PetSmart

3.2
1,130 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working for this company

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

The company truly cares about the customers, products and employees.

Cons

Only bad thing is you don't make a lot of money unless you're in management.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with animals & pay

Cons

Micromanaging from upper management. Lack of leadership among District Managers.

Just a number

Current Employee - Groomer
    Current Employee - Groomer

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like a few of my co-workers.
    I love working with dogs.

Cons

Im a high quality groomer. It takes me a little longer to groom dogs but with phenomenal quality. Petsmart straight up told me im not making enough money for them. Manager said "You're a great groomer, but if people are bringing their dogs to Petsmart to be groomed then they don't CARE about quality." Multiple managers told me to focus less on quality and more on poorly done grooms on more dogs so that Petsmart can make more money. And threatened to fire me uf i couldn't make more money for them.
    You are just a number and they will constantly drill into your head how replaceable you are.

Care less about your numbers and money and put a little more care into your valued pets and customers!!!

Great Company

Former Employee - Bath Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Bath Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interacting with animals and having nice co-workers.

Cons

Pay is somewhat low and hard to get full time hours

Started out as an amazing position, ended with me crying after every shift.

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Some of my coworkers were absolutely amazing, very knowledgeable, excellent teachers, caring, and compassionate towards the animals.

Cons

Company policy and employee negligence ensured animal death, mutilation, and illness. During the holidays it was policy to stuff the cages/tanks with lots of animals. Hamsters killed and ate each other. Birds became highly aggressive and mutilated or killed each other. Turtles died from being kept in tank water that wasn't kept clean. Animals weren't checked on, and dead animals sometimes sat in cages until they were mushy. We were understaffed to the point where people knew they could get away with slacking because we couldn't afford to fire anyone. Guinea pigs were left to sit in their own poop and urine soaked bedding (too many animals meant that even with daily cleanings the bedding could become saturated), leading to a large number of ring worm cases (the fungus breeds in filth). People would accidentally squash lizards to death under ornaments. Someone chopped a lizard's tail off on more that one occasion. No real room for growth; outside managers with no petcare experience were hired.

My experience was mixed but more bad than good.

Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of experience with many animals and become knowledgable about care for the animals you deal with day in and day out. If you work in the salon as a groomer your pay is much higher than anyone one the floor including management. They TRY to acknowledge your accomplishments with CARE cards that provide how you demonstrated CARE (connect, assist, recognize, energy).

Cons

They expect a lot for the amount of pay associates and managers get. Their training is very minimal and they tend to just throw you in sink or swim. There was never any clarification on certain procedures and because of that we would get in trouble yet when trying to get clarification the words "look it up" were always what management advised. Their procedures for many things are unrealistic and they made you feel more like just a number rather than a person. Reviews were always done 4 months after they should have been and in my store the ops manager would try and use the tactic of manipulation when trying to find out gossip in the store. I felt they focused on minimal things rather than the bigger picture and their employees should be getting more for all the do.

Certain policies like breaking up dog fights are nonrealistic. Management should focus on trying to appreciate associates more and not just when they sell a class or get someone to buy a puppy kit. There really should be actual meetings with associates so that one can get all sides of how to make the store better.

PetHotel

Former Employee - PetSmart Overnight Hotel Associate in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - PetSmart Overnight Hotel Associate in Mansfield, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the dogs and cats was amazing. They always made me happy to be there. Management is good. All in all their hearts are always in the right place, and take special care worth the guests.

Cons

Not getting reviews and raises on time was irritating. I asked to be transferred because I was driving an hour back and forth everyday and they wanted me to train 3 new overnight pet care specialist before they would let me switch stores. There are a few flaws in communication between hotel managers and store managers.

Good Benefits for Full-time employees

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Petsmart can be a fun place to work depending on who your management team is. The customers are usually very nice to work with and love their pets. It's always fun to be able to see all of the dogs that come into the store. Petsmart provides good benefits for the full-time associate - health, dental and vision with a good vacation package.

Cons

Terrible hours, no life/work balance, always working weekends and holidays. The salaried managers work 50+ hours/weekly and are expected to work more if necessary. The pay for most associates is extremely low for what is expected and even the hourly managers are paid poorly for the amount of work they are expected to do. Never enough associates on the floor and yet the customer service is expected to be stellar. Always cutting hours.

You get what you pay for. If you would pay your associates and managers a decent wage, your turnover wouldn't be as high and you would create more loyalty among the staff. Give the salaried managers at least a decent work/life balance, i.e. holidays off would be nice. Provide enough hours to actually staff the stores so that the customer service can meet the expectations of corporate.

A lot has changed

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Okay work life balance for retail, great customers, loyal associates.

Cons

The company is not what it used to be. There was a time when the executive teamed cared about the operations and store teams. Now, they talk about customer experience and taking care of the associates and then strip the labor until you have a skeleton crew, fire experienced district managers only to open the position to less experienced (and lesser paid) individuals. No heat/air in the stores? Broken toilets or animal habitats? Too bad. There's no money for that, but here are some iPads, use them to generate more sales. It was ridiculous.

No advancement in sight

Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Marlton, NJ

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with dogs, meet good people

Cons

Pay is horrible, no room for advancement,

Give more opportunities, Actually listen to your employees