PetSmart

3.2
1,166 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Benefits for Full-time employees

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Petsmart can be a fun place to work depending on who your management team is. The customers are usually very nice to work with and love their pets. It's always fun to be able to see all of the dogs that come into the store. Petsmart provides good benefits for the full-time associate - health, dental and vision with a good vacation package.

Cons

Terrible hours, no life/work balance, always working weekends and holidays. The salaried managers work 50+ hours/weekly and are expected to work more if necessary. The pay for most associates is extremely low for what is expected and even the hourly managers are paid poorly for the amount of work they are expected to do. Never enough associates on the floor and yet the customer service is expected to be stellar. Always cutting hours.

You get what you pay for. If you would pay your associates and managers a decent wage, your turnover wouldn't be as high and you would create more loyalty among the staff. Give the salaried managers at least a decent work/life balance, i.e. holidays off would be nice. Provide enough hours to actually staff the stores so that the customer service can meet the expectations of corporate.

A lot has changed

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Okay work life balance for retail, great customers, loyal associates.

Cons

The company is not what it used to be. There was a time when the executive teamed cared about the operations and store teams. Now, they talk about customer experience and taking care of the associates and then strip the labor until you have a skeleton crew, fire experienced district managers only to open the position to less experienced (and lesser paid) individuals. No heat/air in the stores? Broken toilets or animal habitats? Too bad. There's no money for that, but here are some iPads, use them to generate more sales. It was ridiculous.

My experience was mixed but more bad than good.

Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of experience with many animals and become knowledgable about care for the animals you deal with day in and day out. If you work in the salon as a groomer your pay is much higher than anyone one the floor including management. They TRY to acknowledge your accomplishments with CARE cards that provide how you demonstrated CARE (connect, assist, recognize, energy).

Cons

They expect a lot for the amount of pay associates and managers get. Their training is very minimal and they tend to just throw you in sink or swim. There was never any clarification on certain procedures and because of that we would get in trouble yet when trying to get clarification the words "look it up" were always what management advised. Their procedures for many things are unrealistic and they made you feel more like just a number rather than a person. Reviews were always done 4 months after they should have been and in my store the ops manager would try and use the tactic of manipulation when trying to find out gossip in the store. I felt they focused on minimal things rather than the bigger picture and their employees should be getting more for all the do.

Certain policies like breaking up dog fights are nonrealistic. Management should focus on trying to appreciate associates more and not just when they sell a class or get someone to buy a puppy kit. There really should be actual meetings with associates so that one can get all sides of how to make the store better.

Winds of Change

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance in most cases

Cons

Going through some rough spots currently.

No advancement in sight

Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Marlton, NJ

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with dogs, meet good people

Cons

Pay is horrible, no room for advancement,

Give more opportunities, Actually listen to your employees

Has gone downhill the last few years, but can still be a good company if you work at the right store.

Current Employee - Presentation Manager
    Current Employee - Presentation Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a lot of fun working with animals. And while I've said a lot of things in the cons, some times it can be rewarding. If you get a great store manager it makes all the difference, as they definitely make it fun to go to work.

Cons

Recently corporate has made a shift in how many hours the store gets. They cut back our hours drastically. Before last year hourly managers used to work 45 hours a week minimum, so we got 5 hours guaranteed overtime. They cut our hours down to 40, their reasoning being we could spend more time outside of work with family/friends. They were supposed to raise our hourly rate to compensate for the cut in hours/overtime (so we would be paid exactly the same, but work 5 hours less a week). Well, that didn't happen. They definitely raised the rate, but not to compensate completely. I'm making less money than I was before, and almost every week I still end up getting a few hours of overtime. I'm also working harder since I have to do the same amount of work as before, but in less time.

Also the store managers definitely vary. You can have a great store manager or you can be stuck with a terrible one. And while they talk about opportunities for advancement, it doesn't happen very often. A lot of time the store managers don't promote people in the various departments to lead positions, and it often takes months for any kind of promotion to go through.

There's also a lot of pressure to get things done in time, and most of the time the deadlines are unrealistic with the amount of help we now have.

Make the store a fun place to work at. Talk to your associates more often and tell them how much of a good job they're doing. Don't bend to every whim of the district manager. And give us the proper amount of hours to do our job.

Good culture for the most part

Current Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual attire, Bring pets to work everyday, fitness facility on campus, daycare on campus, pet events on campus

Cons

lots of politics and favoratism

Just OK

Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers and pets are fantastic to work with! Associates work well with each other. Employee discount is nice.

Cons

Hardly anyone to help due to labor crunches. Many tasks not focusing on the customers. Lots of turmoil from upper leadership and lacks communication

Don't lose sight of your customers and store associates

Enjoyable work with animals, hit or miss with people

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Bel Air, MD
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Bel Air, MD

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hands-on work with dogs, communicative and collaborative atmosphere which is a plus with the right coworkers, not so much with the wrong ones.

Cons

Pushiness leads to promotion, leading to less than desirable experience with management. This was an isolated experience with one person, however.

Promote based on people skills; management has to deal with customers and employees. Rifts occur if only the longest tenured, most bullheaded and unbridled person makes it to management.

Getting out of hand

Former Employee - Management in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Management in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to know great people that work just as hard as you do. If you are a good leader, you can build a great team and enjoy your job some what.

Cons

Out of control pricing. New prices to be put up almost every weekend. A huge cut in labor hours in 2014 placing huge expectations that are completely out of reach. Salaried managers are expected to pick up the extra work and pretty much live at the store doing all of the jobs of the hourly associates and managers weren't able to complete due to not having enough employees to do the job. Pay is low for the amount of work that you are expected to do. With more pay, it would be a little more doable with the high expectations.

Give some labor back and quit trying to reinvent the wheel. Get pricing done correctly the first time.