PetSmart Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Customer Service

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

animals, people, customers, fun atmosphere

Cons

Scheduling was a bit sporadic and unpredictable.

Great job for those who love animals and enjoy working with people!

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Cape Coral, FL
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Cape Coral, FL

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Great work structure. Open door policy. Ethical treatment of pets in their care.

Cons

Wonderful culture in many stores but some have issues due to store management and retention.

Advice to Management

Embrace and lead the culture. Hold onto your strong employees, just because it's retail doesn't mean everyone is expendable and easily replaced.

Your attitude makes the difference

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

I love working here! The people are all awesome. Generally animal lovers are... You get the occasional person where it's "just a job" but if you're going in with a passion for animals and helping pet parents build sweet moments and memories with their pets, then you'll do just great! I started in petcare and t was so much fun.... You have to make some tough calls at times... But it is rewarding. I'm moving into full time as a groomer soon, I love the changability this job gives you.

Cons

having a bad attitude generally means you're going to have a bad day. It rubs off onto every person you encounter, making them more sour towards you. So, if you want to have a good day, have a great "can do" attitude.

Advice to Management

Management is doing awesome. They know their job and do it well. My only advice is... If it doesn't matter what order someone does something in.... Just let them do the things they need to do. Chances are they know the efficiency of their own work. Letting them go and do, as long as it's being done right, is the best course of action.

5. Love it

Pros

Love my job ! Great people customers and pets!

Cons

No cons. Move up quickly and enjoy work

Groomer

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Kingston, NY
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Kingston, NY

Pros

love the animals and get to do what I love

Cons

some of the people bring to much drama to work

7. Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great company to work for. Management are great at having you reach your potential

Cons

not getting enough experience working with animals

Advice to Management

Promotions are hard to get

8. Pet Care Associate

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in El Paso, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have currently worked here for over a year now, and I absolutely love it! This was my first job, and the managers and co-workers were very helpful in training me into becoming a Pet Care associate. I've made so many friendships, and have connected with many people. My pet care manager is absolutely wonderful person.

Cons

There can be drama within some coworkers, but where isn't there any? Just work your best, and the managers will definitely notice.

9. Review

Former Employee - E4 - Army - Specialist/Corporal in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - E4 - Army - Specialist/Corporal in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best place for animal products

Cons

Like most things management can always use work

I love working with animals, so this was a great fit for me.

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Marlton, NJ
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My favorite thing about this job is the fact that I get to work so closely with animals every single day. As a pet care associate I mostly deal with pet parents that are looking for fish or small animals such as hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas, etc. I love learning new things, and this is a great job where you have to be quick on your feet with pet parents and always be willing to learn new things. Another major bonus is the friendly environment that my store, in particular, provides. All of my coworkers and my managers are extremely friendly and make this job so much more enjoyable.

Cons

Probably the most difficult part of working at PetSmart, especially as a pet care associate, is the fact that you have to know A LOT about animals. Much of the time you will have questions dealing with setting up a proper environment for an animal or fish, or questions about a sick pet, and what can be done about it. If you are willing to put in the time to learn about all the animals and all the fish (as well as the products carried in the store) you won't have a very had time, but it is A LOT to learn. Also, the pay is better than minimum wage, but the amount of work that this job requires does not equal the wages set by upper management.

Advice to Management

Store management (in Marlton): keep doing what you're doing, you are providing a great environment to work in. You all provide a friendly work environment where we feel like we are part of a team. Upper management, maybe even to the corporate level: this job is not as easy as you may think. Not only is it a retail store, which in general is a stressful environment, it is also a pet store where pet parents come in daily with questions about what is best for their pet, what toys to buy, what food to get, what sort of filtration their fish tank should have, etc. We, as employees are required to either know this information, or find someone who does, and that puts a lot of responsibility on us. There is no equivalent to how a store like PetSmart is. Pet parents trust in us to make decisions and provide advice for their pets - no - their members of their family, and we get compensated just the same as any other retail job: a bit over minimum wage. This job requires a lot of knowledge, a lot of willingness to learn, and exceptional customer service. I believe, as well as I'm sure many of my coworkers do as well, that we should be compensated for this. The amount of work that we put in is worth much more than what we are getting paid.

11. Cashier/ customer service

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Kind workers that will work with you

Cons

The job is a little repetitive

Showing 224 of 1,683 reviews