PetSmart

3.2
1,226 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Pets hotel assistant manager

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Friendly customers
    Great if you love to work with animals
    Great coworkers

Cons

No upward mobility
    Terrible pay
    Horrible managers
    Lazy managers

Company doesn't care, and neither does management.

Former Employee - Bather in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Bather in Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If your coworkers get along, it makes things easier.

Cons

If there's any problem you have to take care of it yourself. I had a coworker constantly harass me, and when you call corporate they just tell your store management to talk to the person the complaints about. As well as with customer problems, the manager won't come to help unless it's to stick their key in the register.

Care about your employees more, I've seen extremely good groomers and trainers quit because calling the help line did nothing. My coworker is an army wife, and she requested a week off b/c her husband was home on leave. She gave 3 months notice, and her vacation was approved. She was fired b/c they decided to change the schedule while she was off, and didn't even call her to alert her of the changes. "No call no show" -- Corporate did nothing.

Good company, crappy management at the Biddeford, Maine store.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

the pets are the best part

Cons

the managers totally have no clue

get a clue or leave

Horrible Place To Work

Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Houston, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Got to work hands on with dogs, fun ride while it lasted.

Cons

If you notice.....they are always hiring members of management...hmm...I wonder why??? This place when I left was literally under water. Poor lack of management, lack of leadership, way too much gossiping going around and I can honestly go on and on about how horrible my last few years were there. I don't recommend this particular store at all. Maybe at a different location things may be better and different.

Learn to appreciate your employees and value them as people....not as NUMBERS!! Corporate spends way too much time concentrating on simply just quotas and crunching numbers. Take some time out of your "busy" schedule to get to know your employees and form a great mutual bond. Cuz at the end of the day those employees are the ones who push the company foward....not your fancy tablets and laptops.

Hated working with the people

Former Employee - Cashier in Mount Juliet, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mount Juliet, TN

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Nice customers for retail, see different pups, helping the customers, giving my opinion on items, two co-workers were awesome

Cons

Hated 90% of my co-workers. They were hateful, management would make hateful smart remarks toward me. Whined when I needed help or lunch or a break.

Try being nice for once. Make all of your employees feel like they are irreplaceable and part of the team, not some replaceable kid at the bottom of the chain.

Terrible experience and potentially destroyed lives

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers and some of the coworkers are good people but for the most part you will work for terrible lazy people in management.

Cons

Salon is a mill and weekly injuries of animals occur and salon associates are drama filled people that don't care about the dogs the give care to.
    Management is lazy and untrustworthy
    The hours are minimal and you will be expected to sell sell sell while being chained to the register
    You will be lulled into security and fired as if you are nothing.
    They cut the hours yet give iPads to every store and you will be expected to get ipad sales with minimal help.
    Animals in care for sale are treated as if they are disposable with no regard to constant sickness.
    Field management will treat you as if you are disposable. Rude hateful people will be promoted ahead of good people.

I was GM and fired without warning, no second chance. Find employment elsewhere. This is a pathetic company that will lie to you and support pathetic excuses for managers and let good people go. You will be forced to work with minimal hours and e pelted to deliver sales growth with less people than ever. They are going downhill.

In Store Management Issues

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Eagan, MN

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Part time PTO
    Part time health care
    Fun place to work
    Pay based on experience
    Good training for position

Cons

Management Training lacking
    A lot of experiences with unethical people
    Leadership lacks
    Hiring and promotion to a management positions are done carelessly

Don't promise promotions to people with no intention of following through. Be more careful on who you hire or promote to management positions. Verbal harassment is never okay. Never let an employee leave disgruntled.

Former dog/ cat groomer

Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and steady work. Had a chance for advancement until I turned a man in for dog abuse. So if you keep your head down and don't make waves you can be a manager!

Cons

Terrible management... a man at my store was turned in multiple times for animal abuse and it wasn't just by employees, customers too! This man still works there as a groomer. Pathetic.

Get it together... you're in the business of keeping pets healthy.

PetSmart couldn't care less about the employees it hired

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Get to meet great people and customers are usually willing to chat and hear suggestions
    Pets! If you don't love seeing different types of animals, this is not the place for you
    Management did uphold company policies and would defend them- very little undermining in front of customers

Cons

Managers are not very empathetic
    Will hire you only for part time with a very large fluctuation in hours (work 5 hrs one week, 32 hrs the next week) if you are not in the Salon or aren't a manager
    Expect you to revolve your life around working there, I've been guilt tripped into working more hours when I've had prior engagements (if they just scheduled me then things would be easier to accommodate)
    Management gets really pissy when people have other jobs that need accommodation
    Managers act like they are doing you a favor when they give you an extra 3 hour shift in your week
    Very little positive feedback, most people there do not get regular positive feedback from management, only directly from customers
    If you offend management, they will cut your hours in retaliation
    Forget about having issues resolved by going to the DM or HR. They do not care about store issues and will not resolve them if your managers fail to. They only care about harassment and abuse, embezzlement, and stealing. They will NOT help you with any other store issues (i.e. managers cutting your hours in retaliation)

The company is trying to create more money for shareholders by cutting down employee hours and removing positions. They are trying to do WAY more with WAY less. This is a part time job for those in college/university but do not expect to ever get a full time position unless you are in the Salon. If you want to make money, aim for being a groomer. During profitable seasons, some of the groomers are taking in more than the managers. If you want a part time position aim for cashier, pet trainer, pet care, or stocker.

The only reason I'm still here is because I genuinely adore the customers and their pets.

Actually try to understand your employees

I was Wronged!

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Saginaw, MI

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I loved the job, best job ever.

Cons

A LOT of information in the Care Sheets is incorrect.
    My store cared more about selling animals than actual care. They sold guinea pigs that were tested positive for ringworm. I was also illegally fired. Called caresmart, no one did anything.
    When I moved to cashier I found out that they were NOT training new Pet Care members properly, Managers were very rude and my store had a lot of Illegal activity!!!

My store had a lot of illegal activity in higher management. I also suggest that you redo your care sheets to be more up to date and accurate. Also, in my store at least, no one knew anything at all that was correct about ferrets. The food we sell for ferrets is very unhealthy for them, and the treats we sell can actually kill them. I suggest more information about ferrets, and a larger ferret section. Also, I suggest that it be 100% mandatory that they do complete system treatments for Ick on a regular basis...