PetSmart Reviews

3.3
1,026 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 83 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Still a retail job, hard to get to full time if you aren't a groomer or manager (in 50 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

It feel like I made a deal with the devil.

Current Employee - Order Fill  in  Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Order Fill in Newnan, GA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pet smart have great benefits. After your 90 days are up, u receive 12 hours of sick time (4 hours a month after), 2 weeks of vacation time, 3 doggie bones (10 minute tardiness) and 2 personnel days

Cons

Full time workers have to make a 95% production on a daily or above , temp workers have to make a 100%, a lot of standing and walking, given 5 points for the whole year

We would greatly appreciate it if you would step out of the office and understand what we go through as workers and human being. Working for pet smart is a great job but we have to endure so much just to accommodate pet ,especially on holidays. We love pets as well, but we also love our job and our families. We push our self just to see our production is made and disappointed when it is not(for the ones that work very hard). It's a shame to see hard working people go because of their lm and many people stay because of who is friends with management.

Pet Care: Decent as a first/temporary job. Rewarding work with animals. But, Underpaid, and Undervalued employees.

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working for PetSmart in Pet Care for two years now and I must say, I have learned A LOT about many different animals and how to properly care for them. Working with animals is without a doubt, the best part of this job. Management also does a really good job working with your schedule, so it's perfect if you're busy with college and you need a part-time job. Most of the managers are friendly, and easy to get along with.

Cons

Many complaints about working here. First of all, the pay isn't that great. Raises are very small and promotions are rare. Second, because the employee turnover rate is so high, not many employees are properly trained to meet the needs of the Pet Care department specifically. In addition, management isn't very "picky" about how responsible/hard-working the employees they hire actually are. Thus, in my experience working in Pet Care, I was left cleaning up and fixing a lot of the requirements that my co workers continuously failed to do, either because of improper training or most notably - laziness/carelessness. Perhaps the most frustrating issue working here is that all of my hard work, all of the constant "fixing up" I do, goes completely unnoticed. It makes me want to slack off like my fellow co workers but I take pride in my job and I care about the animals that I work with, that I do not feel right in doing this. It becomes even more frustrating when your "slacker" coworkers get recognition for providing good customer service (CARE employee of the month) when they consistently fail to adequately do their job in the Pet Care department. And aside from the "Pet Care Manager" - most of the other managers don't even know how to do Pet Care duties and thus, do not understand the work load/requirements of this department. It is a fair amount of work in the Pet Care department; there are a number of duties that need to be accomplished daily. These tasks are not at all difficult. But unless you have the opportunity to work with reliable, equally hard-working co-workers to distribute the work load, you will be stuck with a gigantic, never-ending "mess" to clean up, which will inevitably keep you from giving the most "CARE" to customers as you potentially could, and your work ethic will fail to be recognized.

Make sure employees are properly trained before throwing them into work. This creates problems overall for the department and can lead to incorrect habits. Also, take more care and consideration into the work and effort exerted by employees overall rather than focusing on how much an employee is simply walking around the store as a measure of their "CARE." It's great and very important to have someone walk around and provide customer service (CARE!) but it is also important to know when your associates are neglecting their responsibilities and simply pretending to give off the impression that they're giving great customer service. I know that sounds asinine, but my store manager has been so easily fooled by this numerous times that it's depressing. Extremely frustrating. In terms of the Pet Care department: if ALL managers (except hotel & grooming) were at least aware of the daily tasks that needed to be accomplished in pet care, and actually checked if they were done (done CORRECTLY) then, perhaps pet care employees wouldn't feel so under appreciated.

Intern management trainee

Former Employee - Intern Trainee  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern Trainee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned a lot about all aspects in the store.

Cons

No real future with them. Try to make you a manager for cheap after college

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company is quickly changing (wrong direction)

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

play with pets, great benefits

Cons

drastic restructuring, only concerned with investors

Not a good company to work for

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

The animals are the only perk of the job

Cons

Low compensation, high turnover, no management,

Develop your management team

as a groomer it's ok, wont be doing this forever.

Current Employee - Dog Groomer
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

you get a raise at 3 months, 6 months, and yearly afterwards. although its only 15 cents, it helps at every 3 months for the first year. i was a bather in the salon and within a year i was sent to the grooming academy where i became a groomer within a month, and now im making 50% commission on all my services. they pay for your academy, you pay for your tools.

Cons

no work life balance. you slave away every single weekend. not to mention holidays. (closed christmas day only) as a groomer you have to have open availability. there is a large "blackout period" where you cant request off from before thanksgiving til after Christmas. very inconvenient for those who want to visit family during the holidays. and you work every weekend during this period, so your best shot of seeing distant family around the holidays is a random tuesday youre scheduled off for, not ideal. requests off at my salon during the rest of the year have to go in 2 months in advance. TWO MONTHS. not two weeks. during slow periods, making commission, you dont do well. compensation should be a small base pay + commission instead of commission only.

start taking employees personal life into consideration.

Passion for the pets and pet parents are real

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

connecting with the pets and the pet parents are a must to live the day to day operation of the store.

Cons

Little training is put to develop the staff , no commitment to long range plans personal goals. the process of operating the store need to be simplified there are more process and check list to be done there is no real communication as to how thing happen or why . hurry up and wait or why are you late for something you had to get done. too many layers of communication that need to be monitored.

I am not sure they are a wear of what is going on in the store and how much is going on . Under cover boss put in at all different level's of the store operation.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

flexible schedules, benefits, fun co-workers

Cons

Salary Caps, ugly uniforms, constant training (a lot of tests)

Show no favoritism

wishy washy corporate management

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

i loved working with the pets, my coworkers and customers. Fun full time work, benefits, and lots of valuable experience in customer service and petcare.

Cons

constant changes in management and excuses every time i asked about a raise or a transfer. Every two weeks someone was bein g swapped out of a department in mgmt.

say what you mean. be somewhat static. and don't put your under-staffing problems on your employees.

Never a dull moment

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Fun working with animals an some of the people are nice to work with.

Cons

Always on a skeleton crew

A 5,10,15 or even a 25 cent raise isn't a blessing its a insult!

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!