

Cons

Im a high quality groomer. It takes me a little longer to groom dogs but with phenomenal quality. Petsmart straight up told me im not making enough money for them. Manager said "You're a great groomer, but if people are bringing their dogs to Petsmart to be groomed then they don't CARE about quality." Multiple managers told me to focus less on quality and more on poorly done grooms on more dogs so that Petsmart can make more money. And threatened to fire me uf i couldn't make more money for them.
    You are just a number and they will constantly drill into your head how replaceable you are.

Care less about your numbers and money and put a little more care into your valued pets and customers!!!

Started out as an amazing position, ended with me crying after every shift.

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Some of my coworkers were absolutely amazing, very knowledgeable, excellent teachers, caring, and compassionate towards the animals.

Cons

Company policy and employee negligence ensured animal death, mutilation, and illness. During the holidays it was policy to stuff the cages/tanks with lots of animals. Hamsters killed and ate each other. Birds became highly aggressive and mutilated or killed each other. Turtles died from being kept in tank water that wasn't kept clean. Animals weren't checked on, and dead animals sometimes sat in cages until they were mushy. We were understaffed to the point where people knew they could get away with slacking because we couldn't afford to fire anyone. Guinea pigs were left to sit in their own poop and urine soaked bedding (too many animals meant that even with daily cleanings the bedding could become saturated), leading to a large number of ring worm cases (the fungus breeds in filth). People would accidentally squash lizards to death under ornaments. Someone chopped a lizard's tail off on more that one occasion. No real room for growth; outside managers with no petcare experience were hired.