PetSmart

3.2
1,218 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Great animals and chances for promotion, horrible customers

Former Employee - Support Manager
    Former Employee - Support Manager

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working with animals every day and cleaning out their enclosures and educating customers about how to take care of them. Discount was good, especially around holidays and friends & family. Promotions came easy provided you worked really hard and made good with customers. Corporate and HR were friendly and helpful. Great starting job. Full-time benefits were really good.

Cons

We had to start pushing people to input e-mails and buy special items. It was very frustrating and hours were cut if you didn't sell. Customers are very protective of their animals and will hunt you down if you do something wrong in grooming or even just in the store. When you are out of stock of something, it is as if the world has ended.

Communication, communication, and communication. At least our store lacked it. Stop hiding in the manager's office and pay attention to what your employees are saying. Stop pushing cashiers to sell items and force e-mail input. Customers get angry and end up not wanting to return because of it.

Great working environment

Former Employee - Pet Care Manager in Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Care Manager in Odessa, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Working within a great team. I love working with the animals and teaching customers how to care for their new furry family member. The store system is easy to use. Great benefits at my time of employment. Friendly working environment with management.

Cons

Animals deaths. Customers upset due to pet loss. Working with juvenile coworkers who did not care for the actual well being of the pets. Overstocking of live pets without appropriate habitats. Pets are on the sales floor as product and people think they can recreate the same environment at home for the life of the pet. People do not do research before making a pet purchase.

Take an active role in ensuring proper training concerning live animals. Be aware of who you are hiring and take time to conduct an interview properly. I realize your job is tiresome but take the time to appreciate hard working employees who actually care about the wellbeing of live pets as well as the customer who makes them apart of their family. Pet sales are emotional.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Shipper in Bethel, PA
    Current Employee - Shipper in Bethel, PA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working in an atmosphere that is generally free from negative behavior and attitude. Petsmart pays well and the investment in reflected in the great people who work here.

Cons

Working at Petsmart is hard work. I don't mind, but many people are not able to keep up the pace. Don't come here if you are not ready to put in maximum effort for a full shift.

Dont change

Associate

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Great people, good management, flexible with student schedules, good discounts

Cons

Retail- late hours for holidays, cleaning up after pets

Listen to staff and assist with issues in store

Good company to work for

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

If you can get full time they have great benefits, friendly environment depending on management

Cons

It's retail so there's no set schedule and you work most holidays so it definitely takes away from family time, pay is fairly low compared to other companies as well. Some store managers are awesome and make working for them fun others can be real challenging to work for.

Value your employees as well as your customers because you can't run a store without one or the other

Great Company with Great Benefits

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at PetSmart (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, training, fosters team collaboration

Cons

field management can be somewhat clueless and inexperienced

Good percentages don't take away from solid sales and performance, coach and nurture these ideas to get more value out of the company.

Part time Petcare lead associate

Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist in Henderson, NV

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers and associates are very friendly. Very good at working with my school schedule.

Cons

Can only get maximum of 28 hours per week.

Fast paced and never dull

Current Employee - Pet Care Manager
    Current Employee - Pet Care Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started off at the lowest management position and moved up twice. The company wants to help you grow and develop your skills. Expectations are clear and the company does a great job educating employees. It is a fun and challenging environment. I love being able to help customers solve problems related to their pets. You have to uphold great customer service, even if the customer is rude or treats you poorly (not a problem for me).

Cons

Retail hours and schedule (unpredictable hours, overnights, weekends, holidays).
    Store effectiveness depends upon the store manager and operations manager. It can be a very miserable working environment if your store manager is not serious about their job (this is true for many jobs).
    Company has been cutting back on hours, constantly pushing you to do more work given shorter amounts of time.

Salon manager

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Potential to grow business and profit

Cons

Corporation, poor management, all about sales

It was fun, flexible, convenient location

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Friendly coworkers, informative, I like the environment

Cons

Standing, low pay rate, but everyone has to start somewhere