PetSmart Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
1367 reviews filtered by

Your workday experience is heavily influenced by the management team.

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Customer interactions, building relationships, hands on experience

Cons

Exhausting, both physically and mentally.

Advice to Management

Address problems with the individuals causing them instead of the whole team.

Great company to start out with!

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Bethel, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Bethel, PA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get to share my love for animals with everyone I work with.

Cons

Can be stressful at times.

Could be better

Current Employee - Petcare/Cashier
    Current Employee - Petcare/Cashier

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can be fun to work with the animals.

Cons

Worked at 2 different stores, the first one was a positive experience. Second not so much thanks to management. They had no idea what was going on in their own department. Store manager didn't have knowledge about animals and spent all his time in the office, the open door policy was a joke, nothing would change. People were promoted based on butt kissing and not actual work ethic.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what is happening in the store and the floor. Value your employees then maybe the employee turnover won't be so high and they will try harder at their job.

Working with this company has been very beneficial but my personal experience isn't the best.

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Going through grooming academy was a great opportunity. I learned a life time skill while earning an income. Good for growth.

Cons

Commission pay for grooming isn't always beneficial. You can set appointments all day but if the clients don't show up or you're prevented to work for whatever reason you're not making money.

Advice to Management

Try being more understanding and respectful with those who bring in so much income for the store and get a better scheduling system.

6. store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at PetSmart (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only thing that is good about PetSmart is the Pay and benefits. They are great.

Cons

Sketchy suppliers of animals. Backwards policies. Really just a business. Don't care about animals. Company culture is a joke. Be prepared to give up any semblance of a life to manage for petsmart. No balance.

Advice to Management

Work on giving your people a work life balance. Practice what you preach.

7. Overall the Company is good to work for.

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Vacation and sick time is earned easily. Employee discount is nice.

Cons

Health insurance is kind of expensive. I worked in one of the top 10 stores and it was very demanding physically. I enjoyed most of my tenure but in the end the management was too hostile.

8. stressful and have stupid tasks that take away from customer support

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they have adopted out over 6 millions pets, they care about their associates. the new owners could make it better

Cons

way to task oriented and wouldn't give store management the labor needed to complete tasks and take care of customers

Advice to Management

plan on working more than 60 hours a week in order to get things done.

9. I am SO very glad I longer work at PetSmart!

Former Employee - Pet Training Instructor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Pet Training Instructor in Seattle, WA

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

Having the opportunity to work with lots of dogs and pet parents, and help to improve their lives.

Cons

I could write a book! Unqualified managers with poor communications and leadership skills; borderline and worse associates allowed to continue working, with no training or correction to result in better performance; a complete lack of recognition and positive reinforcement; lack of support; mistreatment of associates and managers by superiors; lack of accountability; a substantial lack of work ethic - the list is endless! Personally, I was mistreated by my first store manager, who retaliated against me after I complained of outrageous conduct by an area pet trainer - someone the manager herself was previously warned about! the mistreatment continued for years and I was never allowed to advance. The company terminated the positions of over 2000 trainers in February, "allowing" us to continue as cashiers. I recently resigned and feel absolutely WONDERFUL about doing so.

Advice to Management

YOUR EMPLOYEES ARE YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET! Treat them well and they will pay you back in spades. This is obviously a concept you have absolutely no grasp of.

10. Pretty good !

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Great environment, you learn a lot ! 15% discount.

Cons

I had no problem until I went on a medical leave. Before I came back I told them just to stick to my 30+ hour schedule, and for two weeks straight I only was receiving 10 hours a week. Put my two weeks notice in, one week was 6 hours, the next was 3.

Advice to Management

When someone quits and gives a two week notice, and comes to every shift - don't label them as unrehirable.

Not enough care for their associates

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Irving, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Neat environment [Not to be mixed up with fun]
    At first I loved working here, it was nerve racking but fun to get to be around dogs and all that. The hardest thing to learn at first was clipping nails, but now it's no big deal. My first manager was horrible, she'd scream at us in front of customers and make us feel like we were stupid when we asked a genuinely honest question. First as a bather they overbook you dogs without caring about your workload. Then they don't care about your availability, they get annoyed and then ignore it so they give you shifts when you said you can't take them. Finally if they decide they thing you'd be a good groomer they send you to academy which is awesome. it's fun, but the grooming part is okay. Don't get me wrong I LOVE grooming and working with dogs, but it's the fact that all the policies they have is just too much. Don't do that, do that, but don't do that, no not like that. It's ridiculous. I'm a rule follower, but even this is too strict. You can't have any fun without management saying no and killing it. They also don't maintain the salon. Things break and you can put in a work order for it but they never fix it. The AC is broken in our salon and it's 80 degrees in there, plus we're in texas in spring heading straight for summer. They don't care about their associates at all.

Cons

Crap management
    Insane policies
    Favoritism
    Associates ignored
    horrible and maintained working conditions
    untrained management
    crap pay

Advice to Management

Properly and consistently train management
    Listen to Associates
    Maintain work environments
    Lift some of the insane policies