PetSmart

3.1
1,157 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Only worth working here if you don't need a lot of money, and you adore animals.

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Lake Grove, NY
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Lake Grove, NY

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Wonderful working with animals, decent pay for a job requiring no actual experience.

Cons

Have to work up to full-time, have to work on call if you work in the pets Hotel, also no holidays off for the hotel associates.

More thorough training, more flexible schedules full time positions to start, and asking associates to volunteer to work holidays, instead of making every associate work a holiday shift.,

Petsmart is rapidly changing going from a publicly traded company to private. This has brought on a lot of uncertainty

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Associates truly care about pets and how they can assist the customers in taking care of them.

Cons

Payroll reductions at store level have made it difficult to complete all of the tasks and maintain scorecard metrics that the company expects. We have been asked to do a lot more, with a lot less. The top 20% of the managers make it happen despite the obstacles.

It's not what you say but what you do. Starting to build distrust of upper management because they have lost sight of what PetSmart use to stand for. Cost reductions have sacrificed customer service in a specialty business that customers truly count on our knowledge.

Up and down. More pay and I would have transferred with the company.

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Omaha, NE

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved getting to work with animals daily. Learned ALOT about so many different types of animals. People were for the most part really good people.

Cons

Pay was lousy. Even after over a year working there, NO raise was offered or even hinted upon. For the amount of knowledge required in this store, the company should accommodate employees better. This would also decrease rapid amounts of turnover due to pay. Also you hear multiple dumb questions from customers, mostly urban myths so be prepared to roll your eyes.

Hire management that know things about the store other than the basics. More times than not I was answering the questions people were asking because my managers weren't sure. Not all management was not knowledgeable though, just some of them. My opinion, if your not willing to do the work yourself, don't ask the employees to do it for you.

Decent place to work compared to most retail.

Former Employee - Presentation Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Presentation Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

The pay is above average. The company offers a lot of training programs to help employee product knowledge. There was always a positive atmosphere.

Cons

Long hours. Hard work does not equal advancement opportunities. Lazy, clueless people are promoted over hard working knowledgeable employees because of their brown nosing abilities.

Good Benefits for Full-time employees

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Petsmart can be a fun place to work depending on who your management team is. The customers are usually very nice to work with and love their pets. It's always fun to be able to see all of the dogs that come into the store. Petsmart provides good benefits for the full-time associate - health, dental and vision with a good vacation package.

Cons

Terrible hours, no life/work balance, always working weekends and holidays. The salaried managers work 50+ hours/weekly and are expected to work more if necessary. The pay for most associates is extremely low for what is expected and even the hourly managers are paid poorly for the amount of work they are expected to do. Never enough associates on the floor and yet the customer service is expected to be stellar. Always cutting hours.

You get what you pay for. If you would pay your associates and managers a decent wage, your turnover wouldn't be as high and you would create more loyalty among the staff. Give the salaried managers at least a decent work/life balance, i.e. holidays off would be nice. Provide enough hours to actually staff the stores so that the customer service can meet the expectations of corporate.

High school summer job worthy, but not much else unless you get up to management.

Former Employee - PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist in Glendale, AZ

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly? The animals. If you're an animal nut this really is a decent place to make some spending cash for a student, or as a temp job between real ones.

Cons

No benefits to speak of, while I was there, and little to no chance of moving up. Also, if you work the PetHotel expect to see some not so fun stuff.

A lot has changed

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Okay work life balance for retail, great customers, loyal associates.

Cons

The company is not what it used to be. There was a time when the executive teamed cared about the operations and store teams. Now, they talk about customer experience and taking care of the associates and then strip the labor until you have a skeleton crew, fire experienced district managers only to open the position to less experienced (and lesser paid) individuals. No heat/air in the stores? Broken toilets or animal habitats? Too bad. There's no money for that, but here are some iPads, use them to generate more sales. It was ridiculous.

My experience was mixed but more bad than good.

Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of experience with many animals and become knowledgable about care for the animals you deal with day in and day out. If you work in the salon as a groomer your pay is much higher than anyone one the floor including management. They TRY to acknowledge your accomplishments with CARE cards that provide how you demonstrated CARE (connect, assist, recognize, energy).

Cons

They expect a lot for the amount of pay associates and managers get. Their training is very minimal and they tend to just throw you in sink or swim. There was never any clarification on certain procedures and because of that we would get in trouble yet when trying to get clarification the words "look it up" were always what management advised. Their procedures for many things are unrealistic and they made you feel more like just a number rather than a person. Reviews were always done 4 months after they should have been and in my store the ops manager would try and use the tactic of manipulation when trying to find out gossip in the store. I felt they focused on minimal things rather than the bigger picture and their employees should be getting more for all the do.

Certain policies like breaking up dog fights are nonrealistic. Management should focus on trying to appreciate associates more and not just when they sell a class or get someone to buy a puppy kit. There really should be actual meetings with associates so that one can get all sides of how to make the store better.

Winds of Change

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance in most cases

Cons

Going through some rough spots currently.

No advancement in sight

Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Marlton, NJ

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with dogs, meet good people

Cons

Pay is horrible, no room for advancement,

Give more opportunities, Actually listen to your employees