PetSmart Reviews

1,574 Employee Reviews

1. was good for awhile

Former Employee - Lead Cashier
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier

I worked at PetSmart (More than 10 years)

Pros

At the time the flexibility and fun work environment. The staff and customers were like family.

Cons

Due to changes at the corporate level, pressure increased as to sales and the focus was taken away from building the relationships that bring the customers back to the store.

Purchased by European BC Partners Co in 3/15 no longer a cool Co to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

I used to have quite a few Pro's, but this New Ownership came in 3/2015 and we have turned from a Pet Loving Company to all about the Numbers! No doubt BC partners took us private to work on some serious expansion, run some lean solid financials over the next 3-5 years, wow the public with the numbers, and then present us back for sale to make millions.

Cons

New Store Manager pay was looking to be 20-25% less as I was leaving. The new Ownership was going lean! Trimming staff, expenses, running the Stores hard and lean.....expecting more results....standard buyout story these days

Advice to Management

They all left.....90% of the old Corporate staff is gone! They saw the New Ownership coming in with a whole different angle then we all signed up for...and got out of Dodge!

3. The pets make customers genuinely happy which in turn makes the job environment nice.

Current Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pets make smiles Lovely ladies in there all the time Laid back environment Inside job out of the weather and elements

Cons

Work schedule can change up Most of the employees seem to be part time. They will work you right up to the 28 hour mark. This keeps them from having to offer benefits to the majority of employees.

Advice to Management

None

5. PetsHotel

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

You get to work with dogs and learn about different dog breeds. Also get a discount.

Cons

Co workers were rude and made you feel dumb if you didn't do something right. I never got properly trained. I always had to follow someone around asking what to do and how to do it because nobody ever taught me how.

Advice to Management

Hire nicer people, the Senior Associates are very rude to their co workers. Have a better training system for your employees.

I loved PetSmart!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are all about team work. They help you whenever you need. If you work hard, you get a raise every few months. After a couple of years, you get promoted to either management, or a customer lead in your department (the best thing next to management). They offer the highest pay in retail so far and I've worked 4 years in retail, sales, and customer service. It has been my favorite place to work so far of any job I've had.

Cons

There were not enough full-time positions available company-wide. The hours are not set regularly. They vary from week to week if you are part time, which didn't work for me because I needed a set income based on my expenses.

Operations manager

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benifits, room to move up, working with pets

Cons

No work life balance, expected to preform even without the tools to do so. Cuts in associate hours so salary managers have to work on days off. High expectation of customer service with little to no labor to do it.

Advice to Management

stop cutting hours from the stores, how can you expect the business to grow if you have no one in your stores to run the business.

Company Review

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Employees get along well with each other, learn a lot about animals. Positive atmosphere. Flexible work hours and time off.

Cons

Open door policy and confidentiality is not what they state. If you report a concern, it is not going to be kept confidential. Also, if you go above your immediate supervisor be careful. They will be advised and names will be reported. Also, very low pay.

Advice to Management

Care more about employees than looking good to upper management. Do not hold grudges against an employee when they report a concern or problem. Listen to them and don't treat them like dirt.

PetSmart

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

You get to see pets of all shapes and sizes come into the store! Pets that are ready to be bought or adopted, and pets that are brought in by their owners. Co-workers learn about the various pets and help each other understand the various pets or food that we sell to our pets. There is a training program that helps you understand a few of the the different foods that are sold in the store.

Cons

Like all stores, you have to look out for people who will be trying to steal from the company; from shop-lifting to returning stolen items. This can make you want to distrust your customers, which I don't like personally. However, if you have a big heart and are able to handle those customers, then I hope you can give some hope or light or whatever to your co-workers. Some get very frustrated and even have a grumpy attitude because of how many customer they have to deal with per day that drain their energy.

Advice to Management

My manager have been great. So I can't give them advice.

10. Grooming/Bather

Current Employee - Pet Groomer
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love petsmart!! The people I work with are great and so are the animals

Cons

not as much hours as I would like

Advice to Management

Love the managers at my store!

11. Great work environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Brunswick, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Brunswick, GA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Love meeting new petparents. I get to see different types of animals. Love all the dogs. They know when they come to the check out line they get a treat before they leave but they have to sit. It's so cute they sit before you can even get the words out your mouth. I have a wonderful management team they are awesome. All of my co workers are very nice and friendly. We all get along and respect each other as co workers. I have never had a job that I loved so much until I started at Petsmart. I wouldn't change a thing about my store. Everyone helps every one. Teamwork is what you have at my store and that's really hard to find. Love my store and the people in it,couldn't ask for a better team including managers.

Cons

I can't complain about a thing!!!!!

Advice to Management

None!!!

Showing 1,574 of 1,584 reviews