PetSmart Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.3

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 67 reviews)

• Worked as a hotel employee for two years - great hours (usually full time hours), long shifts (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation (in 44 reviews)

• There are not enough employees there during the day at anytime, especially in the Pet Care department (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company! Inspiring and motivational place to be with great leaders.

Cons

Customers complaints are a pain. Signage issue continues and all registers need to be updated with surrounding retailers

Not enough opprtunties to move up from Store Manager position

Petsmart

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great place to work. You get to see doggies everyday.

Cons

Pay isn't that great. Sometimes annoying customers come in.

Be nice to your employees.

Lots of Fur, Feathers, and Scales but not much Pay

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Practically therapeutic to go to work, no matter the people drama, or school stress there just aren’t too many places you can go to work and just pick up a handful of hamsters. It’s actually policy to pet dogs! It is basic retail expectations (sales, stocking, facing) but you are compensated with kittens and chinchillas.

Cons

Pay is low for an associate, as well as management (unless you are a store manager) so really this job couldn’t be your primary means of supporting yourself. Even as a second job, it would be a stretch. There is not much in the way of growth because from my observations they do not hire from within. Also, no one was full time, except management and 1 of the trainers.

Consider paying more than minimum wage, or at least promoting from within.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful opportunities, wonderful experience.

Current Employee - Pet Care Manager  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Pet Care Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, pay, and benefits. I started off as a stocker. I worked hard and gave it all I had. Within five months I moved on up to support manager, now I'm a Pet Care Manager. I appreciate my coworkers and the management team whom have helped me to grow.

Cons

Only con is that the holidays - from Black Friday through New Year's Day - are all black out days. So be prepared to not be able to travel during the holiday season.

Would recommend if you are a true animal lover, and are incredibly patient with both pets and people.

Current Employee - Dog Bather
    Current Employee - Dog Bather

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Having the opportunity to work directly with pets is perhaps the best perk to working in the services part of PetSmart (grooming, hotel, reptiles and fish). Management is always willing to work with my schedule, as I work part-time at both PetSmart and another, and I am also a full time college student, so my schedule is usually fairly crazy. The team at my store is awesome, and highly supportive of each other. If you want to become dog groomer, being a dog bather is the first step to being sent off to academy. Dog groomers make relativity good money for the educational requirements and experience required (50% commission off of all services performed by groomer, can see weekly paycheck of $800+ working full time during busy periods)

Cons

A large part of working here is working directly with customers (customer service), which comes with all the challenges commonly associated with it. 98% of the customers you will meet are awesome and wonderful people, the other 2% will ruin your day. Working with the pets is also a challenge in of its self, some dogs will give you problems when it comes to performing the services you need to do with them. Working in the grooming salon can be incredibly stressful at times, as a dog bather you will be required to balance bathing your dogs, performing walk in services (nail trims, ear cleanings, anal gland expressions), answering the phones, and helping out other grooming staff members, it is easy to get behind and hard to catch back up. The pay for dog bathers sucks compared to your dog grooming co workers, don't expect to be making more than a $0.50/hour more from your starting wage if you stick with the company for year and don't move up into grooming.

Pay your service employees more! They are the bread and butter of a large portion of the company, and bring in customers that not only use our services, but also purchase products from the store. I personally have witnessed a large degree of turnover within these departments due to all the stresses of the positions, but also the low pay for the effort required. The most important investment a company can make for its future is in its employees.

as a groomer it's ok, wont be doing this forever.

Current Employee - Dog Groomer
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

you get a raise at 3 months, 6 months, and yearly afterwards. although its only 15 cents, it helps at every 3 months for the first year. i was a bather in the salon and within a year i was sent to the grooming academy where i became a groomer within a month, and now im making 50% commission on all my services. they pay for your academy, you pay for your tools.

Cons

no work life balance. you slave away every single weekend. not to mention holidays. (closed christmas day only) as a groomer you have to have open availability. there is a large "blackout period" where you cant request off from before thanksgiving til after Christmas. very inconvenient for those who want to visit family during the holidays. and you work every weekend during this period, so your best shot of seeing distant family around the holidays is a random tuesday youre scheduled off for, not ideal. requests off at my salon during the rest of the year have to go in 2 months in advance. TWO MONTHS. not two weeks. during slow periods, making commission, you dont do well. compensation should be a small base pay + commission instead of commission only.

start taking employees personal life into consideration.

Passion for the pets and pet parents are real

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

connecting with the pets and the pet parents are a must to live the day to day operation of the store.

Cons

Little training is put to develop the staff , no commitment to long range plans personal goals. the process of operating the store need to be simplified there are more process and check list to be done there is no real communication as to how thing happen or why . hurry up and wait or why are you late for something you had to get done. too many layers of communication that need to be monitored.

I am not sure they are a wear of what is going on in the store and how much is going on . Under cover boss put in at all different level's of the store operation.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

flexible schedules, benefits, fun co-workers

Cons

Salary Caps, ugly uniforms, constant training (a lot of tests)

Show no favoritism

wishy washy corporate management

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

i loved working with the pets, my coworkers and customers. Fun full time work, benefits, and lots of valuable experience in customer service and petcare.

Cons

constant changes in management and excuses every time i asked about a raise or a transfer. Every two weeks someone was bein g swapped out of a department in mgmt.

say what you mean. be somewhat static. and don't put your under-staffing problems on your employees.

Never a dull moment

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Fun working with animals an some of the people are nice to work with.

Cons

Always on a skeleton crew

A 5,10,15 or even a 25 cent raise isn't a blessing its a insult!

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!