PetSmart

3.2
1,164 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible experience and potentially destroyed lives

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers and some of the coworkers are good people but for the most part you will work for terrible lazy people in management.

Cons

Salon is a mill and weekly injuries of animals occur and salon associates are drama filled people that don't care about the dogs the give care to.
    Management is lazy and untrustworthy
    The hours are minimal and you will be expected to sell sell sell while being chained to the register
    You will be lulled into security and fired as if you are nothing.
    They cut the hours yet give iPads to every store and you will be expected to get ipad sales with minimal help.
    Animals in care for sale are treated as if they are disposable with no regard to constant sickness.
    Field management will treat you as if you are disposable. Rude hateful people will be promoted ahead of good people.

I was GM and fired without warning, no second chance. Find employment elsewhere. This is a pathetic company that will lie to you and support pathetic excuses for managers and let good people go. You will be forced to work with minimal hours and e pelted to deliver sales growth with less people than ever. They are going downhill.

So cool

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

you're in a fun environment and surrounded by good people! What more could you want ?! Check this out

Cons

Not enough hours and sometimes crappy shifts
    I hope you ask them before you're hired

Great place to work.

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Ability for dog lovers to work exclusively with dogs and management is employee-friendly; great benefits; can move into management if so desire.

Cons

Positions are limited and little room for expanding compensation in certain areas. Huge corporation, so limited a bit by company policy and procedure.

Okay place

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

If you love working with animals

Cons

Better pay would be nice

Current associate

Current Employee - Support Manager in McCarran, NV
    Current Employee - Support Manager in McCarran, NV

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is truly been one of the best cultures I've ever worked in. There is a lot of emphasis on engagement and connecting with the team. There are bonuses and rewards such as safety lunches and family barbecues. The company goes a long way to ensure that all associates are appreciated from entry-level up through senior leaders.

Cons

The distribution center is far from conveniences such as restaurants and shops. So if you have to do errands, do not plan on doing them at lunch. The work environment can be physical, but associates applying for this role do you understand this as they apply.

I enjoyed working there but left for money they can't match.

Former Employee - Cashier/Petcare Associate
    Former Employee - Cashier/Petcare Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is room to move up, pretty flexible about time off as long as you tell them more than two weeks advance, animals are always treated well and even if corporate's policies were dumb associates did their best to make sure all animals were well taken care of. Fun place to work, still have friends there.

Cons

Don't pay well enough to keep store associates, takes a little while to move up, longer than I wanted to wait. I was only part time so no benefits.

This is more of a corporate issue but they need to PAY BETTER. I made $9 an hour and that was more than any other associate at that store except for a couple who had worked there for 5-7 years and made $9 and change... Managers need to get their heads out of their butts and realize when an employee needs recognition! Some of the managers were great, but the upper management not so much.

Former dog/ cat groomer

Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and steady work. Had a chance for advancement until I turned a man in for dog abuse. So if you keep your head down and don't make waves you can be a manager!

Cons

Terrible management... a man at my store was turned in multiple times for animal abuse and it wasn't just by employees, customers too! This man still works there as a groomer. Pathetic.

Get it together... you're in the business of keeping pets healthy.

In Store Management Issues

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Eagan, MN

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Part time PTO
    Part time health care
    Fun place to work
    Pay based on experience
    Good training for position

Cons

Management Training lacking
    A lot of experiences with unethical people
    Leadership lacks
    Hiring and promotion to a management positions are done carelessly

Don't promise promotions to people with no intention of following through. Be more careful on who you hire or promote to management positions. Verbal harassment is never okay. Never let an employee leave disgruntled.

I was Wronged!

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Saginaw, MI

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the job, best job ever.

Cons

A LOT of information in the Care Sheets is incorrect.
    My store cared more about selling animals than actual care. They sold guinea pigs that were tested positive for ringworm. I was also illegally fired. Called caresmart, no one did anything.
    When I moved to cashier I found out that they were NOT training new Pet Care members properly, Managers were very rude and my store had a lot of Illegal activity!!!

My store had a lot of illegal activity in higher management. I also suggest that you redo your care sheets to be more up to date and accurate. Also, in my store at least, no one knew anything at all that was correct about ferrets. The food we sell for ferrets is very unhealthy for them, and the treats we sell can actually kill them. I suggest more information about ferrets, and a larger ferret section. Also, I suggest that it be 100% mandatory that they do complete system treatments for Ick on a regular basis...

Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers who bring in their pets
    Some of the employees in the stores are great people

Cons

Cold company demeanor.
    Long hours and work on days off.
    The number of sickly animals arriving too young or with over breeding ailments.
    Learning that the business is strictly about the profit.

Listen to your employees on the front lines