PetSmart

Updated August 21, 2014

3.4

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 67 reviews)

• Worked as a hotel employee for two years - great hours (usually full time hours), long shifts (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation (in 44 reviews)

• There are not enough employees there during the day at anytime, especially in the Pet Care department (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

This company is on a downward slide and needs new leadership at the top. They will lose a lot of managers.

Pros

I received great pay from a retail job. Vaction time accrual was good also.

Cons

Changing values. Clueless top leadership of how to lead a company to success. Their CARE is only for associate level team members, not salaried associates.

Go back to your grass roots. Remeber, you're selling dog food!

Petsmart

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

It's a great place to work. You get to see doggies everyday.

Cons

Pay isn't that great. Sometimes annoying customers come in.

Be nice to your employees.

Good starter job

Former Employee - Presentation Manager  in  Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Presentation Manager in Wilmington, DE

Pros

The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff was easy going. Plus having dogs at work helped make the day go by fast

Cons

Weak upper management store managers and up. The last two years the company has done a lot of time studies to lower hours. The customer has suffered cause we are driven to complete tasks

Listen more to the customer and no more hours cut 15 percent in 1 yr is hard to a do your job. I

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fired with due to LACK OF TRAINING!

Former Employee - Petcare Manager  in  Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Petcare Manager in Waterbury, CT

Pros

Overall the company is for a lack of a better word good the people are friendly and the assoiciates are nice and there are an exceptional few that will lend a helping hand.

Cons

The lack of training I was responsible for one of the biggest fish systems in the district which ultimately cost me my job. The system is Massive with so many valves and pumps and other things they basically hand you a book tell you watch a video and then expect you to be an expert on how the system works down to every single valve in the system. When i got there the fluidized bedding wasn't working 2 of the 4 pumps were broken barely functioning and the previous pet care manager was doing counts incorrectly to boost his scores and to not effect loss. Also zero patience had been done to the machine as they had claimed it to be "very delicate" which wasn't the case it's just that they had established so much bacteria in the system that after properly cleaning the system it cause the system to cycle. Which any person with fish knowledge knows that when you have a dirty filter that's got bad bacteria built up and then you fully clean something on the system it's going to typically cause a cycle to happen and when that does happen yes your more delicate fish may pass due to this but ultimately the system will benefit and work properly after. I just find it funny as the petcare department after my termination, the system was back up and running 100% and i have reports from a associate who told me the loss went massively down after the issues I had addressed and fixed on the system were done and corrected that the water levels became perfect and ideal for the fish system they currently are unhappy with the system and also are in the works of removing it and replacing it, go figure maybe because it should have been done 15 years ago when the system became out dated? overall the company is very picky i personally would go back if they'd have me but would want to have extensive training on the system. Other thing is the managers are all to concerned with making bonus and wont order supplies and or do the right thing towards the end of the quarter. animals will go without food or clean bedding sometimes just so that they can get a bonus at the end of the quarter i found this to be a horrible practice.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR DAMN BONUS'S AND DO THE RIGHT THING.TRAIN PROPPERLY DO NOT JUST THROW THEM A BOOK AND EXPECT THEM TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

not what I expected. prepare to be thrown to the Sharks.

Pros

good to learn about pet care and certain foods and pet needs.

Cons

not very good pay or hours

need to work on very good customer service skills, communication within the grooming salon everything seems to be chaos. you need to reach out more as well. show you like doing what you do don't have an attitude. doesn't matter if you're a customer or an employer nobody likes having to deal with somebody with an attitude no matter what side you're on

Would recommend if you are a true animal lover, and are incredibly patient with both pets and people.

Current Employee - Dog Bather
    Current Employee - Dog Bather

Pros

Having the opportunity to work directly with pets is perhaps the best perk to working in the services part of PetSmart (grooming, hotel, reptiles and fish). Management is always willing to work with my schedule, as I work part-time at both PetSmart and another, and I am also a full time college student, so my schedule is usually fairly crazy. The team at my store is awesome, and highly supportive of each other. If you want to become dog groomer, being a dog bather is the first step to being sent off to academy. Dog groomers make relativity good money for the educational requirements and experience required (50% commission off of all services performed by groomer, can see weekly paycheck of $800+ working full time during busy periods)

Cons

A large part of working here is working directly with customers (customer service), which comes with all the challenges commonly associated with it. 98% of the customers you will meet are awesome and wonderful people, the other 2% will ruin your day. Working with the pets is also a challenge in of its self, some dogs will give you problems when it comes to performing the services you need to do with them. Working in the grooming salon can be incredibly stressful at times, as a dog bather you will be required to balance bathing your dogs, performing walk in services (nail trims, ear cleanings, anal gland expressions), answering the phones, and helping out other grooming staff members, it is easy to get behind and hard to catch back up. The pay for dog bathers sucks compared to your dog grooming co workers, don't expect to be making more than a $0.50/hour more from your starting wage if you stick with the company for year and don't move up into grooming.

Pay your service employees more! They are the bread and butter of a large portion of the company, and bring in customers that not only use our services, but also purchase products from the store. I personally have witnessed a large degree of turnover within these departments due to all the stresses of the positions, but also the low pay for the effort required. The most important investment a company can make for its future is in its employees.

Fun to work with, but Not great for "low pay"

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Westminster, CO

Pros

Working here for petsmart is a great way to interact with people, and their pets. Also having a great information to help new pet parents with their puppy, kitten, fish, small animal and reptiles. I met so many people and love seeing them come back, as a cashier.

Cons

The managers only help you when you call them to the register, when you get a long line while you're waiting for a back up, not only that you get an angry customer waiting for the 20% off, or the flea and tick, or even answer a question you don't have the answer to. You don't see the managers and they even run away when you ask for a review session, like its supposed to be every 6 months to a year. Not only that The managers talk in that one small little office with an associate and laughing. When there are people that need crickets, fish or bark collars or even help. Managers and associates can be friends Out side of work. But unfortunately, don't do it while you're working.

Not only that, the pay is low. You better get a second job if you're waiting for a raise.

Help the associates, and give them information that they should know. (Not the add on sales) The new products.

Don't slide away when an associate needs you. Especially on the register.

Wonderful opportunities, wonderful experience.

Current Employee - Pet Care Manager  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Pet Care Manager in Reno, NV

Pros

Great coworkers, pay, and benefits. I started off as a stocker. I worked hard and gave it all I had. Within five months I moved on up to support manager, now I'm a Pet Care Manager. I appreciate my coworkers and the management team whom have helped me to grow.

Cons

Only con is that the holidays - from Black Friday through New Year's Day - are all black out days. So be prepared to not be able to travel during the holiday season.

Lots of Fur, Feathers, and Scales but not much Pay

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Practically therapeutic to go to work, no matter the people drama, or school stress there just aren’t too many places you can go to work and just pick up a handful of hamsters. It’s actually policy to pet dogs! It is basic retail expectations (sales, stocking, facing) but you are compensated with kittens and chinchillas.

Cons

Pay is low for an associate, as well as management (unless you are a store manager) so really this job couldn’t be your primary means of supporting yourself. Even as a second job, it would be a stretch. There is not much in the way of growth because from my observations they do not hire from within. Also, no one was full time, except management and 1 of the trainers.

Consider paying more than minimum wage, or at least promoting from within.

Picked On

Pros

I do have to say I love the dogs. If it wasn't for them I would no longer be working here.

Cons

I feel that because I am a new that the groomers feel the need to boss me around and to pick out all my faults to management. I could get these girls in trouble 20 times over again but I keep my mouth shut because I believe the groomers that are doing this are being childish. I have been growing in leaps and bounds and every milestone I achieve they ignore. I am sick of management cow tailing to these girls and I believe that there needs to be a line drawn in the sand on the constant complaining that goes on in the salon. This job is way to stressful for the money that I'm paid. Especially when the groomers think a gratuity sign is "begging". Yeah great that your clients know to tip. Oh and customer service is HORRIFIC!

Stop listening to complaints! I am sick of listening to complaints! Unless there is a serious concern tell them, if you don't like it, leave. These groomers text on their phones during work, they don't clean, and during free time, sit around and talk instead of doing what they should.

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!