PetSmart Reviews

3.2
1,369 Reviews
PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

1. Not what it seems.

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Working with animals, nursing animals back to health, helping customers with their pets, seeing dogs come in

Cons

Customers, animals dying, terrible pet owners, barely enough pay the bills, company values customers over animals.
    Stores are forced to focus on customers instead of the health and care of the animals in the store. Some animals barely get fed.

Advice to Management

either stop selling animals or focus less on customers. Give raises now and again. give pet care associates proper training instead of the bare minimum.

2. PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist

Current Employee - PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are mostly positive, supportive and friendly people, as are the seniors and the managers. Everyone knows what needs to be done and are very helpful.
    They will interview outside of the company for some positions but a lot of times, they DO try to promote from within when it comes to senior and management positions. Lots of room for moving up.
    It's a really fun job! There is one hell of a learning curve while you're still learning everything, and if you're being trained during a busy season, it can be overwhelming. Stick it out for a good month or two, and nothing will phase you.
    At my store, the managers really listen a lot to feedback, both regarding the job, and regarding their decisions. If they put a dog in large dog camp that fares better in small dog camp, and you let them know that, they'll move the dog. The managers also do everything they can to make it a happy, welcoming environment. Lots of positivity and support, and complements on a job well done. If you're not doing so well, they're really good about very gently correcting you, rather than being mean like some managers can be.

Cons

The pay could be better. Much better. As PCS, you watch the dogs in the doggy day camp, which, depending on how many dogs there are, the size of said dogs, and their energy levels, can turn out to be some pretty risky work. They train you to deal with it properly, but that said, the dogs can be unpredictable and it can be super stressful. That kind of work, the way I see it, deserves better pay.

Advice to Management

This doesn't pertain to my store, but some others: if you've got PCS in camp, rotate them every hour. Keep them in for an hour, then have your floor PCS switch out with them. Rotate your PCS so every hour, someone comes in, and someone goes out. Being stuck in camp all day is miserable, but if you rotate your PCS, they'll look forward to their job a lot more.

3. store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at PetSmart (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only thing that is good about PetSmart is the Pay and benefits. They are great.

Cons

Sketchy suppliers of animals. Backwards policies. Really just a business. Don't care about animals. Company culture is a joke. Be prepared to give up any semblance of a life to manage for petsmart. No balance.

Advice to Management

Work on giving your people a work life balance. Practice what you preach.

5. vet assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaston, SC

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

love takin care of pet dogs

Cons

talking to clients about sick pets

Advice to Management

they are greatg good

6. Groomer/ cashier

Current Employee - Cashier/Pet Stylist in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier/Pet Stylist in Mason, OH

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent commission from 2006/2009 went down from there. Good managers till we got to new store.

Cons

Corporate is horrible! Went through store managers, opened a new store in MASON OHIO. Everything went down hill from there! They fired everyone even people that's been there over 10 years!

Advice to Management

My advice would be to corporate. Stick with rules don't change them every month! And you wouldn't go through people like you do! Just saying

Poor management!!

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Good customers that you make lifetime friends with!!

Cons

Management makes favorites and only does what they want and don't listen to their employees. They mistreat employees!!

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to your coworkers and back them up when they need it!!

8. Dog Groomer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

100% paid training, gain industry knowledge of all breed cuts.

Cons

Prone to slow seasons, it is a very competitive job. Co-workers may try steeling clients.

Advice to Management

Maybe hire less groomers, it causes some people to have light schedule

9. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Great salary! Enjoy the pet parents.

Cons

No work life balance, more stressful than your average retail job

Advice to Management

Stores do not have enough payroll to help customers

10. I am SO very glad I longer work at PetSmart!

Former Employee - Pet Training Instructor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Pet Training Instructor in Seattle, WA

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Having the opportunity to work with lots of dogs and pet parents, and help to improve their lives.

Cons

I could write a book! Unqualified managers with poor communications and leadership skills; borderline and worse associates allowed to continue working, with no training or correction to result in better performance; a complete lack of recognition and positive reinforcement; lack of support; mistreatment of associates and managers by superiors; lack of accountability; a substantial lack of work ethic - the list is endless! Personally, I was mistreated by my first store manager, who retaliated against me after I complained of outrageous conduct by an area pet trainer - someone the manager herself was previously warned about! the mistreatment continued for years and I was never allowed to advance. The company terminated the positions of over 2000 trainers in February, "allowing" us to continue as cashiers. I recently resigned and feel absolutely WONDERFUL about doing so.

Advice to Management

YOUR EMPLOYEES ARE YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET! Treat them well and they will pay you back in spades. This is obviously a concept you have absolutely no grasp of.

11. Store Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, working with live pets, friendly co-workers, friendly guest, fifteen percent employee discount, three weeks vacation, good benefits

Cons

Poor team development program, private company now, lack of care for team members, not nearly enough payroll to successfully operate a store, and limited upper management positions which limits advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

You will be working as a cashier often. Be prepared to work fifty plus hours per week.